Kit making tutorial with Photoshop

Great tutorial, helped me a lot in making my own kits!

Tried my hand at doing the kits for my local side, Hitchin Town FC...
View attachment 318934View attachment 318935View attachment 318936

And also for a team I created and am in the process of rising through the leagues with. Whaddya think?
View attachment 318937View attachment 318938View attachment 318939

Only problem is... they won't load in-game! I've checked, double-checked, and triple-checked the config files, I've made them manually and using a prog, I've experimented with putting the files in different folders, I've cleared the cache, reloaded skins, restarted the game, and still the darned things won't load! Weird thing is that all the kits I've downloaded in packs work, and all the custom logos I've made work fine, it's just these two sets of kits that aren't playing ball. Anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT: Okay, so turns out that it's as something simple as the game not liking capital letters! Changed the file names and the names in the XML files to be all in lower case, and the kits load fine!

Last edited:
Im getting annoyed now, ive search everywhere for an answer to this question.

So i create a kit for a club, lets say Crewe Alexandra Kit. Where do i put that kit file so that it works with Crewe on FM?

Im getting annoyed now, ive search everywhere for an answer to this question.

So i create a kit for a club, lets say Crewe Alexandra Kit. Where do i put that kit file so that it works with Crewe on FM?

Your files need to be in "/My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2013/Graphics/Kits". If those last two folders don't exist, create them. You then need to create a .XML file. To do this, just create a .TXT (Text) file with Notepad or the like, and change the extension to ".XML", or you can copy one from a custom kits download, of which there are a great many on this site.

The .XML file should then read as something along the lines of...
<record> <!-- resource manager options -->

<!-- don't preload anything in this folder -->
<boolean id="preload" value="false"/>

<!-- turn off auto mapping -->
<boolean id="amap" value="false"/>

<!-- picture mappings -->
<!-- the following XML maps pictures inside this folder into other positions
in the resource system, which allows this folder to be dropped into any
place in the graphics folder and still have the game pick up the graphics
files from the correct places
-->

<list id="maps">
<!-- Generated by FM Graphics Configurator, by HMan -->

<record from="kit1" to="graphics/pictures/team/2062002128/kits/home"/>
<record from="kit2" to="graphics/pictures/team/2062002128/kits/away"/>
<record from="kit3" to="graphics/pictures/team/2062002128/kits/third"/>
</list>
</record>

With "kit1" etc. being the names of the files for your kits. They MUST be in lower case, or the game won't recognise them. "2062002128" should be replaced with Crewe's unique ID, which can be found using the official editor, or most save editors.

That done, go in-game and un-tick "Use caching [etc.]" in your graphics preferences, under "Skins", then tick "Reload skin [etc.]", then click "Confirm" at the bottom to load your kits in.

How do I transform my 2d kits in 3d kits ? Does anyone know ?

Hi all, are kits added to the game in the same way as previous versions...

.png file and then use Xml to create the code for the pictures to show up ??

How do I transform my 2d kits in 3d kits ? Does anyone know ?

The 2D style kits and 3D style kits are separate images.

That's true whether by "3D kits" you meant the sort of three-quarter view style of kit that almost looks as though it was photographed on a mannequin, or the actual 3D in-match kit that you see during the match animation. For the former, you would just over-save the new image in place of the existing 2D version; for the latter you would need to set up a separate "3D Kits" folder within your existing "Kits" folder, with its own config file.

I have the 3D in-match kits set-up within my own FM files which I can give you to download; I think it's easier to edit from other people's existing files than to create brand new for yourself. I'm on an iMac, though, so my file locations will be slightly different to yours.

Hi all, are kits added to the game in the same way as previous versions...

.png file and then use Xml to create the code for the pictures to show up ??

Yes, the method's exactly the same in FM15 as it was in 14. Helpfully, the vast majority of club IDs have stayed the same, too (I would say "all" but I'm not 100%) so kit packs from FM14 will work for FM15 without major issues.

can someone give me link of new kit template
the link doesn't work
i really need that template in pdf pleaseeee

i have doubts

First, i can't found the download of the kits! My doubt is, i have to install the FM first to modify their kits or i have only to download the kits from the link that you put there?:(
thanks

You don't need FM to modify the kits, just download some the kit template packs and you can edit those.

Stupid question (possibly) so feel free to give me a stupid answer but I've just downloaded the photoshop trail, this tutorial will still work with that won't it? I mean the trail won't be a 'watered down' version of photoshop.