First person to live to 1000 has already been born

For gods sake, just answer the ******* question. And I NEVER said we don't need friends. If you even bother to read my previous post, you could see I said WE NEED FRIENDS. I want to hear from you why do we need friends ? You can't answer or you are afraid to answer ?

You seem angry. We need friends for fun and general life standard.

Stop exaggerating. Why would we need to transport 1 billion people at once? Your estimated population of Earth is way off, and you're trying to transport Earth's population in a couple of trips.

Yes, we can eventually build such things that can travel so fast. You do realise that there's no laws of Physics that forbid time travel, that it's possible for quantum objects to be in two places at once, don't underestimate science. There are stars within our own galaxy that are travelling quickly enough to escape our galaxy. I'm not saying it's probable, but it's certainly possible if we can build a ship to travel at near light speeds to exploit the effects of time dilation.

And that's purely hypothetical in which to answer a stupid question posed by yourself. There are more methods such as population control (as horrid as that sounds), survival of the fittest and such. It would take absolutely ages to reach the population figures you're talking about, and if we did and cannot find no solution, then we'll call it a day. The Earth is on a finite life span however you look at it, may as well make the most of it while we're here.

Lot of If's pal. maybe, maybe not. It could happen tomorrow, or for 1k years. You could never know.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

You seem angry. We need friends for fun and general life standard.

In not angry. I'm just frustrated that you, GC and Joel are avoiding my questions. Yes, we need friends to keep us happy, make us laugh, loan us some money, help us with something. Once again, I have proved my point.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Lot of If's pal. maybe, maybe not. It could happen tomorrow, or for 1k years. You could never know.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

In not angry. I'm just frustrated that you, GC and Joel are avoiding my questions. Yes, we need friends to keep us happy, make us laugh, loan us some money, help us with something. Once again, I have proved my point.

Off to watch MK. Raiden is so cool :)

Sure, lots of ifs. But you were being ignorant to the possibility. I'm certain the current generations life expectancy will go a fair bit into the 100's. If we could live to 1000, why not? I already showed you science can create a solution to every problem you asked, and population can be managed.

What question are you asking exactly? That we're all selfish? I originally said there's no such thing as a selfless act? Maybe if you weren't so **** cryptic you'd get an answer.

Sure, lots of ifs. But you were being ignorant to the possibility. I'm certain the current generations life expectancy will go a fair bit into the 100's. If we could live to 1000, why not? I already showed you science can create a solution to every problem you asked, and population can be managed.

What question are you asking exactly? That we're all selfish? I originally said there's no such thing as a selfless act? Maybe if you weren't so **** cryptic you'd get an answer.

I know why we are selfish. But I asked you a question, why do we need friends, and you, along with GC and Mads, didn't answer.
Ps. I did not rule possibility of living on another planet. It looks unrealistic at the moment ( since we don't have substitute for air, food, water, and powerful space ships), but it could happen some time in the future. Hope this answer satisfies you :)

Last edited:

Says the person who went through my last post, picked out one point and then asked a question in response to a question. We're actually answering your questions directly (except I want nothing to do with this weird meta discussion on selfish/lessness).

I know why we are selfish. But I asked you a question, why do we need friends, and you, along with GC and Mads, didn't answer.

We don't need them as such. We naturally as humans seek social company and interaction. We don't need them to do things for us, we need them to fulfil our natural nature to seek company.

We don't NEED friends. Need would mean that it is essential to have friends, like it is essential to eat and drink. Friendship isn't essential. Some people can happily live without friends, others need friends to live a HAPPY life, but still not to survive.

Right, fine, I'll bite.

Having friends doesn't equate to selfishness. We don't possess them: a friendship is a mutual action. We're not being selfish when we make friends; you don't meet someone and immediately try and use it for your own personal gain, whether consciously or otherwise. 'Friends' is a vague term: it can mean anyone from people you spend time with every day to Facebook friends who you've met twice in your lifetime, or even not at all. We have friends because human society is built on interaction - that's how we survived as a species. Yes, you could say that wanting to survive is selfish, but the selfishness is far outweighed by the selflessness that you contribute towards the group.

Ps. I did not rule possibility of living on another planet. It looks unrealistic at the moment ( since we don't have substitute for air, food, water, and powerful space ships), but it could happen some time in the future. Hope this answer satisfies you :)

Does it? Why? We can recycle air and water (how do you think the Space Station astro/cosmonauts survive?) and we can manufacture food. We can build space ships that can reach other planets. We did it with the moon, after all. Considering the pace of human advancement, ****, we could be living on another planet within our lifetime.

We don't NEED friends. Need would mean that it is essential to have friends, like it is essential to eat and drink. Friendship isn't essential. Some people can happily live without friends, others need friends to live a HAPPY life, but still not to survive.

So we don't need friends ? Joel, GC, Mads attack him for saying that. lol.Ok you can be happy without friends, family, and everybody else. But you need to replace them with something else. But, there must be some reason for not having friends, maybe you don't like sharing your personal stuff, ideas etc. Either way, there's selfishness in that.

So we don't need friends ? Joel, GC, Mads attack him for saying that. lol.Ok you can be happy without friends, family, and everybody else. But you need to replace them with something else. But, there must be some reason for not having friends, maybe you don't like sharing your personal stuff, ideas etc. Either way, there's selfishness in that.

You'll note that prior to my last comment I hadn't said a word in your ridiculous conversation on friendship, so don't try lumping us all together. We each have different views and opinions, thank you very much.

How does not having friends automatically = selfishness? Short of you depriving the world of your company (outrageously vain excuse, that one), there is no selfishness at all in not having friends. There could be other reasons you don't have friends: you could be disabled, and small children mock what they don't understand. I've seen it happen, a small crippled girl with no friends purely because she is crippled. Is that selfishness? She's being selfish because her legs don't work?

Right, fine, I'll bite.

Having friends doesn't equate to selfishness. We don't possess them: a friendship is a mutual action. We're not being selfish when we make friends; you don't meet someone and immediately try and use it for your own personal gain, whether consciously or otherwise. 'Friends' is a vague term: it can mean anyone from people you spend time with every day to Facebook friends who you've met twice in your lifetime, or even not at all. We have friends because human society is built on interaction - that's how we survived as a species. Yes, you could say that wanting to survive is selfish, but the selfishness is far outweighed by the selflessness that you contribute towards the group.

Does it? Why? We can recycle air and water (how do you think the Space Station astro/cosmonauts survive?) and we can manufacture food. We can build space ships that can reach other planets. We did it with the moon, after all. Considering the pace of human advancement, ****, we could be living on another planet within our lifetime.

Everything you do, everything you have done contains little bit of selfishness. Like you said, and I agree, friendship is a mutual action. Its a mutual need. Like I said before, mutual need=selfishness. You need something from your friends, just for yourself. I don't give a **** if he needs me for the same thing as long as he's/she's there to help me. We can have feeling for each other. We can love, we can hate, but in our every act there's a little bit of selfishness. You want best for you and your family. I want the same for mine. Joel wants same for his. But in the end, were looking for something that's going to make us happy. Like providing best care, stuff for your family ( and yourself).
About space stuff, you are right. But still, I think we are a century away from traveling speed of a light year.

About space stuff, you are right. But still, I think we are a century away from traveling speed of a light year.

And if we live for a thousand years we can...

That was pretty much the idea of this thread, not friendship and selfishness,

Everything you do, everything you have done contains little bit of selfishness.

See, you say that, but you haven't actually given any examples. I went over to fix my neighbour's boiler today: does that display selfishness in any way? She's a decrepit old lady. I was feeling a bit rubbish with a bout of flu. I didn't get anything out of it apart from feeling even worse, tearing a fingernail and having to lug some stuff over from my house. She got out of it a working boiler. I didn't even come out of the house feeling good about having helped her because I've been in such a foul mood recently. How does that make me selfish?

Like you said, and I agree, friendship is a mutual action. Its a mutual need. Like I said before, mutual need=selfishness. You need something from your friends, just for yourself.

You seem to be equating need with selfishness and treating them identically, which isn't the case at all. I can need something, but not necessarily need it for selfish reasons. Likewise, I can be selfish about something and not need it.

I don't give a **** if he needs me for the same thing as long as he's/she's there to help me. We can have feeling for each other. We can love, we can hate, but in our every act there's a little bit of selfishness. You want best for you and your family. I want the same for mine. Joel wants same for his. But in the end, were looking for something that's going to make us happy. Like providing best care, stuff for your family ( and yourself).

Well, that's just not true. Not everything we do is motivated by a constant, pathetically selfish need for self-gratification. Or at least, not everything I do - I can't speak for anyone else here.

Travelling at the speed of light isn't necessary for space travel, though.

You'll note that prior to my last comment I hadn't said a word in your ridiculous conversation on friendship, so don't try lumping us all together. We each have different views and opinions, thank you very much.

How does not having friends automatically = selfishness? Short of you depriving the world of your company (outrageously vain excuse, that one), there is no selfishness at all in not having friends. There could be other reasons you don't have friends: you could be disabled, and small children mock what they don't understand. I've seen it happen, a small crippled girl with no friends purely because she is crippled. Is that selfishness? She's being selfish because her legs don't work?

Not talking just about friends. Im talking about family also. ( well your family is your friend I guess). So that disabled kid ( physical disability) can make friends. Ofc they'll mock at small crippled girl cuz kids are kids, they are not in the touch with their feelings and they don't understand some stuff ( that mocking hurts, they think it's fun for both parties). But you can't use as example some psychically deformed people. They are not capable to decide (don't understand good from bad etc) properly.

See, you say that, but you haven't actually given any examples. I went over to fix my neighbour's boiler today: does that display selfishness in any way? She's a decrepit old lady. I was feeling a bit rubbish with a bout of flu. I didn't get anything out of it apart from feeling even worse, tearing a fingernail and having to lug some stuff over from my house. She got out of it a working boiler. I didn't even come out of the house feeling good about having helped her because I've been in such a foul mood recently. How does that make me selfish?

Oh what a piece of work you are. Hitler eat your heart out lad.

You seem to be equating need with selfishness and treating them identically, which isn't the case at all. I can need something, but not necessarily need it for selfish reasons. Likewise, I can be selfish about something and not need it.

Well, that's just not true. Not everything we do is motivated by a constant, pathetically selfish need for self-gratification. Or at least, not everything I do - I can't speak for anyone else here.

1. I don't know, I can't read minds. Why did you help that old woman ?
2. You don't need your PC right ? Why don't you sell it and give the money for the charity ?
3. Like I said, you want best things for you and your family. You'll be fine if some kid in Africa don't have shoes.
4. I'm not very smart, so can you help me with 4th part ? About Light speed and space travel ?

Because it's impossible for anything but light to travel at the speed of light. ^.^

Would still need to travel close, and while modern engineering can't conceive doing it, doesn't mean the future can't. There was a time when planes were inconceivable, when televisions were unheard of and you'd have been called mad for even suggesting something resembling a computer. And all those things were less than a century ago. The only thing we can do is seek more knowledge, it's not impossible to travel at extremely fast speeds, just not currently plausible. Look at what we achieved in a century, just imagine what's possible in the next century. Science is advancing at a rate like never before seen, and the best part is that the more we discover just speeds it up all the more.

We're on a thread discussing not only the notion of living to 1000, but the plausibility and challenges of it. That could never have been thought of even 20 years ago. Don't write humans off just because you're ignorant of science and lack the foresight to see past tomorrow.

And why the **** is this selfishness discussion go on? It's irrelevant to society, isn't interesting to think about and can already be answered, so what need is there to debate it? And most importantly of all - has no relevance to the **** thread.

And if we live for a thousand years we can...

That was pretty much the idea of this thread, not friendship and selfishness,

You are right. Like I said, i don't want to live for 1000 years. If you do, then you are selfish. Leave some space for your grandchildren.
GC, if you want to continue this, please send me PM or VM and we'll continue this tomorrow. Ps. how my English, am I getting better? It's the only reason why am I, in the first place, arguing with uou guys.

2. You don't need your PC right ? Why don't you sell it and give the money for the charity ?
3. Like I said, you want best things for you and your family. You'll be fine if some kid in Africa don't have shoes.
4. I'm not very smart, so can you help me with 4th part ? About Light speed and space travel ?

4. Einstein's relativistic mechanics teaches us that time dilates as we travel faster relative to another observer. It's impossible for anything but light to travel at that speed, but if you reach speeds close to the speed of light you still benefit from significant time dilation making space travel possible.

Dunno. But I did. Can tell you it wasn't for selfish reasons though.

Strawman argument. I don't need this, but I want it, thus I keep it. Me keeping my computer is pretty selfish, sure, but not everything I do is selfish.

No, you weren't listening. That's not need - that's want. Everyone would like more money and a better standard of living, but it doesn't govern their every action.

What Joel' said.

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Ps. how my English, am I getting better? It's the only reason why am I, in the first place, arguing with uou guys.

It is extremely good. Better than Joel's anyway. ;)

Though that aint saying much...