Yes yes yes Joe I love you. I adore liberos. Think you might be interested in a few things I have to say:

If you want a libero, I would recommend Mateo Musacchio. Quick and has a good reading of the game, decent passing ability too. Vertonghen is one of the best, and Mexes is also very good. Others: Criscito, Spahic, Garay, Felipe are all pretty good for the position, and at least accomplished there. Otherwise, I'd recommend retraining people like Madjid Bougherra, Gary Cahill, Jack Rodwell and Toby Alderweireld, great ball-players and good at getting forward.

Also I've tried this myself a couple of times, with mixed success. I tried a catenaccio which worked fairly well but bored me half to death so I dropped it. I've settled on a much more tactically interesting formation, the Zona Mista. You can find the usual waffle in the Guide to Formations and Tactics, but basically:

No right back, you need an energetic defensive winger to help out in both defence and attack
Attacking libero making late runs into the attack
Left-sided width comes from a left wingback and a DLF dropping deep and wide
One Adv. Forward to run off the last defender and recieve throughballs from an advanced playmaker

I'm not totally happy with it: like all my formations, the left-back seems to get a lot of passes, but seeing as he's meant to be attacking that isn't so bad. So here it is, give it a try. I'd love to see if you can improve the libero role, something I've been trying to do and I would implement if you can do it well.

View attachment 122924

EDIT: Ooh, almost forgot to say. If you have a left-footed Adv. Forward it works very well.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes Joe I love you. I adore liberos. Think you might be interested in a few things I have to say:

If you want a libero, I would recommend Mateo Musacchio. Quick and has a good reading of the game, decent passing ability too. Vertonghen is one of the best, and Mexes is also very good. Others: Criscito, Spahic, Garay, Felipe are all pretty good for the position, and at least accomplished there. Otherwise, I'd recommend retraining people like Madjid Bougherra, Gary Cahill, Jack Rodwell and Toby Alderweireld, great ball-players and good at getting forward.

Also I've tried this myself a couple of times, with mixed success. I tried a catenaccio which worked fairly well but bored me half to death so I dropped it. I've settled on a much more tactically interesting formation, the Zona Mista. You can find the usual waffle in the Guide to Formations and Tactics, but basically:

No right back, you need an energetic defensive winger to help out in both defence and attack
One Adv. Forward to run off the last defender and recieve throughballs from an advanced playmaker

I'm not totally happy with it: like all my formations, the left-back seems to get a lot of passes, but seeing as he's meant to be attacking that isn't so bad. So here it is, give it a try and I'd love to see if you can improve the libero role, something I've been attempting to do.

View attachment 122924

*"Im thinking similar, but the CD wont be straight ahead of the Sweeper. To begin with anyway, I will see after tweeks
tongue.gif

The current set I've had a try with is a bit like the old "Zona Mista" Tactic, execpt I had Maicon at right wing back as opposed to the left sided WB "*

^ From me earlier in the thread GodCubed :). Seems like great minds think alike and are super good looking and cool, yeah?

"Also I've tried this myself a couple of times, with mixed success. I tried a catenaccio which worked fairly well but bored me half to death so I dropped it"

Exactly what I want to avoid, want somthing more interesting!

Have you taken a look at my starting Inter formation I posted last night? May be similar to what your describing (the tactic you like, not the boring one) - give me your views mate as I know you talk sense on here lol

Thanks for the player tips too, will be sure to check them out! 8-|

Last edited:

I'm not totally happy with it: like all my formations, the left-back seems to get a lot of passes, but seeing as he's meant to be attacking that isn't so bad. So here it is, give it a try. I'd love to see if you can improve the libero role, something I've been trying to do and I would implement if you can do it well.

View attachment 122924

EDIT: Ooh, almost forgot to say. If you have a left-footed Adv. Forward it works very well.

View attachment 122925
Alongside them were the uncompromising Tarcisio Burgnich and the elegant Aristide Guarneri, both playing as stoppers, with Armando Picchi sweeping up behind them. Starting his career as a full-back, Guarneri had a better technique than his more aggressive partner, but upon his signing for Inter he was switched to the centre, using his speed, positioning and tremendous aerial ability to stop whichever forwards he faced. Alongside him was the more tenacious Burgnich; while lacking some the more refined aspects of Guarneri’s game, he made up for it with his ragged determination and strength, immortalised in a quote from Pelé: “I told myself before the game, ‘he’s made of skin and bones just like everyone else’ — but I was wrong.” With Jair so often high up the pitch, Burgnich played wider than Guarneri, acting as a right-back.
With four defenders tasked with stopping the attacker, Herrera set up his own supposed creation behind them - again with a twist from what had come before. Although a far cry from the likes of Gaetano Scirea and Franco Baresi, iconic captain Armando Picchi was one of the first liberi to engage in attacking activities.

Until then, the sweeper position was inhabited by players like Ivano Blason – who would famously draw a line on the pitch and tell opposition forwards they weren’t allowed to cross it – good albeit clumsy defenders. If the defenders were the bolted door, they were an axe-wielding maniac guarding it. Picchi, on the other hand, would start attacks with a long accurate pass or stride forward towards the midfield, occasionally passing the half-way line but not popping up in the box as those that followed him did.

In front of the defence sat Gianfranco Bedin, the self-defined “role player.” Despite his good technique, he was pretty much the stereotypical ball-winner: he was reared to do the dirty work in midfield, tirelessly closing down opponents from the beginning of a match to the end. Home-grown and humble, like many defensive midfielders he wasn’t as celebrated as his more spectacular teammates, who would often credit him for his hard work.
*Sounds like Puyol's role for Barcelona if you can get that to work on fm.

Tiny update as I've been out all night at a mates, and off to the Gf very soon. Will hopefully get a bunvh of games done tomorrow when im home.

Managed to play Roma in a competative fixture and I won 2-1. Their goal coming from a scrappy corner. (I've not changed any set piece options, theyre all default)

Meanwhile I mentioned a screamer by Eto in an earlier post, and here it is. Enjoy |)

YouTube - Wigan vs Inter - Eto'o Goal 30th minute

About to leave but here is the result of my first league match

Last edited:
Check my thread, I'm sure we have a lot to talk about libero's ;)

Been trying to make a tactic work for about 2 or 3 months now

I found that having 5 defender's usually too much and it makes attacking players become too few in the front, so I'm playing a 3-4-3.

Good start to the seaseon. 28 goals scored 2 conceded in the league. And I've played alot of my games without both Eto or Milito

(Roma next, they have the leagues current top scorer - Boriello- that we will have to keep an eye on)

Last edited:
This is my attempt currently using as a "Park the Bus" tactic in the champions league W1 L1 D1 90 minute header from ronaldo (didnt use it against Rubin)

Are you considering that good or bad mate?

Didnt keep Boriello out which has annoyed me :mad: but won 5-1 which is still a great result

Last edited:
This is my attempt currently using as a "Park the Bus" tactic in the champions league W1 L1 D1 90 minute header from ronaldo (didnt use it against Rubin)

Are you considering that good or bad mate?

Good beat united, unlucky to lose to madrid qualified for next round minimum expections was group stages, its doing what I want park the bus then hit them on a quick counter grab a goal then shut up shop dont know how far I can go

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:46 PM ----------

Got Bayern Munich next round

going to release the libero tactic wsoon joe? im waiting because i love libero!

going to release the libero tactic wsoon joe? im waiting because i love libero!

I could upload the defensive SWEEPER tactic I'm testing at the moment, But the attacking Libero has not yet been started I'm afraid. Been pretty busy and trying to fit FM matches in in bits and bobs. Will hopefully get a load done tonight as I have no plans :)

the defensive sweeper tactic is that where your working with inter milan?

the defensive sweeper tactic is that where your working with inter milan?

Yes mate, Right now I'm using Inter milan with my variation on the old "Zona Mista" tactic to see if i can get any sucess.

The sweeper is set to be simply a defensive player.

I will be making another similar tactic, but with the player playing an attacking "libero" style

well 2-0 defeat to bayern might start using as a champions league tactic switch to attacking look a bit promising bit late though

Are you talking about this Park The Plane tactic orrrr? oO)

Left it counter to long hoping to nick a goal should of changed it to defensive but changed it to attacked to see if I could get goal