hey koflok. first of all, sorry for my bad english! i need your help! obviously, this is a great tactic! i read many posts, where people got great success with it! Now i need your advise, please. i have changed to your tactic in the middle of the season, played 5 games with man united and didn´t score a goal! i know, it´s probably not the tactic, and i know i might take some time to get fluid! But zero goals, and not really and chance is all little weird! the game looks fluid until i come to the box! from there my players start to play the ball around of it and pretty much are unable to create space or any chance. its getting pretty frustrating! i play with van percy as a striker and rooney as a am! also i have munian and ale on the wings! i know these three are not really the chelsea-like om´s (i would like to emulate there game! or something like dortmund!), but nonetheless pretty talented! do you hve an idea? what can i do? please it would be really helpful, if you can give me some advise! thanks a lot!!

Amazing tactic for Arsenal. Turned fullbacks into support for more stability. I close down all/show to weak foot all wingers/fullbacks, tight mark/closedown/hard tackle/weak foot any strikers and amc that are dangerous in air/creative/lone striker and only hardtackle/show weak foot any fast striker 1st in league after 5 games, 1 goal conceded. Sold off Walcott, Gervinho, Djorou, Santos, Squillaci, Arshavin, chamahk, diaby. bought gotze, dzagoev, niangollan, alaba, okore, adryan, mattheus, ademilson, john perriera. for anyone trying to get the best outta wilshere. inside forward hands down.

also working great for canadian national team. look at simeon jackson lol! 7 goals in 2 games, he destroyed trinidad and cuba! sucks cuz the last save i was doing with arsenal before i started this one, after the first season my youth intake brought one of the best of his generation and it was a canadian! wouldve been a starter for canadian team at 15 and was rotation for my arsenal team right away.
View attachment 282002View attachment 282003

View attachment 281998View attachment 281999View attachment 282000View attachment 282001

Last edited:
Hi Koflok,

I have used your tactic starting from pre-season and got nice results. In the season, I have played 3 matches till now. As I can see, fullbacks have some real positioning problems. FB's generally stick with CB's and forget to mark opposition flanks. That's why I generally conceeded. This is the defending problem.

On the other hand, I used left footed and winger on MR and right footed winger on ML to see some cut outs. But wingers did not make any of it :) My players uses so much short passes in front of opposition goal area, but these passes are generally inefficient. Rarely, they send through balls and I score goal.

That's all I can say for now...

Can you make variations of your tactic then?

A default tactic to use against standard opponents, a version of your tactic that abuses the wings when the opponent is narrow or weak there, and a version to protect yourself from a strong opponent and then hit on the break.

Also, are the combinations I gave solid for a midfield? A Anchorman, a Box to Box, and a Advanced/Deep-Lying Playmaker? I tried making a formation with those 3 types of players but it didn't work and I wouldn't score.

Yeah, making subtle changes to your tactic will make you less predictable for the AI and also make your players more comfortable with playing in different ways. I play the same formation most games, but might play my wingers more defensive if playing at the Camp Nou/Santiago Bernabeu because I know they will be attacking in numbers and I want balance in my defending with little space between my defense and midfield. At the same time, if I'm playing a team like Wigan at home, I might push one of my two DM's higher up on the pitch, making him an attacking option as well. This will give the opposition's defence another threat to deal with, which will upon up their team a bit more.

The combination of an anchor, Box to Box and playmaker is certainly a good option, but seeing that the match engine is playing tricks on us, my guess (and its only a guess) is that this combination will work better after the patch. The biggest problem is that the defenders in the current ME is hopeless, often just standing still while the opposition plays a killer pass, cutting your defense wide open. That's why I play with two defensive midfielders in my 4-2-3-1, putting a lot of pressure on the oppostions midfield. I play them both as DM (support) at the moment, but still not sure if I'll settle on it when the next season starts. I might as well play them both as DM (defensive)!

There's certainly a lot of combination's that can work, but my experience is at least that so far in this game, the anchorman role does not work as good as it probably should. It just doesn't cover enough space to close down on the oppositions midfield which IMO is key to not conceding! I usually prefer anchorman to DM, but for the time being I havent had great success with it.

Good luck, mate!

Update on my Chesterfield game, got promoted easily in the end. Lost just 3 games from December to the end of the season. Bossed it.

Hi Koflok,
Great start with Besiktas...9 wins and 2 Draws... i made a quick fix for full backs;
1. Fullback role set to support
2. Fullback Run From Deep set to sometimes
3. Fullback Cross From set to Deep
4. Fullback Cross Aim set to Far post

But there is a problem with team agression, many yellow card, i think must change tackling to normal ! Here is some screenshots...View attachment 282062View attachment 282063

Yeah, making subtle changes to your tactic will make you less predictable for the AI and also make your players more comfortable with playing in different ways. I play the same formation most games, but might play my wingers more defensive if playing at the Camp Nou/Santiago Bernabeu because I know they will be attacking in numbers and I want balance in my defending with little space between my defense and midfield. At the same time, if I'm playing a team like Wigan at home, I might push one of my two DM's higher up on the pitch, making him an attacking option as well. This will give the opposition's defence another threat to deal with, which will upon up their team a bit more.

The combination of an anchor, Box to Box and playmaker is certainly a good option, but seeing that the match engine is playing tricks on us, my guess (and its only a guess) is that this combination will work better after the patch. The biggest problem is that the defenders in the current ME is hopeless, often just standing still while the opposition plays a killer pass, cutting your defense wide open. That's why I play with two defensive midfielders in my 4-2-3-1, putting a lot of pressure on the oppostions midfield. I play them both as DM (support) at the moment, but still not sure if I'll settle on it when the next season starts. I might as well play them both as DM (defensive)!

There's certainly a lot of combination's that can work, but my experience is at least that so far in this game, the anchorman role does not work as good as it probably should. It just doesn't cover enough space to close down on the oppositions midfield which IMO is key to not conceding! I usually prefer anchorman to DM, but for the time being I havent had great success with it.

Good luck, mate!

The question is, what to change, when to change, and how to change the stuff.

Could you give an example of how you've modified the tactic depending on your opponent and how you knew when to do it and the effect it would have?

I've tested this tactic today with Manchester City. Before I began to use this tactic, I was testing my own made tactic, but that didn't work that well, lost 3 out of 5 pre-season friendlies.

Then, in the competition and with the Community Shield, I used this one. And it did wonders. I at the top of the league after 5 games played. 5 games won, including Arsenal and Liverpool. 11 goals for and only 1 allowed.

I have 2 tips on how to play the tactic at it's full potential:

1. Don't use opposition instructions
2. Change the striker into a 'Target man' instead of 'Advanced Forward'.
3. If you have the money, get Falcao. He's the perfect man for the job.

Using the above 2 tips, I've managed to play my matches so well. Hope it helps for the rest of you.

The question is, what to change, when to change, and how to change the stuff.

Could you give an example of how you've modified the tactic depending on your opponent and how you knew when to do it and the effect it would have?

I'll give you a couple of examples. But I have to add that these changes that I make to my tactic is not necessarily going to give the excact same effect on others. If Koflok is reading this he might have some things to add regarding the tactic he's made, that I guess you are using.

Here are some examples that I hope will give you an idea of what I mean:

Pre game:

I personally like to play more direct when 1. playing a stronger opponent, especially away. If they are a better team they probably have better central midfield players so I dont want to risk losing the ball in the middle of the field. 2. If the course is wet and the rain is pouring down I also like to play direct, rather than short passes. Be careful playing direct if there is a strong wind though.

Take a look at the opposition. Do they have a lot of players injured or suspended? Say you're playing Liverpool and they have Glen Johnson and Kelly out injured, and now they have to play their third choise full back, Wisdom, or even worse, Carragher. If Jose Enrique is playing on the left, its obviously going to be easier creating chanses attacking their right side! Then you can set your team to focus their attacks down the right hand side. If your wingers can play on either side, shift your best winger (fastest if opposition has a really slow full back) to the side you want to focus on (this should also be done during the game of course). If you saw the Tottenham - Maribor game earlier tonight, Spurs exploited the weak right side of Maribor in a brilliant fashion, especially in the first 25 minutes.

Also, you obviously have to look at the formation that they play, but this goes without saying. If they're packing their midfield, you might want to take that into consideration, the same if they're playing with focus on wing play. Look at the oppositions recent results. Take a look at the teams that have beaten them and what formations they used. They might have dropped points against weaker opposition that deployed successful tactics which exploited weaknesses.

How does your opposition usually score goals? If you're playing Stoke away, I'd say its a good bet to focus your training on defensive set pieces. If you're playing Walsall at home in the cup, focus more on attacking movement since you'll meet a very defensive team that will try to give you no room what so ever!

During the game:

First of all, its vital that you don't watch only the key highlights, since this wont give you a proper picture of whats going on with your tactic. Looking at the analysis of your assistant manger can also give you some hints!

I had a good example of tactical change during a game just now. I played Sturm Graz in the qualification round for the Europa League with my QPR. I have a superior team, but with a couple of defenders and my GK out injured I was nervous. I also played with players that are usually on the bench (only two first team regulars) so their match fitness wasn't great. At half time I was down 0-2 and I had no real quality on the bench.. my defenders were losing the aerial battle and Sturm Graz was playing with a deep defensive line that made it difficult for my wingers to cut through. At half time I changed both my wingers from "attack" to "support" as well as changing one of my defensive midfielders from "defense" to "support" (they both had support now"). This meant that every player in my team played with "support" settings except for my striker as complete forward (attack) and centre backs (defense). This meant that 1. my team started to play more passes on the last third of the pitch, being a bit more patient with finding room to work with. 2. Instead of trying to run directly through a pack of defenders, my wingers now moved a bit more freely in front of the oppositions defence, varying their play in width and tempo, opening up room for themselves, and more importantly, each other! This meant my striker got played through on goal after full backs being lured out of position from patient wingers/playmaker, more players in dangerous areas for Sturm Graz to deal with, etc etc. I won the game 4-2. The goals came from very direct changes made at half time, and its always a joy to watch.

There are obviously many, many more situations that can occur, and if there are specific things you want any help with let me know. But hopefully this was helpful!

PS! english isnt my first language, neither in life or in Football Manager :), so please ask if anything is unclear

I'm finding that I get better results and more possession of the ball when I play with "Control" instead of "Attacking" strategy.

Interesting. I will keep note of this and try to test that out.

do we have some final results for the defence part, which of the suggested changes are working?

Well so far I'm still working on the new defense system so it should be ready soon

hey koflok. first of all, sorry for my bad english! i need your help! obviously, this is a great tactic! i read many posts, where people got great success with it! Now i need your advise, please. i have changed to your tactic in the middle of the season, played 5 games with man united and didn´t score a goal! i know, it´s probably not the tactic, and i know i might take some time to get fluid! But zero goals, and not really and chance is all little weird! the game looks fluid until i come to the box! from there my players start to play the ball around of it and pretty much are unable to create space or any chance. its getting pretty frustrating! i play with van percy as a striker and rooney as a am! also i have munian and ale on the wings! i know these three are not really the chelsea-like om´s (i would like to emulate there game! or something like dortmund!), but nonetheless pretty talented! do you hve an idea? what can i do? please it would be really helpful, if you can give me some advise! thanks a lot!!

This is a common issue which I find in particular if you play a strong team. Opponents will park the bus in front of the box and causes your player to have a hard time in picking a through ball.

Try changing the tempo or width. Or if you want something more radical, pull MCL to DMC, and AMC to MCL. It will give more space on the middle and pull defenders because they are marking MCs instead of AMC.

Amazing tactic for Arsenal. Turned fullbacks into support for more stability. I close down all/show to weak foot all wingers/fullbacks, tight mark/closedown/hard tackle/weak foot any strikers and amc that are dangerous in air/creative/lone striker and only hardtackle/show weak foot any fast striker 1st in league after 5 games, 1 goal conceded. Sold off Walcott, Gervinho, Djorou, Santos, Squillaci, Arshavin, chamahk, diaby. bought gotze, dzagoev, niangollan, alaba, okore, adryan, mattheus, ademilson, john perriera. for anyone trying to get the best outta wilshere. inside forward hands down.

also working great for canadian national team. look at simeon jackson lol! 7 goals in 2 games, he destroyed trinidad and cuba! sucks cuz the last save i was doing with arsenal before i started this one, after the first season my youth intake brought one of the best of his generation and it was a canadian! wouldve been a starter for canadian team at 15 and was rotation for my arsenal team right away.
View attachment 282002View attachment 282003

View attachment 281998View attachment 281999View attachment 282000View attachment 282001

Nice results in particular the defense you got there. Did you just change the fullback to support or did you do the changes I suggested as well?

I'll take note of the opponent instruction. Thank you very much for that.

I'm glad that it's working out well for ya.

Cheers

Hi Koflok,

I have used your tactic starting from pre-season and got nice results. In the season, I have played 3 matches till now. As I can see, fullbacks have some real positioning problems. FB's generally stick with CB's and forget to mark opposition flanks. That's why I generally conceeded. This is the defending problem.

On the other hand, I used left footed and winger on MR and right footed winger on ML to see some cut outs. But wingers did not make any of it :) My players uses so much short passes in front of opposition goal area, but these passes are generally inefficient. Rarely, they send through balls and I score goal.

That's all I can say for now...

What team are you using?

The issue with players passing around the ball too much without any penetration ball is an issue I detect with strong team.

I'm working on a solution for that. I find that playing DMC with 2 MCs work pretty well for all teams.
Try pulling your MCL to DMC position and AMC to MCL. Should work well as more space are open up front.

Good luck, mate!

I am currently having combination of DMC anchorman, and 2 MCs of box to box and playmaker in midfield. Working wonders for the team. Creating plenty of chances and give more space for wingers to exploit while having better defense. So yeah I think I'll abandon the AMC soon.

Tried with 2 DMCs (and 1 AMC) to cover more ground in defense but it's not working well for my offense.

Update on my Chesterfield game, got promoted easily in the end. Lost just 3 games from December to the end of the season. Bossed it.

Hi Koflok,
Great start with Besiktas...9 wins and 2 Draws... i made a quick fix for full backs;
1. Fullback role set to support
2. Fullback Run From Deep set to sometimes
3. Fullback Cross From set to Deep
4. Fullback Cross Aim set to Far post

But there is a problem with team agression, many yellow card, i think must change tackling to normal ! Here is some screenshots...View attachment 282062View attachment 282063

I've tested this tactic today with Manchester City. Before I began to use this tactic, I was testing my own made tactic, but that didn't work that well, lost 3 out of 5 pre-season friendlies.

Then, in the competition and with the Community Shield, I used this one. And it did wonders. I at the top of the league after 5 games played. 5 games won, including Arsenal and Liverpool. 11 goals for and only 1 allowed.

I have 2 tips on how to play the tactic at it's full potential:

1. Don't use opposition instructions
2. Change the striker into a 'Target man' instead of 'Advanced Forward'.
3. If you have the money, get Falcao. He's the perfect man for the job.

Using the above 2 tips, I've managed to play my matches so well. Hope it helps for the rest of you.

Nice that it's working out well for you guys.

In terms of tackling, I'm thinking of changing the tackling to normal in the next version. It gives less tackling and cards without compromising much defense

Yes Falcao is just perfect in forward position

What team are you using?

The issue with players passing around the ball too much without any penetration ball is an issue I detect with strong team.

I'm working on a solution for that. I find that playing DMC with 2 MCs work pretty well for all teams.
Try pulling your MCL to DMC position and AMC to MCL. Should work well as more space are open up front.

I play with Kizilcahamamspor A.S. from Turkey Div 2.

Passing around problem is a general issue I think, not only playing against strong teams but also playing against equal or weak teams, I observed that problem. I will give a try to your advice.

Thanks

This is a common issue which I find in particular if you play a strong team. Opponents will park the bus in front of the box and causes your player to have a hard time in picking a through ball.

Try changing the tempo or width. Or if you want something more radical, pull MCL to DMC, and AMC to MCL. It will give more space on the middle and pull defenders because they are marking MCs instead of AMC.

So it is more an improvement of the AI, because in fm 12 they didn´t do that, or did they? anyway, thank you! i´ll try that! Also, do you think, that rooney can play the am role behind van persie?? Or do i need an özil or maybe götze-type of player? Are you planning to tweak the tactic, so it will be a little bit easier to score goals for top-teams? also, i realized that you play with a very deep defensive-line? should i try to push them a little bit up, because in real-life, teams in the 4-2-3-1, like dortmund or chelsea mostly play with a high d-line, to support the midfield, and use their cb´s, like mats hummels, to build up and create chances! thanks a lot!

I play with Kizilcahamamspor A.S. from Turkey Div 2.

Passing around problem is a general issue I think, not only playing against strong teams but also playing against equal or weak teams, I observed that problem. I will give a try to your advice.

Thanks

Then it may be a problem in general then. AMC seems to be the problem. Wingers tend to play it safe and pass it to him instead of giving a through ball forward. Try changing the role of AMC from Advanced Playmaker to Attacking Midfielder support then? Observe whether they still kept giving it to him?

If still then probably AMC will just be removed completely as it seems that he's taking space out of wingers to run through.

So it is more an improvement of the AI, because in fm 12 they didn´t do that, or did they? anyway, thank you! i´ll try that! Also, do you think, that rooney can play the am role behind van persie?? Or do i need an özil or maybe götze-type of player? Are you planning to tweak the tactic, so it will be a little bit easier to score goals for top-teams? also, i realized that you play with a very deep defensive-line? should i try to push them a little bit up, because in real-life, teams in the 4-2-3-1, like dortmund or chelsea mostly play with a high d-line, to support the midfield, and use their cb´s, like mats hummels, to build up and create chances! thanks a lot!

Yeah I am changing the d-line to a litte more push up on the next update.

Rooney should do fine although not spectacular. Because the current setting focuses the AMC to provide assist whereas Rooney is more of a second striker. You can try making him as a Attacking midfielder instead of advanced playmaker so that he's not always become the pass-to man. It also may 'crack' the problem with players playing around the ball too much without any penetration .

Then it may be a problem in general then. AMC seems to be the problem. Wingers tend to play it safe and pass it to him instead of giving a through ball forward. Try changing the role of AMC from Advanced Playmaker to Attacking Midfielder support then? Observe whether they still kept giving it to him?

If still then probably AMC will just be removed completely as it seems that he's taking space out of wingers to run through.

Thanks for your response, I will give a try and I will be in touch :)