Ferguson four-letter blast at FA

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 113
  • Views Views 5K
no actual rule for what rooney did (which was in frustration in fairness) my issue is less the punishment and more the consistency. There is an actual rule against swearing at the ref, which carries a match ban

Like i said its the ref in questions fault if he fails to punish a player for a yellow card offence. What Rooney did was morally wrong.

Yeah well, if I had thousands of oppossing fans slagging me off, my family and calling me all the names under the sun, and scored a hat trick, I'd have trouble staying composed. Reason why? I'm human. Would've been pumped up beyond belief and full of adrenalin

True and i admit if i was in his position i would do the same maybe even more and drop the c-bomb, but its wrong what he did simple as that.

I agree yes yes there are inconsistencies and so on and on... but this is the power wielding body, the Law in essance and what they go goes, it is not the place of a manager to question such calls if anyone ( not that there should be one ) it should be a club official the reason being is the club would have been able to sit down and think about comments made if not we get a situation like this whereby in the heat of moment rash comments arent made ( heat being refered to as the media antagonising )

Whether or note he is correct or even justified in his comments is irrevelant because there are ways and means to deliver your comment of discontent to the FA the pressroom is most certainly not the place

SAF should be punished you simply cannot question the authorities...

not relevant but his language also is disrespectful ( and yea media sensationalised the article... thats what they all do, a wise man wouldnt give them any more ammo to do so)

It dont matter why, the fact is he purposely swore in a camera where there would be millions watching, not setting a good example... thats why he got punished and rightly so

Personally I think he was just caught in the moment and was just letting rip-was unfortunate the camera was where it was, when it shouldn't have been in the first place. I'm not a Utd fan, but to me, like previously mentioned, the club are always used to make an example of. Just seems the only consistency is not being consistent. That's what I think anyway. Would have the same opinion if this situation arose for any other club too, be it Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City or whatever.

Last edited:
Like i said its the ref in questions fault if he fails to punish a player for a yellow card offence. What Rooney did was morally wrong.

True and i admit if i was in his position i would do the same maybe even more and drop the c-bomb, but its wrong what he did simple as that.

The guy who said **** isn't a swear word is going to go on the moral high horse about swearing? Puh-lease.

Personally I think he was just caught in the moment and was just letting rip-was unfortunate the camera was where it was, when it shouldn't have been in the first place. I'm not a Utd fan, but to me, like previously mentioned, the club are always used to make an example of. Just seems the only consistency is not being consistent. That's what I think anyway. Would have the same opinion if this situation arose for any other club too, be it Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City or whatever.

he was caught in the moment and alot do it, but the fact there was a camera there and he knew it was the reason the punishment came, and i believe there would have been a punishment for anyone weather it be George Elokobi in a wolves v Blackburn match ( just a example haha )

he was caught in the moment and alot do it, but the fact there was a camera there and he knew it was the reason the punishment came, and i believe there would have been a punishment for anyone weather it be George Elokobi in a wolves v Blackburn match ( just a example haha )

What Rooney did is exactly what they wanted, and then they punish him for it. If you don't want to see the raw emotion from a player in the heat of the moment, don't stick a **** camera in their face. Surely swearing to a camera is swearing. Why does it matter if Richards didn't do it 'intentionally'. Surely a fully fledged adult has the ability to control his vocabulary and the words that he speaks, therefore Richards did do it intentionally. **** hypocrisy. If you're going to argue there's nothing wrong with what the likes of Richards did, what's the moral justification for that? Surely there must be something inherently worse than the swearing itself if we're going to split the two offences?

Its not like saying that at all, Maylors tackle was poor hence why he got sent off. Richards didnt mean to swear but Rooney did.

I know the example of a very poor tackle is extreme and over the top, but an accidently mistimed tackle is still a foul, just like accidently swearing on tv is a punishable offence. The whole case of 'poor role model' and 'millions, including children watching' still applies to both Richards and Rooney instances.

The guy who said **** isn't a swear word is going to go on the moral high horse about swearing? Puh-lease.

Ever heard of a joke?? Not a great one granted but still.

Last edited:
What Rooney did is exactly what they wanted, and then they punish him for it. If you don't want to see the raw emotion from a player in the heat of the moment, don't stick a **** camera in their face. Surely swearing to a camera is swearing. Why does it matter if Richards didn't do it 'intentionally'. Surely a fully fledged adult has the ability to control his vocabulary and the words that he speaks, therefore Richards did do it intentionally. **** hypocrisy. If you're going to argue there's nothing wrong with what the likes of Richards did, what's the moral justification for that? Surely there must be something inherently worse than the swearing itself if we're going to split the two offences?

I personally think the two situations differ, when you see somebody blatently swearing in a camera through pure frustration and anger and doing it deliberatley action has to be taken
Although Richards did swear, it was not a deliberate ploy and it wasent in anyway said in a way rooneys was... a simple warning in future imo would have been okay for richards

Just a question because i agree with you... but what do you think about when drogba did it upon elimination of champions league? beacuse i agree with your logic but like any sport there are rules and if everything was governed by emotion it would turn into heaven forbid... rugby;) no but seriously if people did things on emotion football would be very different..

I personally think the two situations differ, when you see somebody blatently swearing in a camera through pure frustration and anger and doing it deliberatley action has to be taken
Although Richards did swear, it was not a deliberate ploy and it wasent in anyway said in a way rooneys was... a simple warning in future imo would have been okay for richards

What? So when Richards has an emotional response and swears, that's fine. When Rooney has an emotional response and swears, it's 2 match ban? Riiiight. Oh, and when Rooney swore he had tens of thousands of fans drowning it out to the point where it wasn't audible, with the addition of commentators talking over it. I didn't have a clue what he said till I heard it multiple times, and Sky replayed it over and over every 2 minutes. Whereas Richards was in a one on one interview situation, with no crowd, he knew he was getting interviewed thus had time to collate his thoughts, he knew what the obvious questions would be so could prepare the reply, yet he still swore. Rooney was in the immediate aftermath of scoring the winning goal, also a hattrick, after being abused by the home fans for the whole game. From that, I'd say Richards was far more intentional.

What? So when Richards has an emotional response and swears, that's fine. When Rooney has an emotional response and swears, it's 2 match ban? Riiiight. Oh, and when Rooney swore he had tens of thousands of fans drowning it out to the point where it wasn't audible, with the addition of commentators talking over it. I didn't have a clue what he said till I heard it multiple times, and Sky replayed it over and over every 2 minutes. Whereas Richards was in a one on one interview situation, with no crowd, he knew he was getting interviewed thus had time to collate his thoughts, he knew what the obvious questions would be so could prepare the reply, yet he still swore. Rooney was in the immediate aftermath of scoring the winning goal, also a hattrick, after being abused by the home fans for the whole game. From that, I'd say Richards was far more intentional.

its quite simple really, i disagree..

Richards swore in a post match interview where he was in full control of his actions. Funny how people find excuses for him and at the same time say Rooney deserved it who was more emotional at that time. Scored a hattrick to cap a amazing come back, emotions were high, it was easy to see he lost control there.

And people saying Rooney swore into camera, Richards was also looking at cam when he swore..

Last edited:
Just a question because i agree with you... but what do you think about when drogba did it upon elimination of champions league? beacuse i agree with your logic but like any sport there are rules and if everything was governed by emotion it would turn into heaven forbid... rugby;) no but seriously if people did things on emotion football would be very different..

People will always do things by emotion, they're the overriding influence on a people. If Rooney wasn't an emotional person and wasn't riled by the game, he may never have decided to thump the ball for THAT goal. Drogba was a UCL game, so it was post-watershed by the end of the match, plus he had every right to feel angry. Yes, you can argue that sportsmen should be role models, but you can't expect them to be flawless. Emotion will on occasion override, just like your Dad may be a role model, but it won't stop him swearing if he hits his thumb with a hammer doing DIY. It's silly to expect people to be perfect, especially when they never signed up to be a role model. It's the inherent nature of live TV to expect the unexpected, and while it shouldn't happen, it's an accepted fact that it will - and it's downright retarded to punish so extensively for it. I wonder if the FA who banned him could whole heartedly say they never said something they regretted in the heat of the moment.

People will always do things by emotion, they're the overriding influence on a people. If Rooney wasn't an emotional person and wasn't riled by the game, he may never have decided to thump the ball for THAT goal. Drogba was a UCL game, so it was post-watershed by the end of the match, plus he had every right to feel angry. Yes, you can argue that sportsmen should be role models, but you can't expect them to be flawless. Emotion will on occasion override, just like your Dad may be a role model, but it won't stop him swearing if he hits his thumb with a hammer doing DIY. It's silly to expect people to be perfect, especially when they never signed up to be a role model. It's the inherent nature of live TV to expect the unexpected, and while it shouldn't happen, it's an accepted fact that it will - and it's downright retarded to punish so extensively for it. I wonder if the FA who banned him could whole heartedly say they never said something they regretted in the heat of the moment.

Dont get me wrong I didn't say they must be role models, just merely suggesting that emotion must be capped slightly... not that that is the job of the player, they must try to control emotion but when they cannot the producers ect should have fall back measures... I also just mean in isolated incidents they can be tolerated but like Ronaldo is pre- judged as a diver Rooney bears the burden of hot head and as such should expect to be somewhat targeted... and being targeted happens always police prioritise the massive drug bust over the small time dealer.. so this is simply natural lets not blow things outta the water

Richards wore in a post match interview where he was in full control of his actions. Funny how people find excuses for him and at the same time say Rooney deserved it who was more emotional at that time. Scored a hattrick to cap a amazing come back, emotions were high, it was easy to see he lost control there.

And people saying Rooney swore into camera, Richards was also looking at cam when he swore..

What Richards done was bad too and he has done it twice but Rooney was in the headlines already and he snapped and swore down the camera on purpose. I genuinly dont think Richards dont it on purpose, maybe he needs lessons in media training or maybe he just needs to swear less but even still that dosent make what Rooney did any better and the punishment was deserved.

Dont get me wrong I didn't say they must be role models, just merely suggesting that emotion must be capped slightly... not that that is the job of the player, they must try to control emotion but when they cannot the producers ect should have fall back measures... I also just mean in isolated incidents they can be tolerated but like Ronaldo is pre- judged as a diver Rooney bears the burden of hot head and as such should expect to be somewhat targeted... and being targeted happens always police prioritise the massive drug bust over the small time dealer.. so this is simply natural lets not blow things outta the water

But the majority of the time they do control it, it's only usually in more extreme conditions its happened. But if you're going to punish Rooney for it, you have to be consistent with it every time it happens, or it's just ridiculous. Do the FA wonder why they have such a bed reputation and respect with the fans? By the FA's logic of it being 'intentional' (Which I don't buy anyway from my other post) should we stop sending people off for two footed challenges? I mean, they were going for the ball so they never intended to break someone's leg, so it's all fine and dandy!

What Richards done was bad too and he has done it twice but Rooney was in the headlines already and he snapped and swore down the camera on purpose. I genuinly dont think Richards dont it on purpose, maybe he needs lessons in media training or maybe he just needs to swear less but even still that dosent make what Rooney did any better and the punishment was deserved.

So Richards didn't swear on purpose and Rooney did it on purpose? Ok.

Punishment was deserved? Then where was the punishment for Richards, Gerrard and others. .

So it's okay for Richards to lose control of his actions despite him having a ton more time to prepare?

Sooooooo much double standards in these arguments.

Back