Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me get any consistency out of this game at all.. I've tried several clubs lower league and premiership, and it's like a bloomin lottery, win 5 lose 3 draw 1 etc... If I am being thick as pig poo then I need a club to manage with someone's help, and then guidance on how to manage them, but then it''s not my game then ?? HELP PLEASE !!!! In addition some of the scorelines are just nonsense when a team wins 6-3 lose 4-1 then win 8-5 ?? I realise this is only a game, but I htought this new version was a step closer to realism ???

Last edited:
A bit late for me now but if you truly want to learn, I have some free time tomorrow .

Hi there.. me again... have decided to go for Barnet.... will study the players first before doing anything else, then let you know what I think...

Look for their strengths and weaknesses. Make a list of them and see what you should really take advantage of and what you actually can't do with the players.

Then look at the personalities of the players, their mental stats and the " report". After this you will get a better picture of what you can actually expect of the season. Remember that the further down the league system you get, the more equal all teams are in terms of quality. If having a team without born leaders etc, and having inconsistant players, this will be reflected in the results.

So... Instead of looking at the results too much, try focus on squad building. Where would you like to be in 5 years, what kind of football would you like to play in 5 years time. Set up a realistic goal and work towards it.

Thanks for the assistance, will continue to keep you posted on thoughts / questions.... Cheers

TBH,

So, just an example. Benfica have an ambitious squad as team mentality. Which conclusions did you make? I mean, a more agressive tactic and approach?

TBH,

So, just an example. Benfica have an ambitious squad as team mentality. Which conclusions did you make? I mean, a more agressive tactic and approach?

Thats more in the lines of " they will work hard to improve them selves in training "

Look at their Stamina, Work rate. Determination to see if you can play a high energy approach,

Give it time. Some teams especially when you've just taken the reins and are building your squad takes time for the players to gel. Once they get 'familiar' with your tactics and each other (and new transfers, staff etc.) you'll get a more consistent effort from them.

Now comes the tactics part... I am thinking of using just 2 formations 4-4-2, with a balanced control approach, and 4-3-1-2 with a rigid counter attack style... I can then tweak the tactics from there to suit.... here goes and fingers crossed.....

Now comes the tactics part... I am thinking of using just 2 formations 4-4-2, with a balanced control approach, and 4-3-1-2 with a rigid counter attack style... I can then tweak the tactics from there to suit.... here goes and fingers crossed.....

Just a thought. Why play a more attacking formation when playing Counter. Also, is this a 4312 with Wingers or are you going to use 2 totaly different approaches ?. If so, why, what are the benefits ?

As you have put his question to me, it has made me think a little more, if I have two different approaches then the squad would not gel together as quick in comparison to say two very similar approaches ?? The reason for the 4-3-1-2 is without wingers and was designed for pitches with a narrow width ... could this be where I am going wrong ??

As you have put his question to me, it has made me think a little more, if I have two different approaches then the squad would not gel together as quick in comparison to say two very similar approaches ?? The reason for the 4-3-1-2 is without wingers and was designed for pitches with a narrow width ... could this be where I am going wrong ??

My point was more that it would be weird needing to have both wingers and backup wingers, as well as many central players. Why not focus on one typ of formation. like a 442-ish, or 451-ish and then use 2 formations within the "ish"

Dont look too much at the pitch size. I think you will find that regulations have made it so that they will be more or less the same.

Thought I'd give a little tip. I've finished a season in the Northern League Division 1 using a truly woeful team-at first (Newcastle Blue Star which I brought back from extinct in editor). The players were initially of very, very poor quality, but as it was an amateur club I was able to bring in reinforcements, but the key attributes I looked for were pace, fitness, teamwork and workrate. My primary formation was initially a very basic 4-4-2 with the following: rigid formation, drilling the crosses, passing short, medium tempo, sticking to position, stand off players, fairly deep line, no playmaker, zonal marking (due to poor positioning and poor concentration levels) and creativity restricted and used a balanced approach with standard philosophy. At first I had a few bumps in the road, but after a few matches it started to work. However as I started to have less success with the 4-4-2 I pushed the left and right midfielders up to make them AM's and as a result, caused problems for the opposition defences. Although I stuck to only one formation type in the entire season, because the midfielders were versatile and quick enough, I was able to adjust accordingly during the matches if I fell behind or was heading for a draw.

As a result I achieved promotion in my first season though I was tipped to finish 21st, losing 10 and drawing 12. I also used absolutely no pregame instructions before kickoff. And because I stuck to one formation, they were able to adapt to it and gel fairly quickly.

Hope that gives a bit of help

Ok will start with this and work from there.. will keep posting guys, and thanks again for the tip.. I do tend to drift away from a plan from time to time, so I need to stick more to my guns as it were