Football Manager 2014 - New Features / Changes you would like to see

I also think the match engine is too predictable, it's got to the point where i know if i'm going to score or not by the way the players are passing the ball.

I hope the team talks are tweaked in the new game. For me in '13' some team talks were far too overpowered. It is getting to a point in a tight game and the scores are level that I want to go 1-0 down so I can aggressively have a go at them at half-time. Nearly every time I come back and get something out of the game. This happens with the AI against me as well.

Also, when in a derby game or Final I wish the Passionate team talks are more effective than they currently are. ATM in big games you can really get them hyped up for the game (or 2nd half) in a Hollywood Sports Movie type way and the players couldn't give a toss. I want the players (in the right situations) to be pumped up and absolutely flying when they get out on the pitch. Take Chelsea at the weekend, Jose obviously said summin before the game and the players were tearing about the pitch and you should be able to see this reaction in FM14. This could maybe be a new 'dramatic' feature in special games such as a manager's final ever game in charge, a huge derby game etc where rare teamtalks could be implemented.

Thought of a few others now...
1. Better use of in-game sound. I currently dont use the sound (does it only contain crowd noises?). I would like in game voices. E.G When in press conferences you can actually here the people asking questions. Maybe you could hear a variety of shouts etc. in the changing rooms for players responding to your teamtalks.
2. Continuing from last point- Many people, including myself want improvements made to when you win a trophy but I realise that it would take a lot up regarding game speed if they implemented cut-scenes but maybe you could just be sat in the post match teamtalk page once you've won a trophy and you can here the players cheering etc. ATM sound, IMO, is pretty pointless.
3. Be able to announce your retirement/resignation months before you actually do so, and if your a club ledgend be able to choose who your replacement should be.
4. Testimonials- Someone before me said that you could choose who plays and bring players out of retirement- GREAT IDEA!
5. Spending your wages on language lessons/coaching badges etc. Agree with most things other users are saying.

FM Editor :
should include an option for a player to want to leave the club he's at.

FM 14.
1.Relegated players should be available at knocked down prices, like irl.

2.Players from top clubs should be willing to join a lower team if they don't get regular football at their current club.

3.Fix the ridiculous value for players from South America and Ukraine.

4.Be able to pick what options you want from your new feeder club, the 'may send youth players to train' seems pointless, imo.

5.Better friendships with managers, the 'feels the two of you could become friends' never changes.

6.'Swaps Position' should be available for three people in the tactic, like how Hazard, Oscar and Mata played last season.

7.Detailed board meeting every 3 months or so to discuss how the seasons going and what they want you to improve.

8.In-depth analysis of the youth team from the U18's manager at the middle and end of the season.

9.New interaction with squad players in which you can set them season objectives like minimum amount of goals or average rating.

FM 13 is one of the best I've played, hope it continues to better itself!

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a cut scene sequence when winning cups/achieving promotion etc
An option to create and share sound packs adds so much to the game experience
A few more stadium types and crowd animations
The relationships with other managers didnt for me seem to have any affect at all
Most importantly the match engine has to emulate real life football as accurately as possible
Goal line technology? Its never been an issue in FM but could be fun

the one thing I am hoping to change is the press feel like I have been answering the same questions over and over for a few years now. i'd like the press dynamic to have more of an effect in game too like the ability to create a mourinho siege mentality but I think that may be too difficult to implement in game it would be hard to not have it overpowered or would it I don't know

I'd like alot more interaction around each transfer - To be able to expand upon the bar of 'interest in transfer' and 'interest in loan'.
It would be nice to see the reasons behind players being offered a hypothetical move to your club, maybe due to lack of opportunities at their current club, or wanting to move for European competition, or most influential to this first season this year, will be to try and guarantee World Cup places for their nations. Would just be an a bonus to see the players pros and cons to joining up, much like Dempsey's move to Liverpool that didnt happen as he wanted and Spurs ended up going for him - show something along the lines of his motivation behind the transfer around it all

Also, talking of World Cup, more emphasis needs to put on the international tournaments themselves such as being invited along to a BBC interview, or pundit in the studio to talk about the matches etc. Just happens with every FM game i have played - The final of the World Cup comes and goes and it's not talked about, or written about. Half the time its not even made clear who won

These things i'd like to see

I've not read every single page but some great ideas and some... not so good in my opinion - upto you whether you think this would be a good idea or not.

A couple times as a bit of fun I've loaded up obscure nations like the Qatar leagues thanks to a database editor and on a number of occasions players remain in the nation to qualify to for the country, even as a club manager it would be good if you could request a player take on the nationality to help with non-home nation quotas or if you're an International Manager you could request that you'd like to consider them taking on citizenship so they could play for their adopted nation - obviously some do this automatically but others come up with 'sees no benefit', when there is a benefit if they're a Brazilian who is counted as foreign so can only take up possibly one of four foreign player spots or when they clearly don't have a chance to play for their home nation.

I know this kind of thing happens in real life with regards to International Managers requesting this kind of thing; it's rare but does happen and would be a nice addition.

Seen some really good ideas on here this time round.

IMO opinion the things I'd like to be changed are the things that annoy me lol

1. Better interaction between managers - feels the two of you could be friends is rubbish. Become FRIENDS and build relationships over transfers.

2. My manager screen where it says best opinion / worst opinion - why does my hero Alan Shearer hate me when I've never had any interaction with him on FM or IRL?

3. As alluded to by many people, make the Cup Finals worth the effort, it's all good and well throwing confetti over the opposing team at the end of it but make the news feed look like I've won a trophy and make the International tournaments more glamorous - more stories, rifts in squads, players injured etc

4. I'm really glad they have introduced the Steam Cloud save option :)

5. Stop making my Assistant come to me and say a player wants a private chat about a promise you made of more first team football - well mate, I'd have probably give you a few more chances but I didn't want to risk you breaking your other leg as well. I apologise you've been wheel chair bound for 5 months but there's not much we can do about that!

6. If my strike force consists of Niang / an uber regen / Falcao and have 60 odd goals between them after 30 games - I very much doubt I'm interested in signing an ageing and under-performing Fernando Torres!!

7. I'd like to be able to tell the board I intend to leave at the end of the season as I have had an approach from Real Madrid or Barcelona to give them time to find a replacement or make me an offer of a bigger salary or transfer fund to use next season or even the promise of a marquee signing. I hate being offered a job mid-way through a season and not having the option to negotiate waiting a few months. That and being poached by bigger clubs would be ideal.

8. Make the players have the ability to have their heads turned by media stories - Luis Suarez is set on joining Real Madrid and is awaiting them to bid for him (make it have an effect on the squad/players performance)

9. A massive point for me - don't make clubs buy the same players every ****** game!! If I'm not Newcastle they always sign Chris Baird straight off!! At least have a few players linked so that history doesn't repeat itself every game. I'm sure people have noticed this on many new saves.

10. The ability to interact with international managers like - 'keep an eye on this player' or 'please refrain from selecting so and so for this friendly, he has just come back from 9 months on the sidelines and the season starts in 4 days' I'm not saying the International manager has to agree every time as that would be unrealistic but to have that option would be nice.

11. Sooooo, what are your thoughts on Jose Mourinho? Never heard of him. Bo****ks!!!!! Maybe for LLM that you genuinely don't know but not for Mourinho, Wenger etc

Other than that I still love the game and I'm sure some of the points above could be easily rectified, they are my major gripes though. I'm sure I'll think of more after I've posted this lol

i would like to see more 5 star potential players in the game but to make it harder to reach that potential. when ive signed a wonderkid i can leave him in the youth system and the reserves for years barely playing any competitive football and he will still turn out to be a world class player in the future

Bit of a long one here.

Greater flexibility with the feeder teams and parent clubs. A wider variety of options. Would more than likely be better for the bigger clubs getting more specificity out of there options. As normally if you chose the team you would like to set up as a parent/ feeder club then you just get a no.

For example- The option to increase fan base in a different country.

You pick the country you would like to expand in to for example the USA and then the will talk to those teams and draw up a list and you pick the best option. Money wise cost and expected income from it, First choice to sign players, Loan players to them if possible.

Find a feeder team- League/ Country you would like them to be in. Ie European competitions, Championship, Belgium. Then they come back with the options again about the cost, facilities are like etc.

Side note to this to change affiliated clubs. For example Derby County and Burton are like 10 miles apart and in the options have play a friendly each year. But Derby regularly loan players to Burton. So you could propose a change to the board asking can you change Burton to become a Feeder team for derby?

Also to improve the scouting network- By choosing the country you would like to expand into ie Argentina, USA and then get the cost/ options. Would like to see the inclusion of Football Academies but do not think it will happen in my opinion.

An option if you have a great personal relationship with a Manager or ex player who has turned a coach. Speaking directly to them and proposing the option. Ie if Ferdinand retires and then goes on to manage Accrington Stanley then speaks with Moyes about loaning a few players and using his contacts to boost his team or vice versa.

Greater variety of contract bonuses. Clean sheet bonus for defenders, Appearance fees as a substitute, Assist bonus, Man of the match award bonus. Most clean sheet bonuses over the season, Most assists over the season.
Linking into the one above when signing foreign players a contractual agreement where they are told to take Lessons of the countries main language. IE if French and signing for Newcastle then they have to take part in the lessons to learn english to help with team integration.

A way in which you as the manager in your contract negotiations can select options for the board to commit to investing in youth recruitment network, facilities, greater transfer budget. Then the board coming back to negotiate you by saying we will increase the youth recruitment network putting in 1 million pounds into it over the next 3 years. If you always achieve a mid table finish. Or that if you want this the transfer budgets will be dropped by 10% percent from 10 million to 9 million to fund it for the next 3 years for example.

Also a greater selection of how you want to improve the facilities, improve corporate facilities greater income from it higher quality of client that would use them. Stands general seating fans happy. Training facilities pitches, gym, rehabilitation players more happy and greater reputation players are willing to come. I know this is already involved but sort of a greater selection of how you want to improve the facilities by choosing options.

A way in which you could customize your scout reports and what information you would like it show instead of just the normal set up. Goals and assists, Percentages of important stats for their position. If a striker shots taken- then shots on target, shots missing, shots scored from, shots created chances from. Maybe a couple of clips of them as a player? Who their agent is and if you can use your contacts to find out about their well being if they are happy at their current club looking for a move, how good they will become.

Also when you offer a player to another club. And say not interested as the price is to high. It should come up with what price they would consider. Same with loans aswell

The ability to ask your scouts/assistant/DoF/etc to suggest a few players per position to buy.l

Just to add some flavor to the game especially for those of us that play long saves, Dynamic rivalries. If you brought a small club up through the ranks and now are beating the big boys, some spice to some of the games would be nice. How about Derby's being created and possibly even Cups. The manager would not have any actual control of these things. Maybe coming up with a name if you wanted. For example, I have been playing Dag & Red in my save. What if a fierce rival developed with West Ham? Make these matchups a bigger game then they are now.

Coaching- how about choosing a focus on attributes when sending them on coaching courses? Also, a little more explanation on how to make a coach have 5 stars?

I don't think there's a way to do this now, but if there is please let me know: you should be able to compare each of your own players with themselves at earlier times (similar to comparisons between different players, with the possibility of a graphical comparison). Since the game keeps track of training progress, I would suspect this isn't too hard to implement. And I'd personally find it very useful. Maybe make them yearly or quarter-yearly comparisons or something.

Don't make the goal woodwork, I assume in FM13, made out of 4'x6' sheets of plywood. The amount of woodwork struck in FM13 is unreal. I assume to compensate for something in the ME. Shoot(hit the goal post), rebound and shoot(hit the goal post in the exact same spot), rebound and shoot by different player(save by goalkeeper):p. I think the goal is the size of an ice hockey goal at times. Also fix scheduling. End of the season I am faced with 6 matches in 14 days with 3 being in the last 5. All of them away or at neutral sites. There has to be some common sense involved here.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm interested in is the match engine and new tactial options. Everything else is unimportant to me. I'd like to see less overdeveloped regens but don't think its gonna happen. Also it would be great to see that new FM is simply far better than previous one, because for few years now I've benn byuing something like a huge patch which I also have to test, find bugs, post about them somewhere on the net (SI forum preferred) and wait till, lets say completed version is released.