First person to live to 1000 has already been born

Not being funny or anything, but if I lived to be 1000 I think I'd be incredibly bored. Imagine collecting your pension for 930 years :/ That's a lot of time in the Post Office.

We'd work a lot longer than 70 years.

Why would we get bored? Surely if people say you'd get bored over a stupidly long period of time, we'd have people committing suicide over boredom in mass numbers right now? We all have our own routines, with the same repetitive activities that we do day by day, week by week. Why is repetition not boring over 80 years, but it is over 1000? Surely we all live because of life, not out of "fun"? People who live under dictatorships and seek asylum live awful lives, with no "fun" in them but yet they keep going. It's easy to say you'd get bored and want to die decades before you're faced with your own mortality, but when it comes down to it, how many people could physically do it? The world and life is always evolving, there's always something new around the corner, when faced with it you eliminate the possibility of experiencing that, because it would truly be over.

I firmly believe that when faced with the decision; very, very few people could actually truly end everything.

Ahem:
"Making two possibilities a reality
predicting the future of things we all know
fighting off the diseased programming
of centuries, centuries, centuries, centuries
Science fails to recognize the single most
potent element of human existence
letting the reigns go to the unfolding
is faith"
Imagine some one like Hitler or Bush living 1000 years. We humans are poison. We deserve to die.

Should we start a topic of;

If you lived for another thousand years who's graves would you dance on? (Option: and why)

Think I can guess the most popular but lets see...

Did you actually just equate Bush to Hitler? Okay, he was a complete imbecile, but Hitler?

Ahem:
"Making two possibilities a reality
predicting the future of things we all know
fighting off the diseased programming
of centuries, centuries, centuries, centuries
Science fails to recognize the single most
potent element of human existence
letting the reigns go to the unfolding
is faith"
Imagine some one like Hitler or Bush living 1000 years. We humans are poison. We deserve to die.

Is that passage... A religious philosophical view or is it Theism?

We don't all deserve to die...

Hitler died after committing suicide, so your point is rather moot. US presidents can only win two terms maximum, which Bush did, and then they have to retire, so whether he lives on for hundreds of years makes no difference.

Did you actually just equate Bush to Hitler? Okay, he was a complete imbecile, but Hitler?

No I didn't pal :). Hitler is worst. But Bush is an ******* too. That ***** started many wars, some were unnecessary. This is discussion for another time, another thread, don't we all agree.
@Jamie. We are all selfish beings, arrogant and sadists. Even priests, who "pray for our souls" are doing that for selfish reason, to go in paradise. I don't want to live 1000 years, 60-70 years of seeing evil things are enough. And its philosophical view ( not a religious). That faith is just another reason why are we so selfish.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Hitler died after committing suicide, so your point is rather moot. US presidents can only win two terms maximum, which Bush did, and then they have to retire, so whether he lives on for hundreds of years makes no difference.

Sorry, but that makes Hitler a good person. Bush too ?
DO NOT WANT to discuss Hitler/Bush thing anymore. Any quote based on them will be ignored.

Why are you satisfied by 70 years of evil and not 1000? If evil is so bad to you, why are you willing to be alive day after day?

If all humans are selfish, arrogant and sadists, then why is that evil? If they're human characteristics that define us all, why are they evil? Surely if humans are the only thing we know, then we can only benchmark against them, then surely those qualities are just what our society consists of? And you miss out all of the countless qualities that make humans good, surely the fact that we're willing to give and share so much, that we naturally feel empathy towards others balances being selfish? Not everyone is arrogant, it's not even evil, it's beneficial in certain situations. And sadism? Humans are certainly not naturally sadistic, maybe the minority. Morbid curiosity is very different to sadism.

Ah.

I would argue its based on our survival instinct that we have evolved from being an ape and the self preservation that brings with it than being 'selfish'. Why do people pray? To hold faith that there is someone else to blame for their lives or fill a hole in their lives to give them hope of some 'greater purpose'. Why do monks pray/give themselves wholly to God? To escape their lives that they left behind or some for of self preservative narcissism that makes them think God will look more fondly on them if they show their love/complete devotion 24 hours a day.

Don't think its selfish as such, think its what we all have in us that we evolved with from being animals, I agree though that everyone without exception holds the 'survival gene' in them somewhere, it just manifests itself in different ways.

Sorry, but that makes Hitler a good person. Bush too ?
DO NOT WANT to discuss Hitler/Bush thing anymore. Any quote based on them will be ignored.

Regardless of the second line (which is in itself pretty hilarious panicky backpedalling), what the actual **** are you on about? You're taking the twisting of someone's words to a new level. I didn't say ANYTHING about their relative evilness. I was saying that Hitler COULDN'T live for 1000 years, since he committed suicide. If he did live for 1000 years, he wouldn't be Hitler. Likewise, Bush can't exactly influence the world any longer, and he wouldn't be able to for the rest of his thousand year life.

Also, comparing Bush to Hitler is ridiculous. Bush isn't evil. Misguided, yes, but not evil. The word evil is thrown around way, way too much nowadays...

Why are you satisfied by 70 years of evil and not 1000? If evil is so bad to you, why are you willing to be alive day after day?

If all humans are selfish, arrogant and sadists, then why is that evil? If they're human characteristics that define us all, why are they evil? Surely if humans are the only thing we know, then we can only benchmark against them, then surely those qualities are just what our society consists of? And you miss out all of the countless qualities that make humans good, surely the fact that we're willing to give and share so much, that we naturally feel empathy towards others balances being selfish? Not everyone is arrogant, it's not even evil, it's beneficial in certain situations. And sadism? Humans are certainly not naturally sadistic, maybe the minority. Morbid curiosity is very different to sadism.

There's difference between my "evil" and Hitlers. I don't kill people, he did. I don't like seeing deaths, wars and similar, and I would never start a one ( war). So that lead me to choices. Choices make us what we are. Are you going to ignore the fact you are selfish or embrace it ? That's your choice. And why am I willing to be alive day by day, well, I love my life too much. We, just like animals ( no we are not animals, don't get me wrong :) ), like to torture our "victims". You do it every day when you joke with your friend ( doing something wrong, Idk like turning off hot water when he shower, this is just example, sorry if it's bad one). And that friendship is just another prove of our selfishness. You need your friend to keep you happy, to help you when needed ( Ok, you'll help him too, but you expect something in return, don't denial it).
Sorry GC, send me a VM if you want.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Ah.

I would argue its based on our survival instinct that we have evolved from being an ape and the self preservation that brings with it than being 'selfish'. Why do people pray? To hold faith that there is someone else to blame for their lives or fill a hole in their lives to give them hope of some 'greater purpose'. Why do monks pray/give themselves wholly to God? To escape their lives that they left behind or some for of self preservative narcissism that makes them think God will look more fondly on them if they show their love/complete devotion 24 hours a day.

Don't think its selfish as such, think its what we all have in us that we evolved with from being animals, I agree though that everyone without exception holds the 'survival gene' in them somewhere, it just manifests itself in different ways.

Yep, that's selfishness. You explained it perfectly :)

There's difference between my "evil" and Hitlers. I don't kill people, he did. I don't like seeing deaths, wars and similar, and I would never start a one ( war). So that lead me to choices. Choices make us what we are. Are you going to ignore the fact you are selfish or embrace it ? That's your choice. And why am I willing to be alive day by day, well, I love my life too much. We, just like animals ( no we are not animals, don't get me wrong :) ), like to torture our "victims". You do it every day when you joke with your friend ( doing something wrong, Idk like turning off hot water when he shower, this is just example, sorry if it's bad one). And that friendship is just another prove of our selfishness. You need your friend to keep you happy, to help you when needed ( Ok, you'll help him too, but you expect something in return, don't denial it).
Sorry GC, send me a VM if you want.

Life you can literally do once. If you love it, why do you not want to extend it for as long as possible? Why do you put a date on when you're tired of it? Hence why I believe very few would really want to die because of "boredom".

What's wrong with joking with a friend? Why would you grow sick of seeing that in the world? You make no sense. So I'm selfish for doing a favour for a friend, and expecting something back? That's not selfish, he would be selfish if he just didn't return anything by definition of the word. You're just being ridiculously picky over trivial philosophy. There's no such thing as a selfless act, and yet you manage to equate a natural fact of the world to something being evil and wrong with society? Please.

Life you can literally do once. If you love it, why do you not want to extend it for as long as possible? Why do you put a date on when you're tired of it? Hence why I believe very few would really want to die because of "boredom".

What's wrong with joking with a friend? Why would you grow sick of seeing that in the world? You make no sense. So I'm selfish for doing a favour for a friend, and expecting something back? That's not selfish, he would be selfish if he just didn't return anything by definition of the word. You're just being ridiculously picky over trivial philosophy. There's no such thing as a selfless act, and yet you manage to equate a natural fact of the world to something being evil and wrong with society? Please.

Well, if we all want to extend our lives, what quality of life would be ? Imagine your self living with other 100 billion humans. I want to preserve quality of this life. Living with 100 billion humans would require lot of sacrifice. Just think about fresh air, clean water, energy, plants, food... it wouldn't be enough for all of us. War would happen and only the strong ones ( or with most powerful toys) would survive. What happens when human being are playing god ? Neron, Napoleon, Hitler they all liked to play god.
I don't thin I can stand for another war, or death in my family. Yes, this is selfishness too, we are afraid to stay alone.
Your friend returns favour just so he can ask for another one. You need your friend, he need you. Mutual needing = selfishness.
Bold part
You are arguing with me just to show your self that you are right and I'm wrong. Now you'll say, I know I'm right. But if you know that, you wouldn't have need to argue would you ?
G2g now, see you later. I'm looking forward to your reply pal :). It's nice to have this kind of argument.

Its not selfish as such that's what I'm saying, no one can help it (cliche), we carried/evolved the survival instinct gene we had when we were apes and developed a state of self preservation that every single person on the planet has inside of them.

''Selfish'' isn't really what it is in my opinion.

Well, if we all want to extend our lives, what quality of life would be ? Imagine your self living with other 100 billion humans. I want to preserve quality of this life. Living with 100 billion humans would require lot of sacrifice. Just think about fresh air, clean water, energy, plants, food... it wouldn't be enough for all of us. War would happen and only the strong ones ( or with most powerful toys) would survive. What happens when human being are playing god ? Neron, Napoleon, Hitler they all liked to play god.
I don't thin I can stand for another war, or death in my family. Yes, this is selfishness too, we are afraid to stay alone.
Your friend returns favour just so he can ask for another one. You need your friend, he need you. Mutual needing = selfishness.
Bold part
You are arguing with me just to show your self that you are right and I'm wrong. Now you'll say, I know I'm right. But if you know that, you wouldn't have need to argue would you ?
G2g now, see you later. I'm looking forward to your reply pal :). It's nice to have this kind of argument.

And believing you don't need anyone else to help you is arrogant. So, according to you whichever way we choose to live we're going to be "evil". What a charming outlook.

Playing God: Hitler had his ideologies, Britain, a majority of the rest of Europe, US all opposed it. Those views are rare and become exponentially less likely to occur as history goes on and we learn from it.

I already answered on population concerns and such on the first page:
Those problems are assuming only medicine advances this far. We can already artificially create food, it won't be too long before we can theoretically feed the population solely through mass producing artificial GM foods. It's why everyone who argues against GM crops is an idiot, although the irony that they all believe in protecting the Earth, yet support seeing it being destroyed by forcing it to produce too much for us. Water - there are theories on how we can create that as well, and we know of places in our own solar system that are thought to have water on them, which given an advancement in spacecraft could be extracted for ourselves.

The real problem is how to fit everyone onto the planet. But unification of quantum and relativistic mechanics would produce startling advancements for society which are almost unimaginable, and as space exploration advancements, if inter-galactic exploration is achieved then searching for other planets with usable resources would become much easier.

Energy problems? You underestimate science. Nuclear fusion could provide energy for the whole planet easily, and it uses hydrogen which is so naturally abundant we'd have a practically infinite amount of energy.

You can't just imagine that we'd live for a thousand years with the current quality of life. Look at the lives people had 100, 50 **** even 10 years ago. Technology is rapidly advancing, our scientific knowledge is increasing at an unbelievable rate. Human potential is bound solely by the laws of physics, the only limits before that are self imposed by people who are scared of change.

And on fresh air, the most likely future fuel sources will be renewable, nuclear and other uses of hydrogen, which would all cause zero pollution.

People argue because they find it intellectually stimulating to argue against another's view point. Also, we naturally dislike being proven wrong so defend our opinions.

It's why everyone who argues against GM crops is an idiot, although the irony that they all believe in protecting the Earth, yet support seeing it being destroyed by forcing it to produce too much for us.

GM Crops & Nuclear Power combined with Hippies has been helping people define irony for decades, so at least some good comes from their stupidity.

And believing you don't need anyone else to help you is arrogant. So, according to you whichever way we choose to live we're going to be "evil". What a charming outlook.

Playing God: Hitler had his ideologies, Britain, a majority of the rest of Europe, US all opposed it. Those views are rare and become exponentially less likely to occur as history goes on and we learn from it.

I already answered on population concerns and such on the first page:

Energy problems? You underestimate science. Nuclear fusion could provide energy for the whole planet easily, and it uses hydrogen which is so naturally abundant we'd have a practically infinite amount of energy.

You can't just imagine that we'd live for a thousand years with the current quality of life. Look at the lives people had 100, 50 **** even 10 years ago. Technology is rapidly advancing, our scientific knowledge is increasing at an unbelievable rate. Human potential is bound solely by the laws of physics, the only limits before that are self imposed by people who are scared of change.

And on fresh air, the most likely future fuel sources will be renewable, nuclear and other uses of hydrogen, which would all cause zero pollution.

People argue because they find it intellectually stimulating to argue against another's view point. Also, we naturally dislike being proven wrong so defend our opinions.

Never said we don't need anyone to help us. We do. Another question, where would you put 100billion humans ? Or 1000 years after, 100.000 billions ? On Moon ? Mars ?
Bold part:
Another way of selfishness. Defending yourself and your opinions. If you are not selfish, let me win this argument. Even if you let someone win something ( like this argument) you are doing it for your self, to feel better, just like I'm going to do. Sooner or later, you'll get what I'm trying to say. Nice chat Joel, I really enjoyed. I think Jamie understand where I'm coming from.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Its not selfish as such that's what I'm saying, no one can help it (cliche), we carried/evolved the survival instinct gene we had when we were apes and developed a state of self preservation that every single person on the planet has inside of them.

''Selfish'' isn't really what it is in my opinion.

So what is it then ?

The moon has no atmosphere, so no. You seriously don't comprehend the size of the universe if they're the only things you can think of.

I get what you're trying to say perfectly fine. It's just what you're trying to say is stupid, contradictory and paradoxical.

You can't have a selfless act, you just proved it in that post. If it's impossible to not be selfish, why should you consider it bad? If something's bad then you should offer an alternative to it to make it good, since you can't, it must just be something you accept as life. You say that you love life, so you must accept that these inevitabilities of life are part and parcel of it, and deal with it rather than list it as a downside to humanity. It's not, so don't make it out to be by surrounding your argument with a paradox that can't be disproved, it's as bad as creationism, seriously. I've been arguing against the fact that selfishness isn't something to hate about society, maybe you'll get what I'm trying to say?

Last edited:
Another way of selfishness. Defending yourself and your opinions. If you are not selfish, let me win this argument. Even if you let someone win something ( like this argument) you are doing it for your self, to feel better, just like I'm going to do. Sooner or later, you'll get what I'm trying to say. Nice chat Joel, I really enjoyed. I think Jamie understand where I'm coming from

On the contrary, taking his time to try and help you understand the correct point of view (what he perceives to be the correct point of view at any rate: whether it is or not is a moot point) is the most selfless thing he could do in the situation. Being selfish would be just leaving you to proceed with your misguided opinions until they ran you into trouble.

Never said we don't need anyone to help us. We do. Another question, where would you put 100billion humans ? Or 1000 years after, 100.000 billions ? On Moon ? Mars ?

The moons of Jupiter? The hundreds of thousands of Goldilocks planets that we have yet to discover? Space is HUGE: it will take millions of years for the Human race to colonise even a tiny fraction of it.

The moon has no atmosphere, so no. You seriously comprehend the size of the universe if they're the only things you can think of.

I hope you're missing a word there, or that's the least convincing insult I've ever heard. :p

If everything's selfish, isn't nothing selfish?

1093.png
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA