League of Ireland - Real football, real fans

falkirk would win the league off ireland they play much better football than what i just saw in that "match"

no-offence but the LOI is not even spl standard never mind championship standard... bohomiens might just survive in league 1 if they are lucky...

Do you watch LoI or are you just going by the video?

falkirk would win the league off ireland they play much better football than what i just saw in that "match"

no-offence but the LOI is not even spl standard never mind championship standard... bohomiens might just survive in league 1 if they are lucky...

Clearly you are educated on the matter :/

Ive never seen a LOI match, but I think im going to have to watch one soon, just so i can have an opinion :p

lol gretna dont even exist anymore

the fact is except from bohmiens the rest of the league of ireland teams dont have the players to survive in league 1 simple as that

That is complete bullshit. The likes of Bohemians would destroy most league 2 teams and most league 1 teams + do well in Championship. The league is a much higher standard than u think

You can keep calling it bullshit, it doesn't prove your point.

I can the likes of Rochdale being at a similar level as Bohs

I did witness a bit of a shock result last year in Tallaght though.
I'm a Hibbies fan and went to the match with a few scottish mates who live here and Shamrock rovers beat Hibernian 1 nil.

It was a **** match but rovers dominated from start to finish.

Bohemians are a much higher standard than Rochdale.

Yeah I heard about that. I reckon Rovers and Bohs would be mid table SPL sides. A celtic league would be a great idea. Rovers also matched Real Madrid, only losing 1-0. Like to see Rochdale do that eh?

Are you actaully telling me that Rovers MATCHED Real Madrid, oh my days you lot are in dream land

Are you actaully telling me that Rovers MATCHED Real Madrid, oh my days you lot are in dream land
He isn't talking rubbish. I'm not even from that part of the world so he isn't in dreamland

I remember that game, SSN were creaming about it on SSN and it's build up, Shamrock only played reserves and trialists as well, it was Madrid's pre-season and Benzema scored only goal, rubbish game me thinks. I think Bohemains and Shamrock could easily compete in SPL, L1 and maybe the Championship, not to sure about Championship though.

Thanks Jamie and Jack! Yeah Rovers DID match Real Madrid with a back-up team and nearly scored a fair few times. Stephen Rice was amazing in that match.

And yeah Bohs and Rovers would at least be big L1 sides!

dont be so ignorant guys, hes a real fan because he thinks his club is great, its not his fault hes irish, hes not saying they were the same standard of a club, real madrid named a first team against bohemians and bohemians played very nicely

In my opinon, League Of Ireland> League 1

Considering Pat McCourt and Niall McGinn both are at Celtic, David Ford at Milwall and others also.

Gary Deegan is now at Coventry

Murphy at Ipswich

That lad at Birmingham

Kevin Doyle and Shane Long from Cork City

LOI produces some good players, maybe not PL quality but still good.

I am not totally sure that Irish football can compete in the higher levels of English football and to the standards of the Championship.Given that teams such as Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers are obviously two of the biggest clubs in Ireland's domestic competitions,it would not seem possible for them to hold their own against what seem to be a near-dominant Newcastle United,West Bromwich Albion and Nottingham Forest within the second tier.

But I get where Finn is coming from.There has been some great football played by Irish teams in recent years,especially during pre-season across the border and they could sustain maybe a mid top top half finish in League One,just for a quick trial because they certainly aren't of Blue Square Premier or lower level.

And to be fairly honest Scottish football is actually worse off than Irish football.In comparison,there are only two,maybe three top teams in Scottish football that dominate season in,season out and that's Rangers and Celtic.It gets fairly tedious after a while and it's only the likes of Sky Sports News that keeps reporting on it to make it fresh.

For one season I would like to see Bohemians,Shamrock Rovers and Derry City in the Championship and see how they fair against English promotion chasers on new boys from League One.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Let's see a few more Irish players being brought into the Championship

I am not totally sure that Irish football can compete in the higher levels of English football and to the standards of the Championship.Given that teams such as Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers are obviously two of the biggest clubs in Ireland's domestic competitions,it would not seem possible for them to hold their own against what seem to be a near-dominant Newcastle United,West Bromwich Albion and Nottingham Forest within the second tier.

But I get where Finn is coming from.There has been some great football played by Irish teams in recent years,especially during pre-season across the border and they could sustain maybe a mid top top half finish in League One,just for a quick trial because they certainly aren't of Blue Square Premier or lower level.

And to be fairly honest Scottish football is actually worse off than Irish football.In comparison,there are only two,maybe three top teams in Scottish football that dominate season in,season out and that's Rangers and Celtic.It gets fairly tedious after a while and it's only the likes of Sky Sports News that keeps reporting on it to make it fresh.

For one season I would like to see Bohemians,Shamrock Rovers and Derry City in the Championship and see how they fair against English promotion chasers on new boys from League One.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Let's see a few more Irish players being brought into the Championship

I agree with most of that but Derry City went bust and are playing in First Division now so they definately wouldn't be of Championship standard. Bohs and Rovers would and maybe Cork City (although they have financial difficulties too). Maybe St. Pats or Dundalk. They would be good in league 1 anyway

always had a soft spot for U.C.D, have they been relegated by now or are they still clinging on? :)

I agree with most of that but Derry City went bust and are playing in First Division now so they definately wouldn't be of Championship standard. Bohs and Rovers would and maybe Cork City (although they have financial difficulties too). Maybe St. Pats or Dundalk. They would be good in league 1 anyway

Didnt go bust, were offering players more than LOI allows, side contracts.
They got caught and the board, all but 1 fled. Now they are in the process of bringing back old players. At least Mark Farren is back!!

I'm sorry but some BSP players WOULD be the best players in the Irish League. Chris Holroyd, James Constable etc. would bag goals for fun