Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySams10

Reaction score
It's all about ME...
by Streaky25

MP_0018262.jpg

" Remember lads, good habits and if we can't be positive, be patient. Enjoy it out there " I said to my team as we prepared ourselves for the first of four games, that we would be facing in the group stage of the English Schools' FA Football Festival.
The Festival is held annually on the Isle of Wight, which involves a total of 16 under 14 representative sides including a local side from the island. Each team plays four games in four days, with the winning team from each group going through to a semi final, which is swiftly followed by the final on the same day.

The team I will be managing in the tournament is a side made up of 'Gifted and Talented' players from a private school, Stroud School, in Hampshire, where I work as their Sports Development Manager.
Before accepting my new role, I was working in various schools delivering curriculum P.E lessons throughout Hampshire and working very closely with a semi-professional team, coaching players from under 8 right through to the under 18s. I currently hold FA Level 1 and 2 coaching badges, along with the newly introduced FA Youth Module levels 1 & 2 and I'm currently waiting to take my Level 3, so I have a very detailed and in-depth coaching portfolio which allows me to coach Elite players.

Despite being the only school present at the festival, we gained a very creditable draw with East Cowes U14s on the first day after trailing 2-0 at half time. Midfielder Jacob Allen scored the first and last goals of our reply in the second half, while Joel Trudgeon netted a 20 yard free kick, making the final score 3-3.
In our second game the following day we lost 3-0 to Barnsley, who fielded several Barnsley FC Academy players and we faced the same situation when we played against Havant & Waterlooville U14s, who included players from the Portsmouth FC Academy, that had travelled to the island on the third day. Though this time the performance and score line was much more rewarding, as we were only beat by a single goal to nil.
On the fourth and final day we had our best performance when we played the team topping our group, Salisbury City. They were unbeaten and already qualified and as we were already out and had nothing to play for it allowed us to play with much more freedom and confidence which resulted in us winning 2-1.

" Well played Andy, I was very impressed with how you set your side up to play against us and you thoroughly deserved the win." Neil Benson, the Salisbury City Head of Youth said, as we were exchanging the post match handshakes. " Thank You, I appreciate that and it's nice receiving compliments about something I'm so passionate about. " I responded in a shocked voice. Having been around the grassroots football scene for a while now, Neil Benson isn't the sort of person who gives out praise easily, as it's normally him thinking he's the best at everything, so to hear his positive words and get the genuine feeling he meant it, brought a wry smile to my face.

As we made our way over to the tents that were supplying food for the participants, Neil began talking. " Andy, I'd like you to meet Darrell Clarke, who's Salisbury City's First Team Manager. " I took a quick glance over my shoulder in the direction that Neil was beckoning someone over and was then introduced to Salisbury's Manager. " Hi, I'm Darrell. " said a slim, yet well built man. " You must be Andy, I've heard many positive things about you! " He continued. During the slight pause, I was frantically trying to piece together who he may know or what he had been told. " Don't worry, nothing bad. In fact it's all good what I've been told, so you don't need to worry. " Darrell chuckled, as he took a sip from his coffee, before being interrupted by a parent of one of the boys that play for the Under 14s. With Darrell now walking over to where the rest of the Salisbury parents had set up camp, I was left on my own with Neil and as I was just about to make an excuse, as to why I had to leave, Neil struck up another conversation. " That's a shame Darrell had to go that quick, he was going to ask if you would be interested in working with our Under 18s on a temporary basis? " Neil asked, on behalf of Darrell Clarke. " Yes I'd be very happy to work with the Under 18s " I immediately answered.
Since leaving the grassroots club I had been working with before I started work at Stroud School, I was looking to get back to working with a club and with the Salisbury City First Team currently playing in the Blue Square South, this opportunity will allow me to gain more experience working alongside more elite players, which will only benefit me in the long run and help me achieve any plans I have of becoming a manager.

Hi All, Following a couple of failed stories lately, I'm really keen to get a long term save and story going and after looking back through previous stories I've written that have received a lot of comments and feedback, I noticed I received them when I did a story based on myself and my own coaching pathway, so I've decided to follow that route again.
:D
I really need your help in making this story last, as I thrive on your comments and feedback to give me that extra buzz to write and update the story, so I would be delighted if you guys could leave feedback/comments when appropriate to help me make this story one of my best.
The story will be based around me, my current work and then will include when I take over a club and their successes and failures, plus I will be asking for your advice if any job offers come up, as to whether I should accept or decline the offer.

I'm playing with the official latest patch 13.3.3, my experience is set as Semi-Professional, as that's what level I have played and also the level I coach at currently, so I've made it as realistic as possible. The leagues I've loaded are English, French, German, Dutch and Spanish.
Finally I hope you will all enjoy my story and will find the time to leave positive or negative comments. Thanks.
:)

*** NEXT UPDATE WILL FOLLOW SOON ***

images

Salisbury City Youth Under 18s

Following the football festival on the Isle of Wight and now being back to work on the main land, the time had come for my first session with Salisbury City Under 18s at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium, so after a bowl of chicken pasta for my dinner, I got in my car and headed to Wiltshire to meet Neil Benson and the rest of the coaching staff.

NEIL BENSON: " Welcome Andy, tonight you will be working with myself, but before we begin I'll
introduce you to the other backroom staff that work here. "

ME:
" That would be good, thanks. "

With the introductions out the way, I followed Neil towards the training area and started to help him set up for the session he was putting on tonight for the Under 18s.

NEIL: " It will be a passing and receiving session tonight, where we'll start off working inside the
30 x 30 box, before introducing it into a small sided game later. All you will do is have an observing role
and hopefully you will pick up some points. "

ME:
" Okay, well if you need anything during the session let me know. "

After driving nearly 45 minutes, only to be told I'd be having a watching brief left me feeling very disappointed inside, but knowing how Neil Benson works, it was hardly surprising that he'd want to be at the centre of everything, so I made myself comfortable in the make shift stand and started to make the odd note here and there. As I was just about to scribble another few words down in my note pad, a man wandered over to Neil Benson and after a quick word left again without breaking stride and disappeared into the main stand opposite where I was sat.

NEIL BENSON: " ANDY......Need you to come and take over from me. "

As soon as I heard those words, I jumped up from my seat, hurdled over the remaining rows that were in front of me and headed out onto the training pitch to pick up from where Neil had left off, before he had to rush inside. While the session was underway, I couldn't help but think what was going on inside the stadium and who the mystery man was that spoke to Neil while I was sat scribbling away moments earlier.
Though I only took the last 15 minutes of the session, I felt really pleased with how I delivered the session and was delighted with how the players reacted to me and my coaching style. After I sent the players off to the changing room, I started to wander around a pick up the equipment, when out the corner of my eye I noticed Neil, Darrell Clarke and the man who currently has no name, shaking hands, before he went back inside and Neil and Darrell headed off towards the car park with their bags.

After picking up the cones and poles that I had been using, I headed over to the changing rooms to put the equipment away in the store cupboard, when the man I saw earlier with Neil and Darrell approached me.

MYSTERY MAN: " Hello there, Andy I assume? "

ME: " Yes that's me. "

MYSTERY MAN: " Don't look so puzzled, I'm William. William Harrison-Allan, Chairman of Salisbury City
Football Club. Very nice to meet you. "

ME: " And you. I saw you earlier and wondered who you were, so it's good to put a name to the face. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Darrell and Neil have told me about you and both have spoken very highly
about yourself and how you go about your coaching. "

ME: " Thank You, well I'm very passionate about my football and just want to impress and challenge
myself at every level. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Well that's good to know. Now I can't say too much about what has been going on tonight, but
how would you feel about taking control of the Under 18sfor their remaining 2 games? "

ME: " Of course I'd be delighted too, but what about Neil? "

MR HARRISON-BROWN: " That's great, here are the remaining games..........** Ring Ring **..........Ah I must
take this call Andy, we will speak soon. "

I finished off packing away the equipment and made my way over to where my car was parked, feeling very happy with the opportunity I've been presented with and the chance to put all the practise and knowledge I've learnt over the past few years into action in the remaining games for the Under 18s. But on the other hand I'm also really intrigued why I have been give this chance and what is happening with the futures of Darrell Clarke and Neil Benson.

The next morning I was back working with the Year 5 'Gifted and Talented' players at Stroud School, when during a short drinks break, the reception lady made her way over to where myself and the group of players were situated. " Andy, there's a phone call for you at the office. " She said before quickly hurrying back in, as it started to rain. As I started to jog over to the entrance of the school building, where the phone call was waiting, I couldn't for the life of me think who would possibly be calling me on the school number, as most people will contact me through my mobile.

ME: " Hello. "

CALLER: " Hi Andy, It's Mr Harrison-Allan, I didn't have any contact numbers for you, but remember Neil
Benson telling me you worked at Stroud School. I would like to meet up with you later if possible? It's to
do with a new role for you within the club! Are you free about 6pm? "

ME: " That's ok, Yes I can meet you at the ground later. Is it to do with Darrell and Neil?. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " That's wonderful news. I can't say anymore until we meet face to face.
See you later then. Bye. "

ME: " Bye. "

With the heavy rain coming down outside, I met back up with the group I was coaching in the Sports Hall and finished the remainder of the session with a mini tournament before their lunch break.
That afternoon, I didn't have any coaching, so I spent it looking through various sports websites and on social media sites seeing if there was any news on the futures of Darrell Clarke and Neil Benson. A couple of hours passed and I still couldn't find anything regarding the duo's future and with time moving on, I collected my stuff and made my way towards my car, before setting off to meet the Salisbury Chairman at the clubs' ground where hopefully he will explain what's happened.
As I was making my way along the A36 listening to Radio Wiltshire, they headed over to the sports desk for some breaking news.....

images

SPORTS REPORTER: " I have some breaking news just reaching us here at the sports
desk regarding the future of Salisbury City Manager Darrell Clarke.
The club have released this statement on their official website: The club can confirm that
First Team Manager Darrell Clarke and Youth Team Manager Neil Benson have left the club to
take up similar roles at Hayes and Yeading.
The club would like to wish both Darrell and Neil all the best for the future.
As yet there has been no official comment from Salisbury City, but early reports are suggesting
Assistant Manager Mikey Harris will take the reins for the start of pre-season. "

I had just pulled into the clubs' car park, as soon as the news had ended and after parking up, I made my way inside to look for MrHarrison- Allan, so we could discuss this opportunity he mentioned on the phone earlier.

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Andy, please come in and take a seat.
I'm sure you have heard the news by now? "

ME: " Yes I've just listened to it on the radio. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Well that news is why I've asked you here. I know you are going to be
looking after the Under 18s, but I would like you to assist Mikey Harris on match days for the
first team. Mikey will be in charge for pre-season, while I decided who is best to take this club
forward and match the ambitions myself and the board are keen on achieving. "

ME: " That's great news, I'd be very happy to help out with the first team. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Good stuff, I'll let Mikey know you're keen and will get him to contact
you, so we can focus on preparing for the new season. And I'll see you here tomorrow
for your first Under 18 friendly game. Thanks Andy. "

ME: " No worries, yeah, see you tomorrow. "

On the way home everything slowly started to sink in, I had gone from coaching an Under 14s side at a football festival on the Isle of Wight to Under 18s Manager and First Team Assistant at Salisbury City, all in a matter of a few days. Though everything has happened so quickly and probably faster than I'd ever dreamed of, I knew this was a great opportunity for me to show what capabilities I have, which could eventually lead me to having enough experience to one day becoming a manager myself.

Cracking story so far, very detailed. Will be reading, keep it up

13737.png

SALISBURY CITY UNDER 18s UP AND RUNNING

images

Salisbury City FC Under 18s got their pre-season campaign underway this evening with a fine 3 - 1 victory over Blackfield and Langley Under 18s.

Despite having to make a 60 mile round trip to Fawley in Hampshire, Salisbury City Under 18s produced a very fine performance which is sure to have pleased new Manager Andy Samuels who was taking charge of his first game.
Salisbury started brightly and with only 4 minutes played Max Fisher's half volley just missed the top corner. They kept plugging away and a great double save by the home keeper kept the score level. Then, completely against the run of play Blackfield took the lead, when there forward latched on to a loose ball and fired the ball into the corner of the net. That set back spurred Salisbury on even more and despite their continuous onslaught on the Blackfield goal, they couldn't find the equaliser before half time.

Samuels made a few changes at half time and it paid dividends, as substitute Shaun Betteridge chased a ball into the penalty area and was bundled over, leaving Alex Tarr to slot home from the spot to level the score.
In the 59th minute a Josh de Silva corner was met by Rob Bennett at the far post, who headed back into the area where Adam Fisher out jumped everyone and put Salisbury in front.
Blackfield changed things around after going behind and despite the odd attack, the Salisbury defence held firm and with 8 minutes to go, Salisbury won themselves another penalty and the ever reliable Alex Tarr converted to make the game safe and grab his second goal of the game.

After the game Salisbury City's Under 18 Manager Andy Samuels was genuinely delighted with the performance he'd witnessed in his opening pre-season game in charge. " Yes I'm very happy with the way the players approached this game. We went with a new formation and style of play and the lads adapted to it very well. But it's only one game and we must make sure we keep working hard in training and keep showing the same standards and effort levels in the competitive games. "

Samuels will now be switching his attentions to the Salisbury City First Team, where he has been recently appointed the Assistant Manager to work alongside Mikey Harris, as they begin their pre-season in the next few days.

nice story so far so hows this work you going to start with the kids and work your way up?

nice story so far so hows this work you going to start with the kids and work your way up?

Yeah, going to let Assistant Manager take control, then see what happens in pre season and work story around that. Haven't even played first day on game yet, as am enjoying setting the scene and background for you guys to enjoy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.