First person to live to 1000 has already been born

If everything's selfish, isn't nothing selfish?

Are you serious ? What's "nothing" ? Gimme definition please :).

The moon has no atmosphere, so no. You seriously comprehend the size of the universe if they're the only things you can think of.

I get what you're trying to say perfectly fine. It's just what you're trying to say is stupid, contradictory and paradoxical.

You can't have a selfless act, you just proved it in that post. If it's impossible to not be selfish, why should you consider it bad? If something's bad then you should offer an alternative to it to make it good, since you can't, it must just be something you accept as life. You say that you love life, so you must accept that these inevitabilities of life are part and parcel of it, and deal with it rather than list it as a downside to humanity. It's not, so don't make it out to be by surrounding your argument with a paradox that can't be disproved, it's as bad as creationism, seriously. I've been arguing against the fact that selfishness isn't something to hate about society, maybe you'll get what I'm trying to say?

You thing we'll have rocket ships so powerful that can travel billiards of light years ? And even if we build something like that, you can't possibly expect to transport, lets say 1billion people at time ? It would take ages to transport whole planet ( or half). In my first post, I kinda overused word "evil" and "bad". It's human nature to be selfish. It doesn't mean you don't care about anyone. It means you need to get something from every choice you made. I love my life, myself, my friends, family, my two cats etc. But I expect something from them ( friends, family..). To give me my "friendship" back. Would you loan some of your friends money, if you know he won't return if and if you ask him, he wouldn't give you money ? I don't think so. You would say hes not real friend. Maybe he isn't, but still, you wouldn't loan him money.
Bold part:
I never said we should hate it. We should accept it. Buy society thinks selfishness is bad. I'm really tiered, you obviously don't understand my point, so I'll give up.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

On the contrary, taking his time to try and help you understand the correct point of view (what he perceives to be the correct point of view at any rate: whether it is or not is a moot point) is the most selfless thing he could do in the situation. Being selfish would be just leaving you to proceed with your misguided opinions until they ran you into trouble.

The moons of Jupiter? The hundreds of thousands of Goldilocks planets that we have yet to discover? Space is HUGE: it will take millions of years for the Human race to colonise even a tiny fraction of it.

I hope you're missing a word there, or that's the least convincing insult I've ever heard. :p

1093.png
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

Do you really think we'll last for another million years ?

Do you really think we'll last for another million years ?

That's another point entirely: I was just using it as an example to show how big space is. But in answer to the question, yeah, why not? We could well do it. Dinosaurs lived for over 150 million years, and let's face it, a dinosaur is not even close to being a match for a human.

That's another point entirely: I was just using it as an example to show how big space is. But in answer to the question, yeah, why not? We could well do it. Dinosaurs lived for over 150 million years, and let's face it, a dinosaur is not even close to being a match for a human.

Dino's weren't capable of destroying themselves or the planet though.

On the contrary, taking his time to try and help you understand the correct point of view (what he perceives to be the correct point of view at any rate: whether it is or not is a moot point) is the most selfless thing he could do in the situation. Being selfish would be just leaving you to proceed with your misguided opinions until they ran you into trouble.

Just like I'm going to do. And I answered this one before:
vanjagl said:
Another way of selfishness. Defending yourself and your opinions. If you are not selfish, let me win this argument. Even if you let someone win something ( like this argument) you are doing it for your self, to feel better, just like I'm going to do. Sooner or later, you'll get what I'm trying to say. Nice chat Joel, I really enjoyed. I think Jamie understand where I'm coming from.

Dino's weren't capable of destroying themselves or the planet though.

That is true, and it is one of the greatest threats to our race. However, I prefer to view the fact that we have the means to destroy ourself as a demonstration of the power of the human race. Not only have we manufactured such incredible devices, but we haven't used them to destroy everything around us. Arguably the closest we came was the Cuban Missile Crisis, but using our intelligence and our sense we worked our way out of that.

So long as the human race keeps its wits about it, capability of self-destruction needn't necessarily equate to a direct threat to our survival.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Just like I'm going to do. And I answered this one before:

What? You do realise you just quoted from the statement I directly answered, right?

If we could colonise the entire universe, then why not? I think this is bullshit.......

No, Mads, we are. End of story.

We use animal as a word to describe creatures which are not human. I know we are mammals and genetically we are animals, but mentally we are not, we are humans.

What Chris said. Selfish is an emotion, I'm talking a gene of self preservation we all have that we evolved from the survival instinct we had as apes. My only 'small' point...

What Chris said. Selfish is an emotion, I'm talking a gene of self preservation we all have that we evolved from the survival instinct we had as apes. My only 'small' point...

But you'll have to agree, in every act or choice we made, there's a little selfishness, something just for our selfs. Why do we have friends ?

We use animal as a word to describe creatures which are not human. I know we are mammals and genetically we are animals, but mentally we are not, we are humans.

As I said; we are, end of story. It is fact. Anyway it's irrelevant to the topic, I just quoted it because it frustrates me how people say we are not animals.

You thing we'll have rocket ships so powerful that can travel billiards of light years ? And even if we build something like that, you can't possibly expect to transport, lets say 1billion people at time ? It would take ages to transport whole planet ( or half). In my first post, I kinda overused word "evil" and "bad". It's human nature to be selfish. It doesn't mean you don't care about anyone. It means you need to get something from every choice you made. I love my life, myself, my friends, family, my two cats etc. But I expect something from them ( friends, family..). To give me my "friendship" back. Would you loan some of your friends money, if you know he won't return if and if you ask him, he wouldn't give you money ? I don't think so. You would say hes not real friend. Maybe he isn't, but still, you wouldn't loan him money.
Bold part:
I never said we should hate it. We should accept it. Buy society thinks selfishness is bad. I'm really tiered, you obviously don't understand my point, so I'll give up.

Stop exaggerating. Why would we need to transport 1 billion people at once? Your estimated population of Earth is way off, and you're trying to transport Earth's population in a couple of trips.

Yes, we can eventually build such things that can travel so fast. You do realise that there's no laws of Physics that forbid time travel, that it's possible for quantum objects to be in two places at once, don't underestimate science. There are stars within our own galaxy that are travelling quickly enough to escape our galaxy. I'm not saying it's probable, but it's certainly possible if we can build a ship to travel at near light speeds to exploit the effects of time dilation.

And that's purely hypothetical in which to answer a stupid question posed by yourself. There are more methods such as population control (as horrid as that sounds), survival of the fittest and such. It would take absolutely ages to reach the population figures you're talking about, and if we did and cannot find no solution, then we'll call it a day. The Earth is on a finite life span however you look at it, may as well make the most of it while we're here.

As I said; we are, end of story. It is fact. Anyway it's irrelevant to the topic, I just quoted it because it frustrates me how people say we are not animals.

I figured there was something. I have never seen someone so obsessed with telling people we are animals before.

I believe that when it comes down to it the self preservation gene takes hold and the adrenaline/hormones take hold people can commit great acts of selflessness but when someone's own life is on the line they would save themselves as priority because of genetics not necessarily freedom of conscious choice. But I'm making a side point here, we are all ape's evolved over millions of years and like the Ape at the zoo that will live 20-40 years with further/greater evolution comes greater standard of living/life expectancy.

I'm starting to feel like one man will blow this debate open if he was here, the one and only Mr Karl Pilkington. His views would be epic...

Sure they talked about this at some point in the RGS, I'll try and dig out a clip so it will feel like the guru himself is here giving his opinion on life/evolution...

Why shouldn't we have friends?

For gods sake, just answer the ******* question. And I NEVER said we don't need friends. If you even bother to read my previous post, you could see I said WE NEED FRIENDS. I want to hear from you why do we need friends ? You can't answer or you are afraid to answer ?