Germany v England Thread

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has got to be more than team gelling - there must be something more
- A lack of passion
- A dislike for the manager (Why do you think Maradona didn't pick Cambiasso)

The only chance we have at a WC in the near future is 2018 - and that is ONLY IF WE WIN the bid, because at least then, the players, being at home, will not be able to hide from the media, and ultra-passionate fans like the ones on this site. Look at Ghana. Look a Mexico. They show football is a team game - a team full of passion, who care and have something to win. The English team have already got it all - 200k a week, etc - how could they be as passionate about the WC as, for instance, Guillermo Franco of Mexico, who is unemployed!? (recently released from WHU)

The only hope we have got is if managers actually act on promises. On Cappelo's appointment back in December 2007, I can distinctly remember him saying he would be picking on form rather than reputation. The ONLY example of that would be the exclusion of Theo Walcott from the final 23, which, I actually though he got wrong. Theo Walcott, despite being inconsistent, can be an incredible impact substitution. Anyway, I'm going off topic, Roy Hodgson for manager! Capello better not stay on - Even if we had won it, it would never be as special as '66, with an Italian at the helm of England.

Anyway, to see how I go about things, see the sig. ;)

Because the press in other countries is so different. :S

You guys think the British media is bad, you ain't seen the Spanish media, the expect them to win every game by 4 and 5 goals, even against Brazil, Germany etc. Anything less than that is deemed a failure. The loss against Switzerland was debated like **** on TV and papers, much like England's will be.

Im not just talking about the press here, i said media, thats TV, the likes of SKY Sports.

You said ENGLISH media. It is no different for the likes of Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc. All those countries have plenty of pressure on them so I dont know why people are crying about the media and blaming them for anything.

I felt sorry for James, he played a good game - not his fault but it was poor goalkeeping for the third goal.

You said ENGLISH media. It is no different for the likes of Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Germany etc. All those countries have plenty of pressure on them so I dont know why people are crying about the media and blaming them for anything.
Yeah i said ENGLISH MEDIA, not PRESS, and im not blaming them, i said i find their constant over hyping of England embarrassing.

England need to fix up thats all keep capello but someone needs to whack him in the head and tell him that 4-4-2 is so old and predictable. And the likes of Rooney and Lampard and Gerrard need to change their attitude. Like Terry Butcher said earlier they know no matter how rubbish they play they have that england spot reserved however i feel capello will change that as we saw with young Theo Walcott who i think we missed this time around.

Yeah i said ENGLISH MEDIA, not PRESS, and im not blaming them, i said i find their constant over hyping of England embarrassing.

What would you consider the difference between media and press? I would say they're the same thing. And other countries get the same hype.

What would you consider the difference between media and press? I would say they're the same thing. And other countries get the same hype.
Well i always class media as TV and radio and press as papers and magazines, but thats just me. I cant speak for other countries press/media. Im simply saying i dont like ours.

im more interested in the bit i highlighted

It's Michels' philosophy (Teambuilding is the book he wrote which covers this in a bit of detail, as well as how to manage etc. - it's a pain to get hold of right now though as I don't think it's in print any more). He started it with Ajax, and then took it to Barca. Cryuff really hammered it home at Barca - Cryuff was Michels' golden boy during the 'Total Football' era. I know of only two English clubs currently using it - Arsenal, who've been running it almost since Wenger arrived, and Liverpool who introduced it last year by nicking most of Barca's best youth coaches.

It's a really, really long-term project though. And it is expensive. And it produces players who are not suited to the 'traditional' form of English football - which is not to say that they can't do it, but how many managers will give up their 17 year old pigeon catchers or muscle machines for a more rounded player who'll not be ready for first team football until 19/20 and even then only in small stints?

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

German manager explains his tactics in this BBC piece: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8766494.stm

Tactical discipline and positioning? He spotted there was a problem and took advantage of it.

It's Michels' philosophy (Teambuilding is the book he wrote which covers this in a bit of detail, as well as how to manage etc. - it's a pain to get hold of right now though as I don't think it's in print any more). He started it with Ajax, and then took it to Barca. Cryuff really hammered it home at Barca - Cryuff was Michels' golden boy during the 'Total Football' era. I know of only two English clubs currently using it - Arsenal, who've been running it almost since Wenger arrived, and Liverpool who introduced it last year by nicking most of Barca's best youth coaches.

It's a really, really long-term project though. And it is expensive. And it produces players who are not suited to the 'traditional' form of English football - which is not to say that they can't do it, but how many managers will give up their 17 year old pigeon catchers or muscle machines for a more rounded player who'll not be ready for first team football until 19/20 and even then only in small stints?

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 AM ----------

German manager explains his tactics in this BBC piece: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8766494.stm

Tactical discipline and positioning? He spotted there was a problem and took advantage of it.
ah ok, i wil try and have a look on ebay. i just wonder about the long term situation of english football, and this isnt just a kee jerk reaction to today (though it certainly brought it back to my thoughts/ its something that has bugged me for a long time. for all the money in the game we lag far behind in too many areas

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

ah ok, i wil try and have a look on ebay. i just wonder about the long term situation of english football, and this isnt just a kee jerk reaction to today (though it certainly brought it back to my thoughts/ its something that has bugged me for a long time. for all the money in the game we lag far behind in too many areas
if loew could see, why didnt capello react to it?

Bringing back the youth point, the problem is there isn't really any youth coming through, because top clubs are simply buying players from 16 years old from Europe, and throwing English players on the scrapheap. I actually feel sorry for you, the future looks bleak for you. At least up here, there is a continuous flow of Scottish youth, because the teams can't afford foreign talent, but surely a rule saying X amount of English players must be in the squad for EPL matches must be introduced soon ? It's ridiculous the amount of foreigners in your league now.

Bringing back the youth point, the problem is there isn't really any youth coming through, because top clubs are simply buying players from 16 years old from Europe, and throwing English players on the scrapheap. I actually feel sorry for you, the future looks bleak for you. At least up here, there is a continuous flow of Scottish youth, because the teams can't afford foreign talent, but surely a rule saying X amount of English players must be in the squad for EPL matches must be introduced soon ? It's ridiculous the amount of foreigners in your league now.
the 6+5 rule is thrown out beause its ridiculos. it gives you MORE english player not BETTER. that comes from changes to coaching and how we tech the game at a young age. and its not that bleak, we have some vry good under 21's and under 17s {zeb, found some highlights of the under 17's, some very very good stuff, though obviously a long way off}. its too easy to blame foreign players. they wouldnt be brought in if our players were coached the right way

Are the BBC not allowed to use german letters or something?

In that article and during the game they spelt mullers name mueller and kießling's name kiessling.:S

Are the BBC not allowed to use german letters or something?

In that article and during the game they spelt mullers name mueller and kießling's name kiessling.:S
probs just so we can pronounce them better

the 6+5 rule is thrown out beause its ridiculos. it gives you MORE english player not BETTER. that comes from changes to coaching and how we tech the game at a young age. and its not that bleak, we have some vry good under 21's and under 17s {zeb, found some highlights of the under 17's, some very very good stuff, though obviously a long way off}. its too easy to blame foreign players. they wouldnt be brought in if our players were coached the right way

Through virtue of having more though, you will have a bigger chance of producng better players though. The thing is though, like you say, there are players you are producing that are very good, but your clubs are choosing foreign talent over talent thats on your doorstep.

Status
Not open for further replies.