England vs Holland: February 29th, Wembley Stadium

ashley young is playing bluerrgggg cahill blurgggggg baines yipeeee

England Team to face Holland. Hart Richards Smalling Cahill Baines Parker Barry A Johnson Young Gerrard Wellbeck #talksport

Well I guess most of the team will only be playing for 45 mins and he will test others out in second half, I would of liked to see Phil Jones and Smalling though personally, not Cahill. Also Sturridge instead of Young.

Hart Richards Smalling Cahill Baines Parker Barry A Johnson Young Gerrard Wellbeck

Tbh, that team could barely fight it's way out of a paper bag let alone win a major tournament. Can't help but feel England's best years are behind us.. :/

Hart Richards Smalling Cahill Baines Parker Barry A Johnson Young Gerrard Wellbeck

Tbh, that team could barely fight it's way out of a paper bag let alone win a major tournament. Can't help but feel England's best years are behind us.. :/

I disagree, it is not the line up I would of chosen completely but you have to give these guys a chance, I am sure Welbeck can cause that Holland defence a load of problems with Gerrard supporting and pace on the flanks. Also got to remember this is not nothing like the line up will be in the Euro's apart from a few maybe.

Not quite true, we are missing a lot of players. Not a terrible team by any means. What matters is how we execute.

My worry is the pivot, Carrick is the exact player we needed there

Barry is decent at international level.

I think the team is decent. The lack of 'big names' is quite refreshing. Would keep a similar team when all players are fit, bar Cahill dropped for Jagielka, Barry dropped for Wilshere and Welbeck dropped for Rooney.

I would probably drop Young for Walcott also, many people don't like Walcott, but with his pace he can be extremely decent against international teams, where many have at least one slow(ish) defender, who he could target.

I think the team is decent. The lack of 'big names' is quite refreshing. Would keep a similar team when all players are fit, bar Cahill dropped for Jagielka, Barry dropped for Wilshere and Welbeck dropped for Rooney.

I would probably drop Young for Walcott also, many people don't like Walcott, but with his pace he can be extremely decent against international teams, where many have at least one slow(ish) defender, who he could target.

The Dutch can lack a bit of pace at full back, so this could actually be a game for Walcott. Young needs a big game here.

Barry is decent (ans he has been in good form all season), but neither his or Parker's passing is as expansive as Carrick's, the latter provides a better link between mid and attack. Wilshere would be number one choice for sure, but still not sure he will be fit in time.

Definitely agreed on Jags.

Good to see Richards back, hoping he demonstrates why we've all been calling for his return.

I agree Dunc but I would love to see Sturridge given a try instead of Young/Walcott! The lad has pace and skill, he should defo be given a chance. Also why not Phil Jones may I ask?? He seems a top prospect for Centre Back in my opinion.

I agree Dunc but I would love to see Sturridge given a try instead of Young/Walcott! The lad has pace and skill, he should defo be given a chance. Also why not Phil Jones may I ask?? He seems a top prospect for Centre Back in my opinion.

I am surprised Sturridge isn't starting tonight's game ahead of Young, but I suppose we would have had an extremely inexperienced forward line for tonight's game, and as Pearce's first game in charge, he's not really in the position to take too big a risk considering he may well be hoping to be offered the job full time (now or following the euros.) and with a win, he would do his cause no harm.

Phil Jones is decent, I do like watching him play and he seems pretty assured. I think it would be more a selection of Jags + Smalling/Jones for me, as a long term solution to the current (suppose past) Terry/Ferdinand dominance in the centre of defence. I think a back line of Richards - Jagielka - Smalling/Jones - Baines, with Hart behind them, would be a decent defence at an international level. Although saying that, Lescott was immense in his last England game, so I suppose if Pearce wants someone slightly more internationally experienced to play at the Euros, I would play Jagielka and Lescott in the middle.

Not quite true, we are missing a lot of players. Not a terrible team by any means. What matters is how we execute.

My worry is the pivot, Carrick is the exact player we needed there

Maybe I was being overly pessimistic but it seems we now have an international side made up of squad players. I know they're "young" but none of them are very exciting.

The major plus for future of England is Joe Hart. But players like Rooney blow hot and cold. A lot of the players in the squad just don't have much quality at all.. Maybe as they get older they will improve but very few of them would have got into any previous England team.

Also, calling up Campbell after he scores one good goal in 3 years. What the fudge is going on.

This tournament is almost definitely the last one for the "golden generation" players, I just worry about what sort of level of football [internationally] we will see after they all go.. Especially when you consider the level we see at the moment is pretty poor.

Maybe I was being overly pessimistic but it seems we now have an international side made up of squad players. I know they're "young" but none of them are very exciting.

The major plus for future of England is Joe Hart. But players like Rooney blow hot and cold. A lot of the players in the squad just don't have much quality at all.. Maybe as they get older they will improve but very few of them would have got into any previous England team.

Also, calling up Campbell after he scores one good goal in 3 years. What the fudge is going on.

This tournament is almost definitely the last one for the "golden generation" players, I just worry about what sort of level of football [internationally] we will see after they all go.. Especially when you consider the level we see at the moment is pretty poor.

They do have quality. They need playing time in games like this to get there. Exciting doesnt necessary equal good. If someone like Smalling doesnt have the quality to be a ball playing centre half like Rio, then there are very few who will. How do you get experienced good players without them not starting from somewhere? Not sure where the comparison to previous sides comes in though, at one point they were all rookies.

I dont worry about the players, i worry about our system, the players in and out the squad are good enough to be a threat, may not be world beaters, but to be a good international side, who can be a threat on their day. But first we need to have an idea of what we actually want to do with them

Last edited:

I think this is a different type of squad, but definitely there is potential quality players there. Like Mike said they need the experience and game time though to get there. Danny Welbeck is hugely under rated, but if you see the impact he has on the games it really is effective. Sturridge has shows glimpses of great things for Chelsea, Smalling seems to me like he has potential to be better than Ferdinand and I think he could take over Ferdinand's role even at this stage.

I think this new look has something different, more modern. The "golden generation" always seemed to lack pace in my opinion. Which is a key thing in any kind of football these days.

I disagree with you in some ways. Firstly, your missing out the hot prospects that are still developing, the likes of Connor Wickham, Nathan Delfunso, Fabien Delph, Jordan Rhodes and Jack Wilshere (once fit) whichcan become into top quality players. It seems England have always been playing the "golden generation" players instead of playing the younger players who can produce into top notch players. This is just the re-building stage making a "team" that can actually play together. In my opinion we should get rid of the Gerrard's the Lampards and all the other old players who could never play together, why not start the youths who if play with each other often enough can learn eachothers mind. You do not need the best individual players to win the biggest international tournaments you need at decent team who can play together. I mean since when have Gerrard and Lampard linked well together? The earlier we start playing these youths together in internationals, the better. It may mean a few heavy loses but in the long run it will be more fruitful in major tournament ten years on.

Stekelenburg, Boulahrouz, Heitinga, Mathijsen, Pieters, Van Bommel, De Jong, Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt, van Persie. Subs: Krul, Emanuelson, Vlaar, Strootman, Schaars, Huntelaar, Wijnaldum, de Jong, Bruma, John, Narsingh.

Still can't believe Stekelenburg and Sneijder weren't bought by ManU this past summer.

Still can't believe Stekelenburg and Sneijder weren't bought by ManU this past summer.

Sneidjer wanted 200k, and he isnt worth it. and I'd rather have De Gea

Ooh, robben left and kuyt right. Should get a lot of crosses to RVP.

90 minutes of torture. :(

Dont get injured RVP, our season depends on it lol