League of Ireland - Real football, real fans

LOI would be the same standard as league 2. Bohemiens would not be at championship standard! Possibly league 1 14thish..

Gary Deegan is now at Coventry

Murphy at Ipswich

That lad at Birmingham

Kevin Doyle and Shane Long from Cork City

LOI produces some good players, maybe not PL quality but still good.

Keith Fahey :wub:

i don't follow the league, but i do enjoy being one of the teams in the irish league on FIFA manager mode, i mean on FIFA 08 (i think) i managed to make Bohemians a 4 star team before getting bored.

reading these comments, i may have to look up some matches on youtube and see what they are like, it sounds interesting.

Jason Byrne Vs. Chris Hollroyd? LOL! No contest

Gary Twigg Vs. James Constable? LMAO! Less contest.

Bohs and Rovers would be Championship level.

Most teams would be league 1 and the bottom few would be league 2 standard.

All that **** about BSP is innacurate.

Yeah James O'Shea will be class. In my opinion he was probably the best right winger in LOI. Maybe just behind Joe Ndo (Bohemians) and Stephen Rice (Shamrock Rovers).

O'shea looks alright from what I have seen :)

I respect that you are a massive fan of Irish football looking at the way you talk about your country's domestic football,but be realistic.Are Bohemians really that good to sustain a place in England's second tier? One of Europe's top five in football?

Look at the cons.

I like the Northern Irish league, just because I no more about it, I like Linfield in that league because they seem to have good fans etc. But in LOI I did like U.C.D just because of Gary Dicker etc but thats about it.

Someone asked were UCD still in the Prem. They got relegated but they won the first division last season so they're back up :D. Saw them play against da Youths! Classy side

The LOI though not of a great standard is of a higher standard than a lot of people on here give it credit for.The top LOI teams have done very well in europe in the last 10 years.Bohs St.Pats Cork City and Derry have all gone close to getting into the league stages of the champs league and europa league.Plenty of players have left LOI clubs and done very well in england and scotland.As for those who think the LOI is blue square standard get real.Take for example Tadgh Purcell who joined Darlington a league 2 team recently.he has scored about 7 goals in 5 games.he was released by shamrock rovers after the season ended and he rarely played for rovers.As for blue square players playing in LOI.Well Darren Mansaram joined my team Dundalk and he was ****.couldnt cut it in LOI.

Well said Stevie! Agree with everything u said.

Another example would be Kevin Doyle. In the LOI, Kevin Doyle was a good but definately not top striker. In the 3 seasons he played with Cork City, he scored 5 in the first season, 13 in the second season and 7 in the third. As soon as he moved to Reading he banged in 18 Championship goals in his first season, then 13 prem goals, 6 prem goals and 18 championship goals over the next three seasons. This is when Cork City were at their best too and he was definately not the top striker in the LOI.

Quoted Message: Originally Posted by Finn
That is absolute bullshit! Have u ever been to an LOI game? The atmosphere is class and we have a fairly high standard league in our country and then come people like u playing it down. No one that is properly Irish pretends we don't have a league. Bohs and Rovers get over 3,000 fans at home games. Thats hardly everyone pretending we don't have a league
The league is still a poor quality, mate. The top Irish teams might just about make it in League Two, don't know where this Championship **** came from

----------

have to agree with you there mate. Ive supported rovers since 1994 and went to the majority of games for the past 6 years and sorry FINN but your talking through your **** rovers and bohs may look good in the league of ireland but they would be trashed week in week out out by the likes of newcastle,west brom, middlesboro, cardiff, sheff utd, notts forrest. championship level your having a laugh the would be lucky to survive mid table league one.

look bottom line is im a staunch LOI fan but we have to get our heads out of the clouds .bohs are the only professional team left the rest are semi-pro. we also have to remeber that no teams in championship, league 1, league2 are semi-pro so this makes your point totally wrong

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

The LOI though not of a great standard is of a higher standard than a lot of people on here give it credit for.The top LOI teams have done very well in europe in the last 10 years.Bohs St.Pats Cork City and Derry have all gone close to getting into the league stages of the champs league and europa league.Plenty of players have left LOI clubs and done very well in england and scotland.As for those who think the LOI is blue square standard get real.Take for example Tadgh Purcell who joined Darlington a league 2 team recently.he has scored about 7 goals in 5 games.he was released by shamrock rovers after the season ended and he rarely played for rovers.As for blue square players playing in LOI.Well Darren Mansaram joined my team Dundalk and he was ****.couldnt cut it in LOI.

blue square is way below the LOI stanard that league is muck. i used to watch it on setanta. Tadgh was a great goalscorer for us so it proves that LOI is the same standard as League 1 and 2

i follow drogheda in some way as part of my family lives there and one member is a massive fan, goes to games all across europe to watch them, are they any good?

i follow drogheda in some way as part of my family lives there and one member is a massive fan, goes to games all across europe to watch them, are they any good?

They won the league in 2007 but went into financial difficulties and lost all their top players. Finished bottom half the last two seasons. Getting better again though

im sorry finn, your a top bloke and all but the LOI isn't on the same level of the championship or some of the teams in league one. for example, how many top league one players would favour a move to the LOI, none. im not doubting its a good level off football but it isn't up there with the best england have to offer. only have to look at the stats, the championship is the sixth biggest league in europe with league one i think 10th or 11th, LOI i dont recall even being on the list.

im sorry finn, your a top bloke and all but the LOI isn't on the same level of the championship or some of the teams in league one. for example, how many top league one players would favour a move to the LOI, none. im not doubting its a good level off football but it isn't up there with the best england have to offer. only have to look at the stats, the championship is the sixth biggest league in europe with league one i think 10th or 11th, LOI i dont recall even being on the list.

They wouldn't favour a move to LOI because the moneys ****. We're low on the list because theres no money and TV coverage is only starting to grow. LOI is a fairly high standard but it's played on crappy pitches with crappy sheds for stands in most cases. Instead of under the bright lights and camera flashes of the EPL, championship etc.

I quite like the LOI, and they have produced some quality players, like Shane Long, Kevin Doyle for example, but those players are championship quality and they are seen as the best players to come from the LOI, I think any of the teams from the LOI would struggle in the Championship, but I think they would probably be mid table in league one for the stronger teams like the boh's and rovers, but the rest I would say are a league two standard.