Golyam Oblak, Maluk Duzhd - Story of a Bulgarian Journeyman

I just read and quite good, Brilliant, Mind-Blowing and DIFFERENT, just 1 question, How do you make these spoiler bars, they rock :)

lol at the spoiler

;)

Quality story mate. Definately will be following this, loving the way you write it :)

Agreed. I hope you continue it in FM11! :D

I just read and quite good, Brilliant, Mind-Blowing and DIFFERENT, just 1 question, How do you make these spoiler bars, they rock :)

Thanks a lot guys. Comments like this are brilliant motivation :)

Spoiler bars:

[./spoiler]

Without the stop! (H)

you're Fine Writing skills and have as thus imprinted in my imagination what's going to happen next. This is as quality that It deserves another praise.

Great work A class above the rest.

"Strength in alliance"

celebrateh.jpg

The players walked out onto the pitch at Akademik Festilvana for the first time since the tragic 'accident' that killed 50 Bulgarians singing and dancing away in celebration of a fortunate, but deserved win against Rilski (Sportist) and in celebration of a new era, with businessman Ilya Chalev at the helm in the boardroom, I shook my head and cringed with disgust as my third vodka went down in my throat - a burning, harsh feel on the inside of my throat that I had got used to since my wife died.. I can't even say her name any more, it hurts too much. Back to the football now I thought, as I went back to the cold winter's day I began to describe. Anything to get away from the thoughts that went round and round in my head...

So the players jogged out onto the pitch to a huge noise - Only a couple of hundred had dared turn up for the first home game since the tragedy - our game against Bdin had to be played away from home, making a 3-0 victory even more impressive, and giving me an excuse to give to those "media vultures"* who persisted on trying to convince everyone, even myself, that I wasn't cut out for management..

Fortunately, the 267 fans that had taken their seats were treated to a real spectacle, a 4-3 victory over mid-table side Pirin had them jumping up, and sinking down just minutes apart. Growingly consistent striker Nikolay Bozhov gave us a deserved lead half an hour in, before they equalised after a defensive mistake, and went ahead, after another.. We pulled it back though, and Chipev, followed by Bozhov turned providers for Aspurah Vasilev, and Veselin Marchev respectively - both finishing from close range to give us the lead before Vasilev wrapped it up all by himself - a clearing header from a corner found him on the halfway line - Turning past his man like Dennis Bergkamp against Leicester City, he runs half the length of the pitch, and finishes cooly to put the game beyond doubt with four minutes to play.

Again though, Pirin, again through striker Georgiev gave us something to worry about, a header from a corner snuck in at the near post for a tight finish, but proved to be no more than a worry, as we progressed up to second again, ahead of Chavdar, who lost.

Fortunately, the month was dominated by the football, and not by off the field events. A win in November's first game was followed by a dominant win against promotion contenders Bansko - Bozhov and Vasilev on the scoresheet again, this time it was the striker who grabbed a brace, as late Stoyanov and Ayass goals completed the rout, three, and seven minutes after the only Home goal.

Lastly, Vihren proved tough opposition away, setting up shop and providing two banks of four our players struggled to break - injuries to Petkov and Ayass didn't help..

akademiksofia61.jpg

*​

I called the players and told them that training was starting earlier than usual tomorrow - "7.30 AM - sharp!" I told them.

They turned up, and I gave what my assistant manager described as "a rousing speech"!I told the players how impressed I was with them:

"With all of you.. This month has been very tough for everyone involved with the club - the fans, the management, and you - the players..."

I managed to forget about my little competition last month - I've obviously been pretty busy lately.. But i'm re-introducing it this month - as I said, you've all been brilliant, 7 points from 9 is no shy act, and your ambition, your desire, and your togetherness.. I saw you at the end of the Pirin match, your huddle, your applause to the fans.."

"OK, look - Nikolay's yawning so I'll get on with it!"

"In fact Mr. Bozhov, I'd like you to to step forward - " I pulled a Dairy Milk (Fruit and Nut) from my pocket, and handed it to the in-form striker:

"A little extra this month, for forgetting last month! Mr. Chipev - I'd like to come forward too."

I put my arms around them both and told them to get back to their beds for today, while their still warm.

"I'm sorry I got you here so early boys, I wanted to get this out of the way. You've both led the team on, and off the field - 6 goals in 5 matches is a superb return Nikolay, so well done. Tvestomir, you've combined ox-like strength, with technical class, and superb passing on the field and inspirational attitude off the pitch - You're my second winner, so you too can skip training today. I expect to see the same from each and every one of my players, It may just be a day off training, or a chocolate bar, but competing for this award keeps us in the big competition - the league, so keep it up, and I'll see you all tomorrow. It's been a tough month, and you all deserve a rest."

And that concluded it. For the first time in I don't know how long, I went home with a good feeling, the team were gelling well, and were really playing like a team, and I genuinely felt they wanted my respect, and were happy with me as manager...

*​

I got home, climbing the concrete steps, and slotting the key into it's hole, but the door was already open. I looked inside, unsure whether a knock would alert someone of my presence, and scare them off, or draw danger toward myself.. I crept in, cautiously - Everything seemed to be where I left it, but I was sure I had closed the door.

I paced cautiously around my flat for another minute or two - before eventually coming to the conclusion that I must have left it open by accident - until I saw the window at the back, smashed in with glass on the floor - but no sign of an entry from the back, nor anyone/thing still in the apartment.

I grabbed the phone in the kitchen, and began to dial the police, when I noticed I had a voice-message (I never had voicemail)..

"Mr. Matiak, it's Alexi from the station - I uh.. I'm sorry I had to break into your flat.. It was early and you weren't it so I.. Well I thought something might have.. uh.. happened.

Anyway - the boys were collecting some more evidence at the stadium.. It seems that in fact the fire was lit on purpose.. There are tire marks by the stand, fresh - and traces of petrol on the ground.. I am.. uh.. very sorry Mr. Matiak.. The investigation is ongoing so we'll... What? Yes Doughnut is good, thank you Andrei... So it is best to.. uh.. leave it to us.. we will find the culprit.. BEEP"

From clearing one worry, Alexi had given me another, potentially more serious one - I hit the vodka in search of an answer as if a couple of shots would suddenly reveal to me who had tried to burn down the stadium and killed 50 people.

The other thing that puzzled me was the voices I heard - I could have sworn I recognised the officer's voice from somewhere else. I had never met him as far as I knew, nor been down to the station though. 'Andrei' too - A common name in Bulgaria, but the way he said it...

No...The vodka's getting to me, I thought, and I returned to the bottle, hoping for happier thoughts to come from that morning's drinking. I downed two quickly, and poured a third...

Another awesome update.

It's turning into a football story and crime thriller all in one XD

Fantastic update Joss.

Even when half asleep, it was quite something!

Keep up the top work. :)

Fantastic update Joss, possibly your best one yet. You've built up the tension and intrigue really well, and I can't wait for more now :D

Very good update. Do they get Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut in Bulgaria? ;) Also, you need to lay off the vodka. How many have you had at ~8am? :p

Very good update. Do they get Dairy Milk Fruit and Nut in Bulgaria? ;) Also, you need to lay off the vodka. How many have you had at ~8am? :p

It was the most normal (possibly worldwide) chocolate I could think of OK? Also - It's not the jungles of Peru, they are a majorish European country!

And god knows, i've lost count.. maybe because I've had so many.

And THANKS!

Great story mate, your [already great] writing style just gets better with every update and the plot feels like it is coming very naturally to you.

Not so frequent on the site these days but I'll try and keep an eye on this. :)

Thanks guys. Means a lot.

Chris and FBP - Coming from two of the best writers on FMb - very nice comments :)

Aww, just saw this. :wub:

Cheers Joss. :D I think you should include yourself in that. :)

Going to be very busy this week guys, but I'll try and finish the updates for the season before Friday, then I will probably continue to update, but not sure whether there will be enough interest in an FM10 story with FM11 out? If people want this to continue, I'm more than happy to do so, or else I'll start a new story somewhere on FM11 and treat this as a trial run of sorts :)

The Waiting Game

trn.jpg

The team left the training ground in a hurry on the 20th - Desperate to get back to their wives and children for Christmas, before we met again on the 10th of January, to train before our third, and penultimate friendly of the mid-season break. Friendlies had got off to a good start with two wins from two, against non-leaguers Perun and high-flying "C" Division side Razgrad. These friendlies were a good opportunity to rest important players like the ever-impressive Tvestomir Chipev who was proving the signing of the season after his free transfer to Studentites.

"See you on the tenth then!" I told them as they left the new compound, paid for by the new chairman - we'd had to move the site, but there was no building costs, Mr. Chalev had promised money, and he'd given it - In style, a modern building with floodlights outside and perfectly situated on the outskirts of Sofia, just 8 miles from the stadium in the centre of the city.

And that was it.

Christmas just 5 days away.

My first year alone since my wife's death in that tragic car accident in France, but that was before I came to Bulgaria, to Sofia, to my club. I was enjoying a good, if up and down start to life at the Akademik Festilvana Stadium, and the team lay 3rd, 4 points behind the leaders with half of the season to go. We were higher than the predicted 4th that the "Media Vultures" were suggesting in pre-season. We could win this, I knew we could. We just had to keep our heads down and make a good start when we came back, away to struggling Etar 1924 - all the way down in 17th, just 5 points and 13 goals away from the relegation zone. A win there would set us on our way for the month, and likewise, a good month would give us the momentum to push on and really challenge Balkan and Chavdar at the top of the table.

YoYo Month for Studentites

15079039.jpg

The team came back with no major injuries, a few fitness issues after too much food over the Christmas Festivities.

Then one more win and a draw from the final two friendlies, and we were all set to play lowly Etar.

A 2-1 win gave us three points, but the performance gave me wonder whether the team really was strong enough to win the league. A complacent performance created little chances, with Nikolay Boychev scoring what proved to be the winner just after the hour mark. An altered midfield included Boychev and Ayass in the two more defensive positions for the first time that season. Samir struggled as he looked to burst forward as if in his more natural attacking position, occupied this match by Yosif Shutev, who had grown confidence from his award earlier in the season, and produced performance after performance, including plenty of assists, and key passes.

The rest of the month went by in a flash, another win, followed by an embarrassing 2-0 loss and a 3-3 draw thanks to a Nikola Bozhov brace in double quick time - Just one minute separated the two goals - after we had conceded our lead and let in three cheap goals to go behind with 15 minutes to play against admittedly tough opposition.

The month left us 3rd still, comfortably ahead of 4th place, but now 5 points behind leaders Balkan, who continued to impress sports writers across the country. I was furious with myself for being so tactically naive, they exploited our flanks, as we looked to pass the ball through the middle, and it was only after 75 minutes that I changed things around, putting on Kaloyan Stoyanov, and pushing the wide men forward to go up against a solid back four. I got my reward immediately, a diagonal run from Stoyanov drew the defender out of position, and Bozhov made the vital move, running onto Shutev's through ball, and lifting the ball over the advancing keeper, into the far corner from an angle. Immediately after kick off, Shutev again won the ball and chipped it over the sleeping defence for Bozhov to tuck in the equaliser from 12 yards.

My assistant jumped in the air with delight, I simply nodded with approval and clapped.

"You wan win this now!" I shouted from the edge of my technical area. A few hand gestures and the team pushed forward in search of a winner which unfortunately never came.

A simple team talk just involved me congratulating them on the comeback, and praising them for their spirit, and versatility as I changed my tactics at the last moment in search of a comeback.

A difficult restart would surely improve with the fixture list being kind to us, and Chipev returning from a slight knee injury picked up in the last friendly. Boychev had impressed me in midfield though, and I was tempted to start him for our first game of March, away to Botev (Vratsa).

86065203.jpg

First title taken from Eds brilliant story: "Slaying the Dragons -- The English Youth Academy http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=42559

Last edited:
Whoa, very nice Joss.

You sure know how to write!

:wub: