England vs Hungary Match Thread ITV 19:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
the squad looks alright but i would have liked to have seen rodwell and shawcross in the side aswell.

Would of been nicer if Frimpong actually wanted to play for England!.

I am upset to see tried and tested England flops in the squad (Wes Brown, Darren Bent, Carlton Cole), rather than people who need to be given a go (Huddlestone, Parker, Micah Richards, Agbonlahor).

And why 3 goalkeepers? I know it's always been like that, but I don't see the point. We need to look at more outfield players for England, because that was our main problem in South Africa. A waste of a squad place.

You got your wish now robinson has gone england wont call up a replacement ;)

Would liked to have seen Rodwell, Shawcross & Cattermole called up instead of the regulars like Terry, Lampard etc.

well hes starting the south africa XI so that none of the new players get booed

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

foster just pulled out, scott loach and frankie fielding being called up. not sure why foster pulled out yet

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

foster out with back injury

Last edited:
Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster has pulled out of the England squad to face Hungary with a back injury. With Blackburn's Paul Robinson turning down his call-up, manager Fabio Capello has turned to Watford keeper Scott Loach and Blackburn's Frankie Fielding.
Joe Hart is set to start the friendly on Wednesday in goal, with 22-year-olds Loach and Fielding on the bench.
David James and Robert Green were not called up despite being in England's World Cup squad in South Africa.
More to follow.

Fabio's certainly lost faith in his keepers if he's not calling up Green or James, doesn't give them much confidence, hopefully Hart can cement a #1 spot because we can't leave it in question forever.

After the Under-21s match, ESPN gave an 'expected' Capello selection for tomorrow's game --

Hart
Johnson Dawson Terry Cole
Milner Lampard Barry Gerrard
Rooney Zamora​

If this is the line-up I will be bitterly disappointed with our Italian -- this basically is the team that flopped at the WC, bar Hart in goal (which was always going to happen anyway), Dawson (who will obviously make way for Rio), and Zamora (who could stay in the shirt with a good performance.)​

What's the point in picking youngsters and then starting with the same friggin team? You see, if this selection is true, then the youngsters will pretty much all come on quite close to each other (in time) and will only to get play in a weakened team; in a half disjointed by substitions.​

IMO, he should pick a strong spine and put the younger players in around them in the first half and see how they get on -- the older guys can be brought on later in the game.​

Not being funny like, but what do ESPN have to base it on? I didn't realise they secretly had information from Capellos head that no one else has. He may want to look at youth, and it would be stupid playing that team, as it's only trying a few players.

I suggest the team tomorrow night will have a few more youngens in it, if it hasn't, I think I may not watch the game.

Not being funny like, but what do ESPN have to base it on? I didn't realise they secretly had information from Capellos head that no one else has. He may want to look at youth, and it would be stupid playing that team, as it's only trying a few players.

I suggest the team tomorrow night will have a few more youngens in it, if it hasn't, I think I may not watch the game.

They won't have secret information, but they'll be privy to more information than the everyday bloke. I hope he starts with a few fresh faces because (even if the youngsters flunk) it will show the WC drop outs that he's prepared to look at other options.

They won't have secret information, but they'll be privy to more information than the everyday bloke. I hope he starts with a few fresh faces because (even if the youngsters flunk) it will show the WC drop outs that he's prepared to look at other options.
hes not starting any of the new players, because of the very hostile reception england are going to recieve. hes making sure the ones that went to south africa are on the recieving end, and he doesnt want gibbs and wilshere being involved in that.
he has said he will definite play them and that he will make 6 subs {only the chelsea players will play 90 minutes}

Why just the Chelsea players, when they were just involved in the Community Shield?..

That doesn't make much sense.

hes not starting any of the new players, because of the very hostile reception england are going to recieve. hes making sure the ones that went to south africa are on the recieving end, and he doesnt want gibbs and wilshere being involved in that.
he has said he will definite play them and that he will make 6 subs {only the chelsea players will play 90 minutes}

Ah right, it's a bit unfair on Hart, Dawson and Zamora then, who had nothing to do with the on-feild shambles in South Africa. James, Upson, Defoe or Crouch (unless any of them are injured) could have taken their places for the first half then - if that's what it's all about.

Ah right, it's a bit unfair on Hart, Dawson and Zamora then, who had nothing to do with the on-feild shambles in South Africa. James, Upson, Defoe or Crouch (unless any of them are injured) could have taken their places for the first half then - if that's what it's all about.
yeah its a bit harsh on hart. but then he didnt call up either of the other two keepers. infact none those players are in the squad

yeah its a bit harsh on hart. but then he didnt call up either of the other two keepers. infact none those players are in the squad

Yeah, he's dropped them -- which is fair enough, or not, depending on individual view points (personally, Defoe, if fit, didn't warrant being dropped as much as some who are still in.) But if the first half is about 'making a show' he could have called up those players and put a WC 11 out for 45 minutes?

Dawson and Zamora are going to make their international debuts in that team - how is that fair? I hope they do well.

Yeah, he's dropped them -- which is fair enough, or not, depending on individual view points (personally, Defoe, if fit, didn't warrant being dropped as much as some who are still in.) But if the first half is about 'making a show' he could have called up those players and put a WC 11 out for 45 minutes?

Dawson and Zamora are going to make their international debuts in that team - how is that fair? I hope they do well.
i agree. i think its less that he wants a show, more that he expects one. its one thing for dawson/ zamora, they have been about the block, even dawson despite his young age. its another thing to throw the very young duo into the lions den. i hope those who are there will hold back the the boos when zamora and dawson are on the ball.

Last edited:
i agree. i think its less that he wants a show, more that he expects one. its one thing for dawson/ zamora, they have been about the block, even dawson despite his young age. its another thing to throw the very young duo into the lions den. i hope who are there will hold back the the boos when zamora and dawson are on the ball.

yer thats what i was about to say, personly i wouldnt ever boo but i understand it to a level. but when the new boys get on the ball if they get booed then i will be ****** off.

I am sure the new guys won't get much, if any abuse, I think it will mainly be aimed at the likes of Rooney/Gerrard/Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.