Global Domination - an Intercontinental adventure

July 2013

Lokomotiv Moscow 0-0 CSKA Moscow
I started my career at the Lokomotiv Stadium with a Moscow derby against rivals CSKA. They are blessed with talent, including Brazilian striker Vagner Love, so I was ultimately pleased with the goalless draw. We probably came closest to scoring, but chances were few and far between for both teams. The important thing from this match for me was not losing, and we achieved that.

PFC+CSKA+Moskva+v+FC+Lokomotiv+Moskva+Premier+ZAkUHMaoo9Um.jpg

Amkar 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Aliev (47)
Sadaev (51)
This game taught me a lot about the team, and changes which need to be made. We went a goal down after 12 minutes, and at half time I realised it wasn’t working, so changed to a more attacking setup. And not two minutes after the break, Aliev put us level. And then soon after that, the Amkar goalkeeper rushed out, and headed the ball straight to Sadaev on the edge of the box, who coolly slotted home to give us the lead. As the game went on it looked as if we would hang on, but they got a last minute equaliser, meaning I am still looking for my first win in charge.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+Amkar+Premier+Liga+J_-DsobDASgm.jpg

So two games and two draws, in games we were expected to lose. I would have liked to have gained four points from these two matches, but there have been some good signs. At the moment I am trying to implement the tactics which brought so much success at Bidvest Wits, but if it doesn’t look like it is working I may change things around. I am also closing on a deal to sign a promising 16-year-old defender, with the transfer window opening in August, but all transfer activity will be in the next update.

Ah nice choice. Will be interesting. Unlucky about wagner he is very good.. :)

August 2013

I kicked off the month by trying to strengthen the squad, and targeted a number of players including Roman Pavlyuchenko and Chris Gadi. I didn’t get my very best targets, but I did manage to bring a few players in. First of all I signed a pair of promising young defenders in Igor Yeremenko and Marc Muniesa. I have high hopes for Yeremenko, who is only 16 and I feel has the potential to become a future international. Muniesa is a little older, but I am still looking forward to seeing him develop, and he should provide competition for the defence. They also arrive for a combined fee of under £700k.

Next is a player I signed on a free transfer after he was released by Tottenham. Adel Taarabt. He has bags of ability, and his flair could be the key to unlocking opposition defences. He will probably be used mainly as an impact substitute, but I was delighted to bring him in for free.

And finally, our biggest signing of the month, and a player I know very well. Aidan Marques arrives for £5.5m, after signing for Lech for half that amount twelve months ago. We didn’t really have an outstanding striker before Aidan arrived, but I have faith in him to bring the goals. I have worked with him at Bidvest Wits since he was 16 and came through the academy, before Lech had an offer accepted by my chairman, and he went on to have an outstanding goalscoring record in Poland. I also let some fringe players go for a total of about £3.5m.

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-1 Saturn
Sadaev (79)
We weren’t particularly impressive today, and left it late to get even a point. Sadaev looks like a good goalscorer, but we are not playing well.

Spartak Moscow 2-0 Lokomotiv Moscow
I gave the tactic I implemented at Bidvest Wits one last chance, and it didn’t pass, meaning I will be trying something new in coming matches. It could have been more than two, to be honest, and we didn’t deserve to get anything out of the match.

Spartak+Moscow+v+Lokomotiv+Moscow+Premier+vow7rOidvvNm.jpg

Lokomotiv Moscow 3-0 Spartak Nalchik
Lakhiyalov (55)
Vorobjov (63, 73)
Before this match, I asked one of the players to organise a team meeting, before I changed our tactics, and the combination of the two seemed to work. I once again tinkered with the set-up at half time, and we went on to dominate the second half, scoring three goals. Hopefully this will be the turning point in our season.

Euro Cup 4th Qualifying Round 1st Leg
Slask 0-3 Lokomotiv Moscow
Lakhiyalov (17, 28, 90)
Another great performance from the team, and a superb performance from Lakhiyalov who made a real statement today, and will provide stiff competition for Marques to get in the team. His first goal was a neat finish, his second was a long range free-kick, and his third was a scorcher which puts one foot in the group stage. They went down to ten men after 64 minutes after conceding a penalty, which we missed.

Moscow 2-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
Aliev ( 6 )
In another Moscow derby, we took an early lead and everything was looking bright. But they put the pressure on, and after 74 minutes they equalised from the penalty spot. By sitting off, we were inviting pressure, so I went to try and win the game, but it backfired and they scored a late winner. Still, the performances have been much better than when I first took over.

Euro Cup Qualifying Round 2nd Leg
Lokomotiv Moscow 4-0 Slask (agg 7-0)
Rios (5)
Lakhiyalov (30, 76)
Aliev (90)
I rested some players for this match as we have a league game two days after, and the players who came in performed admirably. Rios was superb as an inside forward, and Lakhiyalov continued his hot streak to ease us into the next round.

The draw for the group stage was also made this week, and I am hopeful that we will be able to come through it. We avoided the really big guns of Inter Milan, Manchester United, Lyon and Porto, but it will still be tough. We were 4th seeds for the draw.

eurocupc.png

Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 Rostov
Muniesa (5)
Marques (89)
It was a tight game, but if the fans were doubting my signings, they aren’t now. Muniesa opened the scoring on his Premier League debut, and at half time I brought on Aidan Marques for his debut. He made an instant impact and put the game beyond doubt.

So, it has been a busy and up and down month, but I am happy that things are turning around. After finally finding that first win, we have got some good results, although there have still been some blips. I am looking forward to next month, when all my signings will be available and settled.

Player of the month: Shamil Lakhiyalov

nice story mate,wolves in the euro cup :O

This story is the best I have ever read.Brilliant mate.Another follower!!!!!!!

September 2013

Krylja Sovetov 0-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Marques (76)
Sadaev (81)
It was backs against the wall stuff as they dominated possession, but a quick breakaway gave us the lead through Marques (once again a half time substitute). And as they through bodies forward, another counter put the game beyond doubt. Kylja Sovetov are currently 5th in the league, so this was a good victory away from home.

Euro Cup
Lokomotiv Moscow 1-2 Wolves
Vorobjov (40)
Christophe Berra gave Wolves the lead after 22 minutes with a header, and we undeservedly equalised before half time. It looked as if it was heading for a draw, when in the third minute of injury time, Johan Djourou popped up with the winner, meaning it will be very difficult for us to get out of the group now.

Lokomotiv Moscow 1-2 Tom
Aliev (55)
Another terrible display, where we got what we deserved. The only high point was a great free-kick from Aliev, but apart from that it was a shocking performance.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+FC+Tom+Tomsk+Premier+League+nctZuUD_Cdkm.jpg

Sibir 0-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Marques (23)
Aliev (pen 90)
A tight win against a team fighting against relegation. It was made harder than it should have been when Vorobjov was sent off for a second yellow card after just 12 minutes. But we continued to attack, and a neat finish from Aidan Marques gave us the lead. We managed to hold on, and with the last kick of the game, Aliev scored from the spot to double our lead.

I have got to be disappointed with this month. We lost two home games we definitely should have won, especially the Wolves game. Although I am still confident that we can beat every team in our group at least once. The league I am not too worried about, as it is more about building for next season, but I would like to have a good European campaign.

Player of the month: Olexandr Aliev

oleksandr-aliev

Angola

I forgot to add these matches into the last update, so here are the World Cup qualifiers from September.

Egypt 2-3 Angola
Mantorras (1, 27)
Manucho (pen 45)
This was a fantastic result, in an enthralling match. We took the lead inside the first minute, before Egypt equalised. We then regained the lead after 27 minutes, and it looked like we would finish the half that way. Although just a minute from half time, Egypt equalised again, before we immediately went up the other end and won a penalty. Manucho dispatched it, and we managed to see the game out.

Nigeria 2-0 Angola
We were outplayed today, and didn’t create any real chances. This means we go into the last two games of the group with it out of our hands. Only one team qualifies, and Nigeria are level on points with us at the top, but have a superior goal difference. We are going to need Egypt to do us a favour and beat Nigeria.

October 2013

Euro Cup
Panathinaikos 1-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
Rios (56)
We got off to a dreadful start, conceding after four minutes, but managed to salvage a point. It was vital we didn’t lose today, after our defeat to Wolves.

Giorgos-Karagounis-Panathinaikos-Anorthosis-F_1603833.jpg

Lokomotiv Moscow 8-1 Terek
Dujmovic (27)
Sadaev (39, 65)
O.G. (50)
Rios (57)
Marques (62)
Vilakazi (68)
Aliev (90)
What can I say? This is the best I have seen this team play. We had a period in the second half when we scored four goals in eleven minutes, and everything we touched seemed to turn to gold. This emphatic win should be a massive boost to the players. Terek may be bottom of the league, but they have some decent players, and this was just a freak result.

Euro Cup
Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 Bochum
O.G. (45)
Dujmovic (71)
A hugely important win which leaves us second in the group having played three games. Wolves are top, having taken nine points, Panathinaikos are below us on two, leaving Bochum bottom with just one point. We were helped out just before half time with the own goal, as we didn’t particularly look like breaking the deadlock.

I have to be very pleased with this month. We have recovered well in the Euro Cup after defeat in our opening game, and in the league we obviously got a fantastic win. With four games left, we are just one point off 6th place, and a possible European spot.

Angola

Angola 3-0 Sierra Leone
Mantorras (pen 38, 84)
Job (87)
After 38 minutes, Sierra Leone’s Kargbo conceded a penalty, and was shown a second yellow card. Mantorras scored from the spot, giving us a half time lead. Once I saw Nigeria were beating Egypt, it became about trying to improve our goal difference, which it looked like it would come down to. We managed to win by three goals, and Egypt scored a last minute equaliser against Nigeria, meaning if we beat Egypt we are guaranteed qualification.

Angola 0-2 Egypt
It was painful to watch our World Cup dream unravel before my eyes. Centre-back Maninho was sent off after just one minute, and then after 16 minutes, we conceded a penalty and Amir Zaki gave Egypt the lead. Shortly before half time, the Pharaohs doubled their lead. Now we needed Sierra Leone to do us a favour, but they lost to Nigeria 3-0 and as a result we didn’t qualify for the 2014 World Cup. The following day I resigned.

Just noticed this story, quite incredible job switch from Africa to Russia hope you gain as much success this season as last.

Will be following keenly.

November 2013

Rubin 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Lakhiyalov (72, 77)
We were 2-0 down at half time, so I brought on Lakhiyalov, who has had a fantastic season, and he changed the game. I also told the players to get the ball out wide, and it worked, as we pulled the game back to gain a very respectable draw.

FC+Rubin+Kazan+v+FC+Lokomotiv+Moscow+Premier+fjZNml5gkcGm.jpg

Euro Cup
Bochum 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Lakhiyalov (15, 35)
Marques is cup-tied for the Euro Cup, so I gave Lakhiyalov a start, and he scored another two goals, making it four in two games. We were 2-1 up at half time and began to sit off a little, and as a result the German side pulled one back. We still have a good chances of progressing, though.

Dinamo Moscow 2-1 Lokomotiv Moscow
Rios (46)
I don’t have too much to say about this match. We missed a big opportunity to climb up the table, but defeat means Dinamo move above us. Also, it seems like every other match in this league is a Moscow derby.

Lokomotiv+Moscow+v+Dinamo+Moscow+Premier+Liga+pI7Hy8ev-f8m.jpg

Lokomotiv Moscow 0-0 Zenit
I feel robbed after this match. We could have opened the scoring first through Rios who hit the bar, and then when Marques found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but had both the initial shot and then the rebound saved. And then after 35 minutes, Zaur Sadaev was sent off for a deliberate handball on the halfway line, which infuriated me. But we continued to look the more likely, and could have scored on many occasions, even with ten men. If it wasn’t for some heroics from the Zenit ‘keeper, two or three of our ten shots on target may have gone in. I am slightly disappointed, but very proud of the way we played today.

Kuban 0-4 Lokomotiv Moscow
Lakhiyalov (24)
Rios (38, 89)
Marques (59)
On the last day of the season, we finished in style. It was a superb performance in a match we dominated, and this is a promising sign for next season.

So we finish 7th and just miss out on European football. The club was sitting in 8th when I took over exactly half way through the season, and this season was really just about steadying the ship. It is quite clear that inconsistency has been our downfall, and we will need to rectify that next season, and also our performances against big teams have not been great. There have been some ups too, such as the 8-1 victory over Terek, so I am looking forward to preparing for next season.

Player of the season: Shamil Lakhiyalov

9356_ori_shamil_lakhiyalov.jpg

The striker has hugely surprised me since I arrived in July. When Aidan Marques arrived, Shamil simply stepped up his game and made himself almost undroppable. I don't expect him to feature as much next season, though, as the 34-year-old is getting on and will face stiff competition. But he really has had a great season.​

martingreenacre.png

I also returned to international management this month, and back to Africa as well. When I Algeria offered me the job, I had a look at their squad and that made up my mind for me. They have some very good players, and my first task will be managing the country at the African Cup of Nations in a few months. Here are a few of the side’s key men.

Ryad Boudebouz

The winger made an £11m switch to Newcastle in 2012, and has grown into a key member of the team. His pace and trickery pose a major threat to any opposition, and he is possibly the best player in the team.

Madjid Bougherra

The Rangers defender is a rock at the back, and his experience will be vital when we travel to Libya for the ACN. We are in a group with Ivory Coast, South Africa and Mali, and Bougherra will be charged with keeping the likes of Aidan Marques quiet.

Hassan Yebda

Every team needs a worker in midfield, and Yebda is just that. He will fit perfectly into my plans and will allow the likes of Boudebouz the freedom to go forward and express themselves.

Last edited:
December 2013

The league season may have finished, but our European campaign is still in full swing. We had our final two group games this month.

Euro Cup
Wolves 2-2 Lokomotiv Moscow
Lakhiyalov (45)
Sadaev (68)
We gained an important point here in England, becoming the first team to take points off Wolves in the group. It means we go into our final group match with Panathinaikos needing only a point to progress. It was a much improved performance from when they beat us 2-1 at our place.

Euro Cup
Lokomotiv Moscow 3-0 Panathinaikos
Taarabt (16)
Lakhiyalov (25)
Sadaev (45)
We were superb today, and got a win that seals our qualification into the next round. Adel Taarabt was outstanding, and opened the scoring early on. Goal from Lakhiyalov and Sadaev sealed the game before the half time whistle, and now I am looking forward to the draw.

martingreenacre2.png

So we have been drawn with Manchester United in the First Knockout Round of the Euro Cup. Seeing as we couldn’t beat Wolves in two meetings, I honestly don’t think we have much hope in this tie. That being said, I can’t wait to play them. They finished 4th in the league last season (2012/13) after winning it the season before, but qualified from their group scoring 15 goals and conceding none. If by some miracle we get through, we will play Olympiakos or Dortmund in the next round. Bring on Old Trafford.

I also received some bad news this week. Although I can’t say my staff didn’t warn me.

Too bad about Marques. I had a South African player in Wolfsburg, and he couldn't adjust either. Good luck with Man Utd. though!

Too bad about Marques. I had a South African player in Wolfsburg, and he couldn't adjust either. Good luck with Man Utd. though!

Thanks. I don't know why he has a problem, I have a South African centre-back, and he spent a season in Poland so I thought he would be fine.

This is a truley awesome story and wen you started off unemployed did hummel offer you the job cus i did the same and yesan in the n league offered me the job they was bottom with 3 points and it was extremely hard to get them any further

This is a truley awesome story and wen you started off unemployed did hummel offer you the job cus i did the same and yesan in the n league offered me the job they was bottom with 3 points and it was extremely hard to get them any further

Thanks for the comment. I holidayed, setting it to apply for any jobs, and when I returned I had an offer from Hummel. To be honest, I did not enjoy the league, especially as there is no promotion, but if you look at the high school teams you can get some great players for cheap.

yeah tht is wat i saw and did u win the league straight away with hummel mate cus i was bottom by a way wen i started but i manager to pull it back and finish third bttom

yeah tht is wat i saw and did u win the league straight away with hummel mate cus i was bottom by a way wen i started but i manager to pull it back and finish third bttom

I did win the league in my first and only half season, but only because the previous manager won the opening stage. I finished 6th in the closing stage but I managed to win the play-off.

Ah fair nough the previous manager ws bottom with 3 points after first stage lol then i got 7th in second with 19 points

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Formia mate wen will the next update of this awesome story gunna be