Cheers Runeaa for the very detailed feedbacks. Appreciate your input and always love to see stuff like this.

And what a good timing I was just about to explain what I've been up to with the tactic. And pretty much it covers what Runeaa just pointed out.

___

The major keypoints in terms of things I need to improve from the first tactic was mainly
1. Fullback running all over the place and always out of position to cover their man and through balls from the middle
2. Passing from backline to midfield is sometimes not that smooth.
3. Too many passes around the box without any penetrating balls.

Okay so first of all was to address the defence. As mentioned I changed the settings a while back ago to support with deep crossing. That is proven to be more effective rather than having a very attacking fullbacks, considering I have no DMC to cover.

I then tried playing with wingbacks. This was to address the transition from backline to midfield. Since wingback is a bit further positioned than central defenders, they provided good passing option and can connect backline-midfield better. So yeah that issue is easily solved by wingbacks.

The downside with wingbacks was it's way too attacking. So I decided to go with 1 DMC and 2 MCs. It also to address the 'passing too much around the box' issue. With no AMC, the wingers were given more space to run into and create havoc in the opponent's area. The result were really good. A while ago I mentioned I had a good run with Chelsea using this tactic. Wingbacks are in particular dangerous here - popping up to dangerous position. Despite of that I decided to play with the formation further because the 2 MCs is pretty ineffective in this case because no one really 'in control' as playmaker was at MCR position and most of the play is done on right side of the field.

So I tried further by playing 2 DMC and 1 MC (playmaker). The idea was to have a 'central' playmaker that is not too further up the pitch and have 2 supporting MCs behind him to make passes. The result is not that good since it was too defensive and not enough ball forward. So the idea was scratched off immediately.

I then went back to the initial formation (but still with wingbacks), only difference was making the 2 MC more defensive and AMC more offensive. AMC is now more of a shadow striker as he makes run from deep often, to make space for wingers to run into. Results were so so. I did not like as the striker were disrupted by the presence of AMC and he did not get many scoring opportunities. So yeah, it was deleted immediately.

Finally (now) I'm doing a 3 MC formation. Playmaker is on central with higher mentality and run from deep with 2 slightly more defensive midfielder supporting on MCL and MCR. The idea is to have a similar to 4-2-3-1 formation but slightly back AMC to give space to wingers. So far so good as everything is going according to plan. I managed to get plenty of chances while surprisingly keeping possession very well (averaging 65% with Chelsea and ~60% with Newcastle). With some tweakings (will be discussed below) I've applied on the back, clean sheets were coming as well.

Now with this tactic. The area just outside is rather lacking of support as wingers are too attacking and make forward runs way too often. So I changed them to support with mixed run from deep. That way they sometimes drop deep and sometimes go forward. It gives them the opportunity to build up play as well as becoming a goalscoring threat.

Note that I've been having attacking wingbacks with this tactic. As said, it's good that they always pop up at dangerous position and sometimes having a go at the goal. The problem is; this causes the wingers to drift outside and thus becoming less dangerous. So I decided to 'sacrifice' the attacking fullbacks and having them as support, crossing from deep. This way they stay wide and wingers can attack the box better.

Finally, the defensive tweak. As many had mentioned, push up defense is better with a 4-2-3-1 formation, so I did that. It gave better possession and defend in overall. I also change the marking of backline to man marking as it seems like zonal marking is just messed up. I also change the marking to loose (not tight), as tight marking usually causes two players to defend the player on the ball too much and ended up opening up space for other players to run into. There are suggestions of having a cover defender but I'm really not fond of it as the space between the defender can be exploited by good forwards to break the offside trap.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Just to sum it up, the new version of tactic should still gonna be a 4-5-1, specifically 2-2-3-2-1. One slight 'issue' right now is that my striker is not scoring as much as the old tactic as now scoring chances are distributed rather evenly to almost all attacking players. I'm trying to improve the scoring opportunities given to the main striker, hopefully I can find it soon.

Any suggestions from what I wrote will be welcomed.

Cheers

Wall of text. If someone actually read that and gave me an input, I will give you a free candy.

Last edited:
I'm using Shouts

Push Higher Up
Work ball into box
Hassle Opponents

And like i said i changed Zone Marking to Man Marking and in my opinion its going very well ... 4 Games 4 Won 13-2 goals as HSV in Bundesliga

Glad that it's working for you guys. Got any suggestions to which area that needs to be improved?

Nothing really its just at times v big teams i try not to take many risks. And i try and tweak a little bit to keep the ball a bit better, possession based football. You obviously can not win every match although i have come close on my save and have been unbeaten in the league for about 18 matches but lost v liverpool as i rested my players for the cup final which i won 4-1 v chelsea .... And also if you have the right CB's and FB's and when they are settled in im sure conceding goals wont be that much of an issue for me.

Once again well done mate top tactic ... Will post more updates and screenshots come the end of my season or/and the season after.

Thank you

Great work Koflok!

The 2 supporting MC`s, wich roles do they have? did you just use the same roles/instructions? Im positive about the center AP ( i use attack ) for Wazza, he trains for center midfield position and is comfortable there only after 1 month of training.. will test your tweaks out..

View attachment 282330

made the changes you talked about and had an absolute horrific game, defensivly! my defence was exploited again and again! was awefull! First game after changes was made so maybe why.. Gk ( Lindegaard ) had a awefull game aswell, 3.6 rating! worst ive ever seen! in attack we did great! the striker scored hat-trick. Will you upload the tactic you are using soon or wait until perfected?

Wall of text. If someone actually read that and gave me an input, I will give you a free candy.

I've read it and there are some really good points. The one DMC and two MCs are working out well for me. Granero is playing as advanced playmaker "support" next to Honda who is playing as a box-to-box. Granero has 17 assists in the league alone after 35 games. Could it have something to do with the player you used in that position? Just a thought.

What team instructions do you use, because that seems to have very varying effects on my team, with little or no consistency. I use either short passes and control, or standard on both.

Edit: I also struggle with getting a solid counter attacking version. I try to close down less, as well as playing direct passes, but it doesnt seem to work very good.

Last edited:
Right now, at least for me, putting strategies on counter instead of attacking, drastically reduces the amount of passing around the box. I also reduced the time wasting and incresed the tempo, resulting in a lot more chances!

Hi koflok, got fantastic results with goals galore 12. Had to try 13 when you released it :D

I know there are still issues to iron out but this is what I've observed half a season in.
1. Fullbacks seem to be unwilling to cross. Realised that you have cross on sometimes, can i ask why? (Changed crossing to often in my case resulting in alaba chipping in with a few more assists)

2. The BWM has too much of the ball and doesn't know what to do with it. In my case, I have Nainggolan on my arsenal save, he either passes sideways or just dwells on it till he loses the ball. (I think this is one of the reasons why there isn't enough penetration as mentioned before)

3. When countering, say a 3v2 situation, with me having 1 man with the ball and 2 racing through the middle, the one with the ball doesn't seem to be willing to cross. Instead, he chooses to pass it out to my full back which just ruins the counter. I've had arshavin, cazorla, chamberlain do this.

4. Is it still impossible to get the keeper to do only short passes as with fm12? Szczesny's kicking is just awful and worst still, I have no tall players in midfield to win the headers. Cazorla, arteta, nainggolan, walcott, arshavin, ox :(

5. As mentioned before, with the amc, wide players dont seem to cut in as much as with the fm12 version.

Is it possible for you to upload your latest version of tacs (the latter version from your "wall of text")?

You've done a lot of changes and I want to try it now :) as it's done 60% good success so far.

Cheers in advanced

i need help, ive used this tactic for a season with southampton, my first season i finished 7th witch is great for a team like soton but the tactic seemed to fail towards the end of the season and im now in my second season and havent gone above 15th and nearly got sacked. please help.

@koflok, i read it, but instead of thoughts i'd much rather would use the practical approach of trying your modified tactic and give you some feedback than. So, hand it over. 8-|

how the **** you pull that off Severin!? im not gettin close to results like that man...

another thing i would like to ask the "comunity"! have you guys experienced that a tactic is smashing the first 8-10 games and then gets more and more useless the more fluid it gets??!! anyone can explain me this?

Yea, im getting desperate here! Im seriously quitting this game! how the **** can everybody have success on this game and not me??? It happens exaclly the same thing week after week after week! from fm12 too now! everything starts GREAT! im winning and winning and everything is great! and then, out of nowwhere, BOOM!!!! and its ******* over! i loose and loose and draw at home and the **** is on! this game must hate me so bad! maybe i should take the hint and leave the ******* computer alone and stop wasting hours and hours with this bullshit! How its possible to win the league with a semi decent side like newcastle and im not even top 5 after 25 games with United??? to **** with this.. sayanora!

Last edited:
you aint the only one mate :p. I am struggling to restrain myself from putting my fist through my screen at times. I was arsenal and was conceding 4 goals plus regularly, and most goals were coming right after I scored. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

amazing stuff, have been following your work for quite a while, and very pleased with it, have you release any revised versions? thanks again ;)

Hi Koflok, I'm playing with chelsea. Won the league one point in front of man u first season, using a 4-2-3-1 tactic with the left offensive midfielder set as ofensive playmaker and my striker as poacher. Also won champions league (2-0 barca in the final).
Anyway, my results were very often 1-0, 2-1 and stuff like that. My point is that I was very lucky to win anything haha. However, season 2. I'm using your tactic, have been doing so for some games now, anyway, here comes the results; 0-0 N.castle, community shield, won on penalties, 1-1 everton home, they equalized in like min 87, 1-0 wolves away, 2-0 man c the supercup (one goal freekick) 1-0 away n.castle and 2-0 home celtic , champions.

The results are pretty okay, but I think i havn't got enough goals in the games...
I'm having between 12-27 shots / game but only like 5-12 on goal and its not very "clear" goalchances.
Im playing like , curtois/cech, Cole, Terry - chaloba/luiz - Azpilicueta/lahm,
Fellaini/ramires - mikel/lamps
Hazard - mata -oscar/shürrle/moses
Torres/Llorente.

Got any tips for me? Its just the goalscoring that lacks. Think im gonna change my fullbacks a bit more defensive and so on.

Thanks for sharing your tactics man! :D

Sorry for going missing for a couple of days guys. Just had a long fly back to Indonesia yesterday and slept all day. :D