[INSERT WITTY TITLE HERE] - A Journeyman Save

• Thread starter Thread starter TheLuckDuck
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 714
  • Views Views 349K
PHASE 2
View attachment 106674
We have been dominating this league so far, can we continue our good form to put us in the position to grab our third successive Premier League title?

RESULTS
View attachment 106673
View attachment 106672
Wonderful stuff! We've only lost two games in 2021 and both of those came against AS Monaco in the Europa League, a competition they were eventually runners up in to Liverpool. This amazing run has included home and away victories against both Glentoran and APOEL Nicosia as well as a Champions League Playoff victory against FC Basel! Incredible!

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 106671
We've won the league! 22 games, 22 wins, 66 points and a league title! What an incredible season, can we win all 33?

TRANSFERS
View attachment 106670

LIAM MURPHY - CLIFTONVILLE - €3,100
View attachment 106669
A young Northern Irish striker who I think has a lot of potential. Remind you of anyone?

PATRIK PAVLOVIC - FK HANISKA - FREE
View attachment 106666
Another Slovakian youngster with a fair bit of potential, brought in to give Maros Nagy some company

BRIAN KOGLIN - FC ST. PAULI - €98,000
View attachment 106665
He has a few years of experience of playing in the German lower leagues with St Pauli and I hope he can bring that here as we attempt to strengthen our defensive midfield options

Another European tie, another beautiful city to visit. This time its Basel, home of, well FC Basel and probably the best fact that I have ever had the fortune (or is that misfortune?) to read

In 1471 a chicken in Basel, Switzerland, was found guilty of laying a brightly coloured egg "in defiance of natural law". It was burned at the stake as "a devil in disguise".
Amazing. Hopefully Tony O'Neill and co won't be laying any eggs tonight, just, you know, scoring goals.

Speaking of Tony O'Neill, we've had to keep him under lock and key over the summer to ensure he remains a St Patrick's Athletic player over the summer, our Tony has been the subject of bids from Real Madrid, Chelsea et al and we even rejected a €5m bid from Manchester United (add-ons). He is so much better than that.

He is also pivotal if we wish to emulate last season's run in Europe, it was his brace at home to Glentoran that set the ball rolling in this campaign, and his home brace against APOEL that secured our passage to this round, we need to keep him if we want to trouble Europe's big hitters.

Coincidentally we are also absolutely shattered. The FAI's, shall we say, "special" approach to fixture scheduling meant that we played Finn Harps on Monday and went away to Basel on Wednesday, cheers guys *growls*

Fortunately, we rested a few players and still managed a comfortable 3-0 victory but some of our key performers are absolutely knackered, so here's the team...

Murphy, Beattie, Feely, Desmond, Field, Wilson, Parker, Reeves, Thompson, Morgan, O'Neill

A win or a draw will see us through, let's go lads.

4 minutes in and we were playing some nice stuff around Basel's box, with the ball eventually finding its way out to Beattie on the right hand side, he whipped a ball in, searching for his compatriot Kevin Morgan.. PENALTY! 4 MINUTES IN AND ST PATRICK'S HAVE A PENALTY!

Tony O'Neill stepped up and... SCORED! 1-0 TO ST PATRICK'S HERE IN SWITZERLAND!

We can't defend so we kept pushing and proof of our inability to defend came about 10 minutes later when we failed to clear the ball, allowing Fabian Maier to equalise for the hosts. 1-1, and I'm wetting myself

We angered Basel with our goal and they came at us with wave after wave of attacks, we failed to clear a corner, allowing Schulthess to shoot, it hit Lanzendorfer and a cruel deflection gave Basel the lead. Bollocks.

After a few minutes of madness we found ourselves back in the game and a wonderful passing move ended in Morgan finding Thompson in the area! He shoots, SAVED!

Half-time and I gave the lads a bollocking, we cant get knocked out by the Swiss! The Swiss!

Unfortunately, my rant didn't work as Schulthess soon found himself space at another corner, unleashed a volley and WHAT A SAVE GREG MURPHY! Wake up, boys. We failed to clear the resulting corner and the ball found itself at the feet of Bigger, who shot. Blocked, hit the rebound! SAVED AGAIN! Christ, I can't handle this

All of a sudden, all was quiet in Basel, until Beattie gave the ball away, lost his man and Basel made it 3-1. Cheers, Gordon.

We gave the ball away straight away from kick off and nearly found ourselves even further behind, with the only player who's turned up today, Greg Murphy, just about keeping us in it, from his clearance we grabbed a free kick that was flighted in by Morgan, cleared, played forward by Beattie, the ball dropped to Wilson, who found JAKE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! WHAT A GOAL!!!! 3-2!

We made changes and went to a 4-4-1-1, come on boys, we sat deep and held strong, for a while, noly for Basel to win a corner, whipped in by Steffen, header by Decarli! OVER!

We found ourselves breaking away in the final few moments, we lost it, Desmond was well out of position as Basel streamed forward, its 3 on 3, FULL-TIME! THANK F*CK FOR THAT!!!

WE ARE THROUGH ON AWAY GOALS!

We really didn't deserve that

Does anyone know how manager reputation works in FM? I've been applying for jobs and not getting interviews at German second and third division sides!

PHASE 3
View attachment 106344
Our final 11 league games and more domestic goodness as we look to complete back-to-back unbeaten seasons

RESULTS
View attachment 106343
DAMMIT! We couldn't quite finish the season with a 100% record as poor scheduling forced us into weakened teams which gave Shelbourne, Sligo and Shamrock the opportunity to nab a point. Still, a clean sweep in the cup competitions as we complete our 2nd quintuple under my stewardship.

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 106342
A huge gap of 36 POINTS between us and 2nd placed Bohemian as we steal their record for most points gained in a single season, smashing the former record of 85 by bagging 93!

AWARDS
View attachment 106341
Following such an incredible season, surely we'd take a clean sweep on awards night?

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
TONY O'NEILL
View attachment 106340
A clean sweep from us in the Player of the Year awards as Tony O'Neill bags first, Kevin Morgan second and new boy Jordan Thompson finishes third

YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR
TONY O'NEILL
View attachment 106339
O'Neill and Morgan bagged first and second once again as both enjoyed marvellous seasons, with Dundalk's Michael O'Connor grabbing third place

GOLDEN BOOT
TONY O'NEILL
View attachment 106338
His third Golden Boot in a row! This was his worst league season goals wise since joining, as he bagged 30 in his first season and 32 in his second, but 27 is still pretty decent. Second place was a player on loan from us in Brian Taylor as he bagged an amazing 21 goals for lowly Limerick

GOALKEEPER OF THE YEAR
GREG MURPHY
View attachment 106337
21 clean sheets and only 14 conceded. A very good season from the returning Murphy

IRISH PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR
GREG MURPHY
View attachment 106336
See above

MANAGER OF THE YEAR
MATTHEW HAWKINS
View attachment 106335
My third successive Manager of the Year award as I bag three straight Premier League titles

TEAM OF THE YEAR
View attachment 106334
EIGHT PLAYERS! We had 8 players in the team of the year, with the only non-St Patrick's players coming on the wings and up front, which makes sense as we don't play with wingers and have but one striker

There we have it, the 2021 domestic season is complete and with my contract up in December, what will I be doing next season?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE
View attachment 1102325
We have Manchester City, Inter and Bayer Leverkusen. It makes last year's group look easy.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP G
St Patrick's Athletic 1-2 Bayer Leverkusen

View attachment 106320
Murphy, Beattie, *****, Desmond, Field, Wilson (Reeves 71), Parker, Reilly, Thompson, Morgan (Shevlin 80), O'Neill

To have equalised against Leerkusen and be pushing forward looking likely to win it before losing to a long ball route one goal is absolutely gutting.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP G
Manchester City 2-0 St Patrick's Athletic

View attachment 106318
Murphy, Beattie, *****, Desmond, Field, Wilson, Parker, Reilly (Reeves 64), Thompson, Morgan, O'Neill (Grieve 64)

To limit Man City to just 2 goals is pretty good in my opinion. A fantastic performance from Greg Murphy is what kept the score down against a team including John Stones, Leon Goretzka, Saul, Paulo Dybala, Coutinho, Eden Hazard and Sergio Aguero

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP G
Internazionale 3-1 St Patrick's Athletic

View attachment 106317
Murphy, Beattie, *****, Desmond, Field, Wilson, Reilly, Reeves, Thompson, Morgan, O'Neill (Shevlin 67)

To take the lead so early on was fantastic but I knew it wouldn't last and that was proved as we went in at half-time 2-1 down. In fairness we scored our only shot on target so I can't really moan

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP G
St Patrick's Athletic 1-5 Internazionale

View attachment 106316
Murphy, Beattie, *****, Desmond, Field, Wilson, Reeves, Parker, Kelly, Morgan, O'Neill

Another early lead against Inter, another loss. This loss, however, was embarrassing, a huge loss of 5 goals to 1 and I was not happy

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP G
Bayer Leverkusen 5-1 St Patrick's Athletic

View attachment 106315
Murphy, Beattie, *****, Desmond, Field, Wilson, Parker (Koglin 45), Reilly (Reeves 45), Kelly, Thompson, O'Neill (Shevlin 45)

Another embarrassing defeat, this time a 51 away defeat and I'm starting to consider my future at this club, the league is boring and we can't push on in Europe

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP G
St Patrick's Athletic 0-1 Manchester City

View attachment 106314
Murphy, Beattie, *****, Desmond, Field (Feely 84), Wilson, Parker (Shevlin 56), Reilly (Reeves 56), Morgan, Thompson, O'Neill

Another game against Man City another spirited performance, another penalty save and another goal just a minute later, this time in the last minute. Infuriating.

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 106313
6 games. 6 losses. 0 points. Very disappointing

I sighed as I sat down having made the short trek from my fridge to my desk, holding another can of cheap, unbranded, high volume foreign beer (some say the best kind). I looked around my flat at the basic surroundings that I'd grown accustomed to during my time in Dublin, a small kitchen/diner thing, an armchair, a few tables a television and a few to many beer cans strewn about the place.

Being a 25 year old man with a busy 24/7 job managing Ireland's biggest football team, I'd never had much time for cleaning which resulted in my cheap but homely flat resembling a teenager's bedroom, filled to the brim with beer, cheap food, anything football-related and certain, shall we say exotic, materials.

Having taken this all in, something I'd seen every day for the past 2 years but never really acknowledged I realised something. I was in a rut. Dublin had been good to me, and me to it, but it was time for a change, I'm a grown man yet I'm living like a student, I'm experiencing student life without the perks (i.e actually going to the university) and it sucked. I need a change of scenery.

I'd been applying for jobs throughout my time at St Patrick's and I'd had a few bites on my hypothetical rod, I mean fishing rod, but I'd been hesitant, I enjoy routine, and now it was time to break out of my mould, leave my Irish comfort zone and head off in search of work somewhere else, a new league perhaps? A new country? I could go to Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands, Scotland, anywhere! Anywhere with opportunity.

But then again, why should I do that? I live a decent life here in Dublin, I'm the manager of Ireland's best team, we dominate the league scene, batter teams left and right and it gives my certain stature here in Dublin. The nightlife is great, I'm of an age where the players and I form close bonds and go out together (It's an unconventional setup, I'll give you that) and we have a great laugh. If there's one thing Dublin's good for, it's that.

To add to my indecision, my contract's running out soon and the board are eager to give me a new one. I'm earning decent money here at St Patrick's, €1,700 per week which is €88,400 per year (€52,000 per year after tax), I could do a whole lot worse than that, and what if I leave and fail, what if nobody wants some cocky kid who thinks he's the dog's bollocks because he won a few things in Ireland?

But then, there's that ambition in me, sure I could stay here the rest of my life, win 50 Airtricity Premier League titles and never really test myself. Would I be here in Dublin or anywhere else for that matter 50 years from now and think "If only?". Am I a coward who stays here and just accepts life, or do I take a chance and see how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Tough call. A comfy job is nice to have, but where to go? If 2nd/3rd tier German teams are turning their noses up at you it will be hard! One or two more Irish years to build a little more rep? Maybe some CL games/wins?

Take the red pill and stay in wonderland and find out how deep the rabbit hole goes!

Better staying in a job and looking for new opportunity's, Most likely get a better job for your performances when other club managers leave for bigger things.

I'd stay a year or 2 more. Win more titles and get reputation up first!

View attachment 106230
HAWKINS RESIGNS
View attachment 106229
Some shocking news emerged from Dublin last night as St Patrick's Athletic announced that iconic manager Matthew Hawkins had left the club with less than a month to go on his contract

The Welshman, 25, has left less than a week following St Pats' gutting defeat to Manchester City that left them winless in Europe and left Hawkins contemplating his future with the Dublin club

During his three year stint at St Patrick's, Hawkins led the club to a 2nd placed finish and EA Sports Cup win in 2018, having taken over on the 14th of August having left Northern Irish club Loughgall, with whom he'd enjoyed great success over a period of two seasons

Following that Hawkins lead St Patrick's to three straight Airtricity Premier League titles, including two unbeaten seasons, two quintuples, two Champions League group stage appearances and a Europa League group stage and knockout appearances

He will surely go down as one of the greatest managers in St Patrick's history. Amazingly he lost just 22 of his 196 competitive matches as St Patrick's boss
View attachment 106227

He let "with a heavy heart" before telling the St Patrick's supporters in an open letter than he will "Forever be a St Patrick's fan"
View attachment 106228

Last edited:
24th of March, 2022Brentford, Watford, MK Dons, Dundee, Falkirk. Why are those 5 very different clubs important to me now? Did I apply for the jobs? Did they turn me down? No and no. Those 5 are now in fact the new homes of 5 of St Patrick's Athletic's greatest players.

I left St Patrick's on the 11th of December, and was back in Cardiff by Christmas and by the 31st of January 2022, a club I'd grown to love's soul had been ripped apart and sold for a total of €4.6m. Tony O'Neill - Brentford - €1.7m, Scott Wilson - Watford - €1.2m, Kevin Morgan - MK Dons - €875,000, Barry Keane - Dundee - €675,000 and Jake Reeves - Falkirk - €140,000. An absolute pittance for players who'd taken the club the furthest they'd ever been.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I chose the red pill and left. Sure we were dominating Ireland and I could have racked up trophy after trophy and become an Irish hero, but we'd never get anywhere in Europe. I felt that the board were one drink away from giving Tony O'Neill to Dundalk for a fiver and I just felt that I couldn't develop the club as well as I could have with the cloud of English clubs constantly over my head. I had to go.

And that is why I, 25 year old Matthew Hawkins, now find myself living in my old bedroom with my parents.

Turns out, not that many people are interested in some plucky kid who thinks he's the dog's bollocks because he beat AC Milan once with a bunch of chancers. No, they wanted established managers, Robert Huth beat me to one job I applied for, that hurt.

I'd made €275,000 from my 5 years in management and that is nowhere near enough for me to set up someplace else without guaranteed employment, so I've taken up my old schoolboy job of coaching kids on a Saturday morning at a football centre before refereeing in the night, decent money, enough for me to pay my way with, but nowhere near a full-time professional football team

I'd read off a rap sheet of clubs I'd applied for who didn't even interview me but that would just be too embarrassing. I've been turned down by some proper **** clubs.

Suddenly, I heard my ringtone, Show Me Magic if anyone was wondering, and leapt up to collect my phone. It was an unknown number from some foreign country, this is promising....

<span style="font-family:arial;"><font size="3">[video]https://youtu.be/d1siktyfFxY?t=2[/video]

sad you left but the reasons are completely reasonable, hopefully you get another job quickly and a decent one!

sad you left but the reasons are completely reasonable, hopefully you get another job quickly and a decent one!
Cheers mate :)

The job hunt was infuriating but I think I've found myself a decent club

Although the league rules will need some explaining...

View attachment 106212
MOUSCRON HIRE UNKNOWN
View attachment 106211
Royal Mousrcon-Peruwelz's prolonged search for a new manager has finally ended, with the club announcing that 25 year old Welshman Matthew Hawkins would be taking the reins until the end of the season, having signed a contract until June 2024

The club's plans were thrown into chaos when long serving manager Geln de Boek left after six years in the role to fill the vacant hotseat at KRC Genk, leaving Mouscron scrambling for a replacement to lead them into the European Places Playoff following a second placed finish in the Proximus League

Despite his young age, Hawkins has plenty of managerial experience, having taken village side Loughgall FC from the second division to Northern Irish champions in two seasons before leading Irish side St Patrick's Athletic to three successive Premier League titles and a famous Champions League victory over AC Milan

When asked of his plans for Mouscron, Hawkins responded with "Ou e la piscine"

Mouscron fans have reacted badly to the appointment by insulting Hawkins on social media
[video]https://youtu.be/A8yjNbcKkNY?t=60[/video]

Yes mate! Super Fury Animals! My favourite band. Have a like.

Good luck with the new club.

Incredible stuff mate just read all of this. Really intrigued to see how you get on at Mouscron

Cant believe that they sold all the players on the cheap! Suppose it shows the clubs ambitions

Back