Iran agents 'planned US terror attacks'

I'm always rational. And I admit when I'm wrong, unlike someoneAnyway, I hope there's no truth in this article... But don't worry... nah I lost it.Stop posting so quick, I can't follow :(

Worryingly, seems there is. For it to go in the courts, and for it to be shown to the Saudis, there must be something in it, since it can be readily examined by anyone, rather than it being "secret evidence" they can make up.

Oh and if thats a jibe at me, im frequently wrong, only difference is that i can back up everything i said on the WW2 with evidence from both sides (again read the books i mentioned), you couldnt.

Kay. I have a working knowledge of the subject, but I think we can avoid further arguments in this thread, don't you? ;)
No problem. Situation was/is very complicated.
I agree with you guys on this one. I can't blame America for fight back.
Mike, do I need to take picture of my troll face now ;) ?

I find it particularly interesting that this is less about the US, and more about kiling the Saudi ambassador

Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Two Men Charged in Alleged Plot to Assassinate Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the United States

Two Men Charged in Alleged Plot to Assassinate Saudi Arabian Ambassador to the United States
WASHINGTON – Two individuals have been charged in New York for their alleged participation in a plot directed by elements of the Iranian government to murder the Saudi Ambassador to the United States with explosives while the Ambassador was in the United States.

The charges were announced by Attorney General Eric Holder; FBI Director Robert S. Mueller; Lisa Monaco, Assistant Attorney General for National Security; and Preet Bharara, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

A criminal complaint filed today in the Southern District of New York charges Manssor Arbabsiar, a 56-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen holding both Iranian and U.S. passports, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iran-based member of Iran’s Qods Force, which is a special operations unit of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) that is said to sponsor and promote terrorist activities abroad.

Both defendants are charged with conspiracy to murder a foreign official; conspiracy to engage in foreign travel and use of interstate and foreign commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire; conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction (explosives); and conspiracy to commit an act of international terrorism transcending national boundaries. Arbabsiar is further charged with an additional count of foreign travel and use of interstate and foreign commerce facilities in the commission of murder-for-hire.

Shakuri remains at large. Arbabsiar was arrested on Sept. 29, 2011, at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport and will make his initial appearance today before in federal court in Manhattan. He faces a maximum potential sentence of life in prison if convicted of all the charges.

“ The criminal complaint unsealed today exposes a deadly plot directed by factions of the Iranian government to assassinate a foreign Ambassador on U.S. soil with explosives,” said Attorney General Holder. “Through the diligent and coordinated efforts of our law enforcement and intelligence agencies, we were able to disrupt this plot before anyone was harmed. We will continue to investigate this matter vigorously and bring those who have violated any laws to justice.”

“The investigation leading to today’s charges illustrates both the challenges and complexities of the international threat environment, and our increased ability today to bring together the intelligence and law enforcement resources necessary to better identify and disrupt those threats, regardless of their origin,” said FBI Director Mueller.
“The disruption of this plot is a significant milestone that stems from months of hard work by our law enforcement and intelligence professionals,” said Assistant Attorney General Monaco. “I applaud the many agents, analysts and prosecutors who helped bring about today’s case.”
“As alleged, these defendants were part of a well-funded and pernicious plot that had, as its first priority, the assassination of the Saudi Ambassador to the United States, without care or concern for the mass casualties that would result from their planned attack,” said U.S. Attorney Bharara. “Today’s charges should make crystal clear that we will not let other countries use our soil as their battleground.”
The Alleged Plot

The criminal complaint alleges that, from the spring of 2011 to October 2011, Arbabsiar and his Iran-based co-conspirators, including Shakuri of the Qods Force, have been plotting the murder of the Saudi Ambassador to the United States. In furtherance of this conspiracy, Arbabsiar allegedly met on a number of occasions in Mexico with a DEA confidential source (CS-1) who has posed as an associate of a violent international drug trafficking cartel. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar arranged to hire CS-1 and CS-1’s purported accomplices to murder the Ambassador, and Shakuri and other Iran-based co-conspirators were aware of and approved the plan. With Shakuri’s approval, Arbabsiar has allegedly caused approximately $100,000 to be wired into a bank account in the United States as a down payment to CS-1 for the anticipated killing of the Ambassador, which was to take place in the United States.

According to the criminal complaint, the IRCG is an arm of the Iranian military that is composed of a number of branches, one of which is the Qods Force. The Qods Force conducts sensitive covert operations abroad, including terrorist attacks, assassinations and kidnappings, and is believed to sponsor attacks against Coalition Forces in Iraq. In October 2007, the U.S. Treasury Department designated the Qods Force for providing material support to the Taliban and other terrorist organizations.

The complaint alleges that Arbabsiar met with CS-1 in Mexico on May 24, 2011, where Arbabsiar inquired as to CS-1’s knowledge with respect to explosives and explained that he was interested in, among other things, attacking an embassy of Saudi Arabia. In response, CS-1 allegedly indicated that he was knowledgeable with respect to C-4 explosives. In June and July 2011, the complaint alleges, Arbabsiar returned to Mexico and held additional meetings with CS-1, where Arbabsiar explained that his associates in Iran had discussed a number of violent missions for CS-1 and his associates to perform, including the murder of the Ambassador.

$1.5 Million Fee for Alleged Assassination

In a July 14, 2011, meeting in Mexico, CS-1 allegedly told Arbabsiar that he would need to use four men to carry out the Ambassador’s murder and that his price for carrying out the murder was $1.5 million. Arbabsiar allegedly agreed and stated that the murder of the Ambassador should be handled first, before the execution of other attacks. Arbabsiar also allegedly indicated he and his associates had $100,000 in Iran to pay CS-1 as a first payment toward the assassination and discussed the manner in which that payment would be made.

During the same meeting, Arbabsiar allegedly described to CS-1 his cousin in Iran, who he said had requested that Arbabsiar find someone to carry out the Ambassador’s assassination. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar indicated that his cousin was a “big general” in the Iranian military; that he focuses on matters outside Iran and that he had taken certain unspecified actions related to a bombing in Iraq.

In a July 17, 2011, meeting in Mexico, CS-1 noted to Arbabsiar that one of his workers had already traveled to Washington, D.C., to surveill the Ambassador. CS-1 also raised the possibility of innocent bystander casualties. The complaint alleges that Arbabsiar made it clear that the assassination needed to go forward, despite mass casualties, telling CS-1, “They want that guy [the Ambassador] done [killed], if the hundred go with him f**k ‘em.” CS-1 and Arbabsiar allegedly discussed bombing a restaurant in the United States that the Ambassador frequented. When CS-1 noted that others could be killed in the attack, including U.S. senators who dine at the restaurant, Arbabsiar allegedly dismissed these concerns as “no big deal.”

On Aug. 1, and Aug. 9, 2011, with Shakuri’s approval, Arbabsiar allegedly caused two overseas wire transfers totaling approximately $100,000 to be sent to an FBI undercover account as a down payment for CS-1 to carry out the assassination. Later, Arbabsiar allegedly explained to CS-1 that he would provide the remainder of the $1.5 million after the assassination. On Sept. 20, 2011, CS-1 allegedly told Arbabsiar that the operation was ready and requested that Arbabsiar either pay one half of the agreed upon price ($1.5 million) for the murder or that Arbabsiar personally travel to Mexico as collateral for the final payment of the fee. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar agreed to travel to Mexico to guarantee final payment for the murder.

Arrest and Alleged Confession

On or about Sept. 28, 2011, Arbabsiar flew to Mexico. Arbabsiar was refused entry into Mexico by Mexican authorities and, according to Mexican law and international agreements; he was placed on a return flight destined for his last point of departure. On Sept. 29, 2011, Arbabsiar was arrested by federal agents during a flight layover at JFK International Airport in New York. Several hours after his arrest, Arbabsiar was advised of his Miranda rights and he agreed to waive those rights and speak with law enforcement agents. During a series of Mirandized interviews, Arbabsiar allegedly confessed to his participation in the murder plot.

According to the complaint, Arbabsiar also admitted to agents that, in connection with this plot, he was recruited, funded and directed by men he understood to be senior officials in Iran’s Qods Force. He allegedly said these Iranian officials were aware of and approved of the use of CS-1 in connection with the plot; as well as payments to CS-1; the means by which the Ambassador would be killed in the United States and the casualties that would likely result.

Arbabsiar allegedly told agents that his cousin, who he had long understood to be a senior member of the Qods Force, had approached him in the early spring of 2011 about recruiting narco-traffickers to kidnap the Ambassador. Arbabsiar told agents that he then met with the CS-1 in Mexico and discussed assassinating the Ambassador. According to the complaint, Arbabsiar said that, afterwards, he met several times in Iran with Shakuri and another senior Qods Force official, where he explained that the plan was to blow up a restaurant in the United States frequented by the Ambassador and that numerous bystanders could be killed, according to the complaint. The plan was allegedly approved by these officials.

In October 2011, according to the complaint, Arbabsiar made phone calls at the direction of law enforcement to Shakuri in Iran that were monitored. During these phone calls, Shakuri allegedly confirmed that Arbabsiar should move forward with the plot to murder the Ambassador and that he should accomplish the task as quickly as possible, stating on Oct. 5, 2011, “[j]ust do it quickly, it’s late . . .” The complaint alleges that Shakuri also told Arbabsiar that he would consult with his superiors about whether they would be willing to pay CS-1 additional money.

This investigation is being conducted by the FBI Houston Division and DEA Houston Division, with assistance from the FBI New York Joint Terrorism Task Force. The prosecution is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Glen Kopp and Edward Kim, of the Terrorism and International Narcotics Unit of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, with assistance from the Counterterrorism Section of the Justice Department’s National Security Division. The Office of International Affairs of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division and the U.S. State Department provided substantial assistance. We thank the government of Mexico for its close coordination and collaboration in this matter, and for its role in ensuring that the defendant was safely apprehended.

The charges contained in a criminal complaint are mere allegations and defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

Alleged Iran plot could have been trigger for war in Middle East
State-sponsored or a rogue act, the killing of Saudi ambassador in the US would have ensured the Middle East went up in flames
Iran-assassination-plot-c-007.jpg

The US case accuses the Quds Force of being behind the plot. If true, such an act would have required a direct order from Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, above. Photograph: Rouzbeh Jadidoleslam/AP

Whoever was behind the Washington plot was ready to start a war in the Middle East. The region is already on the brink of conflict over Iran's nuclear programme, with Israel increasingly twitchy over the progress Tehran is making towards a capacity to make nuclear weapons.

Leaked US State Department cables also make clear that the Saudi king, Abdullah, has repeatedly urged the US to "cut off the head of the snake" and attack Iran.
Against that backdrop, the assassination of the Saudi ambassador in Washington, with mass American casualties and perhaps an attack on the Israeli embassy too, would have ensured that the region went up in flames.
The US accuses the Quds Force (QF), the external operations wing of Iran's Revolutionary Guard, of being behind the plot. Given the hierarchy of the Iranian regime, such a huge undertaking would have required a direct order from the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who personally controls the QF.

Khamenei's involvement would be surprising, to say the least. Throughout his tenure – since the death of the Islamic republic's founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomenei in 1989 – he has shown himself to be highly cautious and devoted to entrenching the power of the clerical regime.
Meir Javendafar, an Iranian-Israeli, said: "Khamenei's first priority is regime stability, and then a distant second, safeguarding the nuclear programme."

One speculative explanation circulating on Tuesday night was that Khamenei feels so threatened by internal opposition that he would provoke a foreign attack to allow himself to strengthen his grip on the country. But the opposition Green movement is currently in abeyance, and the nuclear programme is advancing steadily with little threat of concerted international action, or much global support for an Israeli strike.

The plot is also out of character for the QF. The unit is well-funded and has considerable freedom of action abroad. It is suspected of involvement in the bombing of a Jewish community centre in Buenos Aires in 1994, the funding and arming of Hezbollah in Lebanon, of Shia militias in Iraq, and even the Taliban in Afghanistan. In 2008, the head of the QF, Kassim Suleimani sent the US commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus a message in which he said, according to Petraeus, that he controlled Iranian foreign policy in the region.

However, to extend those operations to US territory would represent a significant leap in scope and ambitions. The way the plot was conducted would also suggest that the ruthlessly efficiently QF had lost its touch, being clumsy enough to transfer money from accounts under its control directly to US bank accounts.
Robert Baer, a former CIA agent with long experience of observing the QF, said: "This stinks to holy ****. The Quds Force are very good. They don't sit down with people they don't know and make a plot. They use proxies and they are professional about it. If Kassim Suleimani was coming after you or me, we would be dead. This is totally uncharacteristic of them."

Another possibility is that this is a rogue operation, perhaps organised by a faction inside the QF, without the Supreme Leader's blessing. There is an argument that it suited the purposes of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who recently lost a bloodless power struggle with Khamenei.
If the attack succeeded, it would set in train events dramatic enough to turn the rigid, dusty hierarchy of the clerical republic on its head, giving Ahmadinejad the chance to seize the advantage.
Or the plotters could be fanatics inside the military establishment, bent on bringing the Revolutionary Guard to the top of the regime pyramid, beginning an open race to develop a nuclear weapon and confronting Israel directly.
"If this is a bunch of crazies, then anything is possible," Baer said.

All such possibilities are speculative. They would fundamentally reshape the Islamic Republic, and yet – for Iran experts – they are scarcely any more far-fetched that the idea that the Iranian establishment was behind a plot as brazen and reckless as this.
The thwarting of the plot almost certainly averted a conflict, but regional tension will escalate nevertheless. Any remote hope of resumed nuclear talks is dead for now. More sanctions and UN Security Council resolutions will be on the table instead.

Conceivably, that could break Khamenei's will to press on with the nuclear programme, and produce a compromise deal that defuses the threat of conflict.
Or it could just as plausibly convince him to accelerate the programme, persuaded that the regime's enemies are closing in. In that case, this extraordinary plot could yet succeed in sparking a new conflict in a very fragile region.

In all honesty, and with no intention of trolling and/or being disrespectful to anyone, I sense the sweet aroma of bullshit. Of course I can be wrong, but seriously, looking at it from the Iranian PoV it just looks suicidal, while from an american PoV it just seems like a logical step on their 'war on terror', 'modern imperialism', 'oil milking', 'arab whacking', 'Anti-muslim crusade', whatever you want to call it, depending on your stance on the subject. For all their fanatism I doubt the Iranian leadership is eager enough to meet Allah and their 40 promised virgins to risk such a move, knowing the chances of success were (and are) slim at best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this didn't happen at all, but the US may be trying to blow it a little out of proportion by linking it directly to the Iranian government in order to get a 'casus belli', or at least to further defame Iran, when it may have been a 'private' (To put a name to it) initiative.

PS - I'm a commie, you dirty fascist pigs!

In all honesty, and with no intention of trolling and/or being disrespectful to anyone, I sense the sweet aroma of bullshit. Of course I can be wrong, but seriously, looking at it from the Iranian PoV it just looks suicidal, while from an american PoV it just seems like a logical step on their 'war on terror', 'modern imperialism', 'oil milking', 'arab whacking', 'Anti-muslim crusade', whatever you want to call it, depending on your stance on the subject. For all their fanatism I doubt the Iranian leadership is eager enough to meet Allah and their 40 promised virgins to risk such a move, knowing the chances of success were (and are) slim at best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this didn't happen at all, but the US may be trying to blow it a little out of proportion by linking it directly to the Iranian government in order to get a 'casus belli', or at least to further defame Iran, when it may have been a 'private' (To put a name to it) initiative.

Be gone you Red menace!!!!!!! :p

I doubt the Iranian leadership is eager enough to meet Allah and their 40 promised virgins to risk such a move, knowing the chances of success were (and are) slim at best.

And I thought that's why they want to die... Of course it's suicidal.

Its a criminal trial, so all this can be analysed quite easily. The US dont need, or actually want a casus belli. Israel have a very itchy finger towards Iran, since Iran vowed to wipe them off the face of the Earth. The simple truth is the he works for Quds Force. Now either he has gone rogue, or he is following a chain of command. The former is a case of terrorism, the latter is an attempted attack by one sovereign state on another (well two if you count the Saudi's since the ambassador was the actual target), and thats a case for war.

This is an interesting bit from the article: However, to extend those operations to US territory would represent a significant leap in scope and ambitions. The way the plot was conducted would also suggest that the ruthlessly efficiently QF had lost its touch, being clumsy enough to transfer money from accounts under its control directly to US bank accounts.

Robert Baer, a former CIA agent with long experience of observing the QF, said: "This stinks to holy ****. The Quds Force are very good. They don't sit down with people they don't know and make a plot. They use proxies and they are professional about it. If Kassim Suleimani was coming after you or me, we would be dead. This is totally uncharacteristic of them."

I'm with this one. ****, the Iranians are crazy, but they're not this dumb. Anyway, I can probably find my ol' links finding some Goldman Sachs guys "predicting" a war by 2012 in the Middle East.

I'm with this one. ****, the Iranians are crazy, but they're not this dumb. Anyway, I can probably find my ol' links finding some Goldman Sachs guys "predicting" a war by 2012 in the Middle East.

I personally think its someone gone rogue, because it's nuts beyond belief. Also involving the mexican cartel? Bizarre

Strongly agree. Could hardly but this better myself.

As for the other chaps that called me ignorant,dumbs, communist, please take a deep breath and try to do a real moronic thing that I have the habit of doing.
THINKING.

Did I say I did? God, you guys and assuming things. And because of a rant I got insults, the worst part is that they're fake, if they were real, that's one thing... But I can do so much more than ranting, but I'd be called a paranoid.

Did I say I did? God, you guys and assuming things. And because of a rant I got insults, the worst part is that they're fake, if they were real, that's one thing... But I can do so much more than ranting, but I'd be called a paranoid.

Wow, I wouldn't call you paranoid .. id call you thick :)

Well that's a progress ;) .

You are thick. You are paranoid. But most strikingly.......you are incredibly ill informed. I have no further wish to give you the pleasure which you desire, which is to wind people up. for what reason, I have no idea.

Now, I have nothing more to say to you, as it would be wasting precious oxygen, so on behalf of intelligent people.........go and do one please.

Now, I have nothing more to say to you, as it would be wasting precious oxygen, so on behalf of intelligent people.........go and do one please.

Just pointing out that typing in words isn't actually using up any oxygen. Just sayin'. ;) ​ajt you thicko

Just pointing out that typing in words isn't actually using up any oxygen. Just sayin'. ;) ​ajt you thicko

Typing uses muscles. Muscles need oxygen to work. So you use oxygen to type. Just sayin'. ;) It's k, Wales has just reduced your ability to think.