Golyam Oblak, Maluk Duzhd - Story of a Bulgarian Journeyman

nice kits joss, looking forward to this as it's the only story I'm really following at the minute. It seems everyone is waiting for fm11 now (and the new blog system)

Students arrive late to deny Chavdar as Akademik roll on

I leaped in the air in joy. Tvestomir Chipev had scored a goal he had no right to score. A 30 yard strike in the 87th minute was enough to deny league leaders Chavdar (Etropole) after their striker, Alexsander Ruskov had scored a goal of (slightly less) real quality.

I watched the ball leave Chipev's foot, that, as they say in Europe "stayed hit". It swerved one way, then suddenly the trajectory changed, it rose and flew into the top corner, leaving the keeper motionless in the middle of his goal, as if still waiting for the ball to fall into his hands.

The players had shown their resilience in a tough away fixture, and come away with a point to keep up with the early table-toppers, level on 10 points after just four games.

akademiksofia2.jpg

After a good start against tough opposition in the form of Etar 1924, we faced another, slightly less difficult away match to Septemvri (Simitli), but a team in form nonetheless, having beaten their opening opponents in a comfortable 3-0 win, and on the back of a solid pre-season. Conceding two goals annoyed me still though, we went behind early, and then again after a quick Bozhov equaliser. Both of their goals were outstanding, and we came out the other side with a win, but if we were to qualify for, and survive in the top league (as I firmly believed we could) we would have to cut out the complacency at the back. A team which was obviously still gelling then demolished Botev (Krivodol) at home, and our clean sheet delighted me, especially going into our final August match, which I always knew was going to be tough.

*​
A comparatively easy month lay ahead of us, despite having to play the favourites, Botev (Plovdiv) who had been underperforming, with just a point from the first four fixtures. I was growing evermore confident that the team I had could start to establish our authority in a league which was clearly a level below our standard.

socceragilityprograms.jpg

My confidence had spread to the training ground, as apparently had my enthusiasm. Arriving as usual at 8 o'clock this morning I was surprised to see the players already changed and warming up (with some gentle heading exercises!). My assistant, Vasil Ivanski arrived ten minutes later, coffee in one hand, paper in the other, fully expecting to read his paper for half an hour before everyone else turned up. Vasil and I were becoming more and more fond of each other, his advice at times had been invaluable. Despite not having a professional career, he was a passionate football supporter and fan of Akademik, something which I regarded as priceless in the club's current situation behind the scenes..

A formal offer had been received by Manol Velev, as expected from Mr. Chalev, and all that was left was completing the paperwork.

igormatiak.jpg

*​
I watched the players train, and talked tactics with my assistant, who agreed that five goals in five games, although not disastrous was something we needed to work on. He insisted though, that once the team got used to each other, and the new signings and everyone else began to work with me as their manager, results would improve yet further. August had been a good month, three wins and a draw was impressive considering everything that had been going on, managerial switches, board takeovers and new transfers all had the potential to upset the team, but they rose to the challenge, and had put in four solid performances to take us to second place in the table. If it stayed like this until the end of the season, we would face a gruelling two leg playoff against runners up in the Eastern "B" Division, fighting it out for promotion while the winners of both groups automatically qualified. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

You've made a really good start Joss, long may it continue. I always find that I concede a lot of goals away and score a lot at home when i'm a lower league team. Maybe you have to play more defensively in the away games?

Anyway, great update and enjoyed the description of that 30 yard screamer. I also love the sig update, very helpful

Keep it up

You've made a really good start Joss, long may it continue. I always find that I concede a lot of goals away and score a lot at home when i'm a lower league team. Maybe you have to play more defensively in the away games?

Anyway, great update and enjoyed the description of that 30 yard screamer. I also love the sig update, very helpful

Keep it up

Thanks, only wish more people were following. Hey ho :(

Thanks, only wish more people were following. Hey ho :(

It's definitely become harder to follow stories since they were removed from the recent threads list, and will be even more difficult when the blog system is in place. At least you will know who your real followers are :)

It's definitely become harder to follow stories since they were removed from the recent threads list, and will be even more difficult when the blog system is in place. At least you will know who your real followers are :)

Yeah I know, I'd rather have a small bunch of actual followers, then a bigger bunch of people who occasionally read/check my updates.

I have been following right from the first post :D Just never thought of commenting. However, saying that, what a ****** good story this is! Absolutely brilliant mate, and I cannot wait for more! Well done ;)

I really love this.

I mean simply amazing.

Very much looking forward to your'e next post

keep up the quality work.|)

I have been following right from the first post :D Just never thought of commenting. However, saying that, what a ****** good story this is! Absolutely brilliant mate, and I cannot wait for more! Well done ;)

I really love this.

I mean simply amazing.

Very much looking forward to your'e next post

keep up the quality work.|)

:wub:

Update tonight probs.

I'm following and thoroughly enjoying. Good luck with that takeover, exciting stuff. Possible credit for the ****** kits? :D

Canaries taught a lesson by Studentites...
celb2.jpg

...But can't stay unbeaten

"Akademik remain top despite a 1-0 loss at the hands of Belite orli... A late Hristo strike meant the Studentites were unable to maintain their unbeaten record, which stood at a record 7 league games...

I didn't quite know how I should be feeling. Mixed emotions had filled my mind as I shook the hand of Radko Kalaydzhiev, my opposite number, and walked down the tunnel, six wins, a draw and a loss was by no means a poor start. I was proud to pick the paper up and see my club's name in the number one spot on the backpage, albeit in a division below we could be. On the other hand, I was frustrated at our complacency towards the end of this month, and last, a draw and a loss in the last game of each month respectively.

When I took the job, I knew it would be hard, but thought that any way back into football had to be good. To take my mind off things if nothing else, but two turbulent months left me pulling out what left of my hair for different reasons. Results on the field had been promising, and I was still extremely impressed by the professionalism of the players, especially those who missed the first game or two, and have forced their way off the bench with good training, more determined than ever.

Off the field, Ilya Chalev had finally completed a takeover which lasted more than a month. Finally the fat, cigar smoking Manol Velev. Chalev though didn't want his first game to be away from home, so he had taken his wife and children to Moscow for the week, ready to wave at the crowds for the next home game - another tough fixture against Rilski Sportist, a team fully expected to challenge for the playoffs. A light flashed on my closed laptop, and a short "beep" was enough to tell me I had mail.. A personal message from Ilya Chalev had reminded me that, (although he felt it necessary to visit Moscow) there were no plans for investment at this stage. (No advance then, on my 4K transfer budget..)

igormatiak2.jpg

igormatiak3.jpg

Meanwhile in training, I had come up with an idea to try and keep the players focused, and with any luck improve issues of complacency. I gathered the players around me after training, a difficult session had them panting a little - but there were no complaints as I asked them to stay behind for 20 minutes while I told them my idea.

A competition, between the players, for my personal "Player of the Month". Starting from this month, I would be picking out one player from the squad who I felt had consistently impressed me throughout the month. The reward? A day off training. (And my respect!) Risky perhaps, but I was confident that the players would start to really try and impress me, whether for the day off training, or my respect I didn't care, so long as they played well, and got results. This month, I gave the reward to Yosif Shutev, two goals and two assists in just four starts was extremely impressive, and with Samir Ayass dropping to the bench after one disappointing game, I was delighted that Yosif went out to prove a point, and some. I was also happy that Miroslav Budinov was able to come off the bench and grab himself a goal. Bozhov had his, and Kaloyan Stoyanov (Who himself showed his class with a brace in the first game of the month) had a slight knock, so Budinov came on, and after just 4 minutes, his deflected shot lobbed the keeper as he came for the ball, and rolled into the net.

akademiksofia3.jpg

"...Elsewhere in the "B" Division, Georgu Mirchev has been sacked by Eastern side, Panayot Volov. The Bulgarian becomes the first managerial casualty after a poor run of form leading to his side sitting 9th, 9 points behind the leader, despite a 2-0 win against Spartak (Varna). Levrent Avramov has been named as his successor already."

Very good update, great start to the season mate, and I hope the chairman changes his mind and starts to invest. :D

Another quality update Joss. This story seems to be massively under rated, but just keep it up and I'm sure the followers will come

I've written the next update, so when i get a few more comments, i'll put it up ;)

Thanks for the comments you two :D

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

The Chairman

storyz.jpg

I finally had a chance to meet my new chairman. Ilya Chalev made an immediate impression on me. He looked professional, a dark suit and a briefcase made him look tidy, and intelligent. Dark Blue jacket, and trousers accompanied by a white tie, and a Blue and Yellow tie - sporting the club's colours - that didn't suit him at all. Nevertheless, despite his obvious lack of fashion sense, Mr. Chalev looked amicable enough. I still hadn't quite got over his little trip to Moscow, as he once more reminded me that he would not be able to provide me with funds.

Over a cup of coffee, I tried to insist that I still needed to invest in the squad. Once more he rejected any offers I had, carefully commenting that 4K was enough for me to get by on and that I had already signed 9 new players for the new season - with another still to come in January. 19 year old Kylian Mihaylov was set to be my first dip in the ocean, and my pocket, having not spent a penny of the money I received from Mano Velev, relying on frees and loans to expand a thin squad lacking real quality in certain areas. The Goalkeeper had agreed personal terms after big-time rivals CSKA (Sofia) had accepted an initial offer of 2K, despite media reports that a 10K offer was more likely to convince the "A" league leaders to part with a bright prospect.

A skinny man, Mr. Chalev was almost the complete opposite to the fat, unprofessional Manol Velev. But, as seemed tradition in Bulgaria, he seemed intent on an early death, rolling a cigarette as he called for the bill outside the Tiffany Sofia bar and diner. I offered to pay my half, but he would have none of it:

"Very generous Mr. Chalev" I said, half sarcastically.

But he smirked as we set off to the small 18000 seater stadium. Mr. Chalev chose this time to call attention to the attendances, stressing that until I was able to fill the stadium every week, he wouldn't be able to aid my financial woes.

*​

We walked up the concrete steps that led to the changing room in Akademik Stadium, where my assistant prepared the team for the upcoming game - a tough fixture against a strong Rilski sportist side. A quick introduction, followed by a "Good luck!" and a handshake and pat on the back as they walked down the tunnel and Mr. Chalev went upstairs to his priority box.

94071807.jpg

Akademik (Sofia) 1-0 Rilski Sportist

akademiksofiavrilskispo.jpg

As expected, "the skiers" gave us a tough game, setting up two solid banks of four that proved difficult to break down, the stats at half-time showed our dominance. But I began to fear the worst for the game when shot after shot, chance after chance went begging. 0-0 at Half-Time, and they had had just two shots, one on target all game. I told them to go out there, and show Mr. Chalev what they were capable of, to enjoy their football, and to try and get an early goal, unsettle the opposition, then go from there.

Veselin Marchev calmed my nerves and sent the two or three thousand who had turned up into raptures. A beautiful goal was made by some lovely possession football, rounded off with a backflick from in-form attacking midfielder, Yosif Shutev found Veselin Marchev inside the area, perhaps marginally offside able to cooly pass the ball past the keeper and into the net.

A tight game finished 1-0. Both sides had half chances, but we kept possession well, and the win was no more than we deserved in Ilya Chalev's first game as chairman. He had seen what we could do, and now it was up to me to persuade him that, with a little more investment, we could become a force to be reckoned with in the top league, not just "B" Division, and certainly not just Western "C" Division, as some media reports were suggesting in pre-season.

Last edited:
Brilliant updates Joss. :)

Really making me want to get back into FM. (Crippling crash dumps mean I can't :()

Keep up the top work!