Football Manager 2012 : Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Danny
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 452
  • Views Views 277K
If I'm honest, this is pretty strange. Normally, it is fairly constant and consistent, but I have to admit this is an improvement to previous versions, as it makes it more realistic due to the unexpectedness.

I personally would think that it is because of what your start of season expectations are, and whether you have got on the right side of the board (and exceeded expectations in other areas). For example, if one of you won the FA Cup and the other didn't (but you both finished in 4th place), it is clear who will be the one who is more likely to stay and who is not.

It does depend on your game save, though, and many other factors. I'm just interested in whether they have improved this side of the game in the latest version, because it was fairly unrealistic in past times. I would look for a 4th place finish, though, it is good enough for a side like Liverpool (no offence meant) and since the league's getting harder and harder, it is a pretty good achievement!

I won **** all for 2 seasons. BUT, what I think made me keep my job was being 1st-2nd most of the season until I hit 8 injuries in my last 4 games (which I lost 3 of) and finished 4th.

Happy to provide with a League table screenshot.

And yes, we aren't exactly a title winning team, which is a mistake in FM12 that the only things you can select is "Winner" or "Title Challenge" as we don't have a good enough squad for either. Coming from a Liverpool fan.

Hey All,

I've just subscribed to this thread.

Thought I'd share my experience so far to see if it's similar to any of yours.

I started my FM12 career with Liverpool and won the league by 3 points, very proud moment.

I didn't buy or sell anyone because I wanted to emulate the current squad and season, plus I only had £2m.

I played 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-5-1 as the game identifies it. I used Suarez upfront on his own and set him as my target man to feet, Gerrard or Adam as playmaker. On AMR I had Kuyt (then Maxi), AML was Downing (then Bellamy), CMs were Gerrard and Adam (then Henderson) and DM was Lucas.

My back four was the same as most, although I would play Coates to build up his stats quicker when on a run of good wins - has anyone seen him improve? I guess I don't give him much game time.

My second season I kept all of my tactics the same, but purchased Sturridge who can play as ST or AML when Downing is fatigued and Kyle Walker because Glen Johnson kept picking up injuries. I won the second season too, and in January the board gave me a cash injection for doing so well, so I bought Shawcross to add experience to my back four when Agger is out. He has since developed into my strongest CB.

I'm into season three now and I've spent massively on players like Abel Hernandez, Di Maria, Hamsik and Sandro. I have more than enough cover for every position and on paper I should be doing better but I'm struggling to hold onto third place in the league. I think the main reason is changing tactics or line-ups to try and be more strategic with the players I now have at my disposal and an attempt to do better in the CL and cups (as I've been poor in those the past two seasons).

However, by not sticking to a tactic and line-up I'm getting very strange results. Struggling to be consistent and keep everyone in the team happy with first team football. It might be time to sell some players on and pick a regular eleven with youths to sit on the bench who won't complain about not starting.

The trouble with that is you always want fresh faces, the transfer windows are my favourite period! I've heard a lot of you buying Cavani, but Abel Hernandez and Suarez connect pretty well given they're both Uraguay.

Half of me wants to stick with Liverpool forever, the other half is tempted to manage in Spain. I think it's crucial to sort your staff out before you do anything else, I have almost 5 stars for every training category.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Dean

I like it mate sounds like you've been on a **** of a journey im in my 4th season now half way throught and cavani is definatly the best striker he has scored 34 goals in 25 games in the prem alone! another one of my best buys was gotze! Omg i cannot explain the things this man can do! You can play him anywhere around the attacking centre of the park and he just creates so many chances! i recently won against bolton in the league 10-0 which in all my football manager history is my biggest ever win in the prem!! i am 12 points clear tho now in my 4th season and i am the same as you, my heart is telling me to go to spain and achieve something there or to stay at liverpool,

which also leads me onto my question for everyone as i have never been able to do it in any other fm. if i leave liverpool for say real madrid or athletico madrid would i be able to in say 5 seasons time be able to go back??? let me no as its an option i really really am thinking about doing although i do love liverpool and building the best youth system!

Mike

First time post, looking for some ideas here. Currently in the 2013/2014 season and I'm looking for the best way to arrange the side, here's how I set up.

Reina
Vrsjalo - Papadapouls - Shawcross - A. Cissokho
Gerrard - J.Martinez
Suarez - Ericksen - Schurrle
Cavani

Bench:
Griezmann
Henderson
Niang
Carragher
Coates
ter Stegen

Reserves:
Fierro
Kovacic
Sanogo
Bueno
Sterling
Polenta
Adam
Aquilani
J. Robinson
J. Cole

I've been using Raikan's Pure Perfection tactic due to the AM role that I have a lot of players that can fill. I've been using Schurrle out on the left and Suarez on the right with Cavani up top. My main problem is I'm short cover for my two CM's with just Martinez, Henderson, Aquilani and J. Cole as Gerrard is almost always hurt and should retire.

First year I didn't do many changes but won the League and FA cup but just got a Europa spot. Second year I didn't win any cups but won the league and now I'm in the CL. I'm doing fine in the CL but my league standings are somewhat poor, 12 games in and 10 points behind ManU already. I know I need to go and adjust all my PI's now that my team has changed so much but I'm getting player complaints from Torres and Kovacic and I know I'm going to need to move some strikers soon with how crowded it already is.

Any thoughts on changing to a two striker system without an AM or on who I should move out?

Some of you guys who are several seasons in have some real quality in your squads...

I've just finished the first season, scraped 4th, hopefully I'll avoid the sack. Liverpools finances are a shambles, I think I'm something like 15 mil in the red. How are you guys affording to sign top players. Does the club take out another loan or something?

Some of you guys who are several seasons in have some real quality in your squads...

I've just finished the first season, scraped 4th, hopefully I'll avoid the sack. Liverpools finances are a shambles, I think I'm something like 15 mil in the red. How are you guys affording to sign top players. Does the club take out another loan or something?

Not sure... However, I got around £20m from the board for transfers.

Did you have to ask for that? At the moment I just can't see how the money gets generated as it's harder to shift the 'deadwood' than I thought.

Doesn't help that I'm playing with 2 guys who are Spurs and Arsenal and they're both loaded. Talk about short straw!

Nope. They gave it to me when you usually get the transfer money. My finances was in ruins aswell. So, I'm pretty sure you'll get some money to spend.

The money generally comes from sponsorship deals. I received 75m from sponsors in third season (won the prem, quarters in CL in 2nd), and that paid for a healthy budget.

Hi, I just started a save with Liverpool and here's my squad for the 1st season

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any sugestions of selling/buying player would be nice (just for the record, I would have to sell someone to have money to buy)

Give coates, robinson, sterling and shelvey as many games as possible (they all have lots of potential). Also Henderson turns out decent too, so use him until Gerrard comes back and then as cover for S.G. I didn't sign anybody in the first window, but after being given £15m in November I bought Doumbia to bang in the goals

Just started my Liverpool game.

I've bought Milan Badelj £4m, David Goodwillie £4m, Stephen Kelly £1.1m, Anthony Vanden Borre £325k, and I've got Daniele Bonera on loan as cover.

Only had 2 games so far, beat Norwich 2-1 away and Swansea 4-0 at home, not the toughest competition so far but you can only beat what's put in front of you.

I won **** all for 2 seasons. BUT, what I think made me keep my job was being 1st-2nd most of the season until I hit 8 injuries in my last 4 games (which I lost 3 of) and finished 4th.

Happy to provide with a League table screenshot.

And yes, we aren't exactly a title winning team, which is a mistake in FM12 that the only things you can select is "Winner" or "Title Challenge" as we don't have a good enough squad for either. Coming from a Liverpool fan.
Fair play if you are going out as a Liverpool supporter and saying that their squad is not good enough for 'Winner' or 'Title Challenge' (I agree, by the way) but if you utilize their team well enough (especially Luis Suarez and Steven Gerrard), then you should be able to achieve what the board wants.

Despite that, I do agree with you about the game being flawed due to the unrealism of Liverpool winning the Premier League with the current squad (it is fairly old, don't forget) although if they add a few more quality players to the squad then maybe they will be able to win the league. Who knows?

Give coates, robinson, sterling and shelvey as many games as possible (they all have lots of potential). Also Henderson turns out decent too, so use him until Gerrard comes back and then as cover for S.G. I didn't sign anybody in the first window, but after being given £15m in November I bought Doumbia to bang in the goals

Thanks. Shelvey is on loan at Blackpool. I'd like to sign a back up for Lucas, I don't think Spearing is good enough for that. But I'll wait and see if they give me money for the january window.

Little tip:

Look at your finances and try to reduce your expenditure, the largest outgoings tends to be player wages. If you sort your squad by wages you'll be surprised at how much you're paying players who you don't really want/need.

I sold Aquilani and also let Joe Cole go for free. It cost me approx. £3m in compensation, but the board later rewarded me for my successful management of finances and gave me a handsome £20m for transfers. I then adjusted my budget and asked for more money for player wages and they accepted. I have about £40m now, having sold the likes of Maxi, Carroll, Skrtl, Kelly and others (only when I have better options, of course).

You can get Kagawa on a free transfer during the second season, do this. He brings additional shirt sales as he's Japanese. He gets home sick straight away, but if you let him go home for a month. He comes back happy, settled and wanting first team football. Ask the board for feeder clubs too and try to establish yourself in other countries, this helps drive additional revenue.

Thanks. Shelvey is on loan at Blackpool. I'd like to sign a back up for Lucas, I don't think Spearing is good enough for that. But I'll wait and see if they give me money for the january window.
Sandro (from Spurs) was a quick win for me. He wasn't expensive (approx. £7m) and is better than Lucas. You can actually play Lucas CM and Sandro DM. Lots of flexibility for injuries and so on.

Sandro (from Spurs) was a quick win for me. He wasn't expensive (approx. £7m) and is better than Lucas. You can actually play Lucas CM and Sandro DM. Lots of flexibility for injuries and so on.

Thanks.

Am I the only one who finds Glen Johnson awful as right back? He was bad in FM 11 and still is on FM 12. Martin Kelly miles better than Glen on the position.

Who deserves the number 9?

Doumbia, Park Chu-Young or Luis Suarez?

I never managed Doumbia or Park Chu-Young, so can't tell about then. Anyway, I don't think Suárez should gewt the 9, he's really a 7. :)

Back