It's certainly interesting. Might be a good way to provide cover on the near post defending crosses that the oppositions strikers seem to connect on with ease. It can also give an advantage in having the right/left centre backs providing cover for the FB in the room behind them when the opposition attact with pace, creating one-two's from the wing/FB.

Yeah the idea is there. But implementing it is another thing.
Many of the ball got played on our own half. I need to somehow make it played further up front.

But that's for another day. I gotta stick with this one first.

Kof, I have a couple of days off work so will do some tactic testing and let you know how it goes.

Same here. Just finished my last final exam on uni. EVER.

So I got a lot of free time from now on. Gonna work on the tactic a lot more now.

I should be releasing the new version anytime soon if everything goes well.

They are not just to hold on to a lead, but for the whole match.

The changes suggested above does not solve the defending issues, but it does help, mate. It gives a bit more balance at the back, as well as the deep crosses to the far post will give you a few goals a season.

The only proper update on the defending is the next patch unfortunately :'( it's frustrating that we now have to build tactics around a non-proper ME, but I guess thats a challenge as well!

There are other "solutions" that you might try, but it also depends alot on other tactical/technical factors of your team. I play with both my CD's as "Cover", which solves some of the unstoppable passes through your defense. I also use two defensive midfielders at all times now, trying to cope with some of the long shots that makes my GK just lay down like an injured animal :)

CDs as cover is interesting indeed. I tried doing that but the 'gap' on the channels since the fullbacks are a bit upfront when defending causes many troubles on the wings. I think it went well with yours because you had 2 DMCs while mine is 2 MCs.

I am thinking of making the 2 MCs as DMCs and push the fullbacks as wingbacks. Will see how it goes.

So far it's working pretty well for me, but I'm not a big fan of hard tackling. It seems that my players even wingers pick up too many unnecessary yellow cards.

Yeah true. It used to be effective in previous versions because it can enforce the opposition to give up the ball further upfield.
Doesn't seem to be doing too well now. Probably gonna update and stick with normal tackling on next version.

What about having a Ball Winner and a Box to Box and instead of an Attacking Midfielder you have an Advanced Playmaker?

Or can you go 4-3-3, with the midfielder having a Anchorman, a Box to Box, and a Deep-Lying Playmaker/Advanced Playmaker?

What about having a Ball Winner and a Box to Box and instead of an Attacking Midfielder you have an Advanced Playmaker?

Or can you go 4-3-3, with the midfielder having a Anchorman, a Box to Box, and a Deep-Lying Playmaker/Advanced Playmaker?

Nice idea. Do you reckon not having AMC will open up space for wingers to run into?

I'm noticing they are not as consistently deadly as they used. I notice that they tend to cut inside well when there space on middle is open - usually when AMC roams deep to midfield.

I am working on a new defend system which so far working well. 3 clean sheets.
Also I just managed to tweak some things in my last game and manage to get 7 CCCs with opponent only having 2 shots.

Granted I'm playing Chelsea (the perfect team to play 4231 other than Madrid). So yeah I'm targetting to run rampage on EPL with the tactic.
If I manage to get 2.5 goals/game with lots of CCC and concede around 0.5 goals/game, I might be releasing this version of the tactic.

With this new game, will it be possible to use a single tactic for every match and build your team around it (like Barcelona)?

I'd say yes, it's possible to create a successful side and winning titles without changing to much on your formation. But note that in real life, its few times that play this way. Barcelona play in a similar way almost every game, but they do make changes. These changes might not be a big change like a change from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2, but they still change their approach in regards to the opposition. The main reason why they also play in basically the same shape every game, is that they have a very specific group of players, all bought/produced at La Macia. These players are amazing, but wouldnt necessarily look so good if trying to adapt to a very direct, physical style of play. Probably the main reason why Zlatan didn't succeed was that he did not suit the system. How many times haven't we all experienced that in FM? So frustrating to see a big signing playing to a 6.5 ratio on average, but if they don't fit the system, they will not perform, neither IRL of FM13.

I basically play the same formation every game, but I've changed my go-to system two times over 3 seasons, trying to adapt to my group of players. Fighting for trophies in Europe and the EPL with QPR, but because my budget is small, I can't pick players from the top shelf. I therefore try to buy players to fit my direct, high-tempo style of play, but when I cant get the right players, I might have to compromise on my formation.

What I do change a lot before games is player movement/roles as well as team instructions. I might play with more direct/shorter passes, higher/lower tempo, counter-attacking/controlling etc. This has been successful with my 4-2-3-1 (deep DM's) because it's not a formation that has major gaps in it, it covers a lot of room. If you for example play with a very narrow 4-4-2 diamond and you play against strong teams that has excellent wing play, I'd say you're in big trouble. Basically, it depends on the strength of your team and your players. You always have to adjust to your opposition, but I'd still say that getting the most out of your own players in a technical/tactical way is key! I have wingers that are either really good at counter attacking, possessing great pace, dribbling and finishing, as well as more playmaker-types that can create chances against a defensive side (think Junior Hoilett vs Esteban Granero). This is important elements that you need to take into consideration. If you play with Wigan, you're not going to control many games, and you probably only need one style of play, but if you're up against teams that will just sit back, the same players might find it very hard creating anything!

Wingbacks are simply awesome now. Late runs into the box are really hard to pick up by the ME

Azpilicueta has 3 goals and 5 assists in his 10 starts.

Im listening... :)

10 games. 7 clean sheets.
2 games vs City I won 3-1. 1 conceded vs Liverpool (A) due to defender mistake.

So far so good.

I'm just playing around with the MCs now. Trying to get the right combinations of player.

I had tried 2 MCs 1 DMC. 2 MCs 1 AMC. 1 DMC 1 MC 1 AMC.

So far the first combination give the best results, controlling ~65% of possession and plenty of CCCs. However the only thing I 'hate' is that the playmaker (MCR) is not playing on the center. So his passes are more to the right. If only I can get him to the middle often..

Very interesting indeed! I finished the season playing a 4-2-3-1 with two DM's, both set "defensive midfield" --> support, as well as an AM --> support. This worked okay, but the season is over so I need to decide now! Also finished 5th with QPR, missing out on CL :'(

I gotta say not playing with a playmaker paid off though. Granero played to an 8.8 in the last game, scoring and assisted the second goal. I think if playing with inside forwards its good to not neccesarily play the ball through a playmaker at all times.

What role does your MCR have? Weird that he's passing too much to the right even when playing as a right sides MCR, should be able to adjust!

View attachment 281922 View attachment 281923
View attachment 281924
I started your tactic at bolton where i drew. great tactic won fa cup aswell! wellington nem best player, admesilson scored hatricks then went a few games no scoring but still good! missed alot of sitters, i seem to eithier concede the first goal or concede late but i havent tried your wing back method yet. also when they did they bug patch it was just before the man united replay. looking to get a winger,ballwinner,backup striker,lb,rb,and deep lyingplay maker, hopefully i can get more people with my euroupe spot.

Very interesting indeed! I finished the season playing a 4-2-3-1 with two DM's, both set "defensive midfield" --> support, as well as an AM --> support. This worked okay, but the season is over so I need to decide now! Also finished 5th with QPR, missing out on CL :'(

I gotta say not playing with a playmaker paid off though. Granero played to an 8.8 in the last game, scoring and assisted the second goal. I think if playing with inside forwards its good to not neccesarily play the ball through a playmaker at all times.

What role does your MCR have? Weird that he's passing too much to the right even when playing as a right sides MCR, should be able to adjust!

Interesting point on the no playmaker thing. Will prbably test that out.

Yeah I found the MCR thing to be weird as well. I reckon it's because the MCL also push forwards during attack so they have this sort of own areas of control. I prefer the MCL to stay behind the MCR who moves forward to the centre and the DM fills the MCR spot - making a triangle. Easier said than done obviously.

I also see that the number of passes decreases significantly with 4-1-2-2-1 instead of 4-2-3-1 despite having all the settings exactly the same.

The upside of it is the empty space left the AMC is now a free space which wingers can exploit as an open space to dribble. It used to be 'crowded' and wingers ended up giving the ball to the AMC instead of cut inside forward or give that many through balls directly. I'm still not sure that is due to the AMC being there or because he's the playmaker, though.

Is there an updated version to try out, I've been using the first one uploaded, set a little wider and slower. I think I'll try without the AP for a bit and see what happens. I'm conceding way more than I should, but creating lots of chances. Since I'm Liverpool though, I'm not converting :-(

I'd say yes, it's possible to create a successful side and winning titles without changing to much on your formation. But note that in real life, its few times that play this way. Barcelona play in a similar way almost every game, but they do make changes. These changes might not be a big change like a change from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2, but they still change their approach in regards to the opposition. The main reason why they also play in basically the same shape every game, is that they have a very specific group of players, all bought/produced at La Macia. These players are amazing, but wouldnt necessarily look so good if trying to adapt to a very direct, physical style of play. Probably the main reason why Zlatan didn't succeed was that he did not suit the system. How many times haven't we all experienced that in FM? So frustrating to see a big signing playing to a 6.5 ratio on average, but if they don't fit the system, they will not perform, neither IRL of FM13.

I basically play the same formation every game, but I've changed my go-to system two times over 3 seasons, trying to adapt to my group of players. Fighting for trophies in Europe and the EPL with QPR, but because my budget is small, I can't pick players from the top shelf. I therefore try to buy players to fit my direct, high-tempo style of play, but when I cant get the right players, I might have to compromise on my formation.

What I do change a lot before games is player movement/roles as well as team instructions. I might play with more direct/shorter passes, higher/lower tempo, counter-attacking/controlling etc. This has been successful with my 4-2-3-1 (deep DM's) because it's not a formation that has major gaps in it, it covers a lot of room. If you for example play with a very narrow 4-4-2 diamond and you play against strong teams that has excellent wing play, I'd say you're in big trouble. Basically, it depends on the strength of your team and your players. You always have to adjust to your opposition, but I'd still say that getting the most out of your own players in a technical/tactical way is key! I have wingers that are either really good at counter attacking, possessing great pace, dribbling and finishing, as well as more playmaker-types that can create chances against a defensive side (think Junior Hoilett vs Esteban Granero). This is important elements that you need to take into consideration. If you play with Wigan, you're not going to control many games, and you probably only need one style of play, but if you're up against teams that will just sit back, the same players might find it very hard creating anything!

Can you make variations of your tactic then?

A default tactic to use against standard opponents, a version of your tactic that abuses the wings when the opponent is narrow or weak there, and a version to protect yourself from a strong opponent and then hit on the break.

Also, are the combinations I gave solid for a midfield? A Anchorman, a Box to Box, and a Advanced/Deep-Lying Playmaker? I tried making a formation with those 3 types of players but it didn't work and I wouldn't score.

do we have some final results for the defence part, which of the suggested changes are working?

just try this tactic with Fulham and end up losing 4 games in row
Arsenal (1-3), Liverpool (1-2), Man city (0-6), Aston Villa (1-2)
:(

I'm finding that I get better results and more possession of the ball when I play with "Control" instead of "Attacking" strategy.

Many thanks to koflok for this nice tactic!

i'm using this for an asian club. With this tactic, my team is having the better ball possesion, but often struggle to score as they just pass around outside the penalty box and often leak goals too. After reading some suggestions about defensive settings, i'm using the current settings : FB(tight zonal marking), both CB(cover duty), both CM (tight zonal marking), AP(s) changed to T and DLF/AF/P depending on the striker i'm using, plus some additional tweaks depending on the opponent's tactics.

Currently, the team is relatively tight at the back and the CMs, IF, T, ST start to score!