FM15 Post your Frustrations/Raaaage

• Thread starter Thread starter Dunc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 537K
Computer scores when they need to

Just had a game playing as Birmingham in my 2nd season - 2-0 up and thrashing Aston Vila (match stats at 10 mins were something like 7 shots on target to 0, 2 clear cut chances to 0). 10 minutes later it's 2-2, Charlie Austin banging in Villa's first 2 shots on target. I went on to lose the game 4-3, despite having 25 shots on goal to their 10 and about 60-odd % possession. I know it sounds like whinging, and I know the responses are likely to consist of "it's your tactics", but it's really, really, really frustrating. The computer seems to be able to score at exactly the right time, if/when they are required to do so. I never get battered in games, yet I seem to go on long win-less runs, all draws in games I should've won, or losses in tight matches. It sounds conspiratorial, but something happened during this save that made me wonder whether there isn't at least an element of the pre-conceived about some results. A save file got corrupted, which meant I had to replay a game against Blackburn at home which I had previously lost 2-0 (having dominated both shots and clear cut chances). Thinking I might be able to fortuitously cheat the system, I tweaked my tactical setup and... lost 2-0, having dominated in all aspects of the game, with both goals being conceded from hilarious mistakes from my usually reliable centre half.

Dominating matches and losing has been a common trend in the last few FMs and it really does infuriate me. The thing is, I don't mind getting battered, because then at least I know I need to change something, but when you regularly outplay opponents and still lose it's difficult to know where to turn. I mean, it would really **** me off if I made changes and as a result lost the attacking style that enables the team to dominate games, but then if you're only winning 2 in 11 then you're obviously required to change something. While I do accept there are probably things someone could do, when it's not immediately obvious it can make the game seem almost exclusive. Also, when defeats seem to be at the mercy of a defender's mind-boggling inability to clear, or Charlie Austin's ability to fire one in from 25 yards with his 9 long shot rating, it rather seems like results are beyond your control!

Other quibbles - absolutely ridiculous amount of shots (and goals) from direct free-kicks - a match in the aforementioned Birmingham save had 3 goals all from direct free kicks - two from the same player. It's gets extremely tedious watching shot after shot after shot from free kicks, and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to stop it. Other standard stuff - the ridiculous amount of 'mistakes' defenders with good defending and mental stats make (David Edgar has made 127 in 30 matches - that's more than 4 a game!) and the way you can tell when you're going to concede because your players either slow down and wait to have the ball taken off them, or slow down and refuse to control the ball when it is near them.

This FM blows.... I have played FM since 08 and I have played every 1 up until the release of the new game. I am fed up with 15 already there are so many issues such as.

Injuries (so many)
Goals (so many)
Shots (so many)
Winning to easily

and many many more.

They seriously need to sort it out next patch.

who agree's?

2ly5s8i.jpg
What the **** is this??? I've lost my best centre back for almost a season(already been gone 2 months) through international duty. How can this kind of thing STILL be happening in FM???.

2ly5s8i.jpg
What the **** is this??? I've lost my best centre back for almost a season(already been gone 2 months) through international duty. How can this kind of thing STILL be happening in FM???.
The only way out that I can envisage is to sell the player. Mourinho is asked in an interview about Reid going up for sale and says "It must have taken something very serious for this to have occurred". It did Mo, it really did.

Was FM 13 any better than FM 15 is though?
13 was much better.

I find FM15 easier and have a much higher win rate but regular results like the one I posted on the last page are to me just the game saying 'ah you've won too many games in a row so here's a defeat for you'.

They've went from one extreme (FM12 **** strikers capable of 50+ goals) to the other (world class strikers hittinh everything but the back of the net)

13 was much better.

I find FM15 easier and have a much higher win rate but regular results like the one I posted on the last page are to me just the game saying 'ah you've won too many games in a row so here's a defeat for you'.

They've went from one extreme (FM12 **** strikers capable of 50+ goals) to the other (world class strikers hittinh everything but the back of the net)

Honestly, with the amount of BS I encounter on this game, I'm considering going back to FM 12.

It sounds conspiratorial, but something happened during this save that made me wonder whether there isn't at least an element of the pre-conceived about some results.

Dominating matches and losing has been a common trend in the last few FMs and it really does infuriate me. The thing is, I don't mind getting battered, because then at least I know I need to change something, but when you regularly outplay opponents and still lose it's difficult to know where to turn. I mean, it would really **** me off if I made changes and as a result lost the attacking style that enables the team to dominate games, but then if you're only winning 2 in 11 then you're obviously required to change something.

Mate everything you wrote in your original post its like I wrote it... Im Derby about half way through my 3rd season and its the same as you somewhere towards the end of my second season my team just started going down hill... I breezed through the first season it was so easy and then in my first EPL season I managed to finish 5th... Games werent easy but I almost always managed to grind out 1-0s this season though has been a disaster...

My two wingers (Lingard & Grealish) were firing in goals left, right and center but now they barely score... My CF has started to get on the score sheet but the amount of missed CCCs is beyond ridiculous and then the computer scores so easily its really frustrating... I cant figure out what I need to change to get back to where I was... Something is fundamentally wrong with my side but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is...

You are definitely having exactly the same problems as me... I had a fairly attacking side but I was forced to change some stuff and ended up being a dominating side that struggled to score and leaked goals... Everyone gives me trouble I resorted to going 4-2-4 attack in the final 20 mins of most of the last 10 games...

Im starting to wonder if I'll ever find a balance... I think this is what I get for being a little smug when reading about how some people struggled in their games... There is a fundamental flaw somewhere... Right now Im going back to my old tactic and seeing if it will restore me to winning ways only thing I can think is the tweaks I made to get my CF more involved have negatively affected my Wingers... The issue with my backline is the big problem I have better defenders and stronger protection in front of them but conceding for fun...

Wish me luck!

Dominating matches and losing has been a common trend in the last few FMs and it really does infuriate me. The thing is, I don't mind getting battered, because then at least I know I need to change something, but when you regularly outplay opponents and still lose it's difficult to know where to turn. I mean, it would really **** me off if I made changes and as a result lost the attacking style that enables the team to dominate games, but then if you're only winning 2 in 11 then you're obviously required to change something. While I do accept there are probably things someone could do, when it's not immediately obvious it can make the game seem almost exclusive. Also, when defeats seem to be at the mercy of a defender's mind-boggling inability to clear, or Charlie Austin's ability to fire one in from 25 yards with his 9 long shot rating, it rather seems like results are beyond your control!

That you don't turn your apparent dominance into victories then it means you're doing something wrong. And that means that dominance is apparent. Dominance is not to have more possession or more shots. Dominance is getting the match following your plans for it. And what happens in those is that the match is following the plan of your opposition. Getting the big team to have more of the ball and close spaces at the back so he has many shots but of poor quality (here I have to say 95% of times I disagree with the way the game counts CCCs) aiming to get a few better quality chances through counter attacks. So when you're having all those many shots and possession it's not because you're earning them, it's because your opponent is allowing you to have them, because their plan is that you have them. This is something I love to do to the AI's big teams with my usually smaller sides. I enjoy seeing those statistics when my team has 4 shots and I've won 1-0 or 2-0 against the big side with 25+ shots. Because of those 25+shots almost 50% are long range hopeful shots done when frustrated players got tired of failing to see passes forward and the rest are closer shots where the player was well marked and either the pressure made him hard to aim the ball or he had only one line to shoot at the goal with the goalkeeper just on it, so that even if he's at short range it's easy for the goalkeeper to save and if he doesn't shave it it's because it was just off target (this is a kind of chance that the engine likes to count as CCC and in no way is a CCC. The real CCCs use to be count as half chances). In those games (my Burgos 1 - Real Madrid 0, Burgos 2 - Atlético de Madrid 0 and Barcelona 1 - Burgos 2 in my first season in La Liga in FM11 or my 3-0 win over Chelsea with Torino in FM12 or other giant kills in FM13, FM14 and FM15) who dominated the match? My team. Why? Because my plan was let the big team have the ball and occupy my defensive space so he'd have many shots but all of poor quality, then look with balls over the top and counter attacks to have a handful of chances and hope to take one and the match followed the argument of my opponent having all the ball and not finding space leading him to poor quality shots, while I had a handful of chances and took one or two of them. So what happened is that -I- forced the match to follow my plan instead of the big team that was to come at me to get behind my defense or cause it to open up spaces with their possession, with more shots than mine, but not as many as they had and of a very different kind of which they had.

I recommend you highly to go to Cleon81's blog, read his "Standing on the shoulder of giants" post and wait for the next part in which he'll deal with playing that short of game that so many frustration brings to you. In the Standing... you already may see some times you can use to improve in that kind of match.

Last edited:
I'm getting really ****** off with the player interactions that have clearly been left untouched for several permutations of FM now.

Player comes to me and says he's not getting enough 1st team action. Fair enough, he hasn't as I have better options ahead of him.
I tell him I'll transfer list him at the end of the season and he responds "great".
When I transfer list him, at the end of the season, he ******* throws his toys out and spreads discontent in the squad!

This needs to be rehashed or completely redone from ground up. The fact that the game/player can't remember they asked to be TL'd is preposterous and causes massive and unnecessary blocks in the enjoyment of the game.

Signed Hachim Mastour and since signing he has torn his hamstring, out for 4 months and now broken his leg, out for 6 months...

X Club would like 35 million for X player.

Enter 15 million, hit Negotiate.

X Club have negotiated and now want 40 million for X payer.

Wait...wut?

THE article is out. I'm about to read it but I know this is a MUST READ and specially for any who's going to come because he didn't break the small team with their big side. Building A Tactic From The Beginning – The Walls of Jericho | SI Sports Centre by @Cleon81, tactical and FM master. Read it. Read it, study it, understand it, listen to it.

Cheers for this read the other one but was a bit late for me...

I think best advice he gave was to re-watch a game in full and take notes... Turned my season around the changes I made but still got some issues to iron out...

My first season back in the Prem with Rovers has been ridiculously injury plagued, it seems like every match I'm having a player hobble off and its really been twisting my melon. 3 key players (Jordan Rhodes, Rudy Gestede and Craig Conway) have missed more than half of the season due to long term injuries being sustained, Gestede in fact was injured in the 5th week of the season and has only made 4 substitute appearances since then because every time he's just about match-fit again he picks up another injury. I've tried everything in the book but I just cannot stop my players from picking up injuries. Signed Sinan Kurt on loan til the end of the season in January, early February he picks up an injury keeping him out for the rest of the season and I can't return him.

Despite this major problem though, I have had a rather successful season. I currently lie in 8th place with 2 games to go on 56 points.

Cheers for this read the other one but was a bit late for me...

I think best advice he gave was to re-watch a game in full and take notes... Turned my season around the changes I made but still got some issues to iron out...

That's the first and most important of all, indeed. In any highlight mode there's a lot of information you're missing out, as it filters out all the times a play doesn't reach anything, therefore leaving out all the problems that lead to issues leading to fizzle out possessions. In highlights you only see the issues with the final passes and, maybe, if a defender lost the ball creating a chance for the rivals you see some issue with the initial distribution phase; but you don't see all the plays that die out in the middle phase because they didn't reach the point where they would have been threatening and the losing the ball there wasn't dangerous. So unless you watch full, you'll be missing on a lot of information on your tactic and the rival's.

Lol, didn't think i would be raging so quickly. I haven't really had time to play FM over the past 18 months or so. FM14 probably saw less than 10 hours of game time.

But I took advantage of the steam offer of FM15 for £20 this past week or so, loaded my usual first save of Man Utd and got to grips buying all the best children across the globe. I also purchased Depay as Ryan Giggs somehow managed to negotiate his transfer for 6 million?!

I knew really i needed a top defender to rebalance uniteds squad, but i thought with the pressure essentially off from the board (they set my expectation to champs league qualification and gave me 60 million to spend) i thought i would have a bit of fun in the first season with the attacking talents at my disposal whilst buying up a squad for the future. I couldthen build from the back in the 2015/16 season.

Pre-season went ok, with narrow wins against Chinese sides on the pre season tour and a pleasing 4-1 win over Fiorentina. I noticed we were pretty poor at the back as i expected, but also quite slow/boring in attack. I moved to correct this attacking sluggishness towards the end of pre-season with some fairly positive results.

1st league game, just got spanked by an average Spurs side 6-2.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage. XD

Last edited:
Lol, didn't think i would be raging so quickly. I haven't really had time to play FM over the past 18 months or so. FM14 probably saw less than 10 hours of game time.

But I took advantage of the steam offer of FM15 for £20 this past week or so, loaded my usual first save of Man Utd and got to grips buying all the best children across the globe. I also purchased Depay as Ryan Giggs somehow managed to negotiate his transfer for 6 million?!

I knew really i needed a top defender to rebalance uniteds squad, but i thought with the pressure essentially off form the board (they set my expectation to champs league qualification and gave me 60 million to spend) i thought i would have a bit of fun in the first season with the attacking talents at my disposal whilst buying up a squad for the future. I couldthen build from the back in the 2015/16 season.

Pre-season went ok, with narrow wins against Chinese sides on the pre season tour and a pleasing 4-1 win over Fiorentina. I noticed we were pretty poor at the back as i expected, but also quite slow/boring in attack. I moved to correct this attacking sluggishness towards the end of pre-season with some fairly positive results.

1st league game, just got spanked by an average Spurs side 6-2.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage. XD

Should have bought Inigo Martinez and Seamus Coleman. I've conceded just 5 goals in the league halfway through the season

TBecause my plan was let the big team have the ball and occupy my defensive space so he'd have many shots but all of poor quality, then look with balls over the top and counter attacks to have a handful of chances and hope to take one

Football logics 101 basically, it's easier to score in open spaces rather than in a crowded box. Plus what you said about the game simulating the 30 shots team occasionally becoming frustrated when the early goal doesn't come and the battered team hangs on possibly growing in confidence. Older versions of the game weren't as explicit about this, but now you've got in-match feedback such as a player's body language. This has been a common theme in all of FM's history, and is connected to many traditional ways of playing. E.g. download exploit tactics that previously had sides getting a number of chances always despite playing poorly, and generally people focusing on statistics concluding that a tactics that would produce 25 shots per match to be suited to any situation and being fantastic by definition. Additionally statistics, none of them, tells anyone anything about who created the chance, in which way, and who was the finisher. It was always suggested for a more balanced set-up to have multiple chance types as well as finishers who get in the box, another frustration. Even then though, f*ck happens. There is no guarantee for anything, and that you don't have to outplay anyone to get a win in a low scoring sports as this is arguably the reason why football is the most popular sports in the world, one shot can make all the difference in the world, and it might be enough. But recognizing this you might at least be able to minimize it from happening to you regularly.

That said, I find it significantly harder to get a result in this one via dropping off and inviting the opponent in the half. Can't pinpoint to why, but it can quickly results into a shot fest even against weaker sides, and if i'd haphazard a guess the throw ins at the height of your box and or other set pieces you concede on occasion are converted a tad too often. Most naturally if you defend deep and back off and allow the majority of play to be in your own half, you will concede more of those respectively. If you will my current frustration. Some actually argue that playing a pro-active pressing game no matter what side would be the least risky route by default. Still in older versions it was arguably too easy to force the opponent to take long shots. That it's sometimes to easy for the attacking teams to get a finish or to get into the box is also reflected in the odd AI match in which both sides get 50 shots off combined.

Last edited:
That said, I find it significantly harder to get a result in this one via dropping off and inviting the opponent in the half. Can't pinpoint to why, but it can quickly results into a shot fest even against weaker sides, and if i'd haphazard a guess the throw ins at the height of your box and or other set pieces you concede on occasion are converted a tad too often. Most naturally if you defend deep and back off and allow the majority of play to be in your own half, you will concede more of those respectively. If you will my current frustration. Some actually argue that playing a pro-active pressing game no matter what side would be the least risky route by default. Still in older versions it was arguably too easy to force the opponent to take long shots. That it's sometimes to easy for the attacking teams to get a finish or to get into the box is also reflected in the odd AI match in which both sides get 50 shots off combined.

Yeah, I share that one. It's somewhat worrysome, though it's improved since the 15.1.3 patch, seeming to have a slight return after 15.2. Doing tests with the ultradefensive tactic, I had a Rayo - Real Madrid that was a 22 shots for Rayo and 48 for Real Madrid, which is insane. My suspicion, however, has been directed to the effectiveness of marking. I've seen more frequently than in older versions player pulling off precise crosses, passes and shots when under close marking. It gives me the feeling, which is a feeling more than something I can say actually happens, being marked at times is indistinguishable from being in acres of space. I did report my suspicions with a couple of pkms over the SI forums.

Last edited:
Back