[INSERT WITTY TITLE HERE] - A Journeyman Save

• Thread starter Thread starter TheLuckDuck
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 714
  • Views Views 349K
ooo exciting new job! I had to google them (other search engines are available) to find out where they were! Good luck!

ooo exciting new job! I had to google them (other search engines are available) to find out where they were! Good luck!
Cheers mate :)

I spent half of last night looking up the Belgian leagues. God they're confusing.

WHO ARE ROYAL MOUSCRON-PERUWELZ?
View attachment 106083

Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz are a Belgian professional football club currently plying their trade in the Proximus League, the second tier of Belgian football

The club were formed following a 2010 merger between R.E Mouscron and R.R.C Peruwelz although the club were founded in 1922, making this centenary year.

The club play their home games at the 10,571 capacity Stade Le Cannonier and possess great youth and training facilities. Their trophy cabinet contains just two trophies, the Derde Klasse A and a Provinciaal Henegouwen.

They finished 2nd in the Proximus League this season, which means they haven't qualified for the Promotion Playoff, but have qualified for the European Places Playoff. Strange.

THE SQUAD
View attachment 106082
View attachment 106081
Here they are, the men who would be kings. I've picked out a few of my favourites for your enjoyment

MERGIM VOJVODA
View attachment 106080
A very good right back and club captain is probably the perfect description for Mr. Vojvoda. He's injured at the moment but will be vital for us going forward

BENJAMIN VAN DURMEN
View attachment 106079
A solid centre back and, at 25, a fairly young one to boot, he will be part of what I hope will be a strong defence during my tenure here in Belgium. An academy product which makes me happy.

BRAM DE JONG
View attachment 106077
Another defender! This team is shaping up pretty nicely for an assault on promotion next season, another academy product, he has plenty of potential and is currently wanted by de Graafschap

LUKA PLESEC
View attachment 106075
Another decent youngster with potential! I'm liking the look of this guy, and, despite not normally playing with wingers this kid might persuade me, the Slovenian Under 21 international is a loanee but we do have a buyout clause of €236,00 should we wish to use it

JOHANN DAVID
View attachment 106074
Another academy product! This place is a talent factory and it makes me very excited. One of the philosophies agreed on during the interview was that I would develop young players and this place is making it easy for me!

TACTICS
View attachment 106073
We'll be looking to go with this when everyone is fit

FINANCES
View attachment 106069
Looking good

TABLES
View attachment 106072 View attachment 106071
I'm so confused

reading up a little about the belgian league would I be right in saying that table your in is a europa league playoff thing.

Competition format

The season comprises two separate competitions in which all 8 teams play each other twice. The winners of both competitions face each other in a two legged playoff with the winner promoted to the Belgian First Division A. The top three teams, excluding the promoted team, play together with the teams finishing in the positions 7 through 15 of the Belgian First Division A in a playoff for a ticket into the UEFA Europa League. The remaining four teams play a relegation playoff, with the last team relegating into the Belgian First Amateur Division.[citation needed]​
Jump up

scratch that ^ lol noticed there's only 6 teams. I'm even more confused haha

reading up a little about the belgian league would I be right in saying that table your in is a europa league playoff thing.

Competition format

The season comprises two separate competitions in which all 8 teams play each other twice. The winners of both competitions face each other in a two legged playoff with the winner promoted to the Belgian First Division A. The top three teams, excluding the promoted team, play together with the teams finishing in the positions 7 through 15 of the Belgian First Division A in a playoff for a ticket into the UEFA Europa League. The remaining four teams play a relegation playoff, with the last team relegating into the Belgian First Amateur Division.[citation needed]​
Jump up

scratch that ^ lol noticed there's only 6 teams. I'm even more confused haha
I think it's going to have to be a "learn on the job" situation for a while haha :P

So it was europa league playoffs lol, It's crazy how it works but think it's pretty simple to work out, Basically coming in first or second there's no real difference because you both play again for promotion in a playoff match if I read correctly also lol but who knows. Petty you got tanked but it is expected with they teams.

So it was europa league playoffs lol, It's crazy how it works but think it's pretty simple to work out, Basically coming in first or second there's no real difference because you both play again for promotion in a playoff match if I read correctly also lol but who knows. Petty you got tanked but it is expected with they teams.
It's mental :P

I never felt totally outclassed in any of the games, its just the other teams took their chances

Beer, Chips and Mayonnaise

6th of August 2022

I've been living in Belgium for a few months now and the club have been kind enough to put me up in a hotel while I try to cobble together enough money for a house. Belgium's a great country, we get along pretty well. As a country, they like similar things to me: Beer, mayonnaise and football. Not necessarily in that order.

I'll be the first to admit that, at first, it was pretty hard when I arrived here 5 months ago. I couldn't speak a word of French, I knew nobody AND we only won 2 of my first 10 games in charge.

Fortunately, since then, I've learned some French (I can now say 4-3-2-1 narrow in French, as well as "Get stuck into em"), made some friends AND we won a few games. Admittedly they were friendlies, but a 1-0 win away at Southampton, a 1-0 at home to Anderlecht and a 4-3 victory at home to VVV-Venlo raised spirits here in Mouscron

I also met the fans in a series of Q&A meetings around the town and surrounding areas (Mainly in pubs). I felt like I'd met all 58,000 inhabitants of Mouscron and all 17,000 of nearby Peruwelx by the time I'd finished. We got along pretty well (Beer, mayo, football, repeat) and I taught them a few British football chants, expect to hear "Rentboy, rentboy" and "Don't Take Me Home" from the terraces of Le Cannonier this season

Anyway, that's enough about me, we've got some important business to discuss, and that business is transfer business, drumroll please....

KARL GANNON - SHAMROCK ROVERS - €400,000
View attachment 105725
You didn't really think I wouldn't be returning to the Airtricity Premier League for some signings, did you? I reckon Belgium are ready for some of that 4-3-2-1 goodness and hat's what I plan on bringing them. Gannon will play an important role linking the midfield to the attack this season and I think he will prove to be wirth the money we paid

GAVIN DELANEY - ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC - €500,000
View attachment 105720
Back to my old stomping ground! I'd signed Delaney from Dundalk for €250,000 in my final season at St Patrick's and he was to become the backup to Kevin Morgan, this season he will be playing in the more advanced role alongside his compatriot Karl Gannon as we attempt to bring some Irish flavour to the Belgian second division

JAOUHAR ZAKAR - ES TUNIS €250,000
View attachment 105719
Having seen first team goalkeeper Anthony Dujardin concede 16 goals in 10 games last season, I decided we needed a change between the posts and I've found the perfect man. A current international with oodles of potential, Zakar had been on my radar since my days at St Patrick's but didn't want to go to Ireland. Fortunately the 16-time Tunisia international Zakar fancied Belgium and joins us in our assault on the league title

SAMSON ANYORA - ENUGU RANGERS - €250,000
View attachment 105718
Anyora, like Zakar had been on my radar for some time and, with an ageing strikerforce, I made my move, snapping up the young Nigerian for just €250,000. He's been lethal since breaking into the Enugu Rangers first team, scoring 31 goals in 49 league appearances and I hope he can replicate that here

ALAN - TUBIZE - €140,000
View attachment 105717
He says he's Brazilian but I don't believe him. With Chauke leaving as his loan spell ended we desperately needed a left-back, we looked in the division below and found little old Al at Tubize. He's pretty good and I hope he can add his experience to what is now quite a young team

LUKA STOJANOVIC - APOLLON LIMASSOL - FREE TRANSFER
View attachment 105713
To make the 4-3-2-1 system work, we needed a ball winner in the middle and we've found our man in Stojanovic. He's hard in the tackle, works hard and has experience with the likes of Sporting Lisbon and Patrizan Belgrade, he could prove to be the perfect fit

JON JONSSON - IPROTTABANDALAG AKRANESS - FREE TRANSFER
View attachment 105712
My time at St Patrick's proved I liked a god Icelander and I've grabbed another one here. Young, determined and, most importantly of all, good at football he adds some much needed depth at centre-back

MATTHEW SHEVLIN - FREE TRANSFER
View attachment 105711
When I saw his name on the free agents list I just had to get him. He's genuinely decent at this level and his pace means he's a good option to throw on at the end of the game. 71 goals in 175 games isn't a bad record either

LUKA OBLAK - TIGLAV KRANJ - FREE TRANSFER
View attachment 105710
20 years old and with 60 first team games under his belt already, Luka will prove to be a good backup option

TOMAS ARNASON - FREE TRANSFER
View attachment 105709
19 years old and already our best defender, Tomas could go far. He's also left footed and will be the perfect partner for his compatriot, Jonsson

That's it for now. Our first game is tomorrow and I have some nervous pacing to be getting on with

View attachment 105649
MASS EXODUS AT LE CANNONIER
View attachment 105648
The has been huge upheaval at Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz this summer, with nine, yes NINE players leaving for a total of €1.5m

The first player to leave was arguably the most controversial departure, with that being the sale of club captain Mergim Vojvoda to Ross County for €650,000

The Albanian international made 28 appearances in his time at Le Cannonier and was thought to be in Hawkins' plans for the upcoming season but that was soon dispelled as he was sold on the first day of the transfer window

The second must expensive departure was that of Matej Milnaric, who joined NK Maribor for €450,000

Milnaric, who only joined the club last summer, made 7 league appearances for Mouscron-Peruwelx before returning to his Slovenian homeland as Hawkins pursues a narrower formation

Possibly one of the most controversial departures was one on deadline day as star striker Michel Lallemand left the club for €170,000

The 29 year old Belgian has now joined KV Mechelen after making just 10 appearances last year, scoring 4 goals in what was a disappointing year for the big money signing
View attachment 105645

View attachment 105629
ROYAL MOUSCRON-PERUWELZ BRING IN REINFORCEMENTS
View attachment 105628
With the transfer window coming to a close, Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz manager Matthew Hawkins has acted, bringing in 3 players to strengthen his squad ahead of their Proximus League campaign

The first signing was that of Zeljko Ivkovic who's joined the club on a free transfer.

Ivkovic, 23, spent 6 seasons at Hrvatski Dragovoljac but never really broke into the first team, making just 17 league appearances

He has had more success on the international scene, however, making 13 appearances for Croatia Under-21s
View attachment 105627

The second signing was one of a more reputable player, with 33-year-old David Meyler joining on a free transfer

Meyler has been brought in to add depth and experience to a squad who's average age is just 25 and he brings a wealth of it to Belgium, with 29 caps for Ireland and 144 appearances in the Premier League for Sunderland and Hull City as well as 179 appearances in the Championship for Hull and Bournemouth
View attachment 105626

The final one was the only one who cost any money, with striker Luke Grieve coming in from St Patrick's Athletic for €550,000

Grieve, 19, never really broke into the first team after joining from Armagh City, for whom he scored 3 goals in 6 appearances, compared to the 5 appearances he made in the 4 years he spent at St Patrick's
View attachment 105625

AUGUST
View attachment 105562
My first full month in charge here at Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz. I'm nervous.

PROXIMUS LEAGUE FIRST PHASE
Beerschot-Wilrijk 0-1 Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz
View attachment 105557
Zakar, Tirpan, De Kegel, de Jong, Mestdagh (Beeldsnijder 84), Marquet, Stojanovic (Oblak 84), David, Delaney, Gannon, Anyora (Shevlin 60)

MATTHEW SHEVLIN! THEY BOY CAN'T SPEAK A WORD OF FRENCH BUT HE KNOWS WHERE THE GOAL IS! Often playing second fiddle for me in Ireland, hes really saved my bacon here in Belgium with a late winner against newly promoted Beerschot-Wilrijk!

Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 3-0 KSV Roeselare
View attachment 105556
Zakar, Tirpan, De Kegel, de Jong, Mestdagh (Beeldsnijder 45), Marquet (Oblak 87), Stojanovic, David, Delaney, Gannon (Shevlin 60), Anyora

That's more like it! A thumping 3 goal victory in our first home game of the season really sets us up for the coming campaign, with new signings Samson Anyora and Gavin Delaney both getting on the scoresheet

BELGIAN CUP FOURTH ROUND
Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 4-0 Francs Borains

View attachment 105555
Zakar, Tirpan, De Kegel, de Jong, Mestdagh, Oblak, Stojanovic (Goossens 45), Marquet, Delaney (Gannon 62), Cedres, Shevlin

A few fringe players came in today and comfortably beat our semi-professional opponents

BELGIAN CUP FIFTH ROUND
Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 5-2 KM Torhout

View attachment 105554
Zakar, Tirpan, Jonsson, de Jong (De Kegel 82), Mestadgh, Oblak, Stojanovic, David (Marquet 21), Delaney, Cedres, Shevlin (Lallemand 55)

More fringe players. More goals. Progression! We reached the semi finals of this competition last year and I want to at least repeat that this season

Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 2-0 KAS Eupen

View attachment 105553
Zakar, Tirpan, Van Durmen, de Jong (Arnason 65), Alan (Mestdagh 80), Marquet, Stojanovic, Vaccaro (Oblak 65), Delaney, Gannon, Anyora

Another victory, this time in the league as we register a comfortable 2 goal victory over promotion challengers Eupen

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 105552
A 100% record? Its like Ireland all over again!

Great to see someone take my home city's club.
Welcome in Mouscron ;-)

hope you a lot of success!

SEPTEMBER
View attachment 105361
We ended August with a 100% record. More of the same please!

Liege 0-3 Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz

View attachment 105358
Defourny, De Kegel, Van Durmen, de Jong, Alan, Marquet, Meyler (Ivkovic 63), Oblak, Cedres, Gannon, Shevlin
International call-ups meant we were a bit thin on the ground but we still got the job done as our fringe players beat Liege in style

Lierse SK 0-5 Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz

View attachment 105356
Zakar, De Kegel, Van Durmen, de Jong, Alan, Marquet (Vaccaro 80), Tirpan, Oblak, Delaney, Cedres, Anyora (Grieve 80)

Our first team were back and we battered Lierse as we smashed home 5 goals in the first half and left Lierse for dead. We eased up a bit in the second half and took pity on our hapless opponents

Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 1-0 Lommel United

View attachment 105355
Zakar, De Kegel (Stojanvoic 45), Van Durmen, de Jong, Alan, Marquet, Tirpan, Oblak, Delaney, Cedres (Gannon 58), Anyora (Shevlin 76)

A tight game where we took an absolute age to break them down. Fortunately we did and Michael Tirpan managed to bag a goal to keep our 100% record going

Cercle Brugge 0-2 Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz

View attachment 105350
Zakar, Tirpan, Van Durmen (Jonsson 75), de Jong, Alan, Marquet, Stojanovic, Oblak, Delaney, Cedres (Gannon 63), Anyora (Grieve 63)

21 shots. 12 on target. An immense away performance as we come away from home, dominate and take 3 points back with us

BELGIAN CUP SIXTH ROUND
Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 2-0 Royal Antwerp

View attachment 105349
Zakar, Tirpan, Van Durmen, de Jong, Alan, Marquet, Oblak, Stojanovic, Delaney, Cedres (Gannon 65), Anyora (Grieve 55)

A slow first half followed by an action packed second half as we ripped into Antwerp and fully deserved our goals, victory and passage to the Seventh Round

Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 1-2 Beerschot-Wilrijk

View attachment 105348
Zakar, Tirpan, De Kegel, de Jong, Alan, Marquet, Oblak, Stojanovic (Vaccaro 61), Delaney, Cedres (Gannon 61), Grieve (Shevlin 61)

Our first defeat of the season comes in the most heartbreaking fashion as we equalised late on only to concede with the final kick of the game

Royal Mouscron-Peruwelz 2-0 Lierse SK

View attachment 105347
Zakar, De Kegel, Van Durmen, de Jong, Alan, Marquet, Tirpan, Stojanovic, Delaney, Gannon, Grieve (Shevlin 66)

Not quite the 5-0 smashing from earlier on in the season but still worth the same amount of points as we still dominate against Lierse

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 105346
Top of the league and 9 points clear after just 9 games

Back