JP Woody's Conte style 3-5-2 (13.3.2)

• Thread starter Thread starter JP Woody
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 324
  • Views Views 144K
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a fantastic first season for Juventus - Champions of Europe and Serie A :) Alas we were beaten finalists in the Italian Cup final by Roma, so the treble eluded us this year.

I was particularly pleased with the Champions Cup knock out stages - we did it the hard way beating Man Utd, Barcelona and Bayern on the way to a final against Real Madrid.

Big thanks to JP for the original tactic and drhay for the tweaks & mentality discussion.

I'll post some results below.

One major learning point I took from this season was how the opposition toughened up just after the January transfer window closed. We had a bit of wobble at this point, which luckily we got through by:
a) tightening up the tactics - starting more often with a Control instead of Attack mentality or Standard where before I may have started with Control, and only loosening up if we got a 2 goal cushion.
b) switching to Assertive from Calm team talks pre-match and at half time, and sometimes changing "for the fans" type talks to "I expect a win" talks.
c) giving assertive individual player praise at half time and full time along these guidelines - less than 6.0 "you were poor"; 6.0 - 6.5 "i have faith"; 6.6 - 7.9 no comment; 8.0 - 8.9 "playing well / happy with performance"; 9.0+ "very happy / you impressed me".

Looking forward to next season now. I bought Tim Krul in January to give him a good long settling in period before Buffon starts to decline, and I get Llorente on a free in July. I also took up the option to make Bendter's loan deal a permanent signing (he had a very good season) so I have a decent back up Target Man for Llorente. I'm pretty happy with everyone else, and am reluctant to make too many changes too quickly to what is a very happy and settled squad. A Pirlo replacement will ultimately be my next target.

Final Serie A table: View attachment 316365 Champions Cup tree: View attachment 316366

Full season results (Page 1): View attachment 316367 and Page 2: View attachment 316368

Last edited:
Hey JP, Great job. Just to add to what everyone has been saying. Im usually very skeptical of 3xCB tactics because in my experience its notoriously difficult to defend against speedy wingers pumping crosses into the box.

Turned to this tactic when injuries to my FC Twente team meant i had 0 full backs available. Must say, its been spectacular.

Best result : 1-5 away against feyenoord who are leading the league.
Worst result: 4-3 away to Gronigen, who for some reason seem to score at will against me!!

Great job though.

Btw, just saw your transfers, interesting to see you bought Bengtsson, he's usually my MoTM in the game! On that note, Buylykin as TM has 19 goals in 14 games!

anyone got a whole starting 11 i could buy for this tactic, fairly cheap please. :)

As promised, screenshots from the end of my last season.

First choice BPD_Cover. My head of youth development signed him on a free from Ligue 2 in France several seasons ago. This is why I let them find players and I confirm the signing!
View attachment 313787

First choice CM_Attack. Scored 2 goals including Game-winner and a direct free kick in CL final. Bought from Barcelona for US $2.5 million when he was 16.
View attachment 313788

First choice DLP_D. Probably best player I've ever had in FM. Bought for US $19.5 million from Belgian pro league
View attachment 313789

First choice Poacher. 27 goals 15 assists. Bought for 10 million from swiss super league. As you'll see, I also have Neymar, but I just bought him this year at age 29 and he took most of the year to settle in. He was a sub and played in most of the cup matches.
View attachment 313790

First choice Target Man. Scored 36 goals and had 21 assists. Led team in both categories by far.
View attachment 313791

25 man registered squad in EPL and CL.
View attachment 313792

EPL results, split by home and away. A ridiculous 19W 0D 0L at home with 69 GF and 5 GA. I experiemented with match prep and mentality away from home and settled on ALWAYS attacking movement, with starting out as control or standard mentality and judging things dynamically from there.
View attachment 313793

Main screen showing 67 matches played, 199 GF (3.0/game), 31 GA (0.5/game), and dominating the world. 4th straight EPL and CL title. Using my tweaks posted in this thread.
View attachment 313794

Mate, this is outstanding stuff! You've really championed the tactic with all due respect to woody. Thanks a lot for the link, excellent read, will try myself along with the tweaks. Hope i can do as well as you!

im struggling to find players to buy for arsenal that fit this formation. :(

has anyone tried messing around with the 3 midfield trio roles?

i.e

LCM (AP Attack) - RCM (DLP support)
DMC (Anchor Man)

and also changing the wingers to wing backs attack

Would you say that reactionary shouts and strategy changes are good for this tactic, or just interfere? For example changing to counter and shouting clear ball to flanks when holding a lead

Really love this tactic, undefeated in 2012 with Juventus! Sold some players and brought in falcao, cant wait to play Falcao and Llorente up front in 2nd season!

I expected it to be hard to find players for the winger and center back positions but many players seem to do well in those positions. Brought in Albiol aswell and his doing great! Also matri is great in the TM role!

Juventus allready have the perfect squad for this tactic so you have alot of options in the midfield aswell. I also use some WB`s in the winger position and they work just fine.

Brilliant work JP, very happy with this..

Would like to try the tactic with another team aswell, not sure wich though..

The 13.2.3 and the 13.3.2 have the same M.E so it will work.

JP you know when you give your team talks and you get some players that are happy or fired up but you get some that say nothing what do you say to them

Just got Hartlepool promoted to Championship via play offs. Started using the tactic in to the second half of the season. Lots of draws, but defensively sound.

View attachment 317255

I have actually made my own version of Conte's 3-5-2. It is based on the same idea, but with some changes to the tactics.

I've actually made this tactic with Juventus though.

As my CBs I have 1x LD with defensive duty, 1 CB with Stopper duty and 1 CB with covering duty. Those played in those positions have been Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli. All of them have had very good average rating and I have managed to recreate the defensive grinta of Contes Juve.

In midfield I've played Lichtsteiner and Asamoah as wingers, both have been great. The M-V-P trio has of course been played. Pirlo as DLP, but I have increase his passing to LONG and given him much more creative freedom among other things.

Vidal has been played as a BWM and Marchisio has been played as an CM with attacking duty. But in order to replicate his constant movement off the ball I've actually increased his attacking a lot.

Finally as strikers I've played with one DLF and one AF.

One more thing is that my tactic is actually with passing as "more direct" and with "more pressing" and tackling on "Aggresive". I'm wondering how well your tactic works defensively?

Oh, and I should add that I actually managed to win the champions league on my first season with Juventus with this tactic, winning the final against Barcelona.

Ok, so after winning the treble the first season, went undefeated in the league, beat milan in copa italia and beat chelsea in the champions league im about to start the 2nd season. I know for sure i have to do some tweaks to the tactic because it will NOT work aswell 2nd season, all tactics ive ever tryed has been like this. ive seen clear signs allready during pre-season where ive been conceeding ALOT! im suffering bigtime against teams who play with attacking wingers, like in a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic.

Have anyone tryed this tactic more than 1 season? what tweaks/changes have you made? I have a very strong squad and my 1st 11 is very very good!

-Buffon
-Chiellini
-Bonucci
-Barzagli
-Vidal
-Giaccherini
-Isla
-Marchisio
-Asamoah
-Llorente
-falcao

Any pointers is more that welcome! cheers!

PS: great tactic JP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back