Global Domination - an Intercontinental adventure

February 2012

Bidvest Wits 2-0 Bloem Celtic
Chikwaikwai (32)
Ngwenya (61)
After a while without a match, time in which I organized a friendly to keep the players ticking over, we returned to league action with a win over Bloem Celtic. We defended solidly, and took our chances, and when they went down to ten men after 55 minutes, we took advantage of the extra man and put the game beyond doubt.

African Champions League Preliminary Round 1st Leg
Saint George 0-6 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (5, 31)
Chikwaikwai (45, 79)
Marques (51, 71)
This is the moment I have been looking forward to ever since we qualified for the Champions League at the end of last season. A sensational performance which has all but wrapped up qualification for the next round. Every single player was fantastic today, but we also had some bad news as Mngomeni picked up an injury which will keep him out for three weeks.

MngomeniThando090819InActionBBP250%20.jpg

SAFA Cup 2nd Round
All Nations 0-4 Bidvest Wits
Marques (7)
Morton (30)
Ngwenya (47)
Mkhwanazi (74)
Pretty much what was expected of us as we won an easy game. Marques missed a penalty after 47 minutes, but we won the ball back and Ngwenya got the goal anyway. There was also a goal for new signing Michael Morton. Second leg against Saint George is up next.

A solid February which saw us play some pretty poor teams in all honesty. We managed to win all our games, scoring 12 goals and conceding none.

March 2012

African Champions League Preliminary Round 2nd Leg
Bidvest Wits 1-0 Saint George
Matuka (14)
Not as good as the away leg, but we go through to the first round 7-0 on aggregate. We will now play Etoile Du Congo in the next round.

Ajax CT 3-0 Bidvest Wits
A bad defeat which leaves Ajax within touching distance of us. We never really turned up, as we rarely do against this team for some reason.

Ajax%20Cape.gif

Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
Etoile du Congo 1-2 Bidvest Wits
Winstanley (18)
Ngwenya (33)
By winning the away leg, we have given ourselves a good chance of making it to the second round. When we went 2-0 up, it seemed as if we would go on to score more, but they pulled one back and made it hard for us. We should be able to win the return leg, though.

Bidvest Wits 3-3 SuperSport Utd
Marques (45)
Ngwenya (65, 83)
I’m sure it was an exciting match for the neutral, but our defending was poor. We went behind twice, but took a late lead, only to throw it away again. Fortunately we are still top after drawing a game we should have won, as Ajax CT lost.

Daine-Klate-SuperSport-United_2397674.jpg

SAFA Cup 3rd Round
Bidvest Wits 5-2 Black Leopards
Mngomeni (8)
Sibande (24)
Chikwaikwai (57)
Kadi (74)
Mkhwanazi (pen 90)
Five goals and five different goal scorers. A good performance which puts us into the quarter finals, where we will play Santos FC.

FS Stars 2-3 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (17)
Chikwaikwai (42, 90)
It looked as if it was heading for a draw, which would have been a massive dent in our title hopes, but Chikwaikwai popped up as he so often has with the winning goal. Ngwenya’s goal in the first half was also special, as he left three defenders for dead before stroking the ball home.

Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
Bidvest Wits 4-2 Etoile du Congo
Chikwaikwai (16, 78)
Ngwenya (21)
Mngomeni (30)
A great win which sends us into the second round. There were some great goals in this match, with four of the six scored from outside the box. All our strikers our on the top of their form at the moment, so picking them is a good problem to have.

Another decent month which sees us make good progress in the Champions League. However, I am slightly disappointed with the points dropped in the league. We still sit top by two points, and we have scored 13 goals more than any other team, but we have conceded too many goals, and have the fifth worst defensive record in the league.

April 2012

Bidvest Wits 1-2 Kaizer Chiefs
Booysen (73)
We were 2-0 down by 50 minutes, but when we pulled one back in the second half and they had a player sent off late on, I thought it could just happen. We usually do well against them as well, but it wasn’t to be today, and we could slip down to second depending on other results.

24b3d8bfe75d401a87e6a15cb30edc5b.gif

SAFA Cup Quarter Final
Bidvest Wits 3-0 Santos FC
Kgatla (2)
Ngwenya (7)
Marques (89)
We got off to a great start in this match, taking a two goal lead within seven minutes, and then put the game beyond doubt late on. I am very pleased with this result, as Santos are a strong team, and I would like to try and win this competition.

Golden Arrows 1-0 Bidvest Wits
A really poor performance in a game we should have won but created nothing. Having been top, the last two defeats could see the end of our title hopes with only a few games remaining.

Bidvest Wits 1-0 Orlando Pirates
Ngwenya (9)
We needed to win this if we wanted to have any chance of finishing in the top two, let alone winning the league. And we did just that, with an early goal in a cagey affair. We now turn our attention to the Champions League.

Champions League 2nd Round 1st Leg
Bidvest Wits 3-0 JS Kabylie
Chikwaikwai (17, 49, 81)
I’m delighted with this victory, as nobody expected us to get anything out of this match. It was vital that we got a good result to take to Algeria, and I couldn’t have asked for better. Evans Chikwaikwai was magnificent, scoring a hat-trick as well as having a goal disallowed. His goalscoring record has been unbelievable this season, considering his stats suggest he isn’t good enough for the squad. And in the Champions League this season, he has seven goals from four games with a rating of 8.52.

View attachment 74873

42b-jsk-jsmb-2.jpg

MP Black Aces 1-1 Bidvest Wits
Matuka (22)
We were terrible today, and didn’t deserve to get anything out of the match. The worst thing is that if we won we would have gone top, but instead we are second with just two games left.

We haven’t played well in the league this month, but we have been superb in the cup. We are going to need Ajax CT to drop points if we are to win the league, but our last two games are both at home so we should win those.

Last edited:
May 2012

Bidvest Wits 1-0 AmaZulu
Ngwenya (82)
We didn’t play well but we got the win and that’s the only thing that matters at this stage of the season. Ajax CT lost today, so WE GO TOP WITH ONE GAME LEFT.

Champions League 2nd Round 2nd Leg
JS Kabylie 2-2 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (43)
Mgomeni (53)
All we needed to do was not lose by three goals and we were going through to the group stage, and we got a respectable draw. I can’t wait for the group stage to begin now, but matches won’t start until next season. The groups were drawn the next day, and I’m pretty angry to be honest. We have been drawn with three Egyptian teams, two of which played out last year’s final.

africanchampionsleague.png

Bidvest Wits 1-1 Santos FC
Mngomeni (pen 40)
I am gutted that we lost this match! A win would have been enough to win the title, and it looked like we were on course for that when we were awarded a penalty which Mngomeni scored. But in the last ten minutes, they scored from a corner and our title hopes were over.

SAFA Cup Semi-final
Sundowns 3-6 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (12)
Winstanley (21)
Marques (25, 58, 90)
Kadi (75)
An unbelievable performance against the current holders of the competition, which puts us into the final. The perfect way to make up for drawing with Santos and finishing second. Marques was sharp and clinical all night, and whoever I play up front seems to score. We will play Golden Arrows in the final.

SAFA Cup Final
Bidvest Wits 1-0 Golden Arrows
Mngomeni (48)
The perfect way to end the season, after league disappointment, meaning we have now picked up two trophies for the season after we won the Charity Cup. I am delighted to pick up the trophy after a hard fought final, we just need to try and win the Champions League now.

martingreenacre2.png

Angola

angola_flag.jpg

Finally in May, after taking over in October of last year, I have got the Angola squad together and played my first matches. Looking at the squad, there are some decent players, and the three below are the ones who stand out and will be key. We have some good attacking options, the pick of the bunch being Manucho, formerly of Manchester United. The striker recently secured a move to Everton, and will lead the line. Gilberto is an experienced full-back, and Kivuvu is a promising midfielder who has a big future in the national team.

Burkina Faso 0-1 Angola

Angola 2-1 Chad

Tanzania 1-2 Angola

Chad 0-1 Angola

Overall, four wins from four isn’t bad, but the results don’t tell the whole story. We have dominated every match, and the two goals we conceded were late on after being in a comfortable position, but we need to improve. We should be winning these games by two or three goals, so I don’t know what this means for when we play better teams.

Pre-season 2012/13

bvstadium4.jpg

First of all, the fans have voted Aidan Marques their Player of the Year. This has come as some surprise as he wasn’t always a first team regular, but when he did play he was superb, and finished with the highest average rating in the league.

We have also been given £6.25m for transfers, of which I will spend very little, and £22.5k p/w for wages, currently spending £6k. The club made a profit of £863,000 last season, and I want to keep us in the black. A new goalkeeper will be my priority, and maybe a centre-back, but otherwise we are solid.

As for Angola, after four games in charge and four wins, we have moved up 38 places to 76th.

Thanks for the comment.

Also, coming to the end of July, I received a couple of strange messages. Two players injured by the same player in the same training session! I wonder if it was the same incident.

martingreenacre.png

great story mate, i will follow

btw, what an agressive player :p

August 2012

Champions League
Bidvest Wits 2-2 Al-Ahly
Marques (51, 80)
We were so close to a major upset against last year’s winners. We went 1-0 down early on, but I stuck to the game plan and it paid off as we scored what looked like the winner with ten minutes remaining. Marques was brilliant, scoring two goals and hitting the post. However, we conceded a last minute penalty which they scored from to equalise. A win would have been a massive result, but I am still happy with the draw. And so are the fans, as they are ‘jubilant’ and don’t seem too bothered that we conceded a late equaliser.

Al_Ahly_teampic2~4.jpg

Champions League
Zamalek 0-2 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (57, 63)
A superb result against the losing finalists of last season’s Champions League. Marques could have got on the scoresheet a couple of times, but their ‘keeper was on top form. But we kept pushing and eventually got our just rewards with two goals from Ngwenya, who was outstanding today. I came into this thinking a draw would give us a chance, but winning away has put us in a great position to go through.

Charity Cup Semi-final
Sundowns 3-1 Bidvest Wits
Mkhwanazi (73)
I am very disappointed with the performance as we aimed to defend the trophy, but I wasn’t overly bothered about this competition.

Mamelodi-Sundowns-celebrate-1234_2400057.jpg

Super Eight Cup Quarter Final
MP Black Aces 1-3 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (42, 54)
Marques (79)
A decent result, but again in a competition I am not too bothered about, as the board sees it as unimportant. It was a much improved performance after our last match, and Mngomeni looked sharp.

Champions League
Bidvest Wits 6-0 Ismaily
Matuka ( 6 )
Kgatla (22)
Marques (24, 35, 69)
Mngomeni (pen 77)
Matuka got us off to a great start when his deflected free-kick found the net, and we went on to stun the Egyptians. A magnificent performance against a team who probably have better players than us. We now sit top of our group having played three games.

After such a great win, we have had a busy week. Firstly, I managed to finalise a deal to bring Benni McCarthy in as a coach. Now for the bad news. My chairman has accepted an offer from Lech for Aidan Marques, the best player to ever come through the Bidvest Wits youth ranks. It’s even more frustrating that we got ripped off, and I could have got a much better deal had I been negotiating, and it leaves us with very little time to find a replacement.

Jomo Cosmos 2-3 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (25, 38, 86)
This was our first league game of the season, and it was harder than it should have been. We were 2-0 up at half time, only for them to come back, meaning we relied on a late winner to get the three points. On a positive note, Ngwenya was fantastic, and will hopefully prove we don’t need Marques.

We have had a very good month in my opinion, with the Champions League wins a particular highlight. I am still livid over the departure of Marques, and I will probably resign as soon as I win the Champions League, which I am hoping is this season. I took a big gamble by not signing anybody, and letting so many players go, but there weren’t enough quality players willing to join, and I refuse to be ripped off.

I'm gonna follow this... Your aspirations are very interesting. I hope you get to manage Toronto FC during your career! Good luck too!

Thanks for the comments. And the board are annoying, especially as I don't get to see the details of the deal so it could be paid over 48 months. And I will have to manage an MLS team one day, so you never know.

great read mate youve inspired me to do something similar :D

September 2012

Champions League
Bidvest Wits 3-2 Zamalek
Mngomeni (pen 32, 45)
Ngwenya (53)
A fantastic result which means both us and Al-Ahly have qualified for the semi-finals after just four games. We were 2-0 down after 26 minutes and playing poorly, but we turned it around. Although if we hadn’t been awarded the penalty, I’m not sure we would have been able to come back. Anyway, bring on the next round.

Bloem Celtic 0-3 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (29, 45, 79)
A great result, but one which came at a cost. Evans Chikwaikwai broke his leg, and will be out for up to 8 months. This is why I can’t understand why my chairman sold Marques. We now have one recognized striker, with Mngomeni and Mkhwanazi who can play up front but are better in attacking midfield, and one 19-year-old who is yet to make his debut.

28BloemCeltic_500.jpg

Super Eight Cup Semi-final 1st Leg
Bidvest Wits 4-0 Swallows
Mngomeni (39, 45)
Miller (60)
Ngwenya (63)
I could only name three substitutes for this match, due to numerous players being unavailable due to injury or travelling back from international duty. So I was delighted with the result, but Ngwenya picked up an injury and will be out for two to three weeks. The only available striker in the squad is now the 19-year-old who made his debut today. Although I have agreed to sign a new striker, with the transfer going through in January.

Champions League
Ismaily 1-0 Bidvest Wits
They scored from a penalty late on, and it was disappointing as we beat them 6-0 at home. We had already qualified so it didn’t make too much difference.

Super Eight Cup Semi-final 2nd Leg
Swallows 2-0 Bidvest Wits
It was a good job we built up such a good lead at home, because we were really poor today. I couldn’t name a strong team, and it told, but were are through to the final.

Champions League
Al-Ahly 2-3 Bidvest Wits
I am so proud of the players after they came back from 2-0 down to defeat last year’s Champions League winners. Again we had our two attacking midfielders playing up front, and at 2-1 down, Mkhwanazi got injured and there was nobody else who could play there. I switched to a weird looking formation with one winger and one striker, and we fought back to get the victory. It means we top the group and will play Raja Casablanca of Morocco in the semi-final.

1202172950365_1202172950365_r.jpg

Bidvest Wits 4-2 Black Leopards
Kometsi (13)
Shendzelani (53)
Buthelezi (57)
Mnisi (89)
We conceded after two minutes, but equalised soon after, and the second half was a great performance. Shendzelani’s goal was a scorcher, and we also received the first bit of good news on the injury front for a long time. Ngwenya came on to play the last five minutes, and should be fit enough to start in the Champions League.

Champions League Semi-final 1st Leg
Raja Casablanca 2-1 Bidvest Wits
Mkhwanazi (19)
I would have liked to take a draw back to South Africa, but I am still confident we can beat them at home. We went 2-0 down early on and managed to pull a vital away goal back.

In other news, the club’s training facilities have now been upgraded to ‘good’. We have a great youth setup, and now we will be in a better position to develop those youngsters who come through the ranks.

1329.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with the results this month, as we have had to come through a terrible injury crisis. But now we should have come through the worst of it, and be able to name a full bench next month. I am delighted to have Ngwenya back, as he has 10 goals in as many starts to his name this season.

View attachment 77688 View attachment 77689

Angola

Angola 3-1 Tanzania

I also had a game for Angola, and we beat Tanzani 3-1 to qualify for the third round of World Cup qualifying.

Last edited: