Football Manager 2012 : Liverpool Thread

???

If anyone wants a DREAM partnership up front for Liverpool in the first season - pair Suarez with Seydou Doumbia from CSKA.

They're absolutely tearing it up for me so far, early on in the season.

Set Suarez to Trequartista (Attack) and Doumbia to Poacher (Attack) and watch the magic unfold.

View attachment 201960

With such a low transfer budget in the beginning how did you manage to afford to buy your signings?

With such a low transfer budget in the beginning how did you manage to afford to buy your signings?

best way is to sell the deadwood already there or wait till around november and the board will give you £15million, best way to buy people is to offer low money such as £2 mill then wat ever you like as the rest spread over 48 months

Play Suarez as a Poacher and Carroll as a complete forward
Gerrard plays as a central attacking midfielder in the trequartista role right behind the strikers
Downing and Kuyt playing as vingers (downing cut inside and kuyt moving into room)
Lucas playing as deep playmaker

Enrique playing as a back but in a more attacking role, Agger and Carragher in the centre.(Agger can go forward.He is excellent in front of the goal at corners.Carragher plays as a stopper with limited functions. I play Kelly at the right back.Because Johnson are to weak when the team are defending.

When you play this formation an make sure you are passing the ball i am sure no one will stop you.

The most important thing will be how you setup the

Just won the Champions League in my second season. Knocking barcelona out in the semi including a 2-0 win at the nou camp.

View attachment 202156 Only finished 5th in the league though after coming second last year but should keep my job hopefully :)

Iv just started my second season after finishing second and holding onto my job, i dont no wether to sell suarez or carroll, both got around 15 goals in my last season and dirk kuyt got over 20. The board have given me £35 million, any suggestions on some decent strikers who have a decent composure ??

Vagner Love, 72 goals in two seasons for my Liverpool side. Awesome, just awesome.

Henderson has 12 goals and 19 assists for me and I'm only at Feb 1st.... Beasting.

Downing with 6 goals and 16 assists, and Coates has scored 9 goals! he's a beast off corners.

Carroll has 14 goals in 28 appearances so far, he's linking up well with Suarez who has 24 goals in 34 appearances with 18 assists.

So nobody gets the best out of Carroll? :S

Carroll has played decently well for me when given the opportunity, spurns a few too many chances for my liking but he's a good option to have and is developing well. Play him as a Target Man (Attack) with Suarez as Trequartista (Attack) and they should form a good partnership.

View attachment 202504

End of 1st season. Suarez, Doumbia, Henderson, Downing and Coates all had amazing seasons.

Won the league and the FA Cup.

Doumbia missed out on golden boot in the PL by one goal to Adebayor who won with 34, which I put down to the fact that Doumbia went to the African Cup of Nations in January with Ivory Coast but Adebayor's Togo didn't qualify.

Just started a game with LFC. I got Doumbia for around £15M and am going to test the following line-up:

Reina: GK
Johnson: WBR, support
Enrique: FB, attack
Agger: BPD, stopper
Carra: CD, covering
Lucas: DMC, defend
Gerrard: CM, support
Downing: AML, adv. playmaker, attack
Kuyt: AMR, winger, attack
Suarez: SC, Trequarista, attack
Doumbia: SC, Poacher, attack

Tactic settings: Fluid, control

So far the upsides are:
Doumbia/Suarez
Creating chances

Downsides are:
Ball Possessions
Defensive line getting overrun (might be because of a high closing down on my WB/FB?)
Andy Carroll

I am looking to add a decent backup for Johnson and Lucas, otherwise the squad seems fine for the first season.
My first thoughts are Vrsaljko and Mahamadou Diarra. Any ideas? I paid for Doumbia through 48 months but am not sure the board will back me once again for another big signing...

Still working on fine-tuning the tactics... I will post results and Prnt Scrns later.

Btw, don't know why I can't dominate in possessions throughout the game. Any ideas? I am playing short passing up front, and direct passing from defence through midfield...

hi do u guys arrange frenly matches in your first season when theres no cup matches ?
will it help w development of the youngters if i do tat? played 1 season w liverpool n won by 1 pt, but discovered my players development is stalled due 2 lack of match practice.
i am restarting a new liverpool season again, but suarez,agger,lucas suffered 3-5 months injuries during preseason :(

Seems to be alot of different games going on but with the same team, such a good game FM.

Started my season with Liverpool last night. Four games in (3 Prem, 1 League Cup), 4 Wins. Results as follows. I like having a big squad and swapping my players around. Keeps it fresh.

(P) Blackburn 1-2 Liverpool- (Bellamy, Kuyt)
(P) Liverpool 2-1 Fulham- (Kuyt, Bellamy)
(LC) Tranmere 1-6 Liverpool- (Morgan (2), Suso (2), Maxi, Kuyt)
(P) Everton 0-1 Liverpool- (Kuyt)

This is my usual starting line up for the prem.

GK: Reina
RB: Johnson
CB: Carragher/Coates
CB: Agger
LB: Enrique

DMC: Lucas (Defend)
CM: Adam (Support)

RW: Downing (Winger, Attack)
LW: Bellamy (Winger, Attack)

STC: Saurez (Treq, Attack)
STC: Carroll (Target man, Attack)

Kuyt usually comes on as a sub for me and has scored in every game so far. Suarez just isnt doing it for me, and isnt happy with my team talks? Just seems to generally hate me to be honest. Carroll hasnt scored yet either, Tips on how to use this pair? I love Bellamy as a player and seems to be doing extremely well.

As for the League Cup, i love getting the youngsters involved as i follow the U18's in reality and theres some huge talent.

CB: Coates
CB: Kelly

DMC: Coady (Defend)

RW: Raheem Sterling (Winger, Attack)
AMC: Suso (Support)
LW: Maxi Rodriguez (Winger, Attack)- Transfer Listed, but hasnt sold yet.

STC: Morgan (Treq, Attack)
STC: Kuyt (Target man, Attack)

This all seems to be working well, obviously Tranmere arent the biggest of opponents but its a good oppurtunity. Exeter next so they will get another run out. Morgan, Suso, Sterling and Coady are all being Tutored by senior players (Kuyt, Adam, Downing, Lucas).

Any help to get Saurez and Carroll firing would be a massive help. Also just had a offer for Kevin de Bruyne for 625k accepted. Good price for those stats! Gerrad back soon aswell.

Last edited:
Those of you who've got Carroll firing, how are you targeting him as Target Man? By head? Are you supplying him with floating crosses from your wingers? It seems like you have to focus mainly on him getting the correct supply from your wingers to make him play decent. I have tried playing him as a Target Man with attacking role and no specific supply from wingers, but it didn't seem to work...

A tale of such woe, as to eclipse that of Juliet and her Romeo...

Pardon the dramatics, but it is EXACTLY where I am right now. After CRASHING and BURNING at the end of last season, 31 games without a loss, only to lose to Tottenham, Swansea and Norwich, thus effectively falling from an unchallenged 1st to 3rd.
Highlights of the season being the signing of Hazard(0 up front, 22.5 mill over 4 years) , who was AMAZING! Suarez's 31 assists and 19 goals and Carroll's 23 goals in 16 games (TM - Support! hold up ball, run with ball, run from deep, through balls sometimes long shots, cross ball never, short passing, make him TM ball to mixed! set floating crossing and ask all of your players to cross the ball to him, normal movement and no roaming! no creative freedom either!)

Then came my second season, initially bolstered by my signings:
Cavani (26.5 over 4 years), Angel Di Maria transfer listed by request (12.5 mill), Muniesa on a Free, and Itumeleng Khune (1.5 mill)
Further helped by the relief of some fairly heavy salaries, 6 players all on 50 grand or more, al except for Cole, who can NOT be sold,given away or loaned out, no mutual termination either.
Anywho, first results were Beat Arsenal 5-1 at the Emirates, beat Swansea 3-0 at Anfield, beat United 5-0 at Trafford, beat Tottenham 1-0 in London and beat Cit 3-1 at Qatar stadium.
All good so far, but then the international friendlies and this happened:
Gerrard - broken leg
Cavani - shoulder(8 months)
Suarez - ankle (3 months)
Hazard - shoulder (8 months)
Reina - 6 months
Johnson and Agger 5 months
Enrique 3 months
Carroll 9 months

SIGH!!!

From day one of getting the job, I knew exactly what, or should I say who I wanted. Edinson Cavani. Obviously with only £2m to start with, I had to sell to buy, within about a week or so of taking over, I managed to sell Brad Jones, Maxi Rodriguez and Martin Skrtel, in the process bringing in £10.5m and wiping about £100k p/w off of the wage budget. This enabled me to bring in Cavani. £2m upfront and £24m over 48 months. So my starting eleven, when fully fit is:

CB: Carragher
CB: Agger

MCL: Adam
MCR: Lucas

AMR: Downing
AMC: Gerrard
AML: Suarez

ST: Cavani

Subs: Doni, Kelly, Wilson, Henderson, Shelvey, Bellamy, Carroll

I am using a 4-2-3-1 formation with 2 CM's and hopefully it all comes into place nicely, a few injury problems at the moment however with Gerrard, Carra and Shelvey out. First league game of the season coming up now. At Anfield... Against United...

nice. is cavani worth the price?