Football Manager 2014 - New Features / Changes you would like to see

Some some sort farewelll to the club legends when they retire.I dont want a ****** news that only that he has decided to retire .The club should celebrate the club legends farewell match properly.

Man city the league favourites after every season even after they were 15 th last season does not make sense.

Developing the youth academy gameplay a little more.I want the kids who arrive as youth intakes to have learned some ppm by the time they reach their.Barca style academy where even kids can pass like men.

I have won the league 3 years running, breaking the record points each year and i'm still not favourites yet City are.
I Like the last point :)

Godefrey would like to see various things.

1) Tactically, as well as having a base formation we should have the option to have a defensive and offensive formation. i.e. how we would like our team to appear when in possession of the ball in different areas of the field. (3rds of the pitch?)
2) Pressing needs to be adjusted, currently players stand off or press the same player with 2 or 3 men leaving gaps in the defence. Separate instructions as to who to press and what other players should do in terms of cover e.g. if my left winger presses hard on the opposing right back, perhaps an instruction to my central midfielders or striker to cover (or attempt to) the passing option to the centre back. In the mould of a Bielsa/Sampaoli system.
3) A kit update every few years, with graphics??
4) the chance to instill a philosophy at a club from the academy up to the first team, such as at la masia. Identify core values such as formation, possession, pressing, certain physical attributes etc and translate this over to the team in meetings with players coaches etc.
5) Better options to portray a character on the game through media and player interaction. Probably by diversifying the responses to media questions etc.
6) complete over-hall of training, too generic currently.
7) more complex contract negotiations. IRL no major transfer happens as smoothly as a negotiation with a player/agent in one day with back and forth offers in 1 minute. Usually days or weeks of negotiations. (more terms of contract?)
8)fan days where the fans ask questions of you once or twice a year
9)option to view video highlights of scouted players over a series of matches.
10)stop every team playing the same way. When the AI adjusts to the formation you play they tend to all respond to it in the same way whether its barca or the Pulis XI, e.g. barca always hit possession tactics on the counter attack after sitting 10/11 in the 6 yard box. Scoring with crosses or set pieces.

I would like that there is some perfection-bar. Ofcourse you know if you have a good season/match, but it's so relative and it'd be nice to know you can improve your squad. Like this perfection bar would be based on how you train your players, talk to them and your tactics.

Besides that this would be great for experienced managers it's also great for new players, so they know what they have to improve and will learn the game faster.

transfer drama.. probably mentioned.

though this is hard to do, its hard to program such events like this... drama like, Ronaldo wants new challenge after he won everything at england and life long dream to play for RM, fall out between players forcing someone to be ship off...

Those kinds, but not as frantic like Fifa games

A search function for transfer costs? The cost of an expected transfer including if you can sign them for compensation, release clause or their expected transfer fee. But could only appear after say they have being scouted? Or you have knowledge of them? To stop people abusing it?!

Also to keep the development of youth going strong and make it more worthwhile. Putting in a clause in your manager contract that says you want a commitment from them to fund the development of the youth facilities/ youth recruitment at the sacrifice of transfer funds and a wage bill. Think this would be really beneficial for people wanting to develop their own players. In short more indepth convos with the board and more options to talk to them.

More options for player contracts aswell. And to fix players asking for stupid amounts of money when they are like 16 and signing their first professional deal with a mid table premier league club and wanted 30k per week.

Thoughts?

After doing well with a conference n/s/prem team being offered to manage a championship/premiership u18 or reserve team?

For example Welling to Charlton reserves

More income from Marketing, especially through affiliations with clubs based in Asia and the US.

Don't know if this has been suggested yet but... What if it had a more Grid 2 Style. Where the news is shown on websites like Skysports.co.uk. And also a better injury engine I sometimes have 3 players injured in a match. #Nevergonnahappen

Not sure if these have been mentioned but....

• More realistic transfer fees - This has annoyed me a lot! I was Tottenham and put in a bid for Leighton Baines, they negotiated the offer and said they wanted £60M, how unrealistic is that? I managed to get them down to around £40M but still way too much. In real life a bid of around £20M would be enough to secure Baines, so why is it so different in game? This happens throughout the game and frustrates the life out of me!

• Team/Player options on contracts - would be a good feature and add an extra dimension to the game.

1. I believe that there should be a be a pro style approach to the game like there is at fifa,

Example:

Take over and be Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger etc.. Rather than replace them as manager you become that manager and have his reputation.

2. There could be a owner game where you can be the billionaire or millionaire owner and buy whatever club, Negotiate the sale or purchase of any club & hire/fire managers, Choose whether or not you are a let the manager do the job or tell the manager who to buy kinda guy.

Edit: Play as Club Chairman
Despite this being a popular request from you FM’ers out there, this doesn’t look like it will be happening either.

Miles has, and quite rightly, pointed out that the game is called ‘Football Manager’ and not ‘Football Chairman’ – a fair point well made.

He also goes on to say that there will not be the facility to save up your own managers wages in order to be able to buy your own football club within the game.

Despite not being able to do this within Football Manager, maybe there is a gap in the market for SI to create this ‘Football Chairman’ game? – although I wouldn’t visit Paddy Power and placing a bet that it will be anytime soon.

(Just noticed this after making my post and the answer is reasonable and fair so I accept that won't be in the game lol although I would like to see it as maybe an add-on that we could even purchase ?)

Last edited:
1. I believe that there should be a be a pro style approach to the game like there is at fifa,

Example:

Take over and be Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger etc.. Rather than replace them as manager you become that manager and have his reputation.

2. There could be a owner game where you can be the billionaire or millionaire owner and buy whatever club, Negotiate the sale or purchase of any club & hire/fire managers, Choose whether or not you are a let the manager do the job or tell the manager who to buy kinda guy.

Edit: Play as Club Chairman
Despite this being a popular request from you FM’ers out there, this doesn’t look like it will be happening either.

Miles has, and quite rightly, pointed out that the game is called ‘Football Manager’ and not ‘Football Chairman’ – a fair point well made.

He also goes on to say that there will not be the facility to save up your own managers wages in order to be able to buy your own football club within the game.

Despite not being able to do this within Football Manager, maybe there is a gap in the market for SI to create this ‘Football Chairman’ game? – although I wouldn’t visit Paddy Power and placing a bet that it will be anytime soon.

(Just noticed this after making my post and the answer is reasonable and fair so I accept that won't be in the game lol although I would like to see it as maybe an add-on that we could even purchase ?)

Surely this would just be like watching an AI manager play FM? Or would you also have to go to your oil company to make the money to inject into the club? Seems like something that would get old quicker than Alan McInally's match reports on fifa.

- Basic character creator - decide how your little manager sprite dresses (suit, tracksuit, club kit etc.)
- More control over financial aspects - choosing kit sponsors, stadium advertising, ticket prices including special offers etc etc.
- Changing kit design at the start of each season

Don't know if I read this or dreamt it... (tbh I most likely dreamt about it after reading it) Had a quick look but didn't find it.
Better physio information about injury's during a match, the better the physio the more detailed the information on the injury.
the times I've subbed a player only to find out he has a bruised arm or left a player on to find he has potentially a very serious injury made worse (I guess) by not subbing him earlier.

Players can slag of my team talks to the press, I want right of reply. Or if their under performing I can go to the press myself.
Basically more options whereby I can mess with my players heads. (am I overly emotionally invested in this game or what...lol)

Sort out my player dribbling with the ball and playing himself offside.
The offside rule in general, phases of play etc. (might be tough to do though)

Now this one really really ****** me of:
After a player get injured and we kick the ball out of play in the name of good SPORTSMANSHIP,
I'm sick the death of getting ****** over by a limp wristed tame efforts to return the ball to my players. 80% of the time they (the opposition) throw the ball halfway back, but chase the ball and put us under unfair pressure.
Code it so the ****** passes to his player who then boots the ball over my keepers head and out the ****** stadium.
At least that way we get the ball back.

Have the ref run to the player he is carding or letting off with a warning, makes my teeth itch watching the player walk slowly slowly inching ever closer to the ref...waiting...waiting....geez he still has half the width of the pitch to walk....wait, what?? no ****** card!!! FFS!

Lets see the manager, issue a new shout and lets see him go to his technical area and wave his arms about.
And lets have that shown for when the AI is combating my tactic with their manager doing the same.

ACTUALLY TELL US WHY WE ARE/WERE/WAS LOSING!

Also stop giving away needles corners.
Stop Heading the ball out of play when it's possible to control it.
Less brain farts please.

To be able to look at a player's attributes from past seasons to grasp a better understanding of where and how much a player has developed in different areas.

AND

Overall Ratings for: Teams, Managers, Staff, Players etc.

- Basic character creator - decide how your little manager sprite dresses (suit, tracksuit, club kit etc.)
- More control over financial aspects - choosing kit sponsors, stadium advertising, ticket prices including special offers etc etc.
- Changing kit design at the start of each season

I love these three ideas. More customization over the look of your kit and stadium has to come as the ME gets more graphically impressive.

Would love to see a scenario like Gareth Bales/Luis Suarez appear within the game. Hurting team morale, eventually another figurehead or leader in the team coming to you asking him to be sold for the good of the club...

The ability to cancel substitutions after someone scores.

also be able to recommend players for the national team either messaging the national manager or through a press conference.

Greater interconnectivity between the various parts of the game. If a player gets injured and also has been whinging about wanting first team football, i don't want questions about whether I will play him in the pre-game press conference.

If I'm Bayern and negotiating with Feijenoord about buying Jordy Clasie, they said we want 31 million, I said, you can have 27, then don't transfer list him the next day for 20 million!