Is it time to relieve arsene wenger of his duties

First of all, PLEASE learn to spell.

Secondly - Why do we need two new CBs? And why does one have to be English? Read my other posts and then dig yourself a hole, please.

Same goes for keepers - love how people criticise them after they've actually played pretty well.

Arshavin is capable of moments of magic and when he's in form, he's a superb player. Theo Walcott is far more than just pace, and even if he isn't, I'm happy so long as he's scoring goals.

Oh dear! We have Nasri who's really good!...

Wilshere won't play on the right - it would have been a temporary stop-gap so he got experience, but he doesn't need that now.

You need a NEW cb. Without a shadow of a doubt. Djouro is a good player, but it reliable for an spell out each season, whilst Tommy V is a great player, but we need a squad. Squalli is *****.

You could do with an more experience keeper.... These lads whilst talented are young, so will cost you matches/ trophies, they arent ready for the big stage.

Arshavin is not what he was, He is capable of that moment of magic, but do you really have the ability to carry him for 89 minutes, in games?

Lets face it Arsenal could solve the majority of their problems with one purchase. I know some have said centre backs are fine but whose going to play there now that you've got injuries?

Buy a World Class CB who can lead the team and inspire them and problems are pretty much solved.

No Wenger shouldn't be sacked. He will leave when he is ready. Yes 6 years is a long time for a top team to go without a trophy but he has built a good team that stands a chance of being really successful in the years to come.

The best captain material in the side would be Vermalen when fit, or Almunia.
Why would you give the captaincy to a guy who is only getting games because the two ahead of him are injured?

We don't need a new keeper, Szczesny and Fabianski are fine.
We could do with another CB in the Djourou mould and to add some depth in case of a horror injury crisis.
And we do NOT need to let Wenger go, he is one of the best managers around. Who would replace him?

You need a NEW cb. Without a shadow of a doubt. Djouro is a good player, but it reliable for an spell out each season, whilst Tommy V is a great player, but we need a squad. Squalli is *****.

You could do with an more experience keeper.... These lads whilst talented are young, so will cost you matches/ trophies, they arent ready for the big stage.

Arshavin is not what he was, He is capable of that moment of magic, but do you really have the ability to carry him for 89 minutes, in games?

You miss Koscielny out completely. Djourou is now injured for the rest of the season btw, but before now had been available for most of the season. He's been superb this season, especially recently.

TV5 is a superb player as well. I've made a point before about having a squad, and which teams actually have 4 CBs who are actually all good: Utd have Vidic, Ferdinand and Smalling (Who is still young), beyond that - it's pretty shaky as seen vs Liverpool - Arsenal got past the defence several times today as well, but we couldn't take chances.

Chelsea have Terry, Alex (Who I don't rate that much defensively), Ivanovic (who's better at RB by some way) and Luiz (Who looks very good) and then have Bruma who's young and inexperienced.

We don't expect 3 of our 4 FT defenders to get injured, I think having 4 is good enough, though maybe Squillaci isn't.

Agree vaguely on the GK thing. Still think they're up to it when not injured, personally (See Szczesny's performance in the big games this season).

Arshavin isn't what he was, of course. But when he's in-form, he's unplayable a lot of the time - he showed glimpses of that a couple of weeks ago, but he lacks consistency, I agree - much like Rooney does, for example. Every team has players like that.

Re future: you talk a lot about what some of the players will be able to, rather than what they can do.

my piont is that united have been poor defensive away from home, so its not the strongest case saying you are better than that,

I don't think I do, particularly. Wilshere is the one I talk about in the future, because he's so good now, and because of his attitude on the pitch.

That doesn't really matter, though. I'm not saying Arsenal have been better away from home, I'm saying overall, our defence has been better than yours this season as proved by the stats that show we have conceded less goals.

We can defend at home, we can defend away from home.

I don't think he should go.

He is a sensational manager and has developed and planted Arsenal's philosophy for years to come, I think he's a tactical genius, but unfortunately some players he has signed don't match the teams ambition.

The current CB's are woeful and I think although chamakh is a good player, he's not the right type of player for Arsenal.

Look how good Van Persie is for Arsenal, imagine pairing him up top with Hulk for example.

2 wonderfully talented powerhouses to finish the beautiful football that goes on the pitch before it reaches them.

I think he needs to change his ambition in the transfer market and I'm sure Arsenal will take that next step.

First of all, PLEASE learn to spell.

Secondly - Why do we need two new CBs? And why does one have to be English? Read my other posts and then dig yourself a hole, please.

Same goes for keepers - love how people criticise them after they've actually played pretty well.

Arshavin is capable of moments of magic and when he's in form, he's a superb player. Theo Walcott is far more than just pace, and even if he isn't, I'm happy so long as he's scoring goals.

Oh dear! We have Nasri who's really good!...

Wilshere won't play on the right - it would have been a temporary stop-gap so he got experience, but he doesn't need that now.

Ok.Im sorry for my bad spelling.I am slightly dyslexic(Not actually classed as having it,I just have a problem with it).
Ok they dont have to be English but from what ive seen and in my opinion some of the best defenders in the league and in the world are English.
Yere defenders arnt all that good.Koscilney is getting better Djouro is Ok.Vermaelan is injured and squillaci is terrible.
In my opionion it wud be better if ye sold Arshavin and got someone better.Arshavin can go missing in matches.Walcott has more that pace ill give u that but he has no brain(Hansen said this.)He shoots when its better to pass and passes when its better to shoot.(tho in my opinon he is seems to be sorting that this season.I think Almunia is just inconsistent and Fabianski is back up at best.Schzeskney is quite good tho.Yes Nasri is good and I notice u didnt correct me on Rosickey.
Also I will once again apologise for my spelling.Also alot of the type I will just shorten words so they look wrong when Im typing.

You miss Koscielny out completely. Djourou is now injured for the rest of the season btw, but before now had been available for most of the season. He's been superb this season, especially recently.

TV5 is a superb player as well. I've made a point before about having a squad, and which teams actually have 4 CBs who are actually all good: Utd have Vidic, Ferdinand and Smalling (Who is still young), beyond that - it's pretty shaky as seen vs Liverpool - Arsenal got past the defence several times today as well, but we couldn't take chances.

Chelsea have Terry, Alex (Who I don't rate that much defensively), Ivanovic (who's better at RB by some way) and Luiz (Who looks very good) and then have Bruma who's young and inexperienced.

We don't expect 3 of our 4 FT defenders to get injured, I think having 4 is good enough, though maybe Squillaci isn't.

Agree vaguely on the GK thing. Still think they're up to it when not injured, personally (See Szczesny's performance in the big games this season).

Arshavin isn't what he was, of course. But when he's in-form, he's unplayable a lot of the time - he showed glimpses of that a couple of weeks ago, but he lacks consistency, I agree - much like Rooney does, for example. Every team has players like that.

I missed him out, because he isnt a problem...? United have Rio and Vidc, Smalling, Evans( has been out for nearly 2 months now) O'shea and Brown. Now they did look shakey against Liverpool, but that was Suarez, meireles and Kuyt at there best, You would expect most teams 5th choice defender to look average. i mean more for the games against mid table opposition, i would back uniteds back up defenders more then i would arsenals.

Arshavin is losing his place in the team. It is like he has lost interest in arsenal, which is where he differs to wayne i think.

Why would you give the captaincy to a guy who is only getting games because the two ahead of him are injured?

I wouldnt pick him ahead of shezza or fabianski in goal, but for captain material i think he would be ok. He is constantly trying to do better, constnatly trying to drive the team on to do better...

These are precisely the things always thrown at Arsenal and the things I addressed before.

I won't talk about an experienced/proven CB, just look at our defensive record this season and our performances against Barcelona in particular to see that our CBs are actually pretty good.

Yes, they're good, but to reach the next level I think Arsenal need to improve in that area. When compared to Vidic/Ferdinand, or Terry/Luiz, I think Arsenal's defence is still lacking slightly. From what I've seen (you may be more knowledgeable than me about this, I don't watch them every week) neither centre back appears to be particularly commanding or shows lots of leadership. Other teams challenging for the title have more experience and leadership at the back I feel. Against Barcelona, you were camped in your own half for most of either leg (I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, I feel it is the way to play against Barcelona. Added to this I also wanted Arsenal to win, so I look favourably upon their performance :)) and the defensive midfielder in either leg offered a lot of cover to the centre backs which made their night marginally easier. Still an impressive performance though, but one good match can't really tell us much about the standard of the partnership.

You can look at their defensive record, but it doesn't tell everything. Arsenal obviously have far more possession than the opposition, which I think is the major factor behind the lack of goals conceded, rather than the centre backs. I just get the sense that errors are not too far away when the centrebacks are present, and that they don't completely fill me with confidence.

Bendtner is still only 22 and has scored some very important goals. OK, he's not as good as Van Persie and we could do with better backup, but we've also signed Chamakh for free, who had a great first half of the season and is finding form again now.

We might disagree on Bendtner then. I just don't rate him as a forward really. I think RVP is an exceptional talent when fit, but there aren't many suitable options otherwise. Chamakh is a good Plan B when Arsenal want to mix it up a bit, but I think they could do with another player more suited to their style when you consider RVP's unfortunate injury record. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I think a big signing up front (Fabiano? Benzema? Nilmar? Okay, most are terribly unrealistic but you get the gist :p) would do wonders for Arsenal's game.

What's inconsistent about our keepers? Fabianski was never rated, then came into real form until his unfortunate injury. I don't think that's inconsistency, I think that's improvement. Szczesny has hardly made a mistake (bar Brum, every keeper is allowed one) and has been superb.

Almunia isn't very good, and isn't consistent but to say all three of them are is a push too far.

Fabianski is inconsistent. No denying that, he's made some horrendous errors in his time in front of goal, and has picked up nicknames accordingly. Real problems handling crosses which means any delivery close to the keeper is a threat. Having quite a few disasters and letting in dreadful goals makes him inconsistent by my reckoning.

You've accepted Almunia isn't consistent, and I agree on that.

With Szczesny, I've probably been a bit harsh. Maybe inconsistent isn't the right word, as he hasn't had enough time to prove himself either way. Time will tell whether he steps up to the plate and recent performances have been encouraging - Birmingham game aside. I just think it's placing a lot of faith in an unproven goalkeeper at such a high level to expect him to reproduce consistently impressive performances at the moment. Fair enough Wenger wants to develop him as a player (which I admire - it's good to see managers trying to bring new players though) but for a top club you'd expect there to be another high quality goalkeeper to share the burden. Akinfeev strikes me as a decent target.

Anyway, I'm off now so won't be able to reply for a while. If you fancy replying I'll try to get back to you sometime tomorrow. The tone of my reply will depend on a certain rugby match! ;)

If we sacked him I think some of the players would have something to say about it...

But we shouldn't anyway. He's a fantastic manager, he just really needs to realise that he needs to spend a little more - not massive amounts, just more than what he does. He also needs to stop having faith in players like Rosicky who has been absolutely ****** terrible the whole season. Bendtner is better than him on the wing. :/

We need a new CB definitely, can't believe Djourou is injured for the rest of the season, Squillaci is so so so terrible. I'd rather play Miquel tbh. I can't believe Arsene didn't at least loan a CB for the rest of the season in January.

We need a new winger as well to rotate or cover Nasri and Walcott, really. Rosicky is terrible and Arshavin inconsistent and both will probably leave the club soon. Hopefully Hazard does come in during the Summer, would be perfect.

But if Fabregas leaves then it's a whole new story..

If we sacked him I think some of the players would have something to say about it...

But we shouldn't anyway. He's a fantastic manager, he just really needs to realise that he needs to spend a little more - not massive amounts, just more than what he does. He also needs to stop having faith in players like Rosicky who has been absolutely ****** terrible the whole season. Bendtner is better than him on the wing. :/

We need a new CB definitely, can't believe Djourou is injured for the rest of the season, Squillaci is so so so terrible. I'd rather play Miquel tbh. I can't believe Arsene didn't at least loan a CB for the rest of the season in January.

We need a new winger as well to rotate or cover Nasri and Walcott, really. Rosicky is terrible and Arshavin inconsistent and both will probably leave the club soon. Hopefully Hazard does come in during the Summer, would be perfect.

But if Fabregas leaves then it's a whole new story..
I think you just wrote what I said but with better spelling. :p
I totally agree.

Absolutelly not.

Arsene should only leave the club when he decides so by himself.

its hard to think of another manager that could replace arsene wenger. financially, most managers would struggle to cope with the pressure of delivering champions league football season after season with very limited funds. from 2003 - 2011, arsenal are placed 18th in the transfer league table making an average of 350k per season. compare that to man utd (6m) chelsea (48m) man city (46m) liverpool (12m) or even tottenham (16m) and you can start to understand how difficult the mans job really is. especially when you consider fernando torres has just cost chelsea about the same as it cost arsenal for their first 11.

Wenger shouldn't be sacked at all. I know that he is stubborn with transfers and isn't the best when it comes to tactics, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be sacked. All he needs is a good assistant manager that can convince him to spend on already-great players rather than youngsters with potential and could give him some advices/assists when it comes to tactical battles.

thats why its funny when pople say they need to buy 20m players if they are going to win anything, then in the next breath say they could do with a new gk, cb and st. hmmmm. alot of 20m's going on there. where does one pull that cash from..

It would be ridiculous to sack Wenger, because in my opinion, it is only a matter of time before Arsenal win a trophy.

We saw yesterday against Manchester United how Arsenal lacked any penetration despite a decent performance. All they need is one player to hold the ball up and knock it through to Van Persie.

Wenger is an excellent, but stubborn manager but you can't sack a man who has brought Arsenal so far over these last 15 years.

13 years changes the response really. If he had been there six years and not won a single trophy for 5 years then yes he would be gone. But given his 13 years, loyalty both by him to Arsenal and Arsenal to him, you just cant sack some one like that.

And secondly who could Arsenal get of the same loyalty and stature as him? (there are two managers in that category one Sir Alex and to Wenger) for these two rerasons he will choose when and who replace him at Arsenal. and being a United fan i relish th seasons run in even more now!

Yes, they're good, but to reach the next level I think Arsenal need to improve in that area. When compared to Vidic/Ferdinand, or Terry/Luiz, I think Arsenal's defence is still lacking slightly. From what I've seen (you may be more knowledgeable than me about this, I don't watch them every week) neither centre back appears to be particularly commanding or shows lots of leadership. Other teams challenging for the title have more experience and leadership at the back I feel. Against Barcelona, you were camped in your own half for most of either leg (I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, I feel it is the way to play against Barcelona. Added to this I also wanted Arsenal to win, so I look favourably upon their performance :)) and the defensive midfielder in either leg offered a lot of cover to the centre backs which made their night marginally easier. Still an impressive performance though, but one good match can't really tell us much about the standard of the partnership.

Neither CB is particularly commanding, no, but the whole team has a good understanding & we generally don't sit back and try to soak up pressure like Utd did yesterday so there's not a whole lot of point in them being commanding a lot of the time. If we're under pressure, they have a good understanding, cover for each other and defend as a unit. At the start of the season there was communication issues all the time - At the Stadium of Light for e.g. Clichy kicked it against Kos and Bent tapped it in, + we conceded a lot of goals from set pieces, but that's improving and Szczesny isn't afraid to shout (I'm ignoring the howler against Brum).

I don't think we were camped in our half at the Emirates, we let them have the ball and they did jack all with most of the time - like Utd did to us, but we weren't trying to contain them and park the bus like we did at the Camp Nou.

You can look at their defensive record, but it doesn't tell everything. Arsenal obviously have far more possession than the opposition, which I think is the major factor behind the lack of goals conceded, rather than the centre backs. I just get the sense that errors are not too far away when the centrebacks are present, and that they don't completely fill me with confidence.

Arsenal have most of the possession, but especially from counter-attacks, there's always a danger of us conceding and both CBs cut out a lot of passes and are perfectly adept at making last ditch challenges - see Barcelona games for the perfect example of this.

I think you're making generalisations based on players like Squillaci, and the performances of Koscielny at the start of the season. Defence isn't our issue, IMO - Yes, we could do with a Tony Adams or a Sol Campbell to lead from the back and generally be a rock, but in terms of raw defensive ability, I'm confident our top 3 CBs can do the job when not injured.

We might disagree on Bendtner then. I just don't rate him as a forward really. I think RVP is an exceptional talent when fit, but there aren't many suitable options otherwise. Chamakh is a good Plan B when Arsenal want to mix it up a bit, but I think they could do with another player more suited to their style when you consider RVP's unfortunate injury record. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I think a big signing up front (Fabiano? Benzema? Nilmar? Okay, most are terribly unrealistic but you get the gist :p) would do wonders for Arsenal's game.

Nono - I don't think he's up to the level of RvP, but he's an important player because of the knack of scoring important goals and bringing something different to the side, whether it be a little trick like against Ipswich in the CC Semi, or a header against Stoke. He's not as bad as everyone makes out is all I'm saying.

None of those 3 will happen - Benzema is finding form, Mou won't want to sell another ST when he's been struggling all season with not having enough and only has Barndoor as a replacement for Higuain.

Nilmar is just completely unrealistic, he's not the kind of striker Arsenal would look at and thrives in a league that isn't really that good.

Fabiano has just gone to Sao Paolo, and a big Target Man isn't exactly Arsenal's style.

Fabianski is inconsistent. No denying that, he's made some horrendous errors in his time in front of goal, and has picked up nicknames accordingly. Real problems handling crosses which means any delivery close to the keeper is a threat. Having quite a few disasters and letting in dreadful goals makes him inconsistent by my reckoning.

Fabianski was straight up poor most of the time before this season, then he came in for Almunia, made a mistake vs Newcastle and Spurs (for which he was replaced in the CC by Szczesny) & then came into real form and was brilliant. I don't think it's inconsistency, but going from poor, to pretty good over a season given time and help, and the threat of Szczesny pinching his spot.

You've accepted Almunia isn't consistent, and I agree on that.

Yup.

With Szczesny, I've probably been a bit harsh. Maybe inconsistent isn't the right word, as he hasn't had enough time to prove himself either way. Time will tell whether he steps up to the plate and recent performances have been encouraging - Birmingham game aside. I just think it's placing a lot of faith in an unproven goalkeeper at such a high level to expect him to reproduce consistently impressive performances at the moment. Fair enough Wenger wants to develop him as a player (which I admire - it's good to see managers trying to bring new players though) but for a top club you'd expect there to be another high quality goalkeeper to share the burden. Akinfeev strikes me as a decent target.

It is risky, but I think a player like him thrives in big games, and when he's under pressure. He was superb at OT in December, then at the Emirates vs Barca, when everyone was wondering whether we should give Almunia the shirt on a temporary basis.

You do have a point about sharing the burden - it's not what most people say tbh, a lot of people assume it's Football Manager and we can just buy Adler for £20m and be done with it. Akinfeev is unrealistic as well, he'd cost too much.

It will be interesting to see who AW goes for on an emergency loan :)

Anyway, I'm off now so won't be able to reply for a while. If you fancy replying I'll try to get back to you sometime tomorrow. The tone of my reply will depend on a certain rugby match! ;)

ENGERLAND!

this guy, jamespir, is fake football fan. guess what, sacking AW is a big mistake by arsenal chairman, and will not happen.
i remember a year ago, George Graham , former gunner manager, saying that if AW get sack, big teams are up for him.

think before u post.

im not at all im just old enough unlike some to have a opinion and a discussion on a subject without insults