England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
In my opinion, you'd have to argue pretty hard that he's the best English centre-back. In fact, I'd say he isn't even the best English centre-back at his own club, let alone the country.

I think that between Ferdinand's injuries and his declining pace, it's probably time to bring new blood into the setup. He's also continuing with his bizarre obsession of playing about 10 yards deeper than any other defender, which really doesn't help matters. Moreover, Ferdinand's lack of pace wouldn't be such a problem if he could play a more advanced role, the stopper rather than the sweeper if you will. However, not only is it not his favoured position, but we've got better defenders suited to it and crucially only one who has the speed and reading of the game to properly sweep (Jagielka).

As such, my dislike of Ferdinand for England is based mostly upon horses for courses, not necessarily player quality. However, I'd be intrigued to see how he offers more to a squad, in your opinion, than the versatile Kelly.
You seriously think Phil Jones or Chris Smalling are better players than Ferdinand?
You're being extremely harsh on him here. He's played more in the last two seasons than Gerrard has and his apparently declining pace hasn't really affected his performances this season. He hasn't missed a game due to injury since January and he played 3 games in 7 days in March. Ferdinand managed 30 premier league games this season, Kelly hasn't even managed that in his career.
I think at this point it's fairly obvious that he's not missing out due to football reasons.

You seriously think Phil Jones or Chris Smalling are better players than Ferdinand?
You're being extremely harsh on him here. He's played more in the last two seasons than Gerrard has and his apparently declining pace hasn't really affected his performances this season. He hasn't missed a game due to injury since January and he played 3 games in 7 days in March. Ferdinand managed 30 premier league games this season, Kelly hasn't even managed that in his career.
I think at this point it's fairly obvious that he's not missing out due to football reasons.

I dont think anyone will be fooling themselves saying "Ferdinand omission was for footballing reason". It will take delusion to whole new level. It was plain obvious for everyone to see.

You're really winning the prize for the most unlucky NT at this point, some bad luck recently!

I dont think anyone will be fooling themselves saying "Ferdinand omission was for footballing reason". It will take delusion to whole new level. It was plain obvious for everyone to see.

Disagree. I wouldn't have taken Rio.

I haven't looked into the numbers of this yet... but I'm just thinking, by the time the world cup comes around, besides Rooney and Hart, who is going to still be in that squad with more than 20 caps?

Disagree. I wouldn't have taken Rio.

Ofcourse, why will you. After all he was at the heart of one of the best defense in the league playing around 30 league games and bring best CB for the team.

Ofcourse, why will you. After all he was at the heart of one of the best defense in the league playing around 30 league games and bring best CB for the team.

The fact Terry has been taken over Rio is a lack of respect in it self.

Because he is very old, injury prone, and I'd like to give people like Jagielka and Lescott a chance in a major tournament. Jagielka is easily the most complete English centre back - combined with the title-winning Lescott, you have a good partnership, that also has little baggage.

Because he is very old, injury prone, and I'd like to give people like Jagielka and Lescott a chance in a major tournament. Jagielka is easily the most complete English centre back - combined with the title-winning Lescott, you have a good partnership, that also has little baggage.

I agree this would be the best partnership, but we all know full ****** well that Terry will start with either Lescott/Jagielka, that is why it is such a joke.

Old? Yes. He has not missed a league game since jan due to injury.

Also discussion was Roy dropping Rio was not footballing reason as it was plain obvious yesterday. You may select him or select Shawcross, that's not the issue here.

There isn't a CB in England who can read the game like Rio.

How old was Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Parker, Barry? So only Rio is old isn't it.

Curious to know who is? Forget English or Irish, he is the best CB at his club. Second comes Evans and Smalling.

His pace has declined and he has adapted to new role superbly. He hardly put a foot wrong since the City game.

Re call up, Roy ****** it up with the initial squad by not naming Carrick and Richards. Then it had to be Terry or Rio, he chose Terry but to give 'footballing reason' was beyond joke.

Even if Lescott, Jags get injured I dont think Rio will get call up, after all what happened at Loftus road.

The fact Terry has been taken over Rio is a lack of respect in it self.

Your forgetting that old red chops stated that Ferdinand could not play 2 games in 4 days and England have 3 in 8 i believe. That is the reason why he was not taken. Carrick basically omitted himself through pretty disgusting behavior and if it was any of the hate figures then they would have been slated big time.

Your forgetting that old red chops stated that Ferdinand could not play 2 games in 4 days and England have 3 in 8 i believe. That is the reason why he was not taken. Carrick basically omitted himself through pretty disgusting behavior and if it was any of the hate figures then they would have been slated big time.

And then Rio played 3 games in 8 days in March or april.

This is what Roy said:

"I'm also wary of that because I know there have been times in the season where Rio has played three matches in a week.

"I would be lying if that [the ability to play matches close together] was the major reason for not selecting him.

"It was purely on other footballing reasons.

And then Rio played 3 games in 8 days in March or april.

This is what Roy said:

Well funilly enough people are allowed opinions. You have yours, i have mine and Roy has his. Just because he doesn't wat Rio in his England sqaud does not mean he is being disrespectful and for his people to think other wise is just plain big headed.

Well funilly enough people are allowed opinions. You have yours, i have mine and Roy has his. Just because he doesn't wat Rio in his England sqaud does not mean he is being disrespectful and for his people to think other wise is just plain big headed.
If it was the other way round and Rio was in the squad but not Terry in the same circumstances, I guarantee you would be saying the same thing

Hopefully Roy comes to sense and realises our best CB pairing is Jags and Lescott, Terry can be a bench warmer. Obviously this will not happen though, which is a ****** **** take to be honest.

What? You asked about Rio being not able to play 3 games in 8 days and that's the reason for his omission whereas Roy himself said that was not the reason.

I dont know why you went on about the obvious "Everyone is entitled to their opinions".

And btw we all know the reason why Rio is not in the squad.

If it was the other way round and Rio was in the squad but not Terry in the same circumstances, I guarantee you would be saying the same thing

You couldn't be more wrong, i was hoping he left JT out the squad. As gutted for Lamps and Gazza i am pleased they will get a full summers rest.

Hopefully Roy comes to sense and realises our best CB pairing is Jags and Lescott, Terry can be a bench warmer. Obviously this will not happen though, which is a ****** **** take to be honest.

It's all his opinion, my opinion is that JT is the better defender but you have yours and other have theirs etc. There are valid reasons for all being the better CB or forming the best CB partnership, but its down to the manager to decide that. If JT doesn't start then thank **** for that i say, at least he won't be used as a scapegoat.

What? You asked about Rio being not able to play 3 games in 8 days and that's the reason for his omission whereas Roy himself said that was not the reason.

I dont know why you went on about the obvious "Everyone is entitled to their opinions".

And btw we all know the reason why Rio is not in the squad.

Why because Hodgson is a racist now, that is basically what you are implying.

Eh? If he was Racist Johnson, Cole, Welbeck wouldn't be in the squad.

Nice try though.

So why is he not in the squad then? You are implying he is not in the squad because of this whole "race row" so Hodgson must believe Terry then yer?

Back