England Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 377K
I know United are not short of money, they have a very good team in all areas, i just think the central area is the weakest

You made it sound like we've been forced to make do with him, which just isn't true.

Good first 10 and last 5 mins, truly awful in between. Things obviously needed changing far sooner.

Im comparing him to United's midfield... Nothing to do with Gerrard
Ok then, But I would say he is in better form than Anderson & Kagawa. Scholes & Giggs coming to end of their careers. Fletcher is out with illness. Powell still young and learning his trade. Carrick is only one playing better than Cleverley in centre midfield this season. Me personally I think for England future centre midfield will be Wiltshire & Cleverley.

Bitterly disappointed with that.

Roy just looked like had had no idea what to do. And what does Oxlade Chamberlain have to do to get regular games for club and country? The boy looks like an absolute gem and he needs to be playing regularly

You wouldn't think Carrick was playing today.

Rabbit in the headlights.
To be fair to Michael Carrick he wasn't allowed ball because Steven Gerrard wanted to be Roy of the Rovers again trying to play long killer balls and shooting from long range in my opinion.

You wouldn't think Carrick was playing today.

Rabbit in the headlights.

And the scary thing is Carrick was probably the better performer of the midfielders. Gerrard and Cleverley were woeful tonight. Cleverley went about doing not much and Gerrard over done things.

Midfield did disappoint tonight, probably Gerrard's worst performances in a fair few months.. seemed to be almost trying too hard

Midfield did disappoint tonight, probably Gerrard's worst performances in a fair few months.. seemed to be almost trying too hard
Maybe Steven Gerrard is not as good as us English supporters and those Liverpool supporters think he is. He has struggled to play Brendan Rodgers style of play (short passing possession football) this season, and trying to dictate midfield with his long ball passes (long killer balls) when Brendan has been trying to play Spain/Barcelona (Spanish tiki-taka) style football. Or he is trying shoot from long range. Don't get me wrong I do like Steven Gerrard but he just learn trade when he younger to play direct football (English style) when it worked, But these days teams are usually better tactically. He is not only English player like that. But I do wish that he that didn't believe that he was Roy Race (Roy of the Rovers) all the time and just keep simple as a team player, as a captain & a team player should do sometimes. There is ten other players on the field most of time to help him. PS He is great captain specially for Liverpool.

Maybe Steven Gerrard is not as good as us English supporters and those Liverpool supporters think he is. He has struggled to play Brendan Rodgers style of play (short passing possession football) this season, and trying to dictate midfield with his long ball passes (long killer balls) when Brendan has been trying to play Spain/Barcelona (Spanish tiki-taka) style football. Or he is trying shoot from long range. Don't get me wrong I do like Steven Gerrard but he just learn trade when he younger to play direct football (English style) when it worked, But these days teams are usually better tactically. He is not only English player like that. But I do wish that he that didn't believe that he was Roy Race (Roy of the Rovers) all the time and just keep simple as a team player, as a captain & a team player should do sometimes. There is ten other players on the field most of time to help him. PS He is great captain specially for Liverpool.

well considering he tops the assists charts and is in the top 3 of chances created i'd say he has adjusted well

he had a poor start to the season by his standards, but dont be fooled by one game, he has been fantastic past 3 months for LFC

As long as Hodgson is there then England will never make any progress, he's too negative.
Playing Milner for example, there's a lot of players who shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

He's in the latter stages of his career, he's played well for Liverpool this season, his assists tally is impressive and he has 8 league goals from a fairly defensive position, in his prime there wasn't many better than him. He's 32 and still Captain of Club and Country

I really don't understand playing Cleverley behind striker. Why are you Brits trying to make playmaker out of Gerrard constantly? It didn't work 10 years ago, it doesn't work now. Gerrard was world class attacking mid, he's very useful nowdays for sure, but only if you play him right. Lampard and Gerrard were never playmakers and they will never be. Leave that role to somebody else.

well considering he tops the assists charts and is in the top 3 of chances created i'd say he has adjusted well

he had a poor start to the season by his standards, but dont be fooled by one game, he has been fantastic past 3 months for LFC
Brendan Rodgers has change his style slightly to fit in with Steven Gerrard direct style of play that's why he brought Daniel Sturridge with pace and dropped Luis Suarez deeper to play in the hole. So I wouldn't say that Steven has adjusted to Brendan Spanish/Barcelona tiki-taka style of play, but Brendan had to change his style because he couldn't drop Steven out of the team, There would been a uproar by Liverpool supporters would it. Don't forget Michael Owen & Fernando Torres had pace to burn, to run behind oppositions defence and now you have Daniel Sturridge. I don't know the current stats in the Premier League at the moment, but I thought Michael Carrick passes stats was best in Premier League this season. Plus how many long shots does he takes that actually hit the target (shots to goals ratio).

I really don't understand playing Cleverley behind striker. Why are you Brits trying to make playmaker out of Gerrard constantly? It didn't work 10 years ago, it doesn't work now. Gerrard was world class attacking mid, he's very useful nowdays for sure, but only if you play him right. Lampard and Gerrard were never playmakers and they will never be. Leave that role to somebody else.

Rodgers wanted to preserve Gerrard for longer, Hodgson is taking a similar stance, by playing him deeper it allows his career to be extended or so thats the thinking.

Again people saying it is not working, top of the assist chart, 8 league goals.... nobody was questioning him for the past month or so, and one game and people suddenly start talking again

People have bad days, today was Gerrard's turn, although there were not many good performances from England as a whole

As long as Hodgson is there then England will never make any progress, he's too negative.
Playing Milner for example, there's a lot of players who shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

It's taken a worrying amount of time for people to realise this.

to be fair, there weren't many options since the FA wanted someone English.

Brendan Rodgers has change his style slightly to fit in with Steven Gerrard direct style of play that's why he brought Daniel Sturridge with pace and dropped Luis Suarez deeper to play in the hole. So I wouldn't say that Steven has adjusted to Brendan Spanish/Barcelona tiki-taka style of play, but Brendan had to change his style because he couldn't drop Steven out of the team, There would been a uproar by Liverpool supporters would it. Don't forget Michael Owen & Fernando Torres had pace to burn, to run behind oppositions defence and now you have Daniel Sturridge. I don't know the current stats in the Premier League at the moment, but I thought Michael Carrick passes stats was best in Premier League this season. Plus how many long shots does he takes that actually hit the target (shots to goals ratio).

we tried to sign Sturridge before the season started so its not like he was brought in January for Gerrard's sake

Carrick has 4 assists, Gerrard has 9... Carrick stats are more 'sensible' in terms of pass completion and ball retention

Back