to keep it IMO you need players who can make the best decisions all the time especially under pressure
so composure anticipation decisions team work work rate come in mind with techinque first touch and passing to control the ball/game

It doesnt seem to make a difference Raikan little piece a couple posts back has finally convinced me to give up until the patch comes out because the things I see happening are unexplainable... Iv built a team to play possession but it little seems to work my best effort was a run of 10 games unbeaten but towards the end it all fell apart and the team started doing the same old craic hoofing it forward for no reason and not recognising clear opportunities to play the CF in... tweak it as much as you want and change it to suit the team you're playing and it still doesnt work...

Last edited:
New update out ... Looking through the changes looks like possession may now be easier/ possible time will tell

After the latest updates I'm finding possession tactics are alot more successful and my players are actually creating more chances with through balls. Pressure defense is MUCH more effective and on top of it all the matches themselves are vastly improved when watching them. There's still some work to be done with the goalkeeper playing out of the defense but SI says this will be fixed in the next patch.

This game is just impossible. I have developed (copied) a possession tactic and its working ok, in the fact we have alot of the ball. but my defence is just rubbish. I'm second season with Fulham, signed a good keeper (Ospina) and by back four consists of Riise, Hubschman, Hangeland and Cassani. which is ok, but we just leak goals all the time. I've dropped my defence deep as their not the fasted but nothing is working atm. very frustrating.

This game is just impossible. I have developed (copied) a possession tactic and its working ok, in the fact we have alot of the ball. but my defence is just rubbish. I'm second season with Fulham, signed a good keeper (Ospina) and by back four consists of Riise, Hubschman, Hangeland and Cassani. which is ok, but we just leak goals all the time. I've dropped my defence deep as their not the fasted but nothing is working atm. very frustrating.

Well, I usually play possession, and I find that a high defence with offside trap actually helps. You need to have VERY concentrated defenders with good anticipation but it cuts most attempts at through balls. The biggest problem is dealing with pacey dribblers in the flanks.

About my own efforts, I've been averaging around 65% possession but I've been trying to play a faster and wider style than I did in FM12, where I played narrow and slow, just because Raikan recommended it. However, I'm not seeing great results, and I can see myself turning back to a narrower and slower approach. Anyone thinking the same?

Also, I've been playing fullbacks, but I'm tempted to try wingbacks. I haven't done it because I predict an ever bigger raping in the defence department. Should I go for it?

Last edited:
i am really struggling with tactics all together.. partly my fault too as i dont know 100% what style i wanna play..
i like the idea of good solid defence and counter attack football..
i tried possession football too but i find it hard, they just pass around but no CCC, and my defense just leaks goals after goals.
it seems one attack and they score (one highlight for them)
help please!!!!!!! is there a tactical bible for fm13?? i seem to remember there was one you could download for fm11 which was great help for me.. since then i have struggled to get a good tactic possessional or counter!!

i am really struggling with tactics all together.. partly my fault too as i dont know 100% what style i wanna play..
i like the idea of good solid defence and counter attack football..
i tried possession football too but i find it hard, they just pass around but no CCC, and my defense just leaks goals after goals.
it seems one attack and they score (one highlight for them)
help please!!!!!!! is there a tactical bible for fm13?? i seem to remember there was one you could download for fm11 which was great help for me.. since then i have struggled to get a good tactic possessional or counter!!

tell me how to open a new thread and you ll have your tactical bible.

Just got Ipswich to the prem through the play offs and decided I'll have a go at making a possession based tactic and might try 3 at the back (I have suitable players for both and a bit of money to spend), and I was wandering if anyone had had any success with 3 at the back in latest update?
Also is there anyway I could replace the WBs with 2 DMs without getting raped by wingers?
Should I put my CBs on cover/stopper/cover or all on defend or what?
Does the offside trap work better with 3 at the back compared to 4 cus I haven't had any success with it with 4?
Finally, would setting IFs to 'move into channels' work better in order to create more space or would I be better leaving them on 'cut inside'?

Thanks in advance.

Just got Ipswich to the prem through the play offs and decided I'll have a go at making a possession based tactic and might try 3 at the back (I have suitable players for both and a bit of money to spend), and I was wandering if anyone had had any success with 3 at the back in latest update?
Also is there anyway I could replace the WBs with 2 DMs without getting raped by wingers?
Should I put my CBs on cover/stopper/cover or all on defend or what?
Does the offside trap work better with 3 at the back compared to 4 cus I haven't had any success with it with 4?
Finally, would setting IFs to 'move into channels' work better in order to create more space or would I be better leaving them on 'cut inside'?

Thanks in advance.

The answer to all your question depends on how your opponent plays.

oh.
Well have you got any advice on making 3 at the back with no wing backs working?

1.The only scenario that would make me use 3 cbs would be an opponent playing with 3 clear strikers.
2. Trying to play possession football with ipswich always and against everyone is against reallity and, in my opinion, against fm 2013 ME.
3. If there are opposite wingers and you have dms instead of fbs you will suffer.
4. I wouldnt prefer stopper/cover, but 2 cbs defend with offside trap. Ofcourse, having in mind the team you are coaching, you should consider always pitch dimension + pace + anticipation + marking + positioning of cbs to set your defense line properly.
5. For the offside trap to work it doesnt matter if you use 3 or 4 in d. line. What matters is at number 4.
6. Inside forwards cut inside for a reason. you must use them when your system is made to take advantage of them.

1.The only scenario that would make me use 3 cbs would be an opponent playing with 3 clear strikers.
2. Trying to play possession football with ipswich always and against everyone is against reallity and, in my opinion, against fm 2013 ME.
3. If there are opposite wingers and you have dms instead of fbs you will suffer.
4. I wouldnt prefer stopper/cover, but 2 cbs defend with offside trap. Ofcourse, having in mind the team you are coaching, you should consider always pitch dimension + pace + anticipation + marking + positioning of cbs to set your defense line properly.
5. For the offside trap to work it doesnt matter if you use 3 or 4 in d. line. What matters is at number 4.
6. Inside forwards cut inside for a reason. you must use them when your system is made to take advantage of them.

I used some of your advices in my Sporting Gijon save and in my first match with the new tactic two player made 99 passes and I had 75% possession. It was just a friendly, but I think that I am on the right way