Everton pushing top 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionelPienaar

Banned
Reaction score
What does everyone think the chances are of Everton pushing on this season and getting in the top 4 where I believe we belong.
Personally I take optimism from our second half of last season, where if we had consistently played like that all season without a doubt we had have beat Tottenham to fourth spot.

My worry now is that with Tottenham in the Champions League, and their seemingly endless amount of money, the players they are going to attract along with Man City's insane financial prowess, how on earth are we going to challenge?

I think with a full team, void of injuries and what not and with a class striker, hopefully Donovan back (as long as c*nting city stay away) and a replacement for Pienaar such as Alexis Sanchez or someone in that calibre, we are a top 4 team but then again that is hardly a given.

dont think yous can compete with them teams here is the list of teams better than everton

Man U
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man City
Totenham
Liverpool
Aston Villa

So what you really should be aiming for is a Europa League place sorry

i doubt they can with the likes tottenham and man city around

alexis sanchez is quite good, but he's no ronaldo

Everton need some serious cash to spend or they are going to fall behind. Moyes is wasted there tbh, if he was at a club like Man City he would be winning things. Everton are always going to expect him to perform miracles, its not fair on him.

Everton are close to top six in terms of first 11, but miles away from top four (imo) in terms of squad depth.

I really doubt it looking at last season. If they replicate the form that they had in the 1st half of the season ten top10 is what would be their target. With little money to spend I dont see how they can compete with free spending city and Spurs, on top of That Villa have a good squad and then they have to knock Liverpool down to Europa league - or Arsenal. So all in all I don't think It's likely. Maybe a Europa league place would be achievable at best this season.

Completely disagree with pretty much all of you, possibly blind optimism, we went through a stage this season with a large percentage of players missing going 24 matches unbeaten, including beating Man City(twice), Chelsea and United. I personally think it is a misconception that managers need and want money to perform well, Moyes is a good bargain hunter so in reply to your comment JP Woody, I believe he takes more pride in signing Arteta, Pienaar, Lescott etc for minimal prices, and to build a club full of team players with no overpaid wankers or stars still has a place in this game, therefore I am backing us with a couple of signings to really challenge.

Villa are no way better than us whoever said that.

Can Everton compete?

Aston Villa - Definitely beatable. Should be there with them I would have thought.

Liverpool - Depends what Liverpool shows up. It also depends on what happens to them over the next few with managers, players, ownership etc. Really to early to tell.

Man City - Difficult to say really as they have so much money to spend you don't really know whos going to be playing for them next season. Also the likes of Robinho returning to thlem after such a great world cup will definitely be a boost. They are starting to look more like EPL contenders I think. Probably a little too strong to beat.

Totenham - Maybe beatable but probably not. As you say the champions league money will be a big boost for them. Tottenham need to carry their form into next season as well to be able to stay at the top otherwise they might find themselves sliding back down the league. For that reason I say they maybe beatable.

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal - No chance in **** tbh

It looks to me a very difficult challenge for them to break the top 4, but then again this is football and anything can happen :)

I think Villa are pretty much in the same boat as you in terms of squad. Both have very good first 11s, but neither have enough to back it up at the moment (injuries / suspensions.)

So who do we need to sign then realistically? I am pretty sure Donovan is coming back as long as Galaxy agree a reasonable price, but what else, maybe an out and out goalscorer.

So who do we need to sign then realistically? I am pretty sure Donovan is coming back as long as Galaxy agree a reasonable price, but what else, maybe an out and out goalscorer.
a lot of luck. anywhere higher than 7th season will be very good

You should be aiming for a Europa League place realistically.

I'd honestly love to see it. I think David Moyes is one of the best and underrated managers in world football - I reckon it will come down to him and O'Neil for Man Utd when Ferguson retires. Unfortunately, in the premier league these days you need to spend mega bucks to be in the top four. You now have Man City added to the mix so the fight for top four is even tighter. I can't see them putting out Man Utd Chelsea or Arsenal. So that means they'd need to put out Man City with some of the biggest names in world football with the squad now starting to gel (they will challenge this year), Liverpool who probably will keep Torres and Gerrard and with a new manager and a few good signings could be right back into things, Tottenham with a genius in Redknapp and a constantly improving squad (not just starting 11, but squad), and Villa who are pretty much in exactly the same position as yourselves. More and more money is getting pumped into the English league with the likes of Birmingham having more money than ever. I think unless the owners stump up some cash, then Europa is all teams like Villa and Everton can hope for. I hope im wrong.

Personally, I don't think Everton can get top four atm. If they do, Moyes should be knighted.

Beckford and Mucha are good signings -- IF Moyes can get them to reproduce their form in the Premier Division. But you have to compare those signings with the clubs above you -- Man City about to sign Yaya Toure and David Silva for instance.

Everton has a gelled team and they can break in top 4, if Man City and Tottenham will drop points.

Man City will have gelled somewhat though too. The majority of the first team this season will have played together a full season now. Unless of course Man City go nuts and bring in a whole new squad. I wouldn't put it past them

i would prefer everton to finish in the top 4 then spurs, city, liverpool etc but i cant see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.