GRANDE Wide 41221-The Better Half´s Final Sets

These tactics are great and fun to use. My team (Manchester United) set a new defensive record for not conceding a goal for 12 games. Thanks for sharing this awesome tactic with us :)

These tactics are great and fun to use. My team (Manchester United) set a new defensive record for not conceding a goal for 12 games. Thanks for sharing this awesome tactic with us :)

12 games without conceding :O, thats some football !!
Would you mind posting some screenies ( only to bost the thread ;) ) and tell us how you used the set, playing standard at home, cautious away etc ?

I am bad at reading the game engine

Well dave, you might be in for trouble then ;)
Actually, its not that hard. If you do want to learn it, then just watch some full matches in the 2d mode, (full screen) and look at the movement of the players, the tempo and decision urgency ( time wasting) that the teams use. Look for rapid movements from deep( more attacking, perhaps on the counter) and compare them to players just moving upfiled to keep the shape of the team( more probing, not running from deep). Look for players instantly trying to get the ball upfield to a team mate, using precise passes( intention to attack) and compare it to clearances into open space( teams buckling up under pressure) etc etc

This tactic set is a lot of fun and when used with the correct timing against the correct opponents, the results are devastating.

I am playing as Barcelona, which may not be much of a challenge, is still a **** of a lot of fun. :)

This tactic set is a lot of fun and when used with the correct timing against the correct opponents, the results are devastating.I am playing as Barcelona, which may not be much of a challenge, is still a **** of a lot of fun. :)
Sometimes its fun to play a more challenging game, managing fat forwards, drunken DCs and à missmatched Midfield and sometimes one wants to actually enjoy the gameflow, managing good players. Dont hesitate to upload some screenies and tell us about your version picking.

Oh, you're certainly right there. I've just stopped playing a 18 season journeyman game where 6 of those 18 seasons had players who looked like they had some sort of limp when they were dribbling the ball.
I've chosen Barcelona because.. well I haven't managed them before and with the new updates featuring Sanchez.. it's kind of hard to resist.

I will provide screenshots, although that won't be for a little while since I'm rather slow when it comes to new games. XD

12 games without conceding :O, thats some football !!
Would you mind posting some screenies ( only to bost the thread ;) ) and tell us how you used the set, playing standard at home, cautious away etc ?

I will upload it as soon as I come back home from my holiday :). In big matches I go overloading attack then after my team scores I go defensive they can't even see the goal. In matches against small teams I go with slow breakdown and if they get chances while I'm in the lead I go defensive :D.

I will upload it as soon as I come back home from my holiday :). In big matches I go overloading attack then after my team scores I go defensive they can't even see the goal. In matches against small teams I go with slow breakdown and if they get chances while I'm in the lead I go defensive :D.

haha, thats also a way to use the set. I can see it working with a big team though :D

Starting a new season. I will take United again :D. This time I will be using my laptop so it will take more time to process.

Starting a new season. I will take United again :D. This time I will be using my laptop so it will take more time to process.

Couldnt stay away from FM eh ;D ?

About your version picking, perhaps its something that I could add into the OP, something like this

Playing with bottom teams
- Some generall advice on what versions that one is more likely to use...and if doing well, that one should probably step to the nest level being....

Middle teams.
A description here as well....

Top teams

Absolute top teams
Here, perhaps your approach is the ones to use, using Overloading attack against good teams as a starting version to get that/those goals and then close out the games. Using slow breakdown against lesser etams to break them down and then just cary on or close out the match

Last edited:
Couldnt stay away from FM eh ;D ?

About your version picking, perhaps its something that I could add into the OP, something like this

- Some generall advice on what versions that one is more likely to use...and if doing well, that one should probably step to the nest level being....

Middle teams.
A description here as well....

Top teams

Absolute top teams
Here, perhaps your approach is the ones to use, using Overloading attack against good teams as a starting version to get that/those goals and then close out the games. Using slow breakdown against lesser etams to break them down and then just cary on or close out the match

- Start with slow breakdown
- If you feel the opposition team is starting to make chances while you are in the lead change to the defensive tactic. If you are not in the lead try the counter attack tactic.

Middle teams.
- Start with standard and try to keep it. If you can't score change to slow breakdown.

Top teams
- Start with offensive you will (hopefully) score a goal in the first half. In second half change the tactic to Defensive and close down the game.

Results of my new season till now:
View attachment 187317

If you can't score a goal against the top team. Change the tactic to slow breakdown.

Forgot to mention this, for match preparation I use Defensive Positioning. You have to make sure that the Standard, Offensive (Overloading), Defensive tactics are fluid with your team.

If you can't score a goal against the top team. Change the tactic to slow breakdown.

Forgot to mention this, for match preparation I use Defensive Positioning. You have to make sure that the Standard, Offensive (Overloading), Defensive tactics are fluid with your team.

Sounds like a good plan for a top notch team like United. When I played with Milan, I initially started all matches at home with Standard and away with Cautious. As the season went on, I still used Standard at home against middle teams and Overload Attack against teams with a poor run. Away, I tended to start with Slow Breakdown against all teams but the top 3 where I still used Cautious.

EDIT: Just noticed that in my current Everton save, I have just conceded 1 goal in the last 8 games, scoring 22, still using the approach explained in my earlier posts

Last edited:
Won 4-1 against Dortmund just now. That 1 goal was from a free kick.

Last 14 games scored 34 conceded 4.
I

My team is in a slump now. Here, its important to actually recognize it for what it is. The players are acting like they are on a lower level, lots of defensive errors etc. In cases like this, its good to analyze why this has happened. Is it because of me/you not rotating the squad, leaving us with players that are of not exhausted then at least tired.

In cases like his, I tend to go for my strengths. If I have a good defensive basis and its the attacking players that lacks in form, then I use the more Cautious version. If its the other way around, then its no good defending but instead go forward

Betterhalf, I am using your tactic as a plug and play with Standard at home and Cautious away with Everton.

Started very well in the Prem, winning 2 games 4-1 and 4-0 and drawing one 1-1, and my players are still not fluid with my tactic.

I signed Christian Benitez and he has 6 Prem goals already, I am not sure if you have used him before, or he fades off but he could be the perfect player for this tactic. I will keep you posted

Betterhalf, I am using your tactic as a plug and play with Standard at home and Cautious away with Everton.

Started very well in the Prem, winning 2 games 4-1 and 4-0 and drawing one 1-1, and my players are still not fluid with my tactic.

I signed Christian Benitez and he has 6 Prem goals already, I am not sure if you have used him before, or he fades off but he could be the perfect player for this tactic. I will keep you posted

Benitez looks like a perfect player for the lone FC role. He is quick, he has flair and he knows how to score. Just like beckford, only better :D