JP Woody's Conte style 3-5-2 (13.3.2)

• Thread starter Thread starter JP Woody
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 324
  • Views Views 144K
Status
Not open for further replies.
jp woody who will you hoose as your playmaker ? vidal, marchisio, fellaini, pogba (dmc position your tactic) ?

I think this tactic is still working good for me on new patch.

If it will stop working I will try Your new tactic JP.

Loving this tactic as it got me promoted first time asking with Wolves, only lost 8 games all season. I made some minor tweaks from the earlier posts as I read through them all. Changed the passing to direct as I was losing the ball a lot between defence and midfield and I put the crossing to sometimes as the ball was being wasted there.

I put the defence passing to short as they kept hoofing the ball up field, at the end of season performance ratings my Goalkeeper had 90% completion pass rate oO) Shows how much my players went back and forth from defender to keeper.

At the moment I am looking for some players to strengthen the squad, I am looking at

Tom Ince Winger
Matt Phillips Winger
Adam Johnson Winger
Jay Rodriguez ST
Alex Pearce CB
Rhys Williams CB
Will Hughes CM
Lee Catermole CDM

Any one else got any suggestions? Looking for british players only.

Awesome Tactic!!

Last edited:
Love this tactic Woody but I've noticed almost all the goals I concede are from crosses. I'm currently using Blackpool and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to cut down on all the crossing goals. I figure maybe my wingers are too attacking as I usually use Ince and Phillips. Maybe it's a change in training? I usually do defending set pieces.

great tactic jp been using it for a few seasons in my charlton save, havent won anything yet :( but lost in 3 or 4 finals only now starting to see the benefits now as i sign better players. Ive just beat man utd 9 - 1 which is my best result as yet. made 2 minor changes that have worked wonders for me for a while now. i changed keepers distirbution to long kick to the targetman and i unticked playmaker to none, this seems to have freed the 2 cm who are playing alot better and the teams play seems more fluid overall. everyone try the little tweaks see if it makes any difference for you, would like to know :)

all hail JP!

great tactic jp been using it for a few seasons in my charlton save, havent won anything yet :( but lost in 3 or 4 finals only now starting to see the benefits now as i sign better players. Ive just beat man utd 9 - 1 which is my best result as yet. made 2 minor changes that have worked wonders for me for a while now. i changed keepers distirbution to long kick to the targetman and i unticked playmaker to none, this seems to have freed the 2 cm who are playing alot better and the teams play seems more fluid overall. everyone try the little tweaks see if it makes any difference for you, would like to know :)

all hail JP!

Trying your tweaks and they do seem to have a positive effect. Away performances and defence more solid.

Question, the wingers.... I worry a little too much about them being defensive yet everyone else seems to just have attacking players there? Will it make a whole heap of difference?

At the moment I am looking for some players to strengthen the squad, I am looking at

Tom Ince Winger
Matt Phillips Winger
Adam Johnson Winger
Jay Rodriguez ST
Alex Pearce CB
Rhys Williams CB
Will Hughes CM
Lee Catermole CDM

Any one else got any suggestions? Looking for british players only.

Awesome Tactic!!

Rhys Williams is Australian mate

Question, the wingers.... I worry a little too much about them being defensive yet everyone else seems to just have attacking players there? Will it make a whole heap of difference?

I like to make sure they can tackle and mark a little bit. IMO the best player for this position is a solid attacking wing back who is re-trained. You can get a decent winger and spend a bunch of time training him to defend better also. But it's easier to train the position really.

I kind of have a set of attacking players and a set of defending players for different scenarios. i.e. bring on the defending player to hold out a lead, etc.

Rhys Williams is Australian mate

Yeah he is but as JP stated he is a British Citizen so that is good enough for me. He went to Liverpool so I got Ciaran Clark instead. Next target on my radar is Alex Pearce of Reading I think, currently transfer listed for 7.5 Million but I have no transfer funds because the board gave me a starting transfer budget of £0....

The whole tweaking the tactics for away matches is brilliant! I stick it on Standard mentality and match preperation on defensive positioning and my team has won all away games so far which were,

2-1 QPR
4-1 Stoke
4-3 Newcastle (I was winning 3-1 at halftime but the toons got a penalty and pounced on an error by my keeper)

Apart from that though my team stil struggle to retain the ball and score by higher margins at Home. I win 1-0 or 2-1 with the opposition dominating large parts of the game. I have changed CB's to Sometimes through balls, Wingers to Sometimes Cross, CM Attack unticked as play maker, Poacher to Sometimes throughballs and passing to Direct as my team is pretty weak on paper to most sides in the premier league. My current first team line up is:

GK Hennessey

DC Danny Batth
DC Sean Morrison
DC Ciaran Clark

RW Sean Murray
CDM Tongo Doumbia
CM Dan Gosling
CM Gary Gardner/Craig Gardner
LW Sako/Adam Mclean

TM Kevin Doyle
Poacher Le Fondre

Yeah he is but as JP stated he is a British Citizen so that is good enough for me. He went to Liverpool so I got Ciaran Clark instead. Next target on my radar is Alex Pearce of Reading I think, currently transfer listed for 7.5 Million but I have no transfer funds because the board gave me a starting transfer budget of £0....

The whole tweaking the tactics for away matches is brilliant! I stick it on Standard mentality and match preperation on defensive positioning and my team has won all away games so far which were,

2-1 QPR
4-1 Stoke
4-3 Newcastle (I was winning 3-1 at halftime but the toons got a penalty and pounced on an error by my keeper)

Apart from that though my team stil struggle to retain the ball and score by higher margins at Home. I win 1-0 or 2-1 with the opposition dominating large parts of the game. I have changed CB's to Sometimes through balls, Wingers to Sometimes Cross, CM Attack unticked as play maker, Poacher to Sometimes throughballs and passing to Direct as my team is pretty weak on paper to most sides in the premier league. My current first team line up is:

GK Hennessey

DC Danny Batth
DC Sean Morrison
DC Ciaran Clark

RW Sean Murray
CDM Tongo Doumbia
CM Dan Gosling
CM Gary Gardner/Craig Gardner
LW Sako/Adam Mclean

TM Kevin Doyle
Poacher Le Fondre

I found that the direct passing tweak didn't work for me. Have you tried playing the normal attacking tactic with short passing for home games?

I have been using the tweaks given in post 247 and they have worked very well both home and away but you do need a tall old fashioned target man.

Last edited:
I started game from 11 lvl of england league as SKS Błyskawica FC.

I will send few picturs today or tommarow but in first seson I won 11 lvl and in secound I will won 10 lvl too :D

Okay so I have done the following changes to what other posters have put:

Changed through balls to some times on CB's
Changed crossing to sometimes for both wingers
put through balls to some times on the poacher
Unticked play maker
Changed passing style to short

These all seem to have worked and the team is holding the ball so much better, I have beaten villa 2-0 at home and retained the ball better at 55% which can only get better. My next three fixtures are Chelsea, liverpool and man united so will switch to standard mentality and post the results...

At stamford bridge I went with standard mentality and defensive positioning and we lost 2-0
At home to liverpool we won 1-0 with attacking mentality and defensive positioning
Away to man united we lost 3-1 but the scoreline flatters them, we went 1-0 up and was leading at half time but a weak backward header brought Man united back into the game. When I manage to sign better players I'm sure I can get better results next time.
Have drawn against spurs at home 1-1 and only conceded because of the corner. I swear the opposition only scores from corners and crosses...

Last edited:
Okay so I have done the following changes to what other posters have put:

Changed through balls to some times on CB's
Changed crossing to sometimes for both wingers
put through balls to some times on the poacher
Unticked play maker
Changed passing style to short

These all seem to have worked and the team is holding the ball so much better, I have beaten villa 2-0 at home and retained the ball better at 55% which can only get better. My next three fixtures are Chelsea, liverpool and man united so will switch to standard mentality and post the results...

At stamford bridge I went with standard mentality and defensive positioning and we lost 2-0
At home to liverpool we won 1-0 with attacking mentality and defensive positioning
Away to man united we lost 3-1 but the scoreline flatters them, we went 1-0 up and was leading at half time but a weak backward header brought Man united back into the game. When I manage to sign better players I'm sure I can get better results next time.
Have drawn against spurs at home 1-1 and only conceded because of the corner. I swear the opposition only scores from corners and crosses...

The only changes ive made are the ones i stated earlier and a few to set peices. I play it both home and away and its working well.

excellent tactic JP! sitting on 2nd place with swansea after 9 games. we have had a tough first few fixtures and i have made around 8 signings and offloaded quite a few players as well, so considering all of that this is a great achievement.

Tweaks (thanks to drhay53 and kingz98)
- All three CBs through balls to sometimes
- left cm and poacher tackling to normal
- poacher through balls to sometimes
- both wingers crossing to sometimes
- ticked playmaker and set to none
- goalkeeper ball distribution long kick to right striker

I didn't implement some of the other tweaks recommended like the standard/control strategy when away from home and direct passing. I use the default tactic with the above listed tweaks home and away.

Match Preparation

Balance and Defensive Positioning

Opposition Instructions

ML/MR - show onto weaker foot

I keep an eye on the opposition formation. If they push the wingers up to AML/AMR, show those positions onto weaker foot
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/users/367934/. Same goes for WBR/WBL. I don't bother doing this for DR/DL. I used to get highlights all the time of the opposition wingers running into the wide positions and crossing which led to a goal. Since these instructions, I have yet to see that highlight.

Chelsea

Beat chelsea 4-1. Yes I was at home but it is still chelsea and they had won all 5 of their last matches.

swansean.png

Team Talks

Again thanks to JP. This is a very slightly modified version of his old team talks from his 442 tactic.

PRE MATCH: ASK ASSISTANT

HALF TIME IF LOSING: AGGRESSIVE TALK

HALF TIME IF DRAWING: ASSERTIVE "I EXPECT BETTER SHOWING IN 2ND HALF"

HALF TIME IF WINNING BY 1 GOAL CALM "DON'T GET COMPLACENT"

HALF TIME IF WINNING BY 2 GOALS
- CALM "YOU'VE PLAYED WELL BUT YOU'RE CAPABLE OF BETTER"
If that is not available:
CALM "YOU'VE BUILT A SOLID LEAD BUT THINGS CAN CHANGE, KEEP YOUR PERFORMACE LEVELS UP"

FULL TIME WIN OR GOOD DRAW: CALM PRAISE for team and PASSIONATE PRAISE for man of the match

FULL TIME DEFEAT OR POOR DRAW: AGGRESSIVE TALK

Fixtures List and League Table

I think the loss to Arsenal was my fault. I implemented TheBetterHalf's suggestion in one of the threads about closing down single ST without an AMC. I did that to Podolski and he absolutely ripped me apart with his pace. Since then I only do the winger instructions.

swansea2s.png

swansea3.png

Transfers and Squad Performance

Signed eight players and offloaded quite a few because Swansea have around 10 great players but all the backups are mediocre. Plus this formation does not need full backs. I didn't buy any world class players. Just cheap and decent UK (Englishg, Scottish, Irish, Welsh) players.

swansea4.png

swansea1.png

Danny Graham has been a beast as you can see.

Thanks JP for another great tactic and all the others who I have credited above for the tweaks. Will post more screenshots at the end of the season.

Hi JP Woody,

where did your tactic go which had 3 inside forwards, 2 central midfielders, 1 anchor man, 2 wingbacks and 2 central defenders ?
That was your tactic right ? I remember downloading it from here but i cant find it anywhere.

Greets from Holland,

HerbieGTI

Trying your tweaks and they do seem to have a positive effect. Away performances and defence more solid.

Wow, tweaks in post #247 are very good indeed.
I've destroyed everyone during the preparation with my FC Nantes side, promoted in French L1.
Even big german teams.
And what a quality of play. The midfielders are amazing since the MDC is no longer the playmaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back