England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
If it was down to our tactical approach I would be saying the thing, but some of the omissons are seriously alarming. I await to see if Carrick is called up.

Was some fluff which came via quiet chats about Hodgson choosing this squad based on players not nailed on for a first team place not being whiney sods if they weren't playing. There's method there. Not sure whether he'll get the players right for the first team, but can see where he's coming from if that's what he is doing. Should take credit for that if he gets it right.

After watching Carroll and Suarez rip EBJT a new one the other night, I'm thinking he's taking the one but then dropping EBJT is probably a step too far given the mutual cheerleading society going on there.

Just been to homebase for some razor blades incase any of these rumuors are true, hope neville has a big say in this squad selection, if richards,carrick,scholes are'nt picked and we take donkeys like lampard,carrol etc i will kill myself and really fear for englands chances!

How is it a safe choice exactly? Safe as in we can rest assured that he won't deliver. He's past it.

Hooper's only played at Championship level and a league of its equal.. yet so had Jelavic. Jelavic has 11 goals in 12 games or something ridiculous.

Gary Hooper has scored 44 goals in his last 63 league games. If we can turn that down - we must have someone good lined up. Bobby Zamora over Hooper would be ******* stupid.

I think Jelavic is in a small minority to come from Scotland and do well, remember Kris Boyd??? Isn't he the all time top scorer? Zamora would be a gamble but Roy got the best form out of Zamora so maybe he is thinking that.

Just been to homebase for some razor blades incase any of these rumuors are true, hope neville has a big say in this squad selection, if richards,carrick,scholes are'nt picked and we take donkeys like lampard,carrol etc i will kill myself and really fear for englands chances!

Lampard and donkey just shouldn't be in the same sentence!!!!

You laugh at the suggestion of Gary Hooper, a young player who's been scoring absolute shitloads for his club this season, but not at the suggestion of a 32-year old Joe Cole, who's been in dire form?

Cole-tinted glasses off, please.

32!? He's only 30.. Still, agree with your point though. He's been poor at Lille, the only reason they like him is because it's rare for a French club to sign an England international.

Was some fluff which came via quiet chats about Hodgson choosing this squad based on players not nailed on for a first team place not being whiney sods if they weren't playing. There's method there. Not sure whether he'll get the players right for the first team, but can see where he's coming from if that's what he is doing. Should take credit for that if he gets it right.

After watching Carroll and Suarez rip EBJT a new one the other night, I'm thinking he's taking the one but then dropping EBJT is probably a step too far given the mutual cheerleading society going on there.

Interesting, allowing for settled atmosphere, but Richards probably would have been a starter? DS i totally understand, and actually agree with, but things like possibly recalling Joe Cole? crazy.

Re Ferdinand, Hodgson is apparently saying that he hasn't taken because of fitness, which would be fair enough although he hasn't actually missed a game since Jan 22. But it smacks of the other issue, and if he is doing just to pacify some parts of media or whatever, its a hiding to nothing. Ideally you take neither player. England have the options there.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Interesting, allowing for settled atmosphere, but Richards probably would have been a starter? DS i totally understand, and actually agree with, but things like possibly recalling Joe Cole? crazy.

Re Ferdinand, Hodgson is apparently saying that he hasn't taken because of fitness, which would be fair enough although he hasn't actually missed a game since Jan 22. But it smacks of the other issue, and if he is doing just to pacify some parts of media or whatever, its a hiding to nothing. Ideally you take neither player. England have the options there.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

Maybe he rates Terry over Rio who knows?? That wouldn't be such a surprise, no doubt the race card will be played though if his answer isn't what the media/Rio wants. I think Fergie helped make his mind up when he said Rio can't play 2 games in 4 days, England have 3 in 8.

Seriously, are you really doing this?? How old are you?
Calm down! just dont think lampard should go imo has been a good player for chelsea, just seems to be hit and miss for england and am sure not the only person that thinks this, would take scholes,carrick,barry,gerrard,parker and cleverly if ready any time of the day.

Maybe he rates Terry over Rio who knows?? That wouldn't be such a surprise, no doubt the race card will be played though if his answer isn't what the media/Rio wants. I think Fergie helped make his mind up when he said Rio can't play 2 games in 4 days, England have 3 in 8.

Rio has play 2 in 4 since January, so that isnt the issue. Again Rio didnt say anything, he was dropped before the squad was announced, shortly after which Roy went to see Terry. Which has led Rio to believe that its because of that he is dropped. You shouldn't be taking either player in all honesty.

Calm down! just dont think lampard should go imo has been a good player for chelsea, just seems to be hit and miss for england and am sure not the only person that thinks this, would take scholes,carrick,barry,gerrard,parker and cleverly if ready any time of the day.

So Gerrard hasn't also been hit and miss for England nah? Lampard has a knack of scoring important goals and over the last 2 months has become massive for Chelsea. He was heavily involved in 2 goals against Barca, set up Drogba's goal vs Spurs and Liverpool.

Rio has play 2 in 4 since January, so that isnt the issue. Again Rio didnt say anything, he was dropped before the squad was announced, shortly after which Roy went to see Terry. Which has led Rio to believe that its because of that he is dropped. You shouldn't be taking either player in all honesty.

Well Ferguson seems to think he can't so maybe that is the reasoning behind it, but like I said as the country is at the moment im sure the race issue will be bought up again. Something Ian McGarry tweeted earlier and you cannot disagree with it either.

I have sympathy for Rio but this looks like a purely football decision. Terry fitter, a leader, scores goals and #England record excellent.

So Gerrard hasn't also been hit and miss for England nah? Lampard has a knack of scoring important goals and over the last 2 months has become massive for Chelsea. He was heavily involved in 2 goals against Barca, set up Drogba's goal vs Spurs and Liverpool.
Agree with you lampard has been fantastic for chelsea over the years and since playing regulary under RDM this seas. Just think gerrard gives the team that extra lift if needed but tbh i would not take either think we have more than enough options without them to, not saying lampard is **** all together!

Well Ferguson seems to think he can't so maybe that is the reasoning behind it, but like I said as the country is at the moment im sure the race issue will be bought up again. Something Ian McGarry tweeted earlier and you cannot disagree with it either.

I have sympathy for Rio but this looks like a purely football decision. Terry fitter, a leader, scores goals and #England record excellent.

Scores goals... irrelevant as he is a defender

Leader, got a few in the side

So he is marginally fitter.

None of that actually talks about his defensive ability. Jags and Lescott have already proved to be englands best partnership in the few games they have played together, capable of playing any line you need. Lescott was monstrous vs Spain, the best ive seen him play in any shirt. Still no real need to take a divisive figure in Terry.

On a purely footballing decision you dont take Terry.

Last edited:
I still don't fancy England's chances this summer. The group is to well balanced, and the three teams in our group, England don't traditionally do well against any of them/

This. We should start Jagielka/Lescott, with Cahill as back-up.

Back