England v Wales, Wembley, Tuesday 6 September 7.45pm

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike.
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 157
  • Views Views 9K
Well played Wales, By the way is their any thread for the Ireland vs Russia game earlier on, sorry to spam just want to see what people thought of it.

Well, whoever it is, FA not guaranteeing he's going to be English

Next England manager will not definitely be English, says FA chairman | Football | guardian.co.uk

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

We definately lost the ability to hold on to the ball in the last half hour. Clearly some work needed there. It was frustrating.

Get Carlo Ancellotti. I would love an English manager, but not just for the sake of it. Not Harry ******* Redknapp, that's for **** sure

Pfft, and club teams dont?! meh

Well smaller countries set up way too defensively against England, see Algeria WC and Montenegro at home in the qualifiers. I can understand why because our players are superior but still, its so lame when we fail to break them down. I still think it's more defensive at international level because if a team loses, they've let down a whole nation and the media crucifies the team and especially the manager. Managers especially are scared of defeat. Can't fault Capello's win percentage at qualification stages though, he grinds out the results. I just find qualification a bit boring and then the tournament performance itself disappointing.

Getting tired of watching england now, actually can't wait 'til after euro 2012 when Capello goes and we get someone new in. Why with the players we have is our build up play so **** slow?

We've been saying the same thing about getting a new manager for the past 10 years.

Well played Wales, By the way is their any thread for the Ireland vs Russia game earlier on, sorry to spam just want to see what people thought of it.

I watched it. Dunne was a tank, so was Given. Russia should have won, but those two were imperious

Get Carlo Ancellotti. I would love an English manager, but not just for the sake of it. Not Harry ******* Redknapp, that's for **** sure

Carlo would definately make me a happy chappie. At some point in the future maybe Pearce too. Or dare I say it....Sir David Moyes

I watched it. Dunne was a tank, so was Given. Russia should have won, but those two were imperious

I watched too. Wonderful night all round for Villa players, what with them and Bannan destroying Lithuania single-handedly. It's good to see Dunne back.

Poor performance after half time, this is why england arent a major contender for any competition.. shame really

Having said that im glad we won

Well smaller countries set up way too defensively against England, see Algeria WC and Montenegro at home in the qualifiers. I can understand why because our players are superior but still, its so lame when we fail to break them down. I still think it's more defensive at international level because if a team loses, they've let down a whole nation and the media crucifies the team and especially the manager. Managers especially are scared of defeat. Can't fault Capello's win percentage at qualification stages though, he grinds out the results. I just find qualification a bit boring and then the tournament performance itself disappointing.

Ok on that i do partly agree. Lots of managers have become afraid of losing, we did see a good amount of that in the WC2010.

We've been saying the same thing about getting a new manager for the past 10 years.

Would you have picked Capello, Eriksson or McClaren if it was your decision? I just think with the players we have we should be playing better than what we are that's all. Whether that's down to Capello or the players I don't know. On a positive note Wales are looking a lot better than their Fifa ranking suggests.

Would you have picked Capello, Eriksson or McClaren if it was your decision? I just think with the players we have we should be playing better than what we are that's all. Whether that's down to Capello or the players I don't know. On a positive note Wales are looking a lot better than their Fifa ranking suggests.

There's one constant over those 3 managers, which would be the team. We've said for the last few tournaments that we should be playing better than we are. I'd say the media is one of the biggest stumbling blocks to our national performance, whether we should accept the media as it is and the players should be able to deal with it is for debate.

I liked Eriksson, thought he was a very good England manager, gave people a chance and we did about as good as we should in every tournament, England fans expect too much

I liked Eriksson, thought he was a very good England manager, gave people a chance and we did about as good as we should in every tournament, England fans expect too much

Is it really too much to expect better performances at home to sides all weaker than us?

Agreed. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but looking back Eriksson did really well getting us so far into World Cup finals.

Is it really too much to expect better performances at home to sides all weaker than us?

Should Chelsea not be expected to beat Sunderland at home? Should Arsenal not be expected to beat WBA at the Emirates. These performances happen, admittedly it has been 5 games now since England have turned in a good performance at Wembley - which isn't good enough. The important thing is that there's 3 points on the board, and we're all but into Euro 2012.

No, but its not always the managers fault. Nor should we ignore what "weaker" teams are capable of.

Arrogance of the media and, certain sections of fans. A little more luck and it would have been 3 semi finals instead (especially against Portugal, and Campbell's disallowed goal)

Im about the mugs that say stuff like "Its England's year, football is coming home". Because of this the pressure on the players is just immense, its the media's fault, i agree we should play better but i cringe a little when people say England have a realistic chance of the world cup. Even when we played well under Sven we only managed the quarter finals (despite the bad luck). England fans booed the players at the world cup because they expect too much, i agree we played awfully but that was down to the immense pressure.

It doesn't help we trap the players in a lose-lose situation either. If they play expansive, pretty football and concede a late equaliser, they get slaughtered. If they play safe and hang onto the result, they get slaughtered. How are they supposed to please those that can't be pleased. If this result happened for someone's club they'd be delighted, to "grind out a result when you're not playing well", "form of champions", and all those lovely phrases that pundits love to churn out at the weekend - but then the national team does the same against an underrated Wales side and it's not good enough, they should be putting 4 past them with 65% possession. But such is the grand hypocrisy of the media.

Feel confident for future tbh

Last edited:
Back