Football Manager 2012 Activation

• Thread starter Thread starter CtPauley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 363
  • Views Views 55K
ok cool :) will just plug it in for activation :) not a train smash but games that require a permanent internet connection are a ball ache!

Strictly speaking, it's already illegal to borrow a CD from a friend etc.
But p2p is not illegal (at least in my country), so it shouldn't be called piracy (because the definition of piracy includes the profit motive - when you actually cell the DVD to your brother for example).

And to the guy asking why intelectual property is oxymoron - because intelectual property is not a real product, it is more like art - you can't sell art like you sell tomatoes on the market. It is freely replicable, so it has nothing to do with the word "property"or "possesion".

And like Dan Bull said - Death of ACTA! - Dan Bull - Death of ACTA - YouTube

Ps: “The first person who, having enclosed a plot of land, took it into his head to say this is mine and found people simple enough to believe him was the true founder of civil society. What crimes, wars, murders, what miseries and horrors would the human race have been spared, had some one pulled up the stakes or filled in the ditch and cried out to his fellow men: "Do not listen to this imposter. You are lost if you forget that the fruits of the earth belong to all and the earth to no one!”

Jean-Jaques Rousseau

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

How is intellectual property an oxymoron?

EA makes game with the objective of making a profit. Even if they turn over massive numbers, they rely on the profit incentive. If everyone pirates their stuff, and they don't seem reasonable return on the monetary, time and capital investment in making a game, then why should they bother? Why be innovative if you're not going to be rewarded? Way to only consider the short term, selfish consumerist point of view. :) Imagine if drug companies couldn't have patent laws on their INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. It costs them billions to develop drugs, do you think they'd bother creating new drugs if they were forced to dish them out to everyone?

Actually many of the greatest thinkers in history have spoken out against patents and patent laws. And yes, if it will help to lower the ridiculously high costs of the medicines, they should compromise on that, but this is another topic.

P2P isn't itself illegal. What is illegal is sharing copyrighted movies, music, software, etc. through file-sharing, even if you're not making money off it. Many Linux distributions and free/open-source software projects are available through torrents, and many musicians share their music for free through various p2p networks.

If you don't own the copyright or have permission to share it, you can't legally share it. Owning a copy of a movie, song, movie, etc. isn't owning the copyright, either. You're merely licensed to own a copy, not given full ownership. Thus it isn't yours to give away.

End of debate.

But p2p is not illegal (at least in my country), so it shouldn't be called piracy (because the definition of piracy includes the profit motive - when you actually cell the DVD to your brother for example).

And to the guy asking why intelectual property is oxymoron - because intelectual property is not a real product, it is more like art - you can't sell art like you sell tomatoes on the market. It is freely replicable, so it has nothing to do with the word "property"or "possesion".

And like Dan Bull said - Death of ACTA! - Dan Bull - Death of ACTA - YouTube

Ps: “The first person who, having enclosed a plot of land, took it into his head to say this is mine and found people simple enough to believe him was the true founder of civil society. What crimes, wars, murders, what miseries and horrors would the human race have been spared, had some one pulled up the stakes or filled in the ditch and cried out to his fellow men: "Do not listen to this imposter. You are lost if you forget that the fruits of the earth belong to all and the earth to no one!”

Jean-Jaques Rousseau

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Actually many of the greatest thinkers in history have spoken out against patents and patent laws. And yes, if it will help to lower the ridiculously high costs of the medicines, they should compromise on that, but this is another topic.

What's the point in lowering the price if NO ONE would be willing to fund it? Ask yourself if you'd pump billions into creating a new drug if you were only going to see a fraction of that returned to you? Would you do it? No, didn't think so. Even if you were someone like Bill Gates and spent all of your cash on philanthropy, the cost is so high you could only create very few medicines compared to what the drug firms will. You grossly underestimate the function of profit in an economy, it's all cool saying "Yeah, we should all share everyone should have everything!!" But the thing is, humans aren't like that. Your line of thinking relies on humans all being completely selfless, but the world isn't like that.

Intellectual property is designed to aid creativity. No, it is not freely replicable. The LHC is a form of intellectual property, I'd sincerely like to see you a) understand it and b) fund it in order to replicate it so freely. IP isn't just art, it's any form discoveries, inventions, music, designs etc. Yes, some is replicated, others isn't. You have such a gross misunderstanding of these terms; piracy isn't based on the profit motive, strictly speaking even borrowing a CD is copyright infringement. FM is SI's source code, it belongs to them, they own it. They offer it for sale, if you take it without paying their market price then you are violating the copyright laws that protect their work. Why is it so confusing because it's digital. SI work all year developing their source code into a functioning game, a farmer works all year on his fields to create a crop ready for harvest. If you support sharing SI's work, then should we not care if a farmer has his whole harvest stolen?

Just because they're a great thinker makes them no more superior in their opinion on certain matters, since political opinions influence their thought. And please link me where they say we should have no patent laws, like you're suggesting. I understand and fully support the argument against over the top copyright, but to get rid of them is stupid, as I've outlined to you. If you want to get rid of copyright laws, you must either want to get rid of laws against stealing a put forth one **** of an argument to differentiate the two.

I bet 99% of people on this forum with a internet access has at one time downloaded something illegally. Be it a film or music and did not give a **** that they are taking money away from someone else. Makes me laugh how most are hypocrites just because it comes down to a pc game that they care about and then act holier than thou about it. I have found that most of those that shout out against piracy are the majority that actually do it.

I bet 99% of people on this forum with a internet access has at one time downloaded something illegally. Be it a film or music and did not give a **** that they are taking money away from someone else. Makes me laugh how most are hypocrites just because it comes down to a pc game that they care about and then act holier than thou about it. I have found that most of those that shout out against piracy are the majority that actually do it.

Bit of a sweeping statement is it not?

For a start, awesome generalisation. Secondly, the PC market is inherently different to that of film and music. The majority of revenue that is made in music is by selling concerts and merchandise, the actual music sales represent a relatively small revenue stream. The film industry sells the cinema experience, and can profit from secondary sales on higher quality DVD's. In fact, it could be argued piracy benefits the music industry since it circulates the music to a much wider audience, increasing the chances of making their real profit in gigs and merchandise. But the game industry, they have no fall back revenue stream. They sell the game and make their profit from the sales, they have no concerts or cinemas to fall back on, if someone copies their game then they have a replica copy for free, and will likely give nothing in the form of money to the company. There's a reason that music companies are changing and adapting to the internet, whereas game companies are just putting up bigger blockades.

For a start, awesome generalisation. Secondly, the PC market is inherently different to that of film and music. The majority of revenue that is made in music is by selling concerts and merchandise, the actual music sales represent a relatively small revenue stream. The film industry sells the cinema experience, and can profit from secondary sales on higher quality DVD's. In fact, it could be argued piracy benefits the music industry since it circulates the music to a much wider audience, increasing the chances of making their real profit in gigs and merchandise. But the game industry, they have no fall back revenue stream. They sell the game and make their profit from the sales, they have no concerts or cinemas to fall back on, if someone copies their game then they have a replica copy for free, and will likely give nothing in the form of money to the company. There's a reason that music companies are changing and adapting to the internet, whereas game companies are just putting up bigger blockades.

Well, it's pretty obvious he's done it himself by the way he's putting it.

At thd end of the day, it doesnt matter. This is how it will be for FM12.

SI and SEGA made their decision, and its completely within their right to implement Steam as a activation method.

As result everyone else is equally entitled to choose whether or not to buy the game. I dont see any problem with all the process.

As long as SEGA state in the box that steam will be needed, and that a internet conection will be needed to activate the game, then everything is fine.

At the end, its a simple decision: You will either buy the game or you will not. If it's because of steam, or because you dont like the new features, or because your PC is a bag of ***** and can't run the game, at the end it's always a simple decision.

thought this would have been closed by now stop all the retarded people complaing and going into stupid arguments!

Like the SI thread need it as an FAQ for when the game comes out
i understand mate its just like you said you will buy it or you wont , if people really like the game that mutch they should not mind how they have to install!

i understand mate its just like you said you will buy it or you wont , if people really like the game that mutch they should not mind how they have to install!

Take a look at the SI threads its got ridiculous

Me, i dont care if people love steam, hate steam or are not fussed. Its irrelevant. I'm not SI so i only care that people on this forum understand what's needed to play the game, and to provide help for anyone who needs it. Any other debate goes round in circles, as it has done on the SI thread

Me, i dont care if people love steam, hate steam or are not fussed. Its irrelevant. I'm not SI so i only care that people on this forum understand what's needed to play the game, and to provide help for anyone who needs it. Any other debate goes round in circles, as it has done on the SI thread
yeah i seen mate its gone crazy!

Pretty much explains why I rarely look at SI threads anymore. It's like you said it is pretty dam ridiculous- one overly massive circle that just repeats the same old garbage over and over and over again. It's just strange that people oversee the many benefits to the negatives (of which tbh there are extremely few as I use it myself). Still, what more can you say to them. Except don't make a big deal out of nothing.

So people won't be able to sell the game on ebay now once they've played it?

So people won't be able to sell the game on ebay now once they've played it?

From what I've been reading (but don't quote me on it incase I'm wrong lol) won't be able to use it second hand, so no won't be able to.

From what I've been reading (but don't quote me on it incase I'm wrong lol) won't be able to use it second hand, so no won't be able to.

Sounds like another reason to use steam activation so people can't buy the game second hand.

I don't get how this is going to affect illegal downloads, though. Surely the only difference is that you install it via Steam? Oh, and if you get the game via Steam, is it generally cheaper than a disked version? But will you be able to play it on multiple computers?

I don't get how this is going to affect illegal downloads, though. Surely the only difference is that you install it via Steam? Oh, and if you get the game via Steam, is it generally cheaper than a disked version? But will you be able to play it on multiple computers?

Whatever games you install to your Steam will be available to your user through the Steam. You can play the games at any computer with Steam if you log onto your user.

Back