Status
Not open for further replies.
For the second evening running I made my way to the Raymond McEnhill stadium, but this time in my role of Assistant Manager of the First Team. After arriving at the ground, I headed into the home dressing room to meet Mikey Harris, who has been appointed First Team Manager on a temporary basis.
With the welcome formalities out the way, it was time for me to go and set up the warm up area before the players started to arrive, as Mikey Harris wanted me alongside him in the dressing room, to greet the players and introduce myself to them, before going through the tactics and individual roles for each player and allow them to prepare for the friendly game against Chippenham Town.

13737.png

SALISBURY CITY DISAPPOINT IN FRIENDLY GAME

images

Temporary Manager Mikey Harris got his managerial career off to the worst possible start, as the Blue Square South outfit were beaten 2 - 1 at home to Evo Stik Premier Division side Chippenham Town.

Following the departure of Darrell Clarke, 'The Whites' supporters were keen to see how rookie Manager Mikey Harris would fare in his first game in charge and for the majority of the crowd they went home very disappointed after a very poor and disjointed game, left some fans wondering if Harris is the right man to take the club forward.

The hosts did start brightly and took the lead in the early stages when Jamie White opened the scoring after 10 minutes. Salisbury broke on the counter attack, and White played a clever one-two with Theo Lewis and he tapped the ball into the net past the outstretched arms of the visitors keeper.
And Jamie White was then denied a huge chance to double City's lead from the spot, when he was wrestled to the floor by the Chippenham defender, but the referee shook his head and waved play on.

The decision was a turning point and played a significant part in what happened next. The visitors picked up the loose ball and made their way towards the Salisbury area, Zak de Souza beat left back Callum Hart and swung in a dangerous cross that was met by the left boot of Alastair Blandford who equalised for the away side.

With both sides going in level at the break and it was a chance for Harris to motivate his players to show more in the second half, but the home crowd were left rubbing their eyes as Chippenham took the lead just 2 minutes after the re-start. It was Zak de Souza again involved, this time his fierce right footed effort was spilled by City keeper Mark Scott and Chippenham forward Ricky Hodder was on hand to roll the ball over the line and complete a remarkable comeback.

Despite their being a large portion of the game remaining, Salisbury looked bereft of ideas to try and get back into the game and even after numerous substitutions they couldn't muster a single shot at goal that would've earned them a lucky draw.
After the final whistle, a few boos were heard from a small section of Salisbury fans, as the players trudged off, but City Manager Mikey Harris remained positive. " It's not an ideal start, but there has been a lot of change recently at the club. Despite the result I saw some positives that is plaeasing, but there is room for improvement and those areas will be worked on in training during the week. "

The Whites next friendly is against NPower League Two side AFC Wimbledon and with the Under 18s having a friendly on the same night, Harris will be left on his own in the home dugout and he will be hoping for a reaction from his players, as he attempts to prove to Chairman William Harrison-Allan he is the right man to take the club forward

After the post match cool down and de-briefing with the players, I said goodbye to Mikey Harris and made my way to the car to start my journey back home. With my house being in Hampshire, it gave me a good half an hour to re-assess the game I just sat and watched. One thing that was very clear to me, was although Mikey is highly regarded at Salisbury City, he is lacking the tactical knowledge and ways of motivating the players, that most good managers have, that allows the players to express themselves more through confidence and self belief, which ultimately brings results on the pitch.
As I pulled up onto my drive, it made me start to wonder whether Mikey is cut out for a role as a Manager or maybe he is better suited at being a Coach or Assistant. Either way the next couple of weeks will be very interesting with Chairman Mr Harrison-Allan wanting someone in place before the start of the season, in the hope the new man in charge can bring success to his club and look to seal a second successive promotion.

images

During the next week I spent making numerous trips back and forth from Hampshire, where I live, to Wiltshire for training and matches with the Under 18s and the First Team, as we started to approach the start of the season.

Salisbury City Under 18s - Friendly
Saturday 28th July 2012
Sherfield English

Salisbury City Under 18s (2 - 0) Winchester City Under 18s
de Silva(2)

Salisbury City Under 18s kept their unbeaten pre-season run going and continued to impress under Manager Andy Samuels, as they ran out easy winners on a hot sunny July afternoon.

Both sides went in level at half time and that was despite numerous chances created by either side. The best chance fell to Salisbury's Alex Tarr, who after good work by Max Fisher, Tarr broke free of the Winchester offside trap and found himself one on one with the keeper, but after rounding the on-rushing keeper, he shot wide from a tight angle with the goal wide open.

Samuels kept faith with the side that ended the first half and his decision paid off, when in the 55th minute, Josh de Souza opened the scoring with a superb 20 yard volley. And de Souza then grabbed his second and the final goal off the game with a sublime solo effort, running from the edge of his own area, then beating four Winchester players before chipping the keeper with a deft lob from just inside the penalty area.

After the game Salisbury Manager And
y Samuels was over the moon with his sides performance. " It's a wonderful feeling watching these young lads play the football they did today. And with them continuing to show the same desire and by training hard throughout the year, we might soon be seeing some of them in and around the First Team. "

13737.png

POOR PERFORMANCE ADDS TO SALISBURY WOES

images

NPower League Two side AFC Wimbledon showed their class this afternoon, as they powered past a disappointing Salisbury City side at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium with a convincing 4 - 0 win, as the Wiltshire side slumped to their second successive pre-season defeat.

AFC Wimbledon dominated for large periods of the first half and thanks to some very sloppy defending by their opponents, 'The Dons' went in at the break with a comfortable 3 - 0 lead. Jack Midson grabbed a brace inside the first 15 minutes of the game, to leave the Salisbury players looked completely shell shocked. Things got worse for 'The Whites' when young defender James Clarke put the ball into his own net.

The second half was very much the same as the first, with the Salisbury goal coming under continuous attack from numerous shots from all angles, as AFC Wimbledon continued there complete domination.
Though there was only one more goal in the second half scored by AFC Wimbledon's Peter Sweeney, the Salisbury City supporters will be anxiously hoping that their team can drastically improve or Chairman William Harrison-Allan will have a difficult decision to make.

With yet more grumblings from the Salisbury supporters, Manager Mikey Harris tried to stay positive. " Today wasn't great and though the opposition are in a higher league than ourselves, they have kept the same personnel that got them through the lower leagues, so I was hoping for a much closer game and a reaction from the lads, who have been in high spirits during training. We will keep working hard and try to improve on our performances. "

stadium24-300x207.gif

After the AFC Wimbledon result and the reaction by some supporters at the final whistle, Manager Mikey Harris decided to call an emergency meeting the following day, to be held at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium, with the First Team players and also invited myself along, though I wasn't present at the game, to discuss the recent performances.

MIKEY HARRIS: " Thanks for coming lads, I know it's a Sunday, but we need to discuss our recent
performances, especially with the expectations we have for this season. I feel the best way to start this
meeting is for you guys to share your feelings and thoughts! "

CHRIS GILES(captain): Well Gaffer, we know we have great ability and talent in the squad, but that alone,
won't win us matches, we need to all pull together and work hard in training. "

MIKEY HARRIS: " I agree Gilesy, not much has changed regarding the playing staff. So I find
it hard to see why we aren't playing the way I know we can. "

RICKY WELLARD: " Though I agree with Gilesy, we are lacking some direction boss, we just seem to
turn up and play. When things go wrong during the game, no-one takes the responsibility from the dugout
to change things or motivate us. When I was at AFC Wimbledon, we knew we had confidence in the
management team to help us through any situation. "

MIKEY HARRIS: " I can't argue there Ricky, but I've been an Assistant Manager, so I'm getting used
to the difference between that role and what's expected of a Manager. "

RICKY WELLARD: " It's just my opinion boss, not having a go, just sometimes people are suited for
one role and not another. "

CHRIS GILES: " Maybe Rick has a point. You're very highly regarded in the lower leagues as a top
Assistant Gaffer, maybe we need another change? "

*** Chairman William Harrison-Allan enters the dresssing room ***

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Hi lads. Sorry I couldn't make the start. How's it been going? "

MIKEY HARRIS: " We're just getting a few things out in the open Mr Harrison-Allan. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN:
" Okay, so what's been said? "

ME: " A few of the lads have said maybe Mikey is best suited as an Assistant and maybe
we lack that little bit of motivation and direction from the bench during games. "

MIKEY HARRIS: " Maybe they are right, someone people are meant to manage and maybe I'm more
suited to be an Assistant. "

CHRIS GILES: " I'm sure I speak for the rest of the lads here, that all want the same, that's to be successful. And
whether it's Mikey or someone else to take this club forward, we will strive to meet the expectations that are
expected from the board and the fans. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " That's very interesting to here, but pleasing that we can discuss these situations
like adults. With the new season only a week away and one friendly left, it hasn't left me with much time to
replace Mikey. So Mikey, you may have to stay put until myself and the board can draw up a list of
candidates, then go through the interview process before we can appoint someone new. "

MIKEY HARRIS: " If I'm honest Mr Harrison-Allan, I don't think I can carry on in the role, the pressure of
meeting such expectations is something I know I can't deliver. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Great, so have you got any other suggestions who can take over then? "

ME: " I'll do it. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " I know the Under 18s have been impressing lately since you took over, but I'm not sure
it's the right move at the moment!! "

CHRIS GILES: " With all due respect Mr Chairman, if Mikey doesn't want to carry on, then can't Andy take the
reins until the interview process is over? We need to get this sorted or the season would've started and we
will be playing catch up! "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Fair point. What do the rest of you think? "

JAMIE WHITE: " I'm happy, I just want to play football and help take this club forward. "

STUART SINCLAIR: " It's a big risk, but if there's no-one else, it's the only choice we have. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Right, Andy you will take charge of First Team affairs, until myself and the board
have found a more suitable candidate to take over and Mikey will revert back to his old role of Assistant
Manager. "

ME: " Ok, I'm happy with that. Right lads, see you Tuesday for training. "

With the players having left the meeting and heading off to enjoy the rest of their weekend, I stayed behind with the Chairman and discussed how my contract would work and what was expected over the coming months.

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " I won't keep you long Andy. Your contract will be for two months and then we'll
see where we stand, but in the mean time I will be actively looking for a more permanent Manager. "

ME: " I understand that, but I'll be making sure you've appointed the right person for the job and I'm
him. I'm looking forward to it and will repay your faith in me, by improving our performances
and most importantly the results on the pitch. "

13737.png

ALL CHANGE AGAIN AT SALISBURY!

Mikey-Harris-150x225.jpg

Following an emergency team meeting that took place at Salisbury City's Raymond McEnhill Stadium yesterday afternoon, Mikey Harris has stood down as First Team Manager with immediate effect.

Having only been in charge of First Team affairs for little over two weeks, Harris has decided management isn't for him after a torrid start to his reign. With the start of the new season just ten days away, Chairman William Harrison-Allan has decided to relieve Mikey Harris as Manager of the First Team and re-appoint him in his old role of Assistant Manager, in the hope the club can start the new Blue Square South season full of confidence following two dreadful performances in pre-season, left fans concerned that the team will not be prepared for a promotion challenge.

Rookie Andy Samuels, who has been looking after the Under 18s and previously held the Assistant Manager role under Mikey Harris, has been placed in temporary charge by Chairman William Harrison-Allan, who is full of praise for the unknown 32 year old.

" Andy has shown exceptional talent since he has been coaching the Under 18s. Though I feel it's a little early
in his short career for him to become Manager on a long term basis, I'm very confident he will provide
the stability we need, while we look for a more experienced person to come in. "

Samuels, who has taken leave from his job as Sports Development Manager to fufill his new position, has good knowledge of non-league football having played 10 years at a semi-professional level and is keen on impressing and showing the Salisbury City Chairman that he is the right man for the job on a more permanent basis.

" I understand it's a big risk that the Chairman is taking, but it's an opportunity I'm going
to take and will strive to show the Chairman I can take the club in the direction he wants and
to trust me with a more permanent role. "

With another Manager appointed in barely less than two months, the Salisbury fans will be hoping it's third time lucky. And they will be able to see Andy Samuels' first game in charge, when Salisbury City face Hemel Hempsted in their final pre-season friendly tomorrow night at the Vauxhall Ground.

images

SALISBURY CITY
(SEASON 1)

13737.png

SALISBURY WIN AT LAST

images

Salisbury City finally got a win in their last pre season game, when they beat Hemel Hempstead 1 - 0 at the Vauxhall Ground this afternoon.

The Whites made a strong start to the game, in what was Andy Samuels' first game in charge, since taking over on a temporary basis from Mikey Harris. Chris McPhee had a few early chances, including a strong penalty claim ruled to be just outside the area.

Salisbury grew more and more confident as the half went on and strung together numerous fluid passing moves, but with the missing Jamie White, Salisbury lacked that natural instinct in front of goal.

After the break the visitors stepped up the pressure, with Theo Lewis, Elliot Frear and Ricky Wellard all having promising efforts, but the hosts kept their discipline, determined to settle for a point.

With a goalless draw looking inevitable, Salisbury Captain Chris Giles popped up in the 84th minute to produce a late winner and seal a first win in charge for the inexperienced Samuels.

" I'm very pleased with the reaction the lads showed today after a difficult week. Hopefully we can now
kick on and start getting more promising performances like we did today. "

Up next for the Salisbury Manager is the usual press conference, where he will be unveiled in front of the local media tomorrow at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium, before preparing his team for the opening league game the following weekend.

nice win there and all it took was a kid to tell some grown man what to do

images

August 2012

As we headed back to Wiltshire from Hemel Hempstead on the team coach, I started to make a few notes on certain areas I felt needed improving, not only on the pitch, but maybe more importantly on the coaching staff, where I wanted some experience around me, to help me through the first few weeks and allow me to settle into my new role better. With a few names scribbled down and still over an hour away from getting back to the ground, I called the Chairman to seek permission for me to get in contact with the coaches I was keen on bringing in. And after a quick chat with Mr Harrison-Allan about todays game, he gave me the go-ahead to start discussions with the two experienced ex-players that I wanted to add to my backroom team. They were ex-Everton and Sheffield Wednesday defender Andy Hinchcliffe, who would work on our defensive side of the game and former Wrexham striker Juan Ugarte, who has great knowledge of the lower leagues and will work with my forwards.

With both Andy and Juan keen on joining, I invited them along to the press conference tomorrow, so I can formally introduce them to the media, along with myself. I decided to stay over night near the ground, so I wouldn't be late for my unveiling and also so I could plan a few responses in readiness for the local media in the morning.

PRESS CONFERENCE

images

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Welcome everyone to this press conference. I would like to introduce
our new Manager Andy Samuels and two of his backroom staff Andy Hinchcliffe and Juan Ugarte. "

REPORTER: " Andy, this must have been a whirlwind last couple of weeks for you? "

ME: " Haha, Yes it has been a bit crazy, but in football anything can happen. I hope now, I can
show the Salisbury fans and Chairman that I'm the right person to bring some much needed stability
to the club at the present moment. "

REPORTER: " Though you are only on a two month contract for the foreseeable future. How
were you allowed to bring in your own staff? "

ME: " I've had a good relationship with the Chairman since I first arrived and he granted me permission
to ask Andy and Juan to join the backroom staff here. They know the situation regarding myself and
whether it's me or another Manager, the players here will benefit greatly from what Andy and Juan
will offer them. "

REPORTER: " Will you look to strengthen the current playing squad? "

ME: " Most Managers are always on the look out for new players that will bolster their squads. There
are one or two loan signings I'm keen on, but other than that I'm happy with the current crop of players
that are here for the time being. "

View attachment 335591

REPORTER: " Are there any players that you feel are key to any success you may have? "

ME: " The squad is very strong as you can see, but Jamie White and Theo Lewis will be crucial to how
the team will play. Jamie with his natural goal scoring ability and Theo with his creativity and range of
passing in Midfield will be key to how the team perform. "

View attachment 335592View attachment 335593

REPORTER: " How confident are you that you can persuade the Chairman to give you a longer deal? "

ME: " Well I wouldn't be sat here if I didn't have the confidence in my ability or if the Chairman didn't feel
I have a small chance of becoming permanent Manager. I have to make sure I keep performances on the
pitch to a high standard and most importantly I get results. "

MR HARRISON-ALLAN: " Thank you ladies and gentleman, that will conclude our press conference.
Andy, Juan and Andy will be available for some photos out by the dugout. "

After the photos for the local paper were taken, I popped back inside to speak to Mr Harrison-Allan about two potential loan signings that I feel could help us meet our aims of challenging for promotion. The two players in mind are highly rated 18 year old central defender Emmitt Delfouneso from Birmingham City, who would provide great competition to my back four and promising defensive midfielder Louis Harris from AFC Wimbledon, who I hope will cement his place in the starting eleven come the strat of the season.

View attachment 335594View attachment 335595

Within 10 minutes Mr Harrison-Allan had worked his magic and both players joined on loan for the season. These two new additions make the squad very strong and we now have competition in pretty much every area.
So now it was time to get out on the training field and begin work in preparation for our opening league game against AFC Hornchurch on
the 18th August at home.

Last edited:
nice win there and all it took was a kid to tell some grown man what to do

Haha, well I'm not that much of a kid, but there seems to be a trend of young managers becoming employed, so maybe my turn is around the corner. Cheers for your feedback, appreciate it. :)

Haha, well I'm not that much of a kid, but there seems to be a trend of young managers becoming employed, so maybe my turn is around the corner. Cheers for your feedback, appreciate it. :)

no sir i appreciate you taking the time to make top class story that i want to read not read this much since i was at school and that was a lont time ago

no sir i appreciate you taking the time to make top class story that i want to read not read this much since i was at school and that was a lont time ago

Cheers mate. I haven't written this much since I was at school, lol. Hopefully get an update or two done over the weekend, but quite busy with football. (H)

images

August 2012

13737.png

SALISBURY START WITH A WIN

images

A late Chris McPhee goal earned Salisbury City and new Manager Andy Samuels their first win this afternoon, as they beat AFC Hornchurch at The Raymond McEnhill Stadium.

The Whites sealed their first win of the new Blue Square South campaign in front of their home fans, as Andy Samuels got his managerial career off to a great start.
The first few minutes of the match were spent entirely in the visitors half as Salisbury, employing a new 433 formation, started the game with a high tempo and fast flowing attacking football much to the delight of their supporters.

Salisbury continued to impose themselves in the second half, going close with headers from Chris McPhee and Theo Lewis, but they couldn't find the break through that their domination deserved.
With the game heading into the second minute of injury time, the Salisbury supporters finally had something to cheer, when Chris McPhee, in for the injured Jamie White, chested down a through ball, skipped past his marker and confidently slotted the ball past the Hornchurch keeper to seal the three points.

Salisbury Manager Andy Samuels was clearly delighted at the final whistle, as he made the perfect start in his first ever managerial game. " It was a fantastic result and performance and the lads gave it everything. We've been working hard in training on a couple of new formations and styles of play and to see it pay off today is a great feeling. "

The Salisbury supporters will be hoping that 31 year old Samuels will be able to keep the team performing like they did today on a regular basis and all eyes will be on their next game away to Tonbridge on Tuesday night.

Blue Square South
Tuesday 21st August 2012
Longmead Stadium

Tonbridge (0 - 2) Salisbury
McPhee, Fitchett

A comfortable win for us today, as we completely dominated from the start. Chris McPhee
grabbed his second goal in as many games and substitute Dan Fitchett sealed the win when he
came off the bench to score in injury time.

Blue Square South
Saturday 25th August 2012
Treyew Road

Truro (0 - 2) Salisbury
McPhee(2)

A fine win on the road and despite the long journey down to Cornwall, we still produced
another good consistant performance. Player/Coach Chris McPhee carried on his superb form
in front of goal bagging both goals.

Blue Square South
Monday 27th August 2012
The Raymond McEnhill Stadium

Salisbury (3 - 2) Farnborough
Dutton, Lewis, White.
Giles Sent Off

We ended the month unbeaten, as we beat our visitors fairly comfortably despite playing
nearly an hour with 10 men. Brian Dutton and Theo Lewis put us two up in the first ten minutes
of the first half, but just after the half hour mark, we were reduced to 10 men, when captain Chris
Giles was shown a red card for a professional foul. Which resulted in Farnborough pulling
a goal back from the penalty spot. Deep into injury time in the first half, Jamie White scored his 1st of
the season when he rounded the keeper to score from close range.
The visitors did pull a goal back towards the end of 90 minutes, but we held on and completed an
excellent first month by sitting 2nd in the league.

League Table - End of August 2012

View attachment 335902

doing well in the league you will soon be in the prem unless a big team come in for you

doing well in the league you will soon be in the prem unless a big team come in for you

Thanks mate. Would only leave if a big club comes in, if not will stick with Salisbury and see where we end up. :D

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Would only leave if a big club comes in, if not will stick with Salisbury and see where we end up. :D

with you at the helm there is only 1 place your are going prem all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.