[INSERT WITTY TITLE HERE] - A Journeyman Save

• Thread starter Thread starter TheLuckDuck
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 714
  • Views Views 349K
Brave call, think personally I'd have taken the Man Utd job! But congrats for resisting the temptation and good luck in your next 4 years!

Brave call, think personally I'd have taken the Man Utd job! But congrats for resisting the temptation and good luck in your next 4 years!
Cheers mate :)

To be honest the only reason I didn't take it is because I don't really enjoy managing massive clubs in FM, although I was tempted

View attachment 98844
GLADBACH BREAK BANK
View attachment 98843

Borussia Mönchengladbach have today shaken the footballing world by announcing the signing of German international Thorsten Jankowski from Borussia Dortmund for a HUGE €80m

Jankowski, 23, has come in after Gladbach have sold €71m worth of players, including striker Matteo Torin to Bayern Munich for €40m

Jankowski, who has scored 16 goals in 20 appearances for Germany, has impressed at ever level since breaking onto the scene as a teenager at VfL Bochum, scoring 97 goals in 205 league appearances, including 67 goals in 120 Bundesliga appearances for Borussia Dortmund

His involvement in creating goals is also top notch, having bagged 45 assists for Borussia Dortmund despite playing up front

He also has 2 Bundesliga winners medals to his name
View attachment 98842

Big decision not to take over at Man Utd, never as challenging managing one of the big boys in FM but would have capped off a fantastic managerial ride thus far!

Very brave but interesting decision to carry on. What team in England would tempt you?
Amazing looking player there too

Very brave but interesting decision to carry on. What team in England would tempt you?
Amazing looking player there too
He excites me

Cardiff will always tempt me, and to be honest I don't really like United which is one reason I never went

Other teams in England that would tempt me are the fallen giants like Forest, Derby and Liverpool (Who still haven't won the league)

He excites me

Cardiff will always tempt me, and to be honest I don't really like United which is one reason I never went

Other teams in England that would tempt me are the fallen giants like Forest, Derby and Liverpool (Who still haven't won the league)

How many times have Liverpool changed manager? Seems to be every 1.5-2 years in any of my saves if they don't win the league in first two seasons.

How many times have Liverpool changed manager? Seems to be every 1.5-2 years in any of my saves if they don't win the league in first two seasons.
Not that many, surprisingly. Jurgen Klopp was there until 2019 before being sacked and replaced by Roberto Martinez, who's still there having won 2 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 2 Community Shields and the Europa League in 9 years in charge. He's finished 5th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 5th, 2nd and 6th

View attachment 98559
GLADBACH IN DEADLINE DAY MADNESS

View attachment 98558

Borussia Mönchengldabach have astounded many football fans in Germany by signing 3 players for a combined total of €1.7m

The trio brought in, Richard Grosch, Alan Baiano and Geoffrey Kondogbia, aren't expected to feature that much this season and have been brought in to provide cover in key areas

This was obvious in the signing of Richard Grosch from Leeds United for €1.2m

Grosch, 31, hasn't played in Germany since leaving Darmstadt in 2023 and has enjoyed spells at Galatasaray, Watford and Leeds before returning to his homeland

The goalkeeper has made 169 league appearances in Germany, Turkey and England and has been brought in to supply cover for Niclas Bender
View attachment 98555

Alan Baiano is another German who's been brought in by the club but unlike Grosch he has never left Germany in his playing career

Baiano has instead spent his playing career in the lower reaches of German professional football, appearing for Hansa Rostock, Preußen Münster, SV Sandhausen, Karlsruher, 1860 Munich, Kaiserslautern and Karlsruher SC (again) from whom he has been signed for €300,000

The 29-year-old centre back has made 201 appearances over his career and is expected to be a backup at Mönchengladbach
View attachment 98554

Last but not least is Geoffrey Kondogbia, who's joined Mönchengladbach from Napoli for €275,000

Unlike the others, Kondogbia has never played in Germany, instead spending much of his playing career in Italy with Internazionale and Napoli

Kondogbia has made 459 league appearances in a variety of leagues, including Ligue 1, Ligue 2, La Liga and Serie A, with 285 coming for Internazionale
View attachment 98553

Borussia Mönchengladbach have enjoyed an encouraging start to the campaign, beating Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 in the Bundesliga, enjoying a 5-2 victory over SV Darmstadt in the DFB-Pokal and thrashing Sporting CP 6-2 in the Champions League Playoff

View attachment 98424
HAWKINS: THIS IS OUR YEAR

View attachment 98423
Borussia Mönchengladbach manager Matthew Hawkins has taken the somewhat bold step of proclaiming that "This is our year" in regards to Borussia Mönchengladbach's Bundesliga title

The 32 year old, who has come close with Borussia Mönchengladbach in the past, has stated that he believes this is the best squad he has assembled in his entire managerial career

Gladbach currently sit 3rd in the Bundesliga following a draw with Leipzig, a 4-1 victory over Werder Bremen and a 2-1 defeat to Bayern Munich

It has been a long time since the city of Mönchengladbach have been the home of the Bundesliga champions, with Borussia's last championship coming in 1977, 19 years before their current manager was even born!
View attachment 98422

OCTOBER
View attachment 98342
This season has started a lot better than last campaign, hopefully that means we can win the league? Please?

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Mönchengladbach 1-0 FC Ingolstadt

View attachment 98336
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Becker, Bjarnason (Horvath 81), Mendez, Ricardo (Bauer 56), Mbayo, Jankowski

We went 4-2-3-1 at home to Ingolstadt and it worked well we've been using this stem a bit this season and its really helped us rise up the table

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Dortmund 0-3 Borussia Mönchengladbach

View attachment 98333
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker (Armstrong 63), Horvath, Ricardo, Battista (Oczipka 90), Jankowski (Konrad 63)

Injuries on the wings meant that we went for a 4-3-1-2 away to Dortmund and it worked a treat! We battered Dortmund in the first half and I think we've found a system, unfortunately Giuliano Battista suffered a torn hamstring so, yeah, we can't play this way anymore

DFB-POKAL SECOND ROUND
Borussia Mönchengladbach 3-1 Augsburg

View attachment 98330
Bender, Jehl (Mendez 80), Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker (Armstrong 80), Horvath, Ricardo (Bauer 55), Jankowski, Oczipka

28 shots, 16 on target. I think its fair to say we battered Augsburg from pillar to post in a relenteless march into the next round. Luiz Ricardo is out for 4 months

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-2 Hamburg

View attachment 98327
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker (Horvath 71), Mendez, Bauer, Mbayo, Jankowski

An intriguing game as both sides forgot about the concept of defending and just went at each other in search of goals

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 98326
Our first month in our newly-expanded stadium went well as we wowed the now 60,000 Borussia Park

NOVEMBER
View attachment 98310
Its tight at the top, can we pull away?

BUNDESLIGA
Hoffenheim 0-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach

View attachment 98309
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker (Horvath 53), Mendez, Bauer, Mbayo, Jankowski

A poor performance but a win nonetheless as we sneak past Hoffenheim and collect a nice trio of points

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-0 FC Köln

View attachment 98308
Bender, Christensen, Jalali (Baiano 58), Armstrong, Golemis (Neumeister 58), Horvath, Becker (Bjarnason 45), Mendez, Bauer, Mbayo, Jankowski

No derby day blues for the fans of Borussia Mönchengladbach as we smashed Köln in the first 45 minutes, absolutely incredible

BUNDESLIGA
FSV Mainz 2-1 Borussia Mönchengladbach

View attachment 98307
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Neumeister, Bjarnason (Kondogbia 60), Horvath, Mendez, Becker, Mbayo, Jankowski

An awful performance that could have lasting implications on the title race as we slip up to a very poor Mainz side

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-0 Eintracht Frankfurt

View attachment 98306
Bender, Christensen, Jalali, Abisab, Becker (Kondogbia 62), Golemis, Bjarnason (Dahoud 62 [Ozcipka 84]), Horvath, Mendez, Mbayo, Jankowski

This is the third or fourth time we've gone 4-0 up in the first half and done nothing in the second half. Puzzling.

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 98305
I enjoy being top of the league

View attachment 1111400
HAWKINS IN CHELSEA INTERVIEW

View attachment 1111404
Sources in West London are reporting that Chelsea FC have met with Borussia Mönchengladbach manager Matthew Hawkins regarding their current managerial vacancy following the sacking of Vincenzo Montella

The club's spokesman responded to the news by stating "Chelsea Football Club are speaking to various candidates regarding the empty role of manager at the club", neither confirming nor denying Hawkins' interview

This isn't the first time the 32 year old has been linked with a Premier League club, with the Welshman already having rejected Manchester United's advances in the summer

Chelsea have been disappointing so far this season, and currently sit twelfth in the league going into the new year. Mönchengladbach, meanwhile, currently sit 2nd in the league ahead of the winter break
View attachment 98186

Don't take it, you have to win the Bundesliga before ya leave!

Could be an interesting one, especially if they have fallen down the pecking order a bit. Tough call if you get it

View attachment 98075
GLADBACH GET ROMA IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
View attachment 1111530
Borussia Mönchengladbach have been given a relatively easy draw in the Champions League having pulled Italian club AS Roma from the hat for the First Knockout Round

Gladbach could have drawn Arsenal, Manchester City, PSG or Real Madrid but off come off relatively lightly with their draw

Gladbach have been a surprise package so far in the Champions League having managed to escape a group including Tottenham, Barcelona and Sparta Praha

Two wins against Sparta Praha and a dramatic 2-1 victory over Barcelona at Bourssia Park were enough for Gladbach to get through despite loses in England and Spain as well as a draw with Spurs at home

Gladbach have been playing under a cloud somewhat in recent weeks with reports linking Matthew Hawkins to the Chelsea job

Fortunately those clouds have been lifted following Brendan Rodgers' appointment at Stamford Bridge
View attachment 98074

FEBRUARY
View attachment 97970
Some Champions League action one of people's least favourite months

BUNDESLIGA
Bayer Leverkusen 2-2 Borussia Mönchengladbach

View attachment 97969
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker, Horvath, Ricardo, Battista (Konrad 54), Jankowski

THORSTEN JANKOWSKI YOU BEAUTIFUL *******! A loss would have made the title almost impossible to attain, sure a draw isn't great but we can still catch Wolfsburg

DFB-POKAL THIRD ROUND
Red Bull Leipzig 4-2 Borussia Mönchengladbach

After Extra-Time
View attachment 97968
Bender, Jehl 75, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker (Neumeister 66), Horvath, Ricardo (Bauer 66), Battista (Mendez 66), Jankowski

To go 2-0 up and lose is unacceptable, Cedric Jehl's red certainly didn't help and as soon as we went to extra-time I knew we'd lose

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Mönchengladbach 3-0 VfB Stuttgart

View attachment 97967
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker (Bauer 65), Horvath, Ricardo, Battista, Jankowski (Konrad 65)

A perfect response! We reacted to a disappointing cup loss with a huge 3-0 win over Stuttgart, with Cedric Jehl beginning to make amends for his red card

BUNDESLIGA
SC Freiburg 1-4 Borussia Mönchengladbach

View attachment 97966
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali 20, Golemis (Neumeister 72), Horvath, Bauer, Bjarnason, Ricardo (Armstrong 60), Battista (Konrad 72), Jankowski

We were too good for Freiburg as we steamrolled Robert Huth's men despite Shayan Jalali's early helping hand, a good win with Daniel Bauer's first ever senior goal

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FIRST KNOCKOUT ROUND FIRST LEG
Borussia Mönchengladbach 3-3 AS Roma
View attachment 97965
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Jalali, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker, Horvath, Ricardo (Bauer 62), Battista, Jankowski (Konrad 71)

*Sigh* we were our own worst enemies here as we conceded silly goals to Roma, with individual errors costing us dearly. We battered Roma but we just couldn't defend at all, however the introduction of Daniel Bauer gave us hope as he assisted Battista before scoring a sensational free-kick. Christensen then rolled the ball slowly towards their goalkeeper in the final minute

BUNDESLIGA
Borussia Mönchengladbach 0-2 Bayern Munich

View attachment 97964
Bender, Jehl, Christensen, Armstrong, Golemis, Bjarnason, Becker, Bauer, Ricardo (Kondogbia 61), Battista, Emmerich

The Roma comeback took a lot of the lads and that was plain to see as a team hit by injuries, suspensions and fitness issues stumbled to defeat against Bayern

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 97963
Hopefully Wolfsburg have a Gladbach-esque collapse

Back