Football Manager 2012 : Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 452
  • Views Views 277K
I dont want stevie g and carra as captain and vc. Stevie was total **** in my season and hes 3rd choice behind c.adam and fernando (sold lucas for a much better tackler)

Candidates
- D.Agger
- Pepe Reina
- Dirk Kuyt
- Luis Suarez
- C.Adam

Who for Captain and VC?

Reina Captain and Agger VC. Did the same on my save and it worked great!

both are great~ robinson in particular....loaned him to sunderland during 2nd season~ and he comeback better than enrique~ sold enrique to generate money as i am running to debt due too the monthly basis signing fee~

yeap~ reina is awesome captain...gerrard just keep on getting injured and he's retiring soon~

Well, on my save... Other save, as I have 2 going, Gerrard is 35 and still going strong. No injuries what so ever for the past 2 seasons and keeps impressing.

However on my other save he is pure ****. Keeps getting injured and has a avg. rating of 6.74. So I decided to make Reina captain, Agger VC and replace Carragher with Coates, who is infact a BEAST!

I agree! Carragher has been inconsistent and conceded some **** goals like miss passes etc. Coates is a monster in this game and he and agger = unstoppable. Agger is like the next Sami Hyppia in my game, superb anticipation and tackling. I feel safe when he plays! I usually put Danny Wilson alongside Doates or with Kelly but not with Agger coz both of them are "cover' defenders.

I agree! Carragher has been inconsistent and conceded some **** goals like miss passes etc. Coates is a monster in this game and he and agger = unstoppable. Agger is like the next Sami Hyppia in my game, superb anticipation and tackling. I feel safe when he plays! I usually put Danny Wilson alongside Doates or with Kelly but not with Agger coz both of them are "cover' defenders.

I played Coates & Agger together and it worked great. However, Agger was way to injury prone for me to keep him, so I sold him to AC Milan and decided to replace him with Kyriakos Papadopoulos. My best signing after Cavani and Hazard for sure!

My best signing has to be Raul. I know he's really old but I play him as a DLF and Suarez as Poacher or Treq and they both score for fun! He's great leader n mentor for my young strikers as well. Well worth 2 mil.

Just been given 12.5m at the beginning of Novemeber, haven't made any previous signings, any suggestions?

Moneyball

Im inspired to create a liverpool legacy after watching moneyball. Sort of like arsene wenger's approach with young players developing, with the difference being english players.

Any recommendations for english players under 21/18?
or for senior retiring players that are helpful to tutor? Eventually i'm moving towards a pressing 4-3-3 that plays short, narrow possession football.

Im inspired to create a liverpool legacy after watching moneyball. Sort of like arsene wenger's approach with young players developing, with the difference being english players.

Any recommendations for english players under 21/18?
or for senior retiring players that are helpful to tutor? Eventually i'm moving towards a pressing 4-3-3 that plays short, narrow possession football.

literally all i can say is look at the team liverpool start with! Jonjo and henderson are absolutly sublime, the best way to go about things is to buy the best foreigners you can with the budget allocated and work it using that, im currently on my second save and jonjo henderson adam and gerrard are doing britain proud, henderson i feel is the new gerrard on this game he can fill in at amc amr or rm and be competitive! I play him atm next to lucas as a cm who is a bbm in a 4231 and it works genius!

Just started 2nd season n beat utd in community shield.

Cannot for the life of me get rid of joe cole or aquilani, and considering releasing on a free to save on wages? rekon i should do this?

summer signings were a bunch of about 7 youngsters all with 3.5-4* potential

cavani 26mil

douglas costa 17 mil - for AML cause couldnt get hazard for under 50 mil =O

Suggestion on defense

I'm on my beginning of 3rd season now, got no problems with scoring goals (90 goals 2nd season EPL) but really need advice on def (conceded 41 and 34 in 1st and 2nd season) and how to get Andy to start bagging goals

Finished 4th then 3rd in my 2 previous seasons

My Formation (4-2-2-2)
(Fluid/Attacking/Shorter/More Discipline/Press-more/More Cautious/Easy/Drill Croses/Stick to position)
(Normal next to push up/normal a little narrow/Quick)

GK: Reina (Luis Guilherme) - GK/Def
RB: Kelly (Flanagan/Johnson) - FB/Automatic
RCB: Coates - CB/Def
LCB: Agger (Wilson) - CB/Def
LB: Enrique (Robinson) - FB/Automatic
RCM: Lucas (Spearing) - BWM/Support
LCM: Gerrard (Shelvey) - DLP/Support
RWG: Wilshere (Kuyt/Schelotto) - AP/Support (WG/Support)
LWG: Kagawa (Downing) - IF/Support (Kagawa AP when Kuyt/Schlotto on the right)
RST: Tevez (Caroll) - AF/Attack (TM/Attack)
LST: Suarez (Fierro) - DLP

Also have players on loan : Sterling, Bueno, Montoya, Emre Can, Emmanuel Mendy

Had Flanagan,Robinson and Shelvey a full season on Genk in 2nd season and really, it did improve their stats dramatically

Suarez scores 24 at 1st season, and 21 2nd season EPL only
Andy scores 10 goals 1st season, 1 goals 2nd season, EPL only (Put him on bench most of the 2nd season)
Get Montoya for free from Bancelona, a really promising RB
Get Tevez for 10mil at the end of 1st season, scoring 27 in 2nd season EPL|)
Get Shinji Kagawa for free and join for the 3rd season
Get Wilshere for 13,75 mil (Arsenal offered, so....) (A)
Get Luis Guilherme for 3,1 mil in 3rd season
Sold Skrtel for 10,75 at the end of 2nd season to OM

Downing works well for me, 11 n 13 assists in 1st and nd season

Sorry no screenshot, using my brother's computer now.

Any suggestion to build a solid defense?

Last edited:
Just started my third season now and this is my starting line up!!!
Gk Reina
Rb kelly (flano, johno)
cb coates < BEAST!
cb agger < great teacher
lb enrique or robinson they both pull in 7 ratings every match
cm badelj < absolute genius player
cm lucas < rock
Amcr goetze just bought him in my third season cost me 45 mill but after 8 games 9 assists and 3 goals defo a player to get!
amc hazard < incredible player
amcl gerrard or eriksen both play very well and gerrard has still got it and is my captain!
st cavani or suarez, both seem to average around 20 goals a season hoping for a non injury plagued year so i can see the best

sterlings on loan and so is suso and they both impressing in their current teams, suso is on loan at bolton and sterling at norwich !

the only advise i need for my team is the same as the comment above i leak goals like no tommorow, coates after all the good work he does he sometimes get caught doing a david luiz up the pitch and also i conceded sloppey goals from set pieces iv tried sorting this in match preparation but nout seems to happen!!

I'm coming to the end of the first season. Should hopefully be looking at a top 4 finish. I wondered how easy it is to get rid of the likes of Henderson, Aquliani, Cole etc etc with view to a revamp. Tried in January but no offers. Also providing you can raise cash what players have people bought in the 2nd season and had real success with? Don't say Cavani as my mate bought him for his spurs team and he looks the ****.

I also noticed there isn't a lot of love for Andy Carroll on this thread. I'm finding him quite effective in a targetman attack role. Just tweak the instructions a little to suit him.

I'm coming to the end of the first season. Should hopefully be looking at a top 4 finish. I wondered how easy it is to get rid of the likes of Henderson, Aquliani, Cole etc etc with view to a revamp. Tried in January but no offers. Also providing you can raise cash what players have people bought in the 2nd season and had real success with? Don't say Cavani as my mate bought him for his spurs team and he looks the ****.

I also noticed there isn't a lot of love for Andy Carroll on this thread. I'm finding him quite effective in a targetman attack role. Just tweak the instructions a little to suit him.

dont just look for a top 4 finish
i finished 4th nd was fired

Hey All,

I've just subscribed to this thread.

Thought I'd share my experience so far to see if it's similar to any of yours.

I started my FM12 career with Liverpool and won the league by 3 points, very proud moment.

I didn't buy or sell anyone because I wanted to emulate the current squad and season, plus I only had £2m.

I played 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-5-1 as the game identifies it. I used Suarez upfront on his own and set him as my target man to feet, Gerrard or Adam as playmaker. On AMR I had Kuyt (then Maxi), AML was Downing (then Bellamy), CMs were Gerrard and Adam (then Henderson) and DM was Lucas.

My back four was the same as most, although I would play Coates to build up his stats quicker when on a run of good wins - has anyone seen him improve? I guess I don't give him much game time.

My second season I kept all of my tactics the same, but purchased Sturridge who can play as ST or AML when Downing is fatigued and Kyle Walker because Glen Johnson kept picking up injuries. I won the second season too, and in January the board gave me a cash injection for doing so well, so I bought Shawcross to add experience to my back four when Agger is out. He has since developed into my strongest CB.

I'm into season three now and I've spent massively on players like Abel Hernandez, Di Maria, Hamsik and Sandro. I have more than enough cover for every position and on paper I should be doing better but I'm struggling to hold onto third place in the league. I think the main reason is changing tactics or line-ups to try and be more strategic with the players I now have at my disposal and an attempt to do better in the CL and cups (as I've been poor in those the past two seasons).

However, by not sticking to a tactic and line-up I'm getting very strange results. Struggling to be consistent and keep everyone in the team happy with first team football. It might be time to sell some players on and pick a regular eleven with youths to sit on the bench who won't complain about not starting.

The trouble with that is you always want fresh faces, the transfer windows are my favourite period! I've heard a lot of you buying Cavani, but Abel Hernandez and Suarez connect pretty well given they're both Uraguay.

Half of me wants to stick with Liverpool forever, the other half is tempted to manage in Spain. I think it's crucial to sort your staff out before you do anything else, I have almost 5 stars for every training category.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Dean

Well played on winning the league that must take some doing. Am looking to sign De Maria too but with such dire finances surely you must need to sell loads of players? Some of them are on big boy wages so I'm assuming that they will only move if I pay x amount per week?

Would be very ****** if I got fired for finishing 4th!

Well played on winning the league that must take some doing. Am looking to sign De Maria too but with such dire finances surely you must need to sell loads of players? Some of them are on big boy wages so I'm assuming that they will only move if I pay x amount per week?

Would be very ****** if I got fired for finishing 4th!

That's what I think is weird. Some get fired, some don't. I finished 4th 2 seasons in a row, and am now in my 6th season.

Di Maria is worth the wages though. He is brilliant!

dont just look for a top 4 finish
i finished 4th nd was fired

I finished 4th and didn't get fired.
If I'm honest, this is pretty strange. Normally, it is fairly constant and consistent, but I have to admit this is an improvement to previous versions, as it makes it more realistic due to the unexpectedness.

I personally would think that it is because of what your start of season expectations are, and whether you have got on the right side of the board (and exceeded expectations in other areas). For example, if one of you won the FA Cup and the other didn't (but you both finished in 4th place), it is clear who will be the one who is more likely to stay and who is not.

It does depend on your game save, though, and many other factors. I'm just interested in whether they have improved this side of the game in the latest version, because it was fairly unrealistic in past times. I would look for a 4th place finish, though, it is good enough for a side like Liverpool (no offence meant) and since the league's getting harder and harder, it is a pretty good achievement!

Back