Life After Depor...

• Thread starter Thread starter Lippo255
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 995
  • Views Views 319K

jcswHFC.png

4yBW18h.jpg

Athletico 3 - Deportivo 2

Goals - Ruiz (2), Correa (32, 65), Ezequiel (72) Lucas Moura (90+2)

P.O.M. - Angel Correa (Athletico)

fL0SETB.jpg

"Same old story I'm afraid. Fast start followed by long periods of sleepiness!

We took the lead through Victor Ruiz in just the second minute when the big man escaped his marker to nod in from a free kick. For a moment I was dreaming of routing Los Rojiblancos & perhaps even costing Simeone his job.

My fantasies didn't last long though as Athletico immediately showed their quality, dominating play, possession & chances.

It took them until the half hour mark but eventually they equalised & went straight back to hammering us. It was a massacre! We looked overwhelmed!

Once again they took their time in finishing us off. 33 minutes of almost constant pressure though & they had their lead. After which they inexplicably went back into their shells & allowed us back into the game.

In the 72nd minute I was once again dreaming of finishing the stronger of the 2 teams & perhaps even nicking all 3 points when Ezequiel broke the line & slotted our equaliser but it wasn't to be.

In the 2nd minute of added time Lucas Moura got Athletico their win, deservedly so. For us to have gotten even a point here would have been highway robbery!"

P2TOEVl.jpg

oPVlsoM.jpg

Despite 2 losses on the bounce we retain 2nd position by virtue of our win over Barca earlier in the year.

Performance notwithstanding that is still an unlucky way to lose away against a good side!!

Performance notwithstanding that is still an unlucky way to lose away against a good side!!

Yeah I suppose so. Players cant take all the blame. I have recently noticed a flaw in my tactic but have been stubbornly refusing to change it because we were winning, needless to say after 2 losses I will be addressing it. Better late then never :P

Its tough though because sometimes if you've got something thats working you dont want to wreck it.

I absolutely love what you've done with your layout!

The detail in your banners each game is beautiful!

I absolutely love what you've done with your layout!

The detail in your banners each game is beautiful!

Thanks mate, have been trying to improve in a lot of ways so nice to know it hasn't gone unnoticed :)

What on earth was Manquillo doing at right mid? :P Tough couple of results but they're both good teams, still doing incredibly well!

What on earth was Manquillo doing at right mid? :P Tough couple of results but they're both good teams, still doing incredibly well!

Yeah, seem to get a few strange selections like that.

2 results that, at the start of the year, wouldnt have surprised anyone in all honesty. Strange what a run of form does to lift your standards i suppose.

dCYqnG3.png

qWD0K53.jpg

Deportivo 4 - Malaga 1

Goals - Juanmi (8), Ezequiel (23), Ruben Perez (49, 57), Ineanacho (68)

P.O.M. - Ruben Perez (Deportivo)

qYWhhar.jpg

"I made a few little tweaks for this match & was confident pre-game of a much improved performance.

Malaga soon had me second guessing myself though when striker Juanmi escaped his man & put us down a goal in just the 8th minute! That's the same kind of horrible defending we pulled out against Athletico!

Thankfully though, the rot stopped there. From the moment the ball hitthe back of the net we looked like a different side, stroking the ball around comfortably, controlling the game & constantly putting Malaga under pressure with our movement off the ball & precise passing.

On 23 minutes we drew level as Bicho unleashed Ezequiel on goal with a delightful cross field switch. Despite our dominance though we went to the break on level terms, keep going boys!

Shortly after the resumption Ruben Perez put us ahead with what is now becoming a trademark thunderbolt from distance & when Bicho strolled into the box & cut the ball back to Perez on the edge of the area we were cruising as the talented midfielder bagged his brace & doubled our lead.

I encouraged the guys to push on & they again responded. Bicho again pulling the strings as he played striker Kelechi Ifeanacho in for his first goal for the club & a resounding 4-1 margin. A very nice win against good opposition."

DoupcFo.jpg

5heop2I.jpg

YtDqy9M.png

BsuZMb5.jpg

Real Sociedad 1 - Deportivo 1

Goals - De la Bella (78), Victor Ruiz (88)

P.O.M. - Victor Ruiz (Deportivo)

5JxyuWg.jpg

"At the conclusion of this game I was far from happy. We are 2nd in the league & Sociedad are dominating us? Then I remembered where we have come from & that we are massively over achieving at the minute!

Going away to Real Sociedad & coming back with a point would have been perfectly acceptable at the start of the year. They're a decent side & we were nearly relegated last year. The fact that I was disappointed perhaps shows how far we've come in such a short space of time.

The game itself was completely unremarkable. Sociedad had the better of proceedings but we defended well & were well worth a point. I thought we had blown it when Alberto De la Bella scored from a corner in the 78th minute. We really hadn't created much so I had resigned myself to defeat but in the 88th minute Victor Ruiz drew us level (again from a corner) & we got our point.

A mixed bag of emotions but I'll take the point every day of the week & twice on Tuesdays!"

JfbnMLw.jpg

JhqKFZ4.jpg

Still doing incredibly well, almost halfway through the year and still in the hunt for CL!

Still doing incredibly well, almost halfway through the year and still in the hunt for CL!

Yeah that's what I am trying to tell myself.

I think over ambition could lead to our downfall so its important to remember what we really are. A decent mid table team. If I start approaching each game like we are a genuine title contender we could get demolished a few times!

wuDeGNq.png

Bm7RGum.jpg

Deportivo 1 - Alcorcon 0

Goals - N'Djeng (7, pen)

P.O.M. - Alvaro Silva (Alcorcon)

gETcY2Y.jpg

"I decided to try out a new shape in this match, call me cocky but I didn't feel overly threatened by Alcorcon.

Things started well for us, we had the better of play & were awarded a penalty in just the 7th minute. Yannick N'Djeng stepped up to the spot to score his second goal for the club & give us the lead.

I wouldn't say we dominated up until the 59th minute (when Etienne Capoue received his marching orders for a horror tackle, See match header), but we definitely had the better of things & I was confident we could add another goal or 2 to make the score-line a bit more comfortable.

As they do though, red cards change matches & all of a sudden we were under the pump. In the end I ended up playing with a flat back 4 with a line of 3 defensive mids in front & 2 strikers up top.

It seemed to work as we managed to see out the game & even got the odd chance on the break. Lesson learnt, there are no easy games!!!"

FySmsza.jpg

cT3w7Xo.jpg

Love the work with the header mate. Looks like a meaty challenge :)

Love the work with the header mate. Looks like a meaty challenge :)

I was so ****** he as given a straight red until I went back & watched he replay. It was indeed a chunky one look how high he leapt off the ground! LOL

Last edited:
Back