Life After Depor...

• Thread starter Thread starter Lippo255
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 995
  • Views Views 319K
Congrats buddy! I stand corrected and will refrain from making such comments in the future ;)

Manuel's Musings - September.​

"Well, what a month September turned out to be! I was aiming for 8 points & we walk away with a staggering 12!

Impressive wins against Sevilla, Villarreal & Barcelona as well as an expected win over newly promoted Sporting. The only blemish was a 2-1 loss to Rayo in which Pablo Insua was sent off.

Once again, performance wise, there hasn't been many bad ones. Veteran fullback Luisinho very impressive. Ditto the likes of Abdulrahman, Renteria, Bicho, Anita, Ezequiel...... well you get the picture, I could be here all day."

ekCHjzA.jpg

Preview - October.

QKwnsw3.jpg

"October is shaping as a much quieter month with just the 3 games.

We start with a trip to 2nd placed Valencia, another tough test of our credentials, before hosting 19th placed Almeria & then another away trip to 15th placed Real Betis.

In all I think 6 points is realistic though I will be aiming for a draw against Valencia so don't be surprised if we walk away with 7 the way things are going!"

Gg1BnCd.jpg

eD59gDX.jpg

Well, that was a lot easier then I had expected. The clubs finances are beginning to look better &, the way we've started the season, will hopefully only improve so thought now was as good as time as any to ask & what do you know? Not a prob! :)

zkEmSUu.png

pXMd8cR.jpg

Valencia 2 - Deportivo 4

Goals - Rabello (22), De Paul (28), Abdulrahman (33), Lucas (42), Anita (64), Pozuelo (72)

P.O.M. - Omar Abdulrahman (Deportivo)

ZlNQuWr.jpg

"We started this game horribly. Valencia were all over us!

For the first 20 minutes I don't even think we made it into the Valencia half let alone got a shot off. When Bryan Rabello gave Valencia the lead on 22 minutes I almost felt relieved. Perhaps that will snap us out of it?

Nope, just 6 minutes later & Rodrigo De Paul had them 2 goals to the good & I was honestly beginning to fear a drubbing!

That second goal was the turning point though. From that point Omar Abdulrahman decided it was time to put on a show.

First he floated past a couple of defenders, strolled into their box & drove a low shot past the keeper to hand us a life line before playing a delightful cross field **** over the top straight into the path of Lucas to equalise.

I could barely believe it, not only had we fought back but we were dominating 2nd placed Valencia!

The half came & went with little change of flow to the game. It was all one way traffic. Our way!

Just after the hour mark we had the lead when an Abdulrahman shot could only be parried by the Valencia keeper & Vurnon Anita reacted the quickest to tap it in.

8 minutes later Alejandro Pozuelo put the game beyond doubt with what had to of been his first touch of the game, after replacing the injured Abdulrahman.

Another remarkable performance after looking all but gone at the half hour mark. Sensational!"

ZspRGuf.jpg

yI4PY5A.jpg

Up to 2nd place! Who'd have thought! Just speechless at the moment!

Fantastic start mate! Killing it.

I'll refrain from making any more statements about the attractiveness of the table...

I love how you made it so the other stories on the front page are also about what's happening that season.

I started my own journeyman save after following this story for a bit.

egxmCS5.png

WAMAST6.jpg

Deportivo 2 - Almeria 1

Goals - N'Djeng (17), Zongo (24), Medunjanin (90+1, pen)

P.O.M. - Jony (Almeria)

bBOOBHa.jpg

"This was the complete opposite of the Valencia game. For the first 20 minutes we were good but the 70 minutes that followed was the worst performance I've seen from the club, this year or last!

To put this one into context, we took the lead in the 17th minute with a Yannick N'Djeng header from a Michael Lumb cross. That was our 6th shot on goal. The next time we had a shot was in the 91st minute when we were awarded what can only be described as a dubious penalty.

Almeria are 19th! That's how ***** we were! For 70 minutes we couldn't threaten the 2nd worst side in the competition! ****, we couldn't even string together enough passes to get out of our own area most of the time!

I fielded a fairly heavily rotated squad for this match so perhaps that was partly responsible. Needless to say there was not a single person who put their hand up & said "Hey coach, pick me! I deserve a chance." just a whole heap of dead weight! Disgusted!"

ZFe9ws2.jpg

P8JXk0t.jpg

Still in second place but on this performance not for long!

PpKpRNi.jpg

So we draw the only team to have beaten us so far this year in the cup, Rayo. A chance for revenge!

piDZu0x.png

derkGOl.jpg

Real Betis 0 - Deportivo 2

Goals - Ezequiel (25), Omar A. (46)

P.O.M. - Bicho (Deportivo)

l0bE90s.jpg

"Another game where we were far from our best. We seem to be playing in spurts at the moment, which is a bit of a worry.

We started this one slowly with Betis getting the better of the early exchanges. They failed to create any clear goal scoring chances but nevertheless were controlling possession & field position.

On 25 minutes a great individual run down the left flank by Bicho culminated in the youngster whipping in a cross to the far post for Ezequiel to tap in & give us the lead.

The goal seemed to spur us on as we dominated the rest of the half & had a few chances to extend our lead even further.

At the half I told the boys not to become complacent, the points aren't in the bag yet!

From the kick off we worked the ball well & when Bicho cut into the box, got to the by-line & cut a ball back for Omar Abdulrahman to riffle the ball into the back of the net our lead was doubled & the youngster had his 2nd assist for the game.

Betis came back into the match after that, whether it be through determination or our own complacency, I'm still not sure but in any case we managed to hold them out & keep a clean sheet in the process. Another 3 points but once again we were far from our best!"

KAlepqT.jpg

1pKmnVi.jpg

sUMHjul.jpg

Recent performances have convinced me that the squad needs more depth & competition for positions.

I felt as though central pair Vurnon Anita & Ruben Perez were too much in the same mould so have moved for former Tottenham midfielder, & French international, Etienne Capoue. Hopefully he will add a bit of defensive starch to our midfield & compliment what we already have. That's the plan anyway.

Manuel's working some magic here mate. I always maintain that one of the best signs of a good side is one that can pick up 3 points when playing below their best.

G1NVJa1.png

6Tz91uA.jpg

Deportivo 3 - Athletic 4

Goals - Omar A. (8), Kike Sola (31), Renteria (42), Ruben Perez (59), Guillermo (63, 74), Mikel Rico (71)

P.O.M. - Guillermo (Athletic)

wQPMopY.jpg

"Yet another inconsistent performance!

We started on fire & Omar Abdulrahman put us ahead after just 8 minutes with a well taken strike from around the penalty spot after some good lead up play.

Unfortunately, as seems to be the case recently, we then fell asleep & no amount of yelling was snapping us out of it. In the 31st minute the inevitable Athletico equaliser came through Kike Sola. There was nothing special about it, just poor marking & lazy defending.

The equaliser snapped us out of our slumber & once again we were looking good. 3 minutes from the break we were back in the lead through Andres Renteria, the Colombian getting on the end of a Ruben Perez through ball to slot home.

At the break I warned against complacency & it seemed to work as we started the 2nd well & went 2 up when Ruben Perez once again fired in from distance.

Our lead was to be short lived however as our defence went missing allowing Guillermo to pull one back before 2 goals in quick succession ended our night.

We tried hard in the final minutes to equalise but after a defensive display like that we quite frankly didn't deserve to. Just our second loss of the season. Not time to panic yet but our performances are declining at an alarming rate!"

J8ohuYg.jpg

xiBos5t.jpg

Last edited:
Back