Is it time to relieve arsene wenger of his duties

He doesn't need to step down, he needs to spend some money or he will get no where, he is a great manager nonetheless

this guy, jamespir, is fake football fan. guess what, sacking AW is a big mistake by arsenal chairman, and will not happen.
i remember a year ago, George Graham , former gunner manager, saying that if AW get sack, big teams are up for him.

think before u post.

this guy, jamespir, is fake football fan. guess what, sacking AW is a big mistake by arsenal chairman, and will not happen.
i remember a year ago, George Graham , former gunner manager, saying that if AW get sack, big teams are up for him.

think before u post.

He is entitled to his opinion. No need to call him a fake football fan.

I don't think he should be relieved of his duties. He's helped Arsenal come a long way using far less money than his counterparts, and has created a side that consistently finish in the top 4 and progress far into the Champions League every season.

However I do think there are some issues that need to be addressed. Sometimes the man is too stubborn at sticking to his own policy. Youth is continually brought through, and each generation of players have never fully reached the heights expected. The team lacks a natural captain/leader, which holds them back mentally and can partly be attributed to their lack of trophies. Fabregas will never be this figure. I also think Wenger sticks to his financial prudence too strongly. Sometimes teams need to make major investments to boost a squad. The team is crying out for a consistently excellent goalkeeper (the current ones are too inconsistent in my opinion) and possibly an experienced and proven centre back. Another option up front instead of just RVP may be beneficial too, I really don't think Bendtner is good enough at the highest level. If this isn't done I can see their trophy drought lasting for a lot longer.

I don't think he should be relieved of his duties. He's helped Arsenal come a long way using far less money than his counterparts, and has created a side that consistently finish in the top 4 and progress far into the Champions League every season.

However I do think there are some issues that need to be addressed. Sometimes the man is too stubborn at sticking to his own policy. Youth is continually brought through, and each generation of players have never fully reached the heights expected. The team lacks a natural captain/leader, which holds them back mentally and can partly be attributed to their lack of trophies. Fabregas will never be this figure. I also think Wenger sticks to his financial prudence too strongly. Sometimes teams need to make major investments to boost a squad. The team is crying out for a consistently excellent goalkeeper (the current ones are too inconsistent in my opinion) and possibly an experienced and proven centre back. Another option up front instead of just RVP may be beneficial too, I really don't think Bendtner is good enough at the highest level. If this isn't done I can see their trophy drought lasting for a lot longer.
and this is the difference between them being an excellent top 4 side, and a genuine trophy challenging (and winning) side

Most sensible post I've read on this so far.

all that said, you are still too far on one side, and that is reflected in the lack of trophies, we are talking about a signing or two each season, we are talking about a 2 signings total. its easy to say bring a leader from within, how thats worked out in the last 6 years? You dont need to come from within to be a leader, take a look at our current captain

Im not sure you can even say you've answered your critics becuase the same thing has repeated itself, time and time again

To be fair, it wasn't really directed as you as much as me just having enough of ignoring it all. People are always saying in such a naive way that Wenger needs to go out and spend £50m on a proven 30 goal a season ST or something without actually realising it's not that easy...

Tbf, Vidic has been at Utd for a while but isn't necessarily as much of a leader as Scholes, or Ferdinand whilst he's undoubtedly influential and a superb player. My point is that most of the best captains/leaders/whatever have come from within the club or have been there for a long time, especially at Arsenal. Tony Adams is the best example of this, and if Wilshere can turn out to be like that (whilst obviously playing in his own position), he can both be a brilliant player and a leader - against Utd you could see him trying to pull the strings off the ball, telling players where to go etc.

I think we have answered our critics. There was a time when we'd go to Stoke, or to Wolves, or wherever, and we'd really struggle while now we've adapted when we play them and can beat them regularly.

Our defence has been hugely criticised, along with GKing and look at the records/stats - our defence has actually been better than Utds this season, despite what everyone thinks.

I agree Arsenal often don't have a Plan B against the big teams, but I definitely think a lot of it is psychological, which isn't necessarily (entirely) AW's fault.

I dont think AW shud be sacked but it wudnt be the worse thing in the world.They need something new.He is stuck in his ways.He shud buy two decent Cbs and prob english one and a keeper but he insists on strenghtening an already strong midfield.Tho he cud do with a knew winger.Rosickey is just terrible and Arshavin is getting old.That leaves Walcott who is really just pace and Nasri who is really good.Tho Wilshere VP and Bendtner can all be played there.They are not really wingers.

Sometimes teams need to make major investments to boost a squad. The team is crying out for a consistently excellent goalkeeper (the current ones are too inconsistent in my opinion) and possibly an experienced and proven centre back. Another option up front instead of just RVP may be beneficial too, I really don't think Bendtner is good enough at the highest level. If this isn't done I can see their trophy drought lasting for a lot longer.

These are precisely the things always thrown at Arsenal and the things I addressed before.

I won't talk about an experienced/proven CB, just look at our defensive record this season and our performances against Barcelona in particular to see that our CBs are actually pretty good.

Bendtner is still only 22 and has scored some very important goals. OK, he's not as good as Van Persie and we could do with better backup, but we've also signed Chamakh for free, who had a great first half of the season and is finding form again now.

What's inconsistent about our keepers? Fabianski was never rated, then came into real form until his unfortunate injury. I don't think that's inconsistency, I think that's improvement. Szczesny has hardly made a mistake (bar Brum, every keeper is allowed one) and has been superb.

Almunia isn't very good, and isn't consistent but to say all three of them are is a push too far.

I dont think AW shud be sacked but it wudnt be the worse thing in the world.They need something new.He is stuck in his ways.He shud buy two decent Cbs and prob english one and a keeper but he insists on strenghtening an already strong midfield.Tho he cud do with a knew winger.Rosickey is just terrible and Arshavin is getting old.That leaves Walcott who is really just pace and Nasri who is really good.Tho Wilshere VP and Bendtner can all be played there.They are not really wingers.

to be honest, buying an english CB shouldn't come into it. You buy whatever makes your side stronger and better to be honest

To be fair, it wasn't really directed as you as much as me just having enough of ignoring it all. People are always saying in such a naive way that Wenger needs to go out and spend £50m on a proven 30 goal a season ST or something without actually realising it's not that easy...

Tbf, Vidic has been at Utd for a while but isn't necessarily as much of a leader as Scholes, or Ferdinand whilst he's undoubtedly influential and a superb player. My point is that most of the best captains/leaders/whatever have come from within the club or have been there for a long time, especially at Arsenal. Tony Adams is the best example of this, and if Wilshere can turn out to be like that (whilst obviously playing in his own position), he can both be a brilliant player and a leader - against Utd you could see him trying to pull the strings off the ball, telling players where to go etc.

I think we have answered our critics. There was a time when we'd go to Stoke, or to Wolves, or wherever, and we'd really struggle while now we've adapted when we play them and can beat them regularly.

Our defence has been hugely criticised, along with GKing and look at the records/stats - our defence has actually been better than Utds this season, despite what everyone thinks.

I agree Arsenal often don't have a Plan B against the big teams, but I definitely think a lot of it is psychological, which isn't necessarily (entirely) AW's fault.
Vidic is certainly more of a leader than scholes is, much more. watch him during the game, he commands our back line, he and rio bark orders constanty, pointing left and right to get players in line. watch gerrard, terry carragher, they all do the same, and even when they are nt playing to well, they will find a way to encourage others to pick their game up. that is the player you have lacked since vieira, and it shows

you are confusing leader with playmaker i feel.

wilshere could potentially be a captain for the future, perhaps in 5 years time. what about now?

saying your defence is better goal stats wise than united isnt saying much considering how bad we have been away from home

you cannot keep always looking to the future, if you want to win titles and trpohies you must look to the present too

First of all, PLEASE learn to spell.

Secondly - Why do we need two new CBs? And why does one have to be English? Read my other posts and then dig yourself a hole, please.

Same goes for keepers - love how people criticise them after they've actually played pretty well.

Arshavin is capable of moments of magic and when he's in form, he's a superb player. Theo Walcott is far more than just pace, and even if he isn't, I'm happy so long as he's scoring goals.

Oh dear! We have Nasri who's really good!...

Wilshere won't play on the right - it would have been a temporary stop-gap so he got experience, but he doesn't need that now.

Vidic is certainly more of a leader than scholes is, much more. watch him during the game, he commands our back line, he and rio bark orders constanty, pointing left and right to get players in line. watch gerrard, terry carragher, they all do the same, and even when they are nt playing to well, they will find a way to encourage others to pick their game up. that is the player you have lacked since vieira, and it shows

wilshere could potentially be a captain for the future, perhaps in 5 years time. what about now?

saying your defence is better goal stats wise than united isnt saying much considering how bad we have been away from home

you cannot keep always looking to the future, if you want to win titles and trpohies you must look to the present too

The best captain material in the side would be Vermalen when fit, or Almunia. Contraversial and outspoken I know, but they are both vocal players who give it there all. I just dont think Fabregas has it. he is an awesome player, but not a captain. He is just a player in an armband really

Fair enough about Vidic and Scholes. Agree about Vieira.

I'm not at all, just made a wrongful assumption =)

We can't make a 19 YO captain. He still lacks experience however good he's been.. All I'm saying is that he is a good player who gives 200% every game and has the potential to be more than just a good player.

Not really - you have to defend away from home, too... It's no good only being able to defend at Old Trafford. Both sides have had injury problems too.

I'm not always looking at the future. I agree that we need to look to the present, too. I don't know where I've said ignore the present and focus on the future, or what that's based on tbh.

The best captain material in the side would be Vermalen when fit, or Almunia. Contraversial and outspoken I know, but they are both vocal players who give it there all. I just dont think Fabregas has it. he is an awesome player, but not a captain. He is just a player in an armband really

Almunia would be shocking.

The only reason he ever gets the arm band is because he's experienced. He lacks communication and can't organise his defence properly.

Fair enough about Vidic and Scholes. Agree about Vieira.

I'm not at all, just made a wrongful assumption =)

We can't make a 19 YO captain. He still lacks experience however good he's been.. All I'm saying is that he is a good player who gives 200% every game and has the potential to be more than just a good player.

Not really - you have to defend away from home, too... It's no good only being able to defend at Old Trafford. Both sides have had injury problems too.

I'm not always looking at the future. I agree that we need to look to the present, too. I don't know where I've said ignore the present and focus on the future, or what that's based on tbh.
Re future: you talk a lot about what some of the players will be able to, rather than what they can do.

my piont is that united have been poor defensive away from home, so its not the strongest case saying you are better than that,