FM 2012 Progress - How is your game going?

Just got gateshead promoted to league 2, sitting comfortably in 16th place, 8 point off the relegation zones, scoring 34 an conceeding 21

After saving Everton from relegation last season, now sitting in 7th with a CC semi against Arsenal coming up.

Got some good signings over the summer, mainly Dimitar Berbatov and Rio Ferdinand on free transfers. Berba is now my top scorer, and Rio is the England captain.

Last edited:
Hello Folks,

this is Germany calling (so sorry for my bad english). This is the first time I bought the Football Manager via Internet, because Germany is EA Country and that really sucks.

I have a little problem finding new players for my team so I hope you can get me some hints for buidling a good team.

I play with Leeds United and survived the playoffs and in my first year in the PL I ended on 8th place... so everything should be fine. But it ins't!! I have really problems to get new players. Everybody I want is not interested in joining my club.

I tried to get Lewandowski from Dortmund (really love this guy... and here I know it would not be easy), I tried Schipplock (from Nürnberg/Hoffenheim), I tried Schieber (from Stuttgart). You know I'm looking for a striker obvoiusly, but I can't make a deal.

Unfortunately the best player in my team and the absolute fan favorite (Robert Snodgrass) had a release fee clause and moved to Everton. So I have a lot of transfer budget, but I can't land quality players.

Some of my actual key players are:
Tim Krul (GK) bought from Newcastle and earned Golden Gloves Award in his first PL Season for Leeds United
Siem de Jong (Midfield) bought from Ajax who started slowly but improved in the season and finished really strong
Sebastian Maier (AM) bought from 1860 Munich... the fans are skeptic but he showed improvement
Chris Basham (DM) bought in my first year in charge and he is fundamental for the defense (Anchor Man)
Chris Livermore (DM/CM) a player who surprised me a lot, with his good defensive work
Tom Cairney (ML) from Hull who is also improving and I want him to play as a AML in the future
James (?) Tomkins also from Newcastle who is solid as a rock in my defense.

But starting the 2013 campaign could be tricky and I need an AMR, a Striker and an DR. So if you can throw in some names here I would be grateful (on a virtual way ;)).

My honest advice: get a couple of good scouts and go for regens in these positions...

Ok, you don´t want my honest advice and you´ve got money, a few names like Knowledge Musona, Vaclav Kadlec, Yaya Sanogo or Carlos Fierro might help you as strikers. Sime Vrsalko develops into the best DR I can remember, but you can also try Romario from Vitoria, Michel from Almeria or Sebastien Corchia depending on your budget...

I will tell my story in a different post (maybe after I finish this season), but just to give you one example as a fellow head coach in German I will post one of my regen strikers in Unterhatching, who just finished third in German First Division (yep, this season Hatching is challenging Europe!). He needs some quickness training, but considering I just got him on a free transfer from Ajax, can´t complain much.

Thx Rafae for the answer. The preseason of the upcoming campaign was so frustrating that I did something I do very rarely. I loaded the end of the season and started the preseason again (and added some leagues for getting more players).

The 1st thing I did was reconstructing the contract of Snodgrass and then I looked through the sqaud of the relegated teams and snatched Walker as a DR from Bolton. First Bolton denied my bid but upset the player with this and now I could sign him for 7€ Million. Still I had problems getting some quality strikers, but I could get a young swiss striker from Wolfsburg (forget the name actually) and Schipplock from Hoffenheim as a pysical presence. The rest I used adding some depth at DC and adding some hot young prospects for the 2nd team at the moment. Fans were exicted for the signing of a young german defender from Dortmund named Koray Günther. At last I tried to get Sebastian Kehl (for getting some experience) on a free transfer for my DM, but he got a major injury shortly after my contract offer so he failed the medical test.

Starting the preseason was a little bit hard with a 0-1 Loss to Birmingham, but then came an easy encounter with some lower league clubs (6-0 and 5-0 were the results and very good for the morale of my squad) followed by a 2-1 win vs. Lyon and a 1-0 (could be much higher) win vs. Udinese.

The start in the PL was a little bit rough with a very lucky 0-0 for my team in West Brom (God bless Tim Krul) and now I have a home game against Newcastle. But I still have problems with my strikers... most of the goals come from players from the midfield and I will upgrade the squad in winter. I'm looking to get Robbie Keane (fantastic player in my opinion and I hope he will play a good european championship with Ireland) back from the USA and want him to tutor my young and promising striker Statham (16 years old, a physical beast and a value of 1,5 Million already).

But one thing is for sure: I've to upgrade my staff in every aspect. I need more scouts, a better assistant manager and some better coaches (3 1/2 to 4 stars in the training screen is not good enough).

Okay, first season in the Prem after promotion is going quite well.

View attachment 214253

Top after only six games, but I do have a home tie against Bolton next up. The save just generally looks rosey; making profit each month despite bringing in a load of new players.

View attachment 214254
Quite proud of only spending £1.9mil on new players with £1.4 of that being on a youngster from Leeds.

Great first season with Chelsea, winning the FA Cup, the League and the Champions League. Pretty good seeing as I joined in January when Chelsea were 8th 20 points behind league leaders Arsenal, come down to the last game of the season when I finally took the league. Key players were: Hulk, Mata and David Luiz who scored 12 :p.

First game as Newcastle manager:

View attachment 214293

:D When Leon Best scores, you know the opposition have had a poor game. Annoyingly we'd have gone top if Colo hadn't scored the own goal but can't really ask for more.

Kinda funny actually, started off managing Crawley, got them promoted to League 1 straight away, then spent 3 seasons there before again becoming a champion, then in October of our first Championship I got offered the Leicester job. After saving a backup in case I made the wrong decision I took it, and not only did I get leicester promoted as champions, but Crawley managed to get promoted through the playoffs even after I left. It's not like it was a particularly strong squad either (apart from Lukas Jutkeiwitz who scored something like 25 goals across that entire season).

Next up once this is done, Colwyn Bay, especially after their FA Cup run in 2015 where they beat Crystal Palace and Scunthorpe and only lost 1-0 to Southampton.

Okay, first season in the Prem after promotion is going quite well.

View attachment 214253

Top after only six games, but I do have a home tie against Bolton next up. The save just generally looks rosey; making profit each month despite bringing in a load of new players.

View attachment 214254
Quite proud of only spending £1.9mil on new players with £1.4 of that being on a youngster from Leeds.

Nice dealings mate. I play Nottm Forest, got promoted in 1st season, finish 8th in prem, now starting 3rd season.

Can't help but to spend all the money into new players for the past 2 January transfer window, but i think my squad is finally complete. Will start saving some by doing what u did next time around..

Been playing with radcliffe borough since the database was released,

into the premiership now..

the 1st season was hardwork as imagined finishing 16,

2nd season with a 6th place finish with no europe place for me because of burnley and chelsea winning the fa and carling cups whilst finishing outside the top 6 :( harsh times!!

here's just a little screenshot of how the premiership is looking :)

View attachment 214387

Nice dealings mate. I play Nottm Forest, got promoted in 1st season, finish 8th in prem, now starting 3rd season.

Can't help but to spend all the money into new players for the past 2 January transfer window, but i think my squad is finally complete. Will start saving some by doing what u did next time around..
I think I've been quite lucky. Got to the semis of the FA Cup in first season which boosts club rep quite a bit on FM2012. Don't think many of those players would have signed for me otherwise. Any players doing particularly well for you in your third season?

Just won the quadruple with chelsea, cavani got 50 goals in the league, beating the previous season by 5. Loving the game!

Sick of it already! Playing on iPhone. 2 seasons = 2 relegations With Newcastle & Ipswich, Ipswich were a bad choice I admit as they have financial problems but Newcastle! Now on my 3rd attempt trying trying Chelsea 3 games in = no goals & 3 defeats. Not happy don't know what to do now I've read up on formations and players not getting anywhere.

Currently managing Everton in 2013-14.

Saved them from relegation last season after taking over in Feb 2013 with the club sitting in 19th. Laboured to a 9th place finish in the end.

This season, comfortably sitting in the top 8, beat City in the final of the CC and got a takeover (not big, but debt-reducing).

However, I have a job offer from Leverkusen waiting at the end of the season, and I'm going for a bit of a journeyman save. Got the offer 2 days after winning the CC, and with Leverkusen only in 9th, I'm waiting to see if they get European football or not.

I started my first with FM 2012 with Manchester City, and in my opinion they are a monster team. Players are good, and you just have too much money to hire whoever you want... I hired some guys like Ter Stegen, Badelj, Vrsalko, Sanogo, Kovacic and won the Champions Cup like 4 out of 5 years (only lost one to Barcelona). If you guys want an easy team to start, get Manchester City, my only personal challenge was keeping the wage budget, but not really a problem as the chairman would invest if I need more money.

Then I started a new game with Almeria in Spanish second division. That was quite the challenge, as even after getting promoted and hiring some high potential youngsters like Kadlec, Yaisien, Joe Lewis (what I could get with the money I had) and Eric Mathoho (future captain and best african player) it was hard to catch Barcelona and Real Madrid. After the first season won by Athletic (quite a surprise to everyone), Barcelona would average 90-100 and seemed unstoppable in the league. Of course I could get a third place and qualify to Champions Cup, but took me some time and and a lot of players to bring down Barcelona.

Moved on to a new save in Germany, started in Third Division with Unterhatching. Winning the third was not a big deal, neither second division with a few signings. Now just finished 3rd place in First Division, my team is made of all regens, mostly hired for free (I swear the first time I was allowed to spend money on a player was when I qualified for the Champions League), except for Lorenzo Crisetig (captain) and Emre Can. I had to hire like 30-40 players per season on a free transfer, and kept the ones who showed potential or developed well. Germany allows up to 99 players registered in the squad...

Then I saw this thread in the forum challenging players to fight their way from England Lowest Divisions to the Champions League. I thought winning 6 divisions was a real challenge, and put aside my other save for a few days to start with Basingstoke in Blue Square Bet South, just cause they had a cool nickname - The Dragons. Honestly this was a bad idea, as most of my previous teams were chosen because they had players I liked, or at least suspected were good, and these guys were a semi-pro team with no useful players at all, and no money. Still, The Dragons was cool name and I am fighting my way through, just got promoted to the Championship after finishing 2nd in League 1. If I can ever qualify for the Champions Cup, or maybe even win it (anyone knows which year Messi retires? lol), I will post again.

Im currently on a save with Bayern Munich, in January 2018/19 i have won the league every year but i cannot seem to win the champions league, i get knocked out at the Semi, Quarters or in the final always to Barcelona and chelsea once to Arsenal, Chelsea has Cavani who cant stop scoring, i think i have a good chance this year, got Neymar last season for 50 mil but he got injured for most of the season, this year though he is injury free, hopefully, i feel i can win the Cl this year cause i have some quality midfeilders and defenders mostly regens from my youth systemch surprisingly doesnt produce much, still have Toni Kroos and Thomas Muller also emre can who is turning into quality mid, wish me luck ...

I am currently half way through my first season as York manager and can't believe how well I am doing! I have had three promotions in a row and currently top of the championship! I have played 219 games and won 137, drew 47, and lost 35 :). Also I am now the manager of uruguay, played 6 and won 4, drew 2. So overall a win percentage of 62% Here is a pic of these stats below and also my current league table:
View attachment 214698View attachment 214697

I am currently half way through my first season as York manager and can't believe how well I am doing! I have had three promotions in a row and currently top of the championship! I have played 219 games and won 137, drew 47, and lost 35 :). Also I am now the manager of uruguay, played 6 and won 4, drew 2. So overall a win percentage of 62% Here is a pic of these stats below and also my current league table:
View attachment 214698View attachment 214697

Plus I obviously haven't cheated, just look at the amount I have spent on players and how much I have bought and released ! :)

Plus I obviously haven't cheated, just look at the amount I have spent on players and how much I have bought and released ! :)

Don't think you are cheating, it's similar to my game... Just posting cause you say you bought and released a lot of players... You are actually doing pretty good with player management I suppose, I think I might have bought and released too many players... (124 bought, 42 sold and 101 released (H))

View attachment 214724