Global Domination - an Intercontinental adventure

October

Super Eight Cup Final
Golden Arrows 1-1p Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (pen 95)
They certainly gave us a run for our money by taking it to extra time and penalties, but I am pleased we got the victory. Mngomeni put us ahead in extra time with a penalty, but they equalised in the last minute of the first half of extra time. This is my third trophy in three years in South Africa, but the two that I really want elude me.
SuperSportUnitedTeam2009_500.jpg

Sundowns 0-2 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (36)
Buthelezi (pen 45)
A great result that sends us to the top of the table with a game in hand. I had to make seven changes as it was just three days after playing 120 minutes against Golden Arrows, but the players who came in were fantastic, and it was a very good win against a very good team.

Bidvest Wits 2-1 Santos FC
Langa (12)
Kgatla (57)
The game was more comfortable than the score line would suggest, as we had a lot of chances. Langa scored his first ever goal for the club after being handed a place in the team to partner Ngwenya due to injuries.

Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg
Bidvest wits 1-0 Raja Casablanca (2-2 agg)
WE ARE THROUGH TO THE FINAL! A 1-0 win was enough to level the aggregate score and send us through on goal difference. Yesterday I was in Angola playing a World Cup qualifier, and today we have pulled off a fantastic result. We will play Etoile du Sahel of Tunisia in the final, after they beat Al-Ahly.

rajawac-derby-flags.jpg

Golden Arrows 1-2 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (5)
Ngwenya (57)
We got slightly lucky as they had a goal disallowed late on, but we still deserved the win. And it maintains our 100% record in the league. Michael Morton made his return from injury today, and will provide extra steel to the midfield, especially with a Champions League final coming up.

South African Knockout Cup 1st Round
Bidvest Wits 3-0 Golden Arrows
Langa (31)
Ngwenya (41, 47)
A great performance sending us into the next round in our second match in three days against Golden Arrows. Although this is a competition I’m not too bothered about, but it would be a nice addition to the trophy cabinet.

Bidvest Wits 5-0 Ikapa Sporting
Ngwenya (1, 12)
Langa (18)
Haskins (50)
Sibande (52)
The perfect way to prepare for the Champions League final. Ngwenya was fantastic again, but the next day he told me he was feeling pressured by people’s high expectations of him, and I’m hoping it doesn’t get to him.

Champions League Final 1st Leg
Bidvest Wits 2-0 Etoile du Sahel
Mkhwanazi (26, 69)
We took a big step towards lifting the trophy with this win, meaning we take a healthy lead to Tunisia for the second leg. Mkhwanazi was brilliant up front today, and we managed to keep that all important clean sheet.

etoile-supporters.jpg

Bidvest Wits 2-1 AmaZulu
Morton (5)
Langa (90)
We were slightly fortunate to come away with the win, in a match where the players were probably suffering from a bit of overconfidence. They equalised shortly after we took the lead, and then our ‘keeper saved a second half penalty, allowing Langa to score an injury time winner.

Great story, I really like using foreign leagues. Hopefully you'll win the Champions' League!

November 2012 (Or Novembro as apparently I can now speak fluent Portuguese)

Swallows 2-1 Bidvest Wits
Matuka (4)
We just can’t seem to beat Swallows away and that continued today, not the best way to prepare for the Champions League final. This is also the first time we have dropped points in the league this season.

African Champions League Final 2nd Leg
Etoile du Sahel 1-1 Bidvest Wits (1-3 agg)
Morton (77)

3814216037_25ab69e6bf_o.jpg

Bidvest Wits win Champions League
WE HAVE WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE! A fantastic performance that saw us take the lead in Tunisia and put the game beyond them before they pulled one back. I am so happy that we have won the Champions League in our first season in the competition, and 1/5 of my aim is now complete. Now I have achieved my goal in Africa I will start looking around at other jobs that pop up, but I would like to finish the season and win the league.

martingreenacre2.png

Knockout Cup Quarter-final
MP Black Aces 2-2p Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (43)
Ngwenya (50)
It was harder than it should have been, but we were coming off the back of major celebrations. They managed to take it to penalties with an injury time equaliser, but we prevented a major upset.

Bidvest Wits 1-0 MP Black Aces
O.G. (15)
We should have been more comfortable than we were, but we got the win and kept a clean sheet.

Bidvest Wits 1-0 Orlando Pirates
Ngwenya (36)
Another solid 1-0 win, but this time a better performance, as we never really looked like conceding. This result helps us keep a healthy lead at the top of the table.

After the disappointment of two consecutive 2nd place finishes, we now look like real contenders, and are comfortable at the top of the table. Of course this month obviously brought the Champions League win as well, which was a great moment.

OMG!!!

No, serously congrats on this fantastic achievment. What continent will you be dominating next?

OMG!!!

No, serously congrats on this fantastic achievment. What continent will you be dominating next?

I think I will stay until the end of the season, and then Argentina maybe? I'll have to see what becomes available but I'm quite open.

December 2012

Knockout Cup Semi-final
Black Leopards 0-3 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (4)
Langa (9)
Morton (87)
A great performance, and a clean sheet in a match where I rested my two centre-backs. We are through to the final to try and win a third trophy of the season.

SuperSport Utd 1-0 Bidvest Wits
A disappointing performance and result, not much else to say about it, as hopefully it was just a one off.

Bidvest Wits 2-2 Ajax CT
Ngwenya (33, 68)
It would have been great to beat our title rivals, but it was more important not to lose. We took a 2-1 lead in the second half, but they found an equaliser in the 89th minute.

48613_news.jpg

FS Stars 0-0 Bidvest Wits
Another slightly disappointing draw, which puts Kaizer Chiefs within three points of us. We didn’t create enough chances and never really looked like scoring.

Club World Championship Quarter-final
America (MEX) 3-1 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (38)
They were far better than us today, and play in a far better league so we were always up against it. But I was pleased with the effort.

pachucavsamerica_310979.jpg

Club World Championship 5th Place Play-off
Bidvest Wits 2-2p Okayama FC
Mngomeni (19)
Ngwenya (24)
I really don’t see the point of having a 5th place play-off, especially with a cup final in three days. That being said, I was happy when we took a 2-0 lead, with them going down to ten men in the second half. They then pulled back to 2-2 before we had Ngwenya sent off, and we lost on penalties.

Knockout Cup Final
Bidvest Wits 2-1 Swallows
Ngwenya (1, 35)
We completely dominated the match, and won our third trophy of the season on Boxing Day. Ngwenya got us off to a great start, scoring after 27 seconds, and then doubled our lead before they pulled one back.

martingreenacre.png

January 2013

We started the month by completing the signing of a player who agreed to come back in September. With Chikwaikwai out for the rest of the season, Phikolethu Spelman joins to add more depth to our attacking options. He only cost £55k as well.

There have also been a couple of individual awards come in to the club for 2012.

martingreenacre2.png

martingreenacre.png

Bidvest Wits 3-0 Jomo Cosmos
Ngwenya (13, 45)
Mngomeni (59)
A great win and an equally good performance. Spelman made his debut, partnering Ngwenya, and although he didn’t get on the scoresheet, he led the line well and Ngwenya seemed to relish playing alongside him.

Ikapa Sporting 1-0 Bidvest Wits
We weren’t good at all today against the 10th placed team. Even when I tried to overload their box, we didn’t create anything. They had a man sent off on the hour mark, but we couldn’t capitalise.

Bidvest Wits 2-0 Kaizer Chiefs
Ngwenya (83)
Mngomeni (89)
It took a long time to break the deadlock, but we dominated the game and deserved the victory. Kaizer Chiefs only had one shot all match, and we looked much the better team.

kaizer-chiefs-fans.jpg

Bidvest Wits 1-0 Bloem Celtic
Ngwenya (46)
A solid performance in a match we were expected to win comfortably. Ngwenya keeps up his impressive scoring record, and our ‘keeper hardly had a shot to save again.

Black Leopards 0-1 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (25)
I could get used to this clean sheet business. It was important we got the win today, and we did that, restoring our healthy lead at the top of the table.

Bidvest Wits 2-1 Sundowns
Spelman (82)
Mngomeni (86)
It was a hard fought, but well deserved win over a good team. They scored with their first shot, and then in the second half they missed a penalty. And in the end it was two late goals that got us the win, with Spelman scoring his first goal for the club to carry on our decent run of form.

We won five of our six games this month, keeping four clean sheets, so I have to be pleased. Also, Evans Chikwaikwai, who broke his leg in September and has been out ever since, isn’t too far away from a return, and has quadrupled in value since he’s been out some how.

Yeee !! Champions League beaten :$ Good luck in other continents !

Yeee !! Champions League beaten :$ Good luck in other continents !

Thanks, and that should be the hardest work done. I have now built a reputation and the others should come.

Really good stuff pal. Glad you got your champions league ;) Look forward to seeing you at a diffrent team

February 2013

Santos FC 1-2 Bidvest Wits
Spelman (1, 90)
A really tight match with Spelman giving us the lead in the first minute and the last minute. After 60 minutes Stanley Kgatla was sent off for us, and soon after they equalised, but we kept to a positive style of play and were rewarded with the late winner. Spelman’s first goal was also a club record of 23 seconds in.

Champions League Preliminary Round 1st Leg
Bidvest Wits 3-0 Sunshine
Mngomeni (11, 64)
Kgatla (17)
The first match in our defence of the trophy, and it was a comfortable win. We had 77% possession and they didn’t have a single shot. Mngomeni got two goals, but he also missed a penalty, although If you are going to miss a penalty this was the match to do it.

Bidvest Wits 1-1 Golden Arrows
Spelman (36)
A disappointing performance, especially as they had a man sent off in the second half. Although with ten minutes left we also went down to ten men, when Ngwenya was shown a second yellow card for taking a dive in the box.

Mulondo-SikhwivhiluWL~1.jpg

Orlando Pirates 0-1 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (19)
Once we took a first half lead through Mngomeni, we didn’t allow them to get into the game. We could have had more, and almost did when Mngomeni put the pull into the net for a second time, but it was ruled out for offside. But the game was really over when Orland Pirates had Mhlongo sent off after 83 minutes.

We haven’t scored too many goals this month, but we’ve put in some decent performances. With seven games left in the league, we are six points clear and firmly in the driving seat to go on and win it.

March 2013

Champions League Preliminary Round 2nd Leg
Sunshine 0-5 Bidvest Wits
Langa (2, 26, 66)
Mngomeni (20)
Ngwenya (77)
A great performance that sends us through 8-0 on aggregate. Langa was superb, scoring a hat-trick and looking lively all night.

Bidvest Wits 3-2 Swallows
Langa (26, 48)
Sibande (84)
A tough match in which we went behind twice, but came back to win the game late on. Langa was magnificent again, although he did suffer in injury in the match, which could see Chikwaikwai make his first start of the year after he returned from a broken leg.

SAFA Cup 2nd Round
Platinum Stars p2-2 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (7)
Sbisi (65)
We came into this game with not a single first team striker available, so we played with Mngomeni and a 17-year-old from the U19’s who has no real future at the club. Although credit to Platinum Stars, they looked very good, even if they are only in the First Division Inland, and their second goal was a wonder goal.

Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
Sahel SC 0-3 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (51, 58)
Ngwenya (82)
They didn’t cause us too many problems and we come away from the first leg with a comfortable victory. I am not too bothered about the Champions League this season, as I doubt I will be there for the group stage, but I still want the club to do well.

AmaZulu 1-3 Bidvest Wits
Mngomeni (51)
Chikwaikwai (56)
Ngwenya (76)
We went 1-0 down, but quickly replied to take the lead, and the third goal really killed the game off.

Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
Bidvest Wits 4-0 Sahel SC (agg 7-0)
Mngomeni (22, 26)
Ngwenya (30)
Spelman (52)
This was another comfortable victory in which Sahel didn’t have a single shot. So we qualify for the next round 7-0 on aggregate

Angola

Angola 1-0 Nigeria

This month also brought the first match of the third round of World Cup qualifying. When you look at our group (below) you will see that this was a must win match if we want to qualify. And we did win it, with a goal from Manucho sealing the victory.

We haven’t been particularly tested this month, but we have still put in some good performances. We are so close to winning the league, and we should have it wrapped up in the next two games. Also, there has been speculation linking me with a number of clubs, such as West Ham, Birmingham, Real Sociedad and Argentine club Gimnasia, until Stoke City offered me a job, which I rejected.

Was winning against Nigeria considered to be an upset according to FM2010? If it was, then good job.

Was winning against Nigeria considered to be an upset according to FM2010? If it was, then good job.

They were odds on to win despite us being at home, so I guess it was an upset. Although I'm still not confident of qualifying.

April 2013

MP Black Aces 1-2 Bidvest Wits
Ngwenya (8)
Mngomeni (pen 16)
We were dominant in the first half and took a two goal lead, but took our foot off the gas slightly in the second half, although we still managed to hold onto the win. Ngwenya continued his magnificent form with another goal, and after the match the media were full of praise for him.

martingreenacre4.png

Bidvest Wits 2-1 SuperSport Utd
Chikwaikwai (81, 88)

Bidvest Wits win the league.
After having a fantastic season, we have won the league with three games remaining. It was perhaps befitting that it was Evans Chikwaikwai who scored the two goals to win us the league. He has been superb since I joined, but since he broke his leg in September, he has struggled slightly. But today I brought him on with twenty minutes left and he got the decisive goals. The win also secures an historic quadruple, and I can’t help but feel that my work here is done.

Champions League 2nd Round 1st Leg
Black Africa 0-2 Bidvest Wits
Chikwaikwai (45)
Ngwenya (69)
Again, we dominate a Champions League match, and that should virtually book our place in the next round. And it’s good to see that old partnership of Chikwaikwai and Ngwenya firing again.

Ajax CT 1-1 Bidvest Wits
Winstanley (20)
The league may already have been won, but I didn’t rest players as this was a game I wanted to win after Ajax CT pipped us to the title on the last day of last season. And we took an early lead through Winstanley, who has had another superb season, but will retire in the summer. They equalised, but I am pleased with the draw.

I was delighted to be able to wrap up the league this month with games to spare, and we also made good progress in the Champions League. I also brought in a backup goalkeeper on a free transfer, who is a lot better than the previous backup ‘keeper who left for £250k compensation. I think he has potential, and so do my scouts who feel he will become a leading Premier League goalkeeper.

End of 2012/13 Season Review

Champions League 2nd Round 2nd Leg
Bidvest Wits 3-0 Black Africa (agg 5-0)
Matuka (39)
Mngomeni (70, pen 82)
I never expected to lose this match, and I wasn’t let down as we go through to the group stage 5-0 on aggregate. I only brought Mngomeni on after 65 minutes as I was resting him, but his quality was evident even for that short period of time, as he scored two goals.

Now, my young midfielder Xolani Solomons has been on loan at Kaizer Chiefs with an option to buy, and they keep trying to get him to accept their contract offer, but this headline made me laugh.

Bidvest Wits 3-0 FS Stars
Winstanley (20)
Mgomeni (29)
Chikwaikwai (41)
This was a very comfortable win, when we were 3-0 up at half time playing against ten men, after 39 minutes. They then went down to nine men with 15 minutes left, and the game was officially over.

African Super Cup
ENPPI 0-1 Bidvest Wits
Chikwaikwai (15)
I don’t know why they waited so long to play this match between the Champions League winners (us) and the Confederations Cup winners (them), but we managed to pick up another trophy. Somehow, the Egyptians were favourites for this match, but our quality showed as we picked up our fifth trophy of the season!

Kaizer Chiefs 3-0 Bidvest Wits
This was our last game of the season, and most likely my last game in charge, but it wasn’t the result we would have liked. Not a good way to end such a brilliant season.

So at the end of the season, we won the league comfortably, and picked up five trophies. It has been a brilliant season, although towards the beginning I was worried about our strength in depth as we struggled to name a full bench. Ngwenya also had a fantastic season personally, finishing second top goal scorer, and also had the highest average rating and most man of the match awards.

resignation.png

The day after our last game of the season, I resigned from the club. I have had a fantastic time in South Africa, and become attached to the club. And I am confident that I am leaving the club in a much better state than I inherited, having picked up five trophies last season. Here is a summary of my time at Bidvest Wits.

bidvestcareerstats.png

Angola

angola_flag.jpg

Sierra Leone 1-4 Angola

I may have quit my club job, but I am still in charge of Angola, and we had another World Cup qualifier against the whipping boys of the group. It was made slightly nervy when they pulled it back to 2-1, but it was a comfortbale win in a match where our strikers were on fire. We are now three points clear at the top of the group with two matches played.

Last edited:

Lokomotiv Moscow

lokomotiv.gif

Lokomotiv Moscow is one of Russia’s biggest clubs, and they won the league as recently as 2004. However, in the 2010 season, they were relegated from the Russian Premier League. Relegation sparked a mass exodus, including the sale of the club’s best player, Wagner.

They did bounce back the next season, and in finished in third position in their first season back in the top flight. Now, exactly half way the through the 2013 season, they currently sit eighth, having played 15 games, won 5, drawn 5 and lost 5. My task for this season will be to achieve at least a top six finish, and qualify for the Europa League, and I think that is achievable.

Lokomotiv Moscow play at the Lokomotiv Stadium, which holds 28,800 people, which was only opened in 2002. They also have good youth facilities and training facilities.

300px-LokomotivStadion.jpg

Key Players

Looking at the squad, and taking advice from my staff, it looks like South African Gareth Vilakazi is our best player. I was actually chasing this player for Bidvest Wits, but he opted to move to Russia instead. At 19, he has a great future ahead of him, and will be the rock at the back.

We have quite a few strikers in the squad, all decent but none outstanding, and Zaur Sadaev appears to be the best of those. He is young and looks like he could be a good poacher for me. Although there may be some rotation in attack in the coming weeks.

And finally, Guilherme looks like he could also be a key player. A solid goalkeeper can be the difference between success and failure, and it looks like we’ve got one here.

Just a reminder that although it is still July, the Russian Premier League is half way through its season. I will also be able to experience the Euro Cup for the first time in my career, and that is something to look forward to. Also, here is Wagner, as I am just gutted that he was sold before I got here.