Status
Not open for further replies.
How many new signings have you made and how long have you used the tactic for? It makes a huge difference no matter how good the players you're buying are.

Ah OK, So I shouldn't make more then how many signings?

I made 6 in the opening transfer market when starting the game. Kroos, Gundogan, Bale, Douglas Costa, Matip and Zieler.

I'm guessing making an overly excessive amount of new signings disrupts the teams fluidity/chemistry?

EDIT: I used the tactic for a around about half a season, It was fully fluid but I was still struggling away from home.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Changed to direct passing on my Southampton save and worked well but the team still leaks goals from corners, any advice people?

What I mean is that from corners it doesn't directly go in but my defenders clear it and the guy outside the box creates something, it seems all my players are in the box and never push up off a corner, its annoying because it has cost me a lot of victories and I have defending set pieces on all season.

Changed to direct passing on my Southampton save and worked well but the team still leaks goals from corners, any advice people?

Try changing the training to defending set pieces.

Still can´t believe. Half season with Napoli, no tweaks, using suggestions from OP:

What I mean is that from corners it doesn't directly go in but my defenders clear it and the guy outside the box creates something, it seems all my players are in the box and never push up off a corner, its annoying because it has cost me a lot of victories and I have defending set pieces on all season.

This happens alot for both teams, the user and AI, it's not a tactics problem it's just the way the game is this year. You can try defensive set pieces but in my opinion it's more important to go with either defensive positioning or attacking movement, and just deal with the goals from set pieces.

There were alot of crazy goals from set pieces in the CL matches I watched in real-life recently.

Well just finished the first full season using this tactic and it went right down to the wire, previously to this the highest I'd finished in the PL was 11th. I also won the Capital One Cup aswell which is also my first domestic cup trophy.

View attachment 312963

Great tactic in my opinion, seems to work ok for me. I started a save with Spartak Moscow as a challenge, due to the increasing number of good competition in the title race. So far it has worked well, I'm 2nd but Rubin Kazan are pulling away, who are 5 points clear at the top. Gonna be hard to try and get in with the trophies as I was handed a group of death in the CL and got knocked out on penalties in the semis of the Russian cup.

Seem to have improved my league position since using this tactic, only thing I'm wondering is do you tick the target man option? JP you said earlier that you didn't tick this but also said you got the supply to mix for target man so I am confused? What's best tick target man or untick? And what you guys having best results with direct passing or mixed?

Seem to have improved my league position since using this tactic, only thing I'm wondering is do you tick the target man option? JP you said earlier that you didn't tick this but also said you got the supply to mix for target man so I am confused? What's best tick target man or untick? And what you guys having best results with direct passing or mixed?

No you don't need to tick, its already default ticked.

I feel like my team isn't scoring enough and loves to left a goal or 2 in late in the game. The goal problem could be the striker or has anyone else had this problem?

Ok JP, I haven't actually downloaded the tactic tho I have just copied the formation and put it into my game, so is the target man option ticked? Also what are the team instructions I.e marking creative freedom etc?

Ok JP, I haven't actually downloaded the tactic tho I have just copied the formation and put it into my game, so is the target man option ticked? Also what are the team instructions I.e marking creative freedom etc?

Download the tactic it's 100% easier than telling you what the team instructions are

I tried but don't know how I download it properly so how do i do it?

Been trying this with Liverpool, and as you said in the OP, very mixed results during the first season. Although the results were very different, home form was really good and I could beat/match the bigger teams in the league. Away form I suppose will come around once I buy the right players and everyone gets used to it.

Been trying this with Liverpool, and as you said in the OP, very mixed results during the first season. Although the results were very different, home form was really good and I could beat/match the bigger teams in the league. Away form I suppose will come around once I buy the right players and everyone gets used to it.

Same with me, Home form is fairly solid, Beat teams with ease usually 2-0 or 3-0. But it's a whole different story away from home, The team suddenly are unable to defend no matter if I play my first or second team, Just can't defend. Leak goals way to easily away from home.

I don't know weather it's the Home advantage being way to big of a deal or I'm doing something wrong?

With my team, which has won 3 straight EPL and Champions Leagues, I match prep defensive positioning and drop mentality to either control or standard away, even though my hope is to dominate the game. And even against poor opponents. My three tactics for preparation are Woody's tactic with the 3 different mentalities.

I will change between control and standard based on how attacking the opponent seems to play early in the game; if they're attacking me hard I'll drop to standard. If they're not playing very positively I'll play control. If the game gets past the 60th minute and the result isn't what I'm looking for, I'll start walking up to attacking mentality. I never jump 2 mentalities at once. It's almost a guarantee that all of your highlights will disappear.

This year, throw everything you thought you knew about stats and form out the window. Creating 2 CCC's away from home is a brilliant day, even for a top team, in FM13. A 2-0 win away is a very good result. Even against a mid-table team. The way I see FM13; I'm trying to beat up on you if I'm at home. If I'm away from home, I'm trying to survive your initial assault and slowly exert my will on you. If I play a little more cautiously defensively, eventually my quality WILL win out. If I win 1-0 or 2-0 or 2-1, I don't really care that much. The goal is to win.

Your goal in FM13 should not be to create 10 CCC's and win 4-0 away from home. If that's your goal, you will be upset. To win away from home in FM13 (consistently, over the course of a whole season) I definitely believe you have to play less attacking than you would at home.

The whole reason for this is that in the current match engine, there isn't a ton of things to exploit. It's not that easy to build a tactic that concedes no goals while scoring 4 per game. Away from home, what tends to happen is that your team and the opponent are both playing attacking, fairly risky football. If you have the better team, why would you take more risks with the ball, slinging it around at high tempo all over the pitch, when your opponent is playing a high tempo, more pressing style? If you're the better team you're simply wasting possession by playing attacking. If you're an average team then it's even worse, because your team isn't good enough to play attacking football; especially against a team with a mental advantage from playing at home. Playing too attacking away from home, both teams are pressed high into the middle of the pitch and you just exchange possession in non-dangerous areas, and most likely because of the home advantage your opponent will break through.

If you drop a little deeper though, and play just a little more cautiously, suddenly the midfield isn't so crowded and your quality for creating space can come out. Your opponent (as in the players on the pitch) may get frustrated because they're playing at home and not creating chances. Suddenly players are out of position, pushed far forward, and your players have tons of space to play in. This, in my opinion, is why over the course of the season, I have seen more consistent results dropping to a lower mentality away from home.

Have a read through the thread I posted earlier, linking to Loversleaper's tactic thread over at SI forums.

Hope this helps some people, if you're frustrated by seemingly random away results, give it a try; defensive positioning + lower mentality away from home. Don't just do it for one game or 15 minutes and get frustrated. FM13 requires patience; you're trying to be the best team over the course of 8-9 months, not 2 weeks.

Can anyone tell me the team instructions for this tactic please? Are they all default? I cannot download the tactic.

With my team, which has won 3 straight EPL and Champions Leagues, I match prep defensive positioning and drop mentality to either control or standard away, even though my hope is to dominate the game. And even against poor opponents. My three tactics for preparation are Woody's tactic with the 3 different mentalities.

I will change between control and standard based on how attacking the opponent seems to play early in the game; if they're attacking me hard I'll drop to standard. If they're not playing very positively I'll play control. If the game gets past the 60th minute and the result isn't what I'm looking for, I'll start walking up to attacking mentality. I never jump 2 mentalities at once. It's almost a guarantee that all of your highlights will disappear.

This year, throw everything you thought you knew about stats and form out the window. Creating 2 CCC's away from home is a brilliant day, even for a top team, in FM13. A 2-0 win away is a very good result. Even against a mid-table team. The way I see FM13; I'm trying to beat up on you if I'm at home. If I'm away from home, I'm trying to survive your initial assault and slowly exert my will on you. If I play a little more cautiously defensively, eventually my quality WILL win out. If I win 1-0 or 2-0 or 2-1, I don't really care that much. The goal is to win.

Your goal in FM13 should not be to create 10 CCC's and win 4-0 away from home. If that's your goal, you will be upset. To win away from home in FM13 (consistently, over the course of a whole season) I definitely believe you have to play less attacking than you would at home.

The whole reason for this is that in the current match engine, there isn't a ton of things to exploit. It's not that easy to build a tactic that concedes no goals while scoring 4 per game. Away from home, what tends to happen is that your team and the opponent are both playing attacking, fairly risky football. If you have the better team, why would you take more risks with the ball, slinging it around at high tempo all over the pitch, when your opponent is playing a high tempo, more pressing style? If you're the better team you're simply wasting possession by playing attacking. If you're an average team then it's even worse, because your team isn't good enough to play attacking football; especially against a team with a mental advantage from playing at home. Playing too attacking away from home, both teams are pressed high into the middle of the pitch and you just exchange possession in non-dangerous areas, and most likely because of the home advantage your opponent will break through.

If you drop a little deeper though, and play just a little more cautiously, suddenly the midfield isn't so crowded and your quality for creating space can come out. Your opponent (as in the players on the pitch) may get frustrated because they're playing at home and not creating chances. Suddenly players are out of position, pushed far forward, and your players have tons of space to play in. This, in my opinion, is why over the course of the season, I have seen more consistent results dropping to a lower mentality away from home.

Have a read through the thread I posted earlier, linking to Loversleaper's tactic thread over at SI forums.

Hope this helps some people, if you're frustrated by seemingly random away results, give it a try; defensive positioning + lower mentality away from home. Don't just do it for one game or 15 minutes and get frustrated. FM13 requires patience; you're trying to be the best team over the course of 8-9 months, not 2 weeks.

Wow Super post. Im going to play a season with my default attack at home and standard/control away. What you say does make total sense.

Wow Super post. Im going to play a season with my default attack at home and standard/control away. What you say does make total sense.

Hope it works for you too! Right now I'm in December and scoring 2.7 goals per game and conceding 0.3 per game. At the end of this season I'll post some screenshots, but I'm not quite as scared of away games. Now it's pretty much just Arsenal, Man City, and Liverpool that are super-tough away in my save.

Status
Not open for further replies.