Football Manager 2012 Activation

• Thread starter Thread starter CtPauley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 363
  • Views Views 55K
Bullshit is this to stop pirates, this is to make me and my brother both buy a copy! :(

Both can use Steam. You can turn on FM, get off your steam and then put it on a different PC, turn on FM on that and it still works.

No need for the disc.

Pretty sure FM has a fit and doesn't let you play once you log out of your account, can't remember though..

misquoting ftl ;)

haha on the si thread, lots of people complained they couldnt do that, until someone pointed out its illegal (its in the EULA agreement or something) its just now impossible to do something you shouldnt have been doing anyway

Well yeah it's as illegal as lending your games to friends, never seen anyone get arrested for that..

im not judging you, im just saying its a bit harsh to be angry at them for stopping you from doing something you shouldnt be doing anyway

Perhaps many people will disagree because of the false value system in our world, and the strong anti-"piracy" media campaign, based on the oxymoron "intelectual private property" but I find all these anti-pirate measures funny. I personally buy games or music only if I know what they are ( I have played the game/demo, or I know all the songs in the album) and I do it because of charity.. you know - to support the band or company - and only if we are talking about a relatively small company and not extremely popular band - in other words I would never BUY something made by EA, or some album with producer Sony or Warner Bros - this is not helping the band for the next album or the next game - this is simply making someone a billionare. What I mean is that instead of giving money for useless features like this anti-piracy thing, they could have made real improvements on the game, and I and I believe many other people with my attitude would no doubt buy the game to support the making of the next title in the FM series.

PS: And to all these people, who claim that P2P is illegal: There is simply no actual reasonable excuse for making it illegal. If P2P is illegal, then libraries are illegal too - let's ban them!

Personally I am a bit torn on getting FM 2012, I've held off on other games which need the client because I disagree with the approach taken.

Why should you always need the client to run your games? It needs to run even if in offline mode. What if you have problems accessing your account? You're locked out of content you've paid for where you'd normally just grab the disc.

I want to help developers but I am frustrated at having to jump through the loops of the publisher these days, I worry for the industry as it is nearly guaranteed that a pirate version will be up regardless within the first week of release. Putting up requirements such as this is not targeting piracy, it's punishing the customer by making things more difficult for them.

There is another reason why this method of activcation is pushed upon us. Second hand games sales don't provide anything to the publisher / developer. This impacts the customer who can't get a cheaper second hand product and it means once a game is paid for it has no monetary value to the customer after sale. With it tied to account you're the only holder, only way to make money is then to sell your account credentials. With paid for DLC rife throughout the industry as well it's only heading in one direction and none of it is really positive to the gamer. I imagine somewhere down the line updates (stat & transfer updates) of this series might become a paid for luxury. I sincerely hope not but can see it happening.

e.g. http://gamepolitics.com/2010/05/11/developer-labels-used-games-worse-piracy

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6333786.html

Not any of SI's fault but I hope people can understand the reluctance of some customers to support this method of business.

As an alternative, look at the approach taken by CD Projekt, makers of The Witcher 1 & 2, DRM is patched out of the series after launch, it is used as a protection for early leaking / release day piracy but then removed for the convenience of the customer shortly after. This is a much more respectable approach I wish more companies would take.

Last edited:
Perhaps many people will disagree because of the false value system in our world, and the strong anti-"piracy" media campaign, based on the oxymoron "intelectual private property" but I find all these anti-pirate measures funny. I personally buy games or music only if I know what they are ( I have played the game/demo, or I know all the songs in the album) and I do it because of charity.. you know - to support the band or company - and only if we are talking about a relatively small company and not extremely popular band - in other words I would never BUY something made by EA, or some album with producer Sony or Warner Bros - this is not helping the band for the next album or the next game - this is simply making someone a billionare. What I mean is that instead of giving money for useless features like this anti-piracy thing, they could have made real improvements on the game, and I and I believe many other people with my attitude would no doubt buy the game to support the making of the next title in the FM series.

PS: And to all these people, who claim that P2P is illegal: There is simply no actual reasonable excuse for making it illegal. If P2P is illegal, then libraries are illegal too - let's ban them!

they are making real improvements in the game, this hasnt taken money or time away from Development, really wish people would use facts when discussing this.

How is intellectual property an oxymoron?

EA makes game with the objective of making a profit. Even if they turn over massive numbers, they rely on the profit incentive. If everyone pirates their stuff, and they don't seem reasonable return on the monetary, time and capital investment in making a game, then why should they bother? Why be innovative if you're not going to be rewarded? Way to only consider the short term, selfish consumerist point of view. :) Imagine if drug companies couldn't have patent laws on their INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. It costs them billions to develop drugs, do you think they'd bother creating new drugs if they were forced to dish them out to everyone?

Not to mention the fact if there were sufficient number of pirates, there would be sufficient revenue losses that would prompt job losses in that sector-would simply outweight the people who got the game legitamitly. It affects everyone. If people don't want to pay so much for a game either a) wait for the price to come down or b) just don't bother at all. (which would be bad though as they would be missing out on what looks like the best FM ever). If people can't afford it at the time why not just save up for it or get someone to buy it for them as an Xmas pressie-or B'day

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

they are making real improvements in the game, this hasnt taken money or time away from Development, really wish people would use facts when discussing this.

This'l be nothing compared to what's going to happen half a day after release. Can see it now in it's full glory-the thread entitled "Match engine is sooooo scripted" lol. Always amusing with this subject and the AI subject when people simply cannot study and accept all the evidence that they can get. Saying that, the amusement soon turns to ****** annoyance

This!!!!. except for the EA part, and others

imo p2p ain't illegal, but most of the content has been (in a way), like dvdrip movies, games (like fm and fifa + countless more) , apps , brought by piracy.

but the true meaning , and proper usage of P2P is legal.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

ffs, looks like most of the people he are supporting ACTA. *sigh*

This would even make borrowing things from your best friend, or your neighbor, or your family members illegal. This is ridiculous!

-Youtube comment

Last edited:
This!!!!. except for the EA part, and others

imo p2p ain't illegal, but most of the content has been (in a way), like dvdrip movies, games (like fm and fifa + countless more) , apps , brought by piracy.

but the true meaning , and proper usage of P2P is legal.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

ffs, looks like most of the people he are supporting ACTA. *sigh*

Strictly speaking, it's already illegal to borrow a CD from a friend etc.

For all you people who are against it.. Just get a dongle which has internet access, simples! *squeek*

To be fair, last year I activated FM11 via steam, and then gave my brother the disk version for christmas and told him to not use it on steam. 2 birds, 1 stone and all that. He rarely plays it too be fair, so it's a bit pointless him having it if I am paying full price.

Seems I will have to buy him a full copy this year. Or maybe something a bit... cheaper lol. The demo perhaps? :P

I still have not been asked by Fm11 to enter my activation key for my Cd installation and have installed it about 3 times since buying it..

I will once again by the hard copy as I dont use Internet at home as it is a waste of money in this country... :)

Well I do use it but not for gaming :) and no, haha, not that either! Well not anymore actually, my Samsung SII has everything I need..

You will still need to use the internet to activate it Raikan, even with a hard copy.

Back