I should have posted everything in one post but one thing I have noticed is my defending from long balls, my defenders seem to end up all over the place. Is it best to set team to play offsides if pushing up or would I benefit from dropping my defensive line to normal but on the border of push up?

I ended up setting my centre backs to mixed, my full backs to direct, both centre mids to short with my more attacking one to longshots sometimes and to roam, my wingers on mixed, my playmaker on short along with my striker. So far ive been getting about 80% completion and have been creating between 1-6 ccc so far in matches so im going to see how it goes and if I need to then slightly tweek them again, still took lot of tips from here for lot of things and incorporated some of my own =)
I have played a few games now into first season, got my midfielders, wingers and forward on short passing, defenders on mixed and full backs on direct, this seems to be working fine at moment and just signed Adryan so hoping he will fit into my team asap. Used mainly tips from this whole thread which has helped me loads, cheers

Need help with my possession Tactic......

How should I set my creative freedom for my players???

can anyone please post a screenshot how to set your players for a possession tactic everything I try not working....

Hey all, my first post in here so please be kind!

As my username suggests, I'm a lover of "tiki-taka", and have tried to make my teams play this way on FM; my targets being to have >70% possession, and create >2 CCs per game, while clocking up a very high pass count (>650 passes).

This worked great in FM12 and, after following advice from a "possession break" tactic, I was successful in beating teams with around 80% possession on a consistent basis, letting in very few goals and achieving more than 700 passes in each game, even against quality opposition.

Now, I'm no noob (indeed, I'm currently in 2026 on FM12), but I just can't seem to get things working in FM13...Moving my tactics across, my players let in sloppy goals for no good reason, my players seem to be too keen to play a killer ball, and my GK consistently boots the ball up the pitch despite being instructed to go for a simple ball to the unmarked defence. As a result, my possession is down, the play is far too open with both sides having a multitude of shots, while my defence is about as useful as an already melted chocolate tea-pot...

Anyone else having the same problems? Is it ME related? Please help :mad:

I have the same problems as the guy above, also my midfielders take a ridiculous amount of long shots, when there instructed to 'Rarely' take them.

Having the same problem as the guys above. I can get my players to do hundreds of passes, my playmaker regularly getting about 160-200, but my team are always taking long shots and missing by miles. I let in sloppy goals and I'm finding it very difficult to score.

I've tried a few tweaks but not getting anywhere. I can post screenshots if need be?

EDIT: I've also noticed that most of my passes are outside of the box and lacking any penetration into their 18 yard area

Last edited:
can anyone please post a screenshot how to set your players for a possession tactic everything I try not working....

Ive found personally to get the most possession I have to use 3 defenders ... But comes at a great price of well conceding bags load of goals...

I used the FMTN Possession Break Tactic and then did a few tweaks. My inability to score goals has been mega frustrating though. I keep conceding goals against weaker teams that I should really be beating. I've not tweaked it enough for more penetration and the board were getting twitchy. Had to switch to a more attacking formation so this one got set aside.

I used the FMTN Possession Break Tactic and then did a few tweaks. My inability to score goals has been mega frustrating though. I keep conceding goals against weaker teams that I should really be beating. I've not tweaked it enough for more penetration and the board were getting twitchy. Had to switch to a more attacking formation so this one got set aside.

can you post the tweak please ^^)

One thing I seem to struggle with is tempo can find that works best, also my wide fwds (inside fwds) should they be set to move into channels or not

Im just about to start my fourth season with Cordoba Iv attempted and subsequently failed to implement possession every season so far leading me to go back to my older cavalier style which has little emphasis on defence...
Anyway I find this incredibly frustrating since last season I was able to apply the principles of pass and move/win the ball high up the field with Milan/Villa/Charlton... It seemed to be fairly straight forward to solve any issues I had...
However now things are so hit and miss its difficult to tell where Im going wrong... Fair enough these are only friendlies but I hopped off AC 4-0 then I play Nantes and I think we drew 4-4... Milan had a solid team out but did little to cause any defensive issues then I play Nantes and they have 8 CCC's and despite me scoring 4 we didn really offer a serious threat IMO...
Iv found this to be the problem towards the end of the 2014/2015 season I loaded my old tactic which was alot like Swansea's style... I had a high focus on keeping the ball and winning it back and if teams did break they were often limited to long range shots... This FM12 tactic worked well for two or three games then I drew a few before getting walloped by Betis who were 17th (I was 3rd or 4th) some would say this is football but the inconsistency is amazing... I rotated between a 4231/4231 similar philosophy for the last 8 games but both showed great defence then poor defence...

That was more of a rant than a help me post
So..... What do you find works in possession tactics this year and what doesnt? Or is it more of the same bar silly ME problems and you need to give the tactic longer than last year?

For me Iv discovered my striker settings from last year makes him operate as a Flase 9 this time around but none of my strikers fit that bill this year...
High pressing causes my DF line to become undone rather easily...
Using hold up ball with my DM catches me out alot (I have Javi Garcia on loan so I doubt its the player)...
Im experimenting with FBs using Hold up Ball but I find they are trying to attempt cross field balls or stupid long passes to the furthest forward CM...
Increasing the Tempo/Width/DF Line doesnt always lead to more CCC...

hi guys
in your opinion what are the main attributes for compact team possesion game? I mean something like this:
ST - Finishing, Passing, Flair, Off the ball, Creativity
AMC - Creativity, Passing, Off the ball, Flair, Technique
ML/MR - Pace, Passing, Off the ball, Flair, Anticipation
DMC - Tackling, Passing, Creativity
What do you think? Technical skills are quite obvious in some positions, but what about Mental and Physical ones? :)

Im building new team so I need to figure out who might fit in new conception etc. ;)

Last edited:
Finding it very hard to gain any type of possession without leaving my defence vulnerable, especially since player instructions on the game are not being listended to one bit :(

Finding it very hard to gain any type of possession without leaving my defence vulnerable, especially since player instructions on the game are not being listended to one bit :(

FM13 is not conducive to possession tactics this year.. I would highly recommend staying away from creating possession tactics at the moment!

But thats where all the fun is :( really ruins my enjoyment of the game ...

But thats where all the fun is :( really ruins my enjoyment of the game ...

FM is more than just passing stats mate :)

try and create a good tactic that works and wins games consistently then once the newer patches come out we can see what type of football is best suited :) but at the moment, its not possession :)

I know i know lol Just dont get the tactics on this game one bit ... having a mare haha

i see most ppl here ask what attributes you should use for a possession type of play
well firstly if u want to keep possession you have to win it as a fast as possible meaning players with good anticipation , positioning aggression work rate are required plus tackling to execute
to keep it IMO you need players who can make the best decisions all the time especially under pressure
so composure anticipation decisions team work work rate come in mind with techinque first touch and passing to control the ball/game